shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion vs. Cushette

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
What is the difference between a cushion cut and a cushette? Thanks for the info!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi GC,

I can't tell you about the actual cut differences, but I can give you some video links, which might actually "tell" you more.
28.gif

http://www.vimeo.com/5018428

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/3400/ (video in upper right)

HTH!

Lauren Q

Rough_Rock
GC,

A cushette has 77 facets compared to the cushion with 58 allowing for more brilliance and fire. The cutting method for the cushette is known as the Rosetta Process.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will find regular cushions and cushettes do look different from one another. Many cushettes have visual appeal going for them. The way they are cut allows the stone to get a reasonably thin girdle comment on lab reports yet just below the girdle reside very slightly angled facets which substitute for extremely wide girdle faceting. It is a game of sorts to get the lab comment they want and still cut the diamond "heavy". Visually, it is effective however. Sometimes a great standard cushion comes along, but many standard cushion cuts are not visually effective. Most of the super-premium cushions are highly attractive, and very brilliant, but most cushion cuts are watery and not premium cut stones.

You will find substantial variation in the cut of standard as well as cushette diamonds. They do not all look the same, so you cannot safely assume that one good one will mean another will look as good. They just are not cut nearly identically regardless of the "brand".

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lauren and Dave!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 2:07:23 PM
Author: Lauren Q
GC,

A cushette has 77 facets compared to the cushion with 58 allowing for more brilliance and fire. The cutting method for the cushette is known as the Rosetta Process.
What is the Rosetta Process? Never heard of it?

Lauren Q

Rough_Rock
As David mentioned above, "brand." I should clarify and say one of the cutting methods is the Rosetta Process. I''m sure there are many others out there. It is a patented cutting method whereby 8 additional facets are placed in the pavilion producing greater light reflection.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 6:14:08 PM
As David mentioned above, ''brand.'' I should clarify and say one of the cutting methods is the Rosetta Process. I''m sure there are many others out there. It is a patented cutting method whereby 8 additional facets are placed in the pavilion producing greater light reflection.
OK..., be careful not to expose sensitive IP info....;-)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You really need to see a cushette to decide if you like it or not. First, a cushion can vary greatly in appearance and they also vary greatly from the cushette. In our plain people speak, the cushette has small flashes. I was at gog and they showed me a cushette, square H&A, their signature OMC, and I had a modern 8 main cushion. All had very different looks and for me .. the cushette was my least favorite.

GoSharks

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 7:30:05 PM
Author: DiaGem
Date: 8/21/2009 6:14:08 PM

As David mentioned above, 'brand.' I should clarify and say one of the cutting methods is the Rosetta Process. I'm sure there are many others out there. It is a patented cutting method whereby 8 additional facets are placed in the pavilion producing greater light reflection.
OK..., be careful not to expose sensitive IP info....;-)

Patents are public information. In fact you can probably use the Google Patent search to find anything patented about gem cuts, just like anything else that is patented.

If you patent something, you are required to publicly disclose your information, in exchange for the patent protection.

So if the patent is already granted, and the cut is truly patented, it is public knowledge.

The idea behind patents is that we can both disclosed the information to the world, for others to gain from learning about the idea to help them create more new ideas, and simultaneously protect the patent creator so he agrees to share and not hide his creation.

That said, the opposite is true if it is not patented, but kept as a trade secret. That stuff you are not supposed to throw around in forums!

Edit to add patent links:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=8NYSAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

That doesn't seem like the full patent, no text just drawings, but I'm sure its out there in the Google Patent site somewhere.

While I am at it, I stumbled across the Tiffany Novo patent if anyone wants a look:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=PqAXAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 8:23:05 PM
Author: GoSharks

While I am at it, I stumbled across the Tiffany Novo patent if anyone wants a look:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=PqAXAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Just correcting the name..., but thanks for posting GS...

Lucida patent.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results