shape
carat
color
clarity

Want a scheduled c-section...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
I had a feeling this topic would bring on some debates. Which is good, I need to hear them all. Thanks for everyone''s input.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I always thought I''d be a definite for an elective c-section because of all my spinal surgery. The added bonus of keeping one''s bits a little better preserved also seemed like a good thing!

I was therefore very suprised when both my spinal neurosurgeon and my spinal physio said on no account to have a c-section unless it was medically necessary as it would do far more damage to my spine than VB would - mainly because of the messing about with abdominal muscles which are vital to spinal stability.

My father and my uncle (who is an OB) are both very anti elective c-sections and I have seen some pretty nasty pictures and read some horrific articles of c-sections where the wound got infected and things went very badly wrong.

In the end, I am prepared for either - the only things I really care about is a happy ending and zero pain as I''m a total wuss!

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Hi Peepa....after 72 hours of very intense labor which lead to complications, I had to have an emergency c-section which I would not wish on anyone. With my second, I really wanted to try VBAC but my doctor actually talked me out of it and scheduled my c-section. I went to UCSF in San Francisco and I could recommend my doctor if you are interested.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Tacori--funny u mentioned the wider hips thing. I actually think my hips are a tad wider now but didn''t know of anyone who ever complained of this post-baby so i thought maybe i was imagining it--but i view this as a plus to a v-birth b/c i have narrow hips and a squarish figure so i wanted more distinction b/w my waist and hips-lol go figure
3.gif

You bring up a good point about the potential for having to recover from something (stitches and temp. incontinence were no fun for me), or ''miss out'' on a moment no matter what way you give birth.

Peepa--i am glad u are okay with the ''debate'' b/c u just asked for a referal and now look what you''ve got!
2.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I find all of this very interesting. There was a story on that study about c's before 39 weeks on the news the other night.

Peepa, I hope you don't feel like anyone here (especially myself) is trying to "sway" you one way or another. Each woman's experience is different and I think the one thing we all have in common is that we were lucky enough to have healthy babies at the end of it all. That's all you can ask for, right!
2.gif
Good luck in your search and keep us posted!
21.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Burk, the link I posted was actually to an article on that story.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jas12, he has been in medicine for 30+ years and SWEARS it is true. Haha. Of course *I* had birthing hips to START with! But with vanity you give up one thing for another huh. Scar or wider hips...all a wash to me. Personally I always hoped I would deliver ALL my children the same way. Now that I had a VB, I would hate to have a c-sec. If I started with a c-sec I would have all my babies that way. KWIM!?! But people talking about complications and sometimes forget VB doesn''t always equal an easy birth and recovery. The only thing predictable about labor is that it is UNpredictable! Good thing the baby is SO worth it.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Robbie, I didn''t read the article carefully because I had seen the story on our local news. Very interesting!

Tacori~My worst fear was that I''d push and push and then have to have a c-section, therefore basically having to go through both! I agree, hopefully I''m able to have them all the same way, which will now be vaginally.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
There was just something about this on The Drs today...the ob/gyn was very passionate about there being pros and cons on each side...if you chose either way, things will likely be fine...but there is a large pro and con list for both...and that while the guys were pretty flip about "just go natural" she said that natural doesn''t mean best and that there can be some pretty bad recovery issues from natural too...so there is just no right answer...I also am more inclined for the C-section....

Best of luck to you..hope you find someone!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone is different, i know that. What is right for one is not for another. I know that as well. This was my experieince.

DD#1 was vaginal. Labor started early am hours. checked into hospital at 5 pm and had her at 9:50. DD was put on my tummy, I nursed, cuddled, snuggled held and held her while they took care of me. Took a shower within a few hours and was out of the hospital late the next day. Recovery was quick. stamina and feeling like myself returned quickly.

DD#2 emergency c-section due to excess amniotic fluid. she floated in me and was never head down. Dr. thought my uterus would ruptured due to the excess fluid in it. Numerous complications during the c-section, painful recovery. Could not interact with my new baby like I could right away after the vaginal birth of my first DD. Swore I would never have another child unless someone could guarantee me NO C-SECTION.

DD#3 almost 8 yrs later
I held out over a week past the first suggestion from my dr. to take her c-section due to my bp rising. i said no i wanted a VBAC. No induction when you have had a prior c-section. Went in for a BP check (which I was having to do everyday... and they took me upstairs and had her out via c-section w/in an hour. No choice.

Surgery and Recovery was better, but same issues. They take your baby away soon after while drs stitch you back up and take you to recovery until you can go to your room to be reunited with your baby. Daddy and baby bond while mommy is in recovery.

I hated that part..........I support and very well understand the whole concept of a healthy baby and mom outcome is the only option. However, after experiencing that initial bonding after having DD#1 and how she stayed with me, in my arms fully from the moment she came out....I feel the c-sections in that aspect were sad for me.

Also I felt so much better so much quicker not having had a c-section. It is major surgery and does a number on your body. It can take so much longer to get your strength back. Caring for a new baby and recuperating from surgery is difficult.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 2:09:00 PM
Author: Burk
Robbie, I didn''t read the article carefully because I had seen the story on our local news. Very interesting!

Tacori~My worst fear was that I''d push and push and then have to have a c-section, therefore basically having to go through both! I agree, hopefully I''m able to have them all the same way, which will now be vaginally.
That was why I seriously considered an elective C. It happened to two of my friends, and I did not want to risk going through both. I agree that I would want to have a second baby the same way -- now that the bits have been through it once, I would hate to have the ab scar too!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 9:36:50 PM
Author: lauralu

Surgery and Recovery was better, but same issues. They take your baby away soon after while drs stitch you back up and take you to recovery until you can go to your room to be reunited with your baby. Daddy and baby bond while mommy is in recovery.

I hated that part..........I support and very well understand the whole concept of a healthy baby and mom outcome is the only option. However, after experiencing that initial bonding after having DD#1 and how she stayed with me, in my arms fully from the moment she came out....I feel the c-sections in that aspect were sad for me.

After hearing about everyone else have this experience with their c-sections I wonder if it was because mine was scheduled or because my hospital is very pro-baby/mom bonding that I was allowed to have DH and the babies in the recovery room with me and even in the surgical suite while they stitched me up. Interesting for sure...now I am curious! I am going to ask my OB at my 6 week postpartum visit in a few weeks...

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
that is awesome neatfreak. i never even thought to ask the questions I needed too ask before my last DD was born. I was in so much denial over having to have a c-section. even while having it...that I never thought to ask how it was done or what I could demand per se.

All 3 of my daughters were born in 3 different hospitols. 3 different states even. DD# 1 was born at rose medical center in Denver. 28 babies born the day she was born

DD#2 was born at McKennen in Sioux Falls SD. Very big hospital and in all fairness she did need to go to the NICU about a half hour after she was born. However, I still didn't have that same time with her I did w/DD#1 right after she was born. Just not the same...I always say I guess if I had not had DD# 1's birthing experience to compare my other two i would not have known any difference.

DD#3 was born in a very small hospital in Mn. There wasn't even room for the isolate after she was born. It was right outside the OR.

Having a c-section planned would make a difference to some extent I would have to say. Atleast in knowing more about what all will be happening.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori & Jas my friends have commented on the bigger hips thing! Two of them are at their pre-baby weights but said their old jeans don''t fit in the hips. Makes sense to me! That''s a whole-lotta baby coming out there, seems like things need to "open up" a little...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Burk & Kay, that was my biggest fear too (and it almost happened!) Seriously the nurse kept hinting about a c-sec b/c I had been pushing so long. I was ready to give up but am so glad I didn''t.

DD, Honestly I am not sure if my hips are wider. I am still 5 lbs heavy but it seems to be all tummy. My legs and hips are pretty much back to normal and I can fit into my old jeans (barely). But I believe my dad. She said it is so common is South America to have an elective c-sec for vanity reasons. He does a lot of work down there.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 10:02:57 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 1/9/2009 9:36:50 PM
Author: lauralu

After hearing about everyone else have this experience with their c-sections I wonder if it was because mine was scheduled or because my hospital is very pro-baby/mom bonding that I was allowed to have DH and the babies in the recovery room with me and even in the surgical suite while they stitched me up. Interesting for sure...now I am curious! I am going to ask my OB at my 6 week postpartum visit in a few weeks...
Mine was an emergency, after a long and ultimately pointless labour! Honestly, I think I'd still be in labour if my midwife hadn't called a halt and got the surgical team in. I planned a waterbirth in a midwife led clinic, home the same day, no drugs etc. Hmm. Well, it didn't happen. I really didn't want a section, so the consultant agreed to try inducing me first, but that didn't work, so there was no choice and my baby's heartbeat was starting to slow with the contractions, so it had to be a c-section, straight away.

I had a spinal block, and the anaesthetist worked really hard to prevent nausea, shakes etc. He was fantastic. DH stayed with me the whole time (it was very quick, I seem to remember). I heard Amelia cry, then a few moments later she was handed to me in theatre, just for a short time. They took her into the next room (with DH to do whatever they do (I was drugged, not exactly sure what they did haha). She was wrapped up and given back to me while I was being stitched up and she didn't leave my side until we went home the next day. She was in a little perspex crib in the recovery ward, but when we moved up to a room for the night, the nurses had a little nest thing that she laid in so she could lie on the bed with me. I don't know what it was called, but it was made of a sort of foam, squishy material and held her safely beside me for co-sleeping in the very early hours. DH had to leave overnight, because there weren't any family rooms available. I was pretty upset about that, but all things considered, it was minor stuff. He was back the next morning and stayed with us until we went home.

My scar healed very quickly, stitches out after 5 days, no infection, no problems at all. It's actually hard to see now, 8 months on. I have very pale skin, don't know if that makes any difference. There's a fair bit of overhanging blubber, but um, that was sort of there to begin with, so I can't really blame it on the section (ha. watch me!)

My biggest fear ever, since childhood, was a c-section. My mother had one and was never done telling me how awful it was. Thanks mom! In the end, I actually quite enjoyed it, if that doesn't sound too weird. Once I got over the realisation that my nightmare was coming true. Amelia didn't have fluid in her lungs or any other problems, which is why they were able to let me have skin to skin contact with her more or less straight away. I don't know if this makes a difference, but the hospital / midwife clinic doesn't do anything except maternity. It was excellent. They were very keen to promote BFing, skin contact, rooming in and they weren't against co-sleeping. They also promote VBAC, but now, I really don't think I'd want to do that. I was probably just incredibly lucky, but my c-section experience was very positive.

Jen

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
I''m sure you''ll be able to find a doctor who will do a scheduled C-Section. I know plenty of women who have done that. Just a few things to consider:

1. make sure your insurance will pay for an elective surgery
2. make sure your future pediatrician agrees with the delivery date. As I''m sure your doctor has told you, even though a pregnancy is at a certain gestation it doesn''t mean the baby''s lungs are developed. Just make sure you and all of your medical team are on the same page.

Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be really amazed at this point if any insurance company allows an elective c-section for non-medical reasons!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 12:20:18 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
My father kept telling me to have a c-sec instead to preserve my figure
20.gif
He said with a VB the hips actually pop out slightly during delivery. I tend to believe him b/c he is the smartest person I ever met and is in the medical profession. Still...NOT enough reason for me to want one.

I also wanted to say that just b/c you have a VB does not mean there will be no complications. I was in the hospital for 5 days with a VB. I believe they charged my insurance close to $30,000. Of course it was paid for. B/c of meconium (sp?) in my water I also did not get to hold my daughter right away (with a VB). Nor did DH cut the cord. She was sent into the corner with the NICU. I briefly held her when they were done but she was sent to the nursery for observation and a bath quite quickly. My point is L&D is unpredictable no matter *HOW* you give birth.

You need to do what is best for you and your child. Good luck finding a doctor!
My hips are for sure bigger than they were pre-baby and I had a vaginal delivery. I can only squeeze into one pair of pre-baby jeans and none of my pre-baby work pants. I''ve lost all but about 5lbs of pregnancy weight.

I also agree that there can be serious complications with a vaginal delivery. My son was born at 36 weeks, 4 days and I had gestational diabetes. James was big for his gestational age and I''m a small person. I had a 4th degree episiotomy and then hemorraged after delivery. I also had a lot of trouble delivering the placenta and required a d&c after delivery. James was cleaned up and checked out in the labor/delivery room and then sent to the nicu while the doctors and nurses dealt with me. I needed a ton of stitches down there and two blood transfusions. I spent three nights in the hospital - which is a bit longer than what they usually keep you around here. According to my EOB statements from the insurance company they''ve paid around 26K for my prenatal care, labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum care
6.gif

Diva

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really think my hips are any wider. Most of my pre-preggo clothes fit 4 weeks after giving birth. I delivered vaginally. Every woman is different. I, like Jas12, would actually like it if they were since I have a pretty boyish figure-no curves.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 10:52:00 PM
Author: Burk
I don''t really think my hips are any wider. Most of my pre-preggo clothes fit 4 weeks after giving birth. I delivered vaginally. Every woman is different. I, like Jas12, would actually like it if they were since I have a pretty boyish figure-no curves.

I don''t know what you and Jas12 are yapping about.
I saw your pictures -- both of you are plenty curvy and voluptuous
5.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was always under the impression that your hips widened while pregnant to allow room, and sometimes they return to normal and sometimes they don''t, regardless of how you delivered. Is that not right?

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
The hormone relaxin causes the pelvis to loosen or widen during pregnancy. It also loosens up the ligaments that support the growing uterus.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My hips widened a ton, and I''m hippy to begin with! They got really sore and I was very wobbly from about 7 months on, but I had a rather large baby. I had a c-section, and the day I had my staples out I put on my regular jeans.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had 2 c-sections, one emergency, one elective. I wasn't given the choice of VBAC because of the problems with the first labour and delivery.

For the first one, recovery time was a b*tch! I couldn't carry my DD (8lbs 10oz) at all. The pain was pretty bad afterward. The bonding thing turned out to be a *big* issue with me unfortunately. I was just in so much pain at first that I couldn't relax and appreciate anything. So definitely not ideal, but it was traumatic to begin with. Scar was a bit lopsided, and turned upward on one end. It hurt for quite a long time.

For the second one, everything went much more smoothly and although I really believe it was scheduled too early (38 weeks), DD2 was perfectly healthy. She kept sleeping through the night though, and had to be woken for feedings. This is *not* the ideal for a newborn, so it was a little worrisome for us. Recovery time was much faster than vaginal birth roomate in fact. Except for the fact that they had a lot of trouble with the epidural which led to a loss of spinal fluid and a killer spinal headache, I was on my feet within about an hour and a half. Recovery time was very fast. Scar was the same basically, but there was no pain!

I don't think I'm the only one with this particular problem, but after the CS's, I did and do have an overlap of loose skin.
14.gif
I know that some moms are now able to ask for mini tummy tucks and such, but it was not and is not an option for me. Just wondering if that was a common after effect?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m one of those who does not understand why anyone would want to have a c-section, if it can be avoided. This is not referring to people who got c-sections due to medical necessity (though the c-section rate in the US is way higher than other developed countries, which is interesting). The (natural) birth of my two children were intimate and high points of my life that I was able to share with my husband. I am so glad I could experience that without having to be stuck on a bed, under the influence of anesthesia, hooked up to tubes. In general, the baby chooses the time of birth, when the baby is ready to be born; choosing an arbitrary birth date is not really in the best interest of the baby. Yes your body does change, but from people I''ve seen you recover alot quicker from a vaginal birth than a c-section (and there are exercises you can do before and after birth to help with those other muscles). My body''s not the same since being a mom but luckily my husband thinks I look more beautiful since I became a mom. And when you become a mom your whole life changes, the birth process is just the start of a whole host of changes where yes, you have to put your child wants and needs before your own, might as well get ready for that.
OK I''ll get off my soap box now
21.gif

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to reserve comment on the c-section vs vaginal debate because I''ve never been pregnant and don''t know enough to comment. However, RE the hips question: My mother, who is rather petite, has always said that she NEVER had hips until she had me. I''ve seen photos of her when she was younger, and she isn''t kidding. Whether the same thing is common for those WITH hips before pregnancy, I have no idea.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your body does change after giving birth. I''m within 5 pounds of pre bab(ie)s weight (2 over 6 years). A couple months ago I took out all the jeans I put away with the first child. About half I literally could not zip up even though my weight is almost the same; it is like my hips changed. I am not hippy to begin so it''s a change I think few besides myself will notice.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
My first pregnancy ended in an emergency C section after 10 hours of labor. My 2nd child was born 6 years later and we had a scheduled C Section. My recovery for both was the exact same, very painful and very long.

I heard time and time again from women that the 2nd will be an easier recovery because your body isn't going through all the stesses of a vaginal birth-- the pushing, contractions etc.. In my case, this wasn't true! I expected it to be a breeze but the recovery was long and painful.

Unfortunately with the planned C-section I got an infection at the point of my inscision-- never thought that would happen to me especially after a scheduled c-section.

I am the only one out of my group of friends to have had a C-section and I just remember them feeling great afterwards, being able to hold their newborn, being able to get up almost immediately and walk around.. driving soon after delivery, going to the store etc...

Like the others have stated, I hope you do your research.. It is major abdominal surgery...

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Here in NYC (probably similar to LA), elective c-sections aren''t that uncommon. I was told that certain doctors can fudge the paperwork if the pregnant patient lets them know she is scared of labor and wants a c-section. I tried to ask my doctor if it was an option (at 39 weeks when I was panicking and getting scared) and she flat out said no, so doesn''t seem to have applied to me!

As for celebs and perceived benefits, TGAL nailed it. Cmon, celebs are selfish to start and they are not about sweating and going throug pain let alone the stretching factors (vanity reasons). This is why c-sections are also much more common in wealthier neighborhoods as well.

I delivered vaginally and my LO had meconium just like Tacori, so I also didn''t hold my baby for awhile and hubby didn''t cut the cord. And my hubby actually got to hold her first while the doctor stiched me up--it felt like ages! So I''m sad I didn''t experience that despite making it through delivery, but it was for the best I suppose. I DO notice my hips are wider but also thought that was a pg thing, not a delivery side effect. I''m not fitting into pre-preggo jeans and only able to get into my biggest pre-preggo work pants...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results