shape
carat
color
clarity

Kids and Braces??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
DH took my oldest daughters to the dentist today and he confirmed what he told us six months ago...at least one needs braces, maybe both (they are 8 years old). Our dental insurance doesn''t seem to cover orthodontics, so I was wondering what the average cost of braces is? Does anyone know about getting a supplemental dental insurance plan to assist with the cost?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't remember how much my braces cost, but I will tell you I regret having them. I had 8 teeth pulled at the age of 8, and I started getting jaw spasms shortly after getting them off after having them for a year. Those still continue to this day-almost ten years later. Unless it's medically necessary, and not a cosmetic thing, I wouldn't suggest anyone have them. I've been told that I can't eat anything chewy, or anything I have to bite into if I want to make it better. My jaw is permanently messed up now. It locks on a daily basis, I have to move it sideways to open my mouth or chew, and some days the pain is pretty unbearable.

Oh, and my bottom teeth are going back to the way they were. What a waste of thousands of dollars...

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Wow freke! I''m sorry you had such a bad experience!

I had a good experience except that my orthodontist was money hungry and kept on trying to keep my braces on even after everything was fine. I eventually took pliers to them and went in with 1/2 of them off so he was forced to take the rest off. What a jerk!

If your kids do what they are supposed to do, it won''t be that bad. I agree that it should be necessary (it was for me. My bite was so off I had a hard time chewing).

I''m sure there are horror stories (Freke is a good example of that), but I had braces as did every last one of my friends (except for 1) in middle/high school and none of us had terrible outcomes. We just have ridiculously straight teeth :)

I swear mine cost somewhere arund $3000. This was a few years ago though, keep in mind.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what they really cost because my parents paid for them, but I do recall my mother saying things like "Watch what you do with that mouth, there''s $3,000 worth of orthodontics in there." I''m sure your orthodontist can tell you exactly what you''re in for. Shop around, too, because prices really vary depending on your doctor.

I''m really grateful to my parents for my braces. I love my smile now! (Well, braces and four porcelain veneers later, but the veneers were purely cosmetic.)

Your girls sound young for braces, though. I had a couple friends who had braces put on around age 9 and then had to have them again when they were older. I had mine put on at the end of the 8th grade, and take off at the end of my sophomore year of high school.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Looks like we are in the same boat Girlrocks. My boys are about to get braces. It will run about $5000 per kid. It runs me a little less because my neighbor is the kids'' orthodontist!
9.gif
Most of the time they have in house payment plans. You put a chunk of $ down and pay monthly until the treatment is done.

I have no idea about a supplemental plan. I have DMO insurance that covers NOTHING! Get referrals from friends and have several consults. I was surprised at how crooked some dentist/orthodontists are. I''ll bet they will be willing to work with you since you have two that need ortho work.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
My uncle charges $3500.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 9:03:56 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I don't remember how much my braces cost, but I will tell you I regret having them. I had 8 teeth pulled at the age of 8, and I started getting jaw spasms shortly after getting them off after having them for a year. Those still continue to this day-almost ten years later. Unless it's medically necessary, and not a cosmetic thing, I wouldn't suggest anyone have them. I've been told that I can't eat anything chewy, or anything I have to bite into if I want to make it better. My jaw is permanently messed up now. It locks on a daily basis, I have to move it sideways to open my mouth or chew, and some days the pain is pretty unbearable.

Oh, and my bottom teeth are going back to the way they were. What a waste of thousands of dollars...
Why would 8 teeth get pulled? Wasn't that the cause of the jaw spasms. . .possibly you needed spacers untill your adult teeth came in? Your dentist seemed a bit extreme.
7.gif

Like Haven said, age eight is a bit young for braces. My son is that age and just lost another tooth today. What would be the point of getting braces when he has a gap in his mouth? I'd wait until 12+.

cara

Ideal_Rock
As to whether 8 is too young, it depends on the mouth and the kid! Really, find a dentist you trust to give you advice about what your daughters need and what age is appropriate for them to start treatment. If you need to, get a second opinion.

I had braces a little older than 8, sometime in the normal preteen/middle school years for 2 years and it wasn''t so bad cause many kids had them. Brushing was a pain, and my teeth reverted a bit (but not all the way) after because I didn''t wear my mouthpiece at night after.

My sister started orthodontal treatments starting at 8 and continued for more than 10 years, ultimately she needed major jaw surgery, but she had real medical reasons for it in addition to cosmetic. When she finally got the last bit of metal out of her mouth in college, she was so so thrilled (as well as happy with her facial appearance.)

My mother had braces recently and even though hers were white/clear, she was very self-conscious. She basically made an awkward teeth-covering smile for two years, so I definitely vote for the middle school years if its possible for braces so that one is not alone among your peers.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Mine were about $3500 fifteen years ago.......
I had bite issues that needed to be corrected. It was suggested that I needed surgery on my jaw but I opted out. The total would have been closer to $7000 with the surgery.
I better start saving $$$ now because my two year has my teeth. I mean his teeth are like an exact replica.....
Genetics
20.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Mine were about $3000 but I think insurance covered part of it maybe. I remember my mom only had to pay $100 a month so it wasn''t like all at once or anything.

I needed braces desperately and we got 2 different opinions before settling on an orthodontist. The first one wanted to pull 4 permanent teeth and the second one said it wasn''t neccessary so we went with him. Well, I had my braces for 4 years and ended up having to have those 4 teeth removed anyway and then had them put back on for another 4 years. I had TMJ before braces and it was definitely aggrevated by having them but I''d rather have straight teeth.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My sixteen year old daughter had braces and I think they were about $4000. My fourteen year old has them right now and hers were $3600 because we got a discount for her being the second child. I don''t know anything about supplemental dental insurance.

I had braces and am glad I did. I wish I would have kept wearing my retainers at night because my teeth have shifted a bit. Back then they didn''t tell people that you basically have to wear your retainers forever.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Both my kids had palatal expanders starting when they were around 7 or 8. It widened their jaws to make enough room for all their adult teeth so none had to be removed. Once the palatel expanders came off my kids waited until their adult teeth came in and had regular braces put on. So we got to spread our expense out and the expanders meant they didn''t need the regular braces on as long.

My kids had crowding (big teeth, small jaws). I was so happy with their results I had Invisalign to straighten out my own teeth and now have just the retainers to wear. It was a very good experience and I am so glad we have straight teeth and good bites. My daughter has TMJ (jaw issues) which have nothing to do with her braces. Problems with TMJ usually start around puberty which is the same time many kids get braces.

Even if you don''t have ortho insurance sometimes you can still get the x-rays and exams covered. Most orthodontists offer payment plans, too. We had insurance but it only covered $1000 for each of us.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should mention that my braces were not put on when I was 8. I was told that I needed to have the 8 baby teeth pulled and that I should have jaw surgery to correct my jawline. The surgery was purely cosmetic, would have placed a permanent chunk of metal in both sides of my jaw, and would have moved my chin forward by a couple of millimeters. I said no (at 8!) to that.

My braces were on from 12-13.

I wore my retainers religiously and my bottom teeth have still moved back.

Technically I would have to have surgery to fix the muscles in my jaw. Or have my jaw wired shut so they can go back to being around the same size again. The right side is more than 4 times as large as the one of the left side.

Not cool. Not cool at all.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
WOW Freke thats terrible.

I currently have braces (as an adult) and I love them, mine cost $6000 dollars but I make monthly payments so it is no biggy.

I also had to have 7 teeth removed, but most of the spaces have closed and you will not be able to tell once he is finished because my teeth are really wide. So once all is said and done with pre-work I will be the girl with the 10k smile, to me it has been worth every penny.

Make sure to research your orthodontist, and the techniques they want to use I puffy heart my orthodontist he is fantastic, really very good, nice a PERFECTIONIST and massively qualified. A good place to go research braces is archwired it is a forum with loads of information.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 3:05:20 AM
Author: swingirl
Both my kids had palatal expanders starting when they were around 7 or 8. It widened their jaws to make enough room for all their adult teeth so none had to be removed. Once the palatel expanders came off my kids waited until their adult teeth came in and had regular braces put on. So we got to spread our expense out and the expanders meant they didn''t need the regular braces on as long.

My kids had crowding (big teeth, small jaws). I was so happy with their results I had Invisalign to straighten out my own teeth and now have just the retainers to wear. It was a very good experience and I am so glad we have straight teeth and good bites. My daughter has TMJ (jaw issues) which have nothing to do with her braces. Problems with TMJ usually start around puberty which is the same time many kids get braces.

Even if you don''t have ortho insurance sometimes you can still get the x-rays and exams covered. Most orthodontists offer payment plans, too. We had insurance but it only covered $1000 for each of us.
WOW, thanks, I didn''t even know that was an option.

This was the dentist telling us, and I know I have to get the actual course of action from the orthodontist, but the dentist thought she would need 2 teeth pulled on the bottom now! Her teeth are so crammed in her mouth, that the front bottom 4 are actually turned sideways (front to back). Maybe expanders would help that.

She also has a serious overbite issue.

My daughters starting loosing teeth early at the age of 5 (just had turned 5 actually when she lost the first 2) so they have lost the bottom front 4 and top front 4 and had the adult teeth grow in fully so the dentist said that is the key time to start treatment.

I think I''ll take her in January after the holidays to an orthodontist to find out more.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 2:37:11 AM
Author: Cind11
My sixteen year old daughter had braces and I think they were about $4000. My fourteen year old has them right now and hers were $3600 because we got a discount for her being the second child. I don''t know anything about supplemental dental insurance.

I had braces and am glad I did. I wish I would have kept wearing my retainers at night because my teeth have shifted a bit. Back then they didn''t tell people that you basically have to wear your retainers forever.
Wow, that''s good to know too...maybe I can get a "twins discount"!
2.gif

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 11:40:45 PM
Author: Miranda
Looks like we are in the same boat Girlrocks. My boys are about to get braces. It will run about $5000 per kid. It runs me a little less because my neighbor is the kids'' orthodontist!
9.gif
Most of the time they have in house payment plans. You put a chunk of $ down and pay monthly until the treatment is done.

I have no idea about a supplemental plan. I have DMO insurance that covers NOTHING! Get referrals from friends and have several consults. I was surprised at how crooked some dentist/orthodontists are. I''ll bet they will be willing to work with you since you have two that need ortho work.
I was thinking about $5,000 a piece, so that sounds about right with what everyone is saying! Our insurance covers NOT ONE PENNY of it too. Thanks for the advice to shop around, I didn''t realize that either.

And just when I was planning to buy a new car in the spring....
8.gif

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Freke, sorry that you had to experience that at such a young age and for such a long time too...that''s terrible. Thanks for sharing your experience, I will definitely pay attention to what is needed medically and just not cosmetically. They can make any cosmetic decisions for themselves when they get older.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter is 13 and we have been told she needs braces as well. She has an overbite. it does not bother her, she can eat fine, chew fine. Cosmetically though. She does need them. She has what people refer to as buck teeth. Not sever, but enough that I know I won''t make her wait until she is an adult to have them put on with her own money.

I have not been able afford them. Our quote 2 years ago was $5000. I am shooting for this next spring to have them put on.

Many kids went through their growing up years without braces. Unless it it medically necessary or their is an obvious cosmetic reason. I am of the opinion of seeing no need for parents to drain their savings, or financially strain themselves because an ortho says they need braces.

If you can afford them without hardship that is a different story.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I had a ton of dental work done as a kid--palate expander, "bite block" to get my mouth used to the correct position, 4 years of braces (from 10-14), and retainers for a few years. I had to have some baby teeth pulled so that the adult ones would come in, but no adult teeth (aside from wisdom teeth).

I haven''t worn my retainer since high school, but my teeth haven''t shifted at all. I am really happy I had braces, as I had a terrible overbite. Even though at the time I hated them, I am very grateful for having a nice smile now.

Lillers

Rough_Rock
My parents had all four of us kids in braces at the same time. I believe our ortho gave us a discount. It wouldn''t hurt to ask! Plus, he had a payment plan, where he set the price before doing any work (based on his professional opinion), and throughout the process, we paid it off. That way, if it went "over schedule" we weren''t forced to pay extra. And let me tell you, I think ALL of us had them on longer than he said! All in all, if you can afford it, I would do it. I am so much happier now with my pretty teeth.
In terms of teeth shifting, my ortho put in a permanent retainer, which was a small strip of metal that went BEHIND my teeth that stayed on for 5 years, and then he removed it. That was 10 years ago, and I haven''t had any teeth shifting at all.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
My uncle does give discounts and if the family has a hardship, he will work with them. He makes more than enough, I think it''s the least he could do.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
$5,060 for my son. And no teeth pulled. I was against pulling teeth so glad it was not recommened or I''m not sure I would have done it for him. He was very self concious of his teeth and really needed them. I had braces as a kid and am really glad I have straight teeth now.

Hopefully we will get a discount when my other kids need them/ if they need them. I already know my now 9 year old will.

Freke, what an awful experience. It sounds like malpractice. 8 is SO young and I can''t imagine pulling 8 teeth. I wonder if the ortho pulled so many because they were charging by the tooth? Sounds like serious malpractice/ bad medicine to me. What an awful ordeal and a good lesson for others to question, question, question and seek other opinions if something does not seem right before any work is done.

There are some now who do braces young, but the ortho I ended up choosing does not believe in putting on braces until the baby teeth have fallen out unless there is some unusual problem.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had braces "installed" in 2007. I think the total cost is around $5k, and I am on a payment plan where I pay monthly during the course of treatment which is estimated to be 18-24 months, and then retainers for 6 months. My dental insurance at the time (Delta) paid $1k and the rest is out of pocket. I had some bite issues, and actually had to have oral surgery first to correct that (my palate was supposed to have been expanded when I was a kid but the appliance didn''t work and I got fed up and stopped treatment period.) Also had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. That surgery ran about $7k, half of which my medical insurance paid because my surgeon wrote them a letter stating that it was medically necessary for me to have the procedure (so I could eat and digest properly, and so that my teeth would not wear down faster than normal.) I did get several opinions and took about a year to make the decision before I started treatment...I''m 31, and I think that with an 8 year old you definitely have some time there to figure out the best plan for your child''s orthodontic needs. I''m not sure about the supplemental dental insurance, I have never heard of that. There is a great site for adults with braces called archwired.com, it''s a forum kind of like PS devoted to all things orthodontic, and there is a wealth of information on that site. I''m sure they can also help answer these sorts of questions! Good luck with your decision!
35.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My oldest son had braces put on in 2002 and they cost me around $4000
38.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
As far as a time frames goes, there are curtain things they can do with your jaw bone growth before you go through puberty. Some orthodontists are more trained with bone growth issues and others are not. My daughter had an over bite and it was exacerbated by thumb sucking from 3 months old. We had the palatal expander "installed" and it included a little prong which ended the thumb sucking (daughter was extremely grateful since she was in 3rd grade and starting to get self-conscious).

If you aren't 100% comfortable with the ortho plan get another opinion (and cost quote). You can take your x-rays and have someone else look at them. Our orthodontist is a keeper. My friend's kid had teeth coming in completely backwards. They were able to rotate the teeth 180 degrees!

FrekeChild, sounds like you had a horrible experience. You poor thing! Sorry braces didn't help in your case.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there an orthodontic school near you? Me and 3 of my 4 siblings all had braces, and my mom discovered that a major orthodontic school about an hour away from us charged a lot less than the regular orthodontist. So after my older sister had super expensive braces, my mom had the rest of us get them at the orthodontic school. The students did the work and were supervised by their professors/seasoned orthodontists. My teeth are perfectly straight now, and I had no problems at the time, either.

All of the students meet about each patient and come up with the best treatment plan with their professors, and my mom liked that, too. The same professor (and the same student until they graduate) works with you the whole time so it''s not like a million people mess with your teeth, either. So I would definitely recommend trying to find an orthodontic school near you that accepts patients!

As far as cost, they had a sliding payment scale, so you paid based on your income, and my mom said that even though my parents paid the full amount it was still a lot cheaper than a regular orthodontist. I don''t know how much it was, and it was 10 years ago, but I''m sure it would still be cheaper than a regular orthodontist.

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
hi,
i did not read all of your responses so sorry if i am repeating. my son''s mouth was too narrow. he had a palate expander(which i HATED) cuz you''re basically "winding" their jaw wider. then he had braces probably 3rd to 4th grade, maybe 2 years total. THEN he went back into braces in grades 6-8ish....i would NEVER do that again. please consider NOT doing braces so early because it seems then orthos want a second round later. my son was so mad and i truly felt i did the wrong thing by listening to the ortho to start treatment when jake was so young... i think it''s hard for most kids to endure 1-2 1/2years but to do it twice? i feel very badly that i did that to my son! good luck with your decision :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results