shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your motivation secrets for weightloss!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
I need help motivating to lose 10 lbs.... I have a gym membership but I''''m lucky if I use it 1 time a week! I haven''''t been good about eating and it''''s BATHING SUIT SEASON and we have a pool

Can you share any tricks on what has helped motivate or keep you motivated to exercise and also watch what you eat?
I know that in the past if I wrote down my intake I tended to do better..... I don''''t do well with the "gift" thing after I reach my goal becuase I know I can just go out and get whatever it was anyway in then end.... see where I am going with this??? I need motivation and accountability

Thanks everyone!!!!!

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
I find exercise is the most important thing - if you exercise, you tend to watch your food intake more closely because you don''t want to ruin all your hard work.

If you find motivation a problem, I recommend a personal trainer once a week. I know it can be expensive, but the results are worth it - you have the extra motivation and commitment.

Cycle / spin class is an AMAZING fat burner! Use your gym membership!! 3 x 45min sessions per week is sufficient!

Good luck, I know it''s a struggle. Just stay positive and focused!
9.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
You might come over to the healthy lifestyle board--there are a lot of great people on there who will share their stories and tips. You have to click on the list of all forums to get there (it''s not listed on the dropdown menu).

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 12:37:38 PM
Author: ladypirate
You might come over to the healthy lifestyle board--there are a lot of great people on there who will share their stories and tips. You have to click on the list of all forums to get there (it''s not listed on the dropdown menu).
23.gif
more forums I didn''t know about???? I really am never going to leave
6.gif

Thanks.... I will hop on over there!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
My dad is very, very active even though he''s 60. He''s a champion racer and runs or works out everyday. But he still gets a little extra around the middle sometimes. Which is bad bad bad bad, because heart disease kills all the men in his family, all the way back.

Here''s how he motivates himself. He says "Wow, this tastes REALLY good. But not as good as it tastes to be alive and in good health!"

You could do a variation: "Not as good as it tastes to feel hot in my bikini!"

Just concentrate on that feeling - mmmm. I''m hot hot hot! and maybe it will help you prefer that to the biiiiig chocolate brownie with frosting and sprinkles. That I admit I wolfed down yesterday on the way home from work. Oops.

25.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
BTW, my personal motivator is how much of a kick I get out of my muscliness. Especially my abs, which, if I do say so myself, are awesome. I enjoy it and that motivates me to do another 25 situps when I''d rather not.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think finding what works best for you is important--are you motivated on your own or do you do better in classes where you are pushed? Or maybe you need a push, but don''t like the idea of being around a lot of other people, so a personal trainer is a better option. Also, what do you love to do? I know that I can''t stay on a treadmill for more than 5 minutes without wanting to jump off, but running outside is fine. Stick me on a weight machine and I will hate it, but I can rock climb for hours on and and have every muscle in my body burning and love every minute of it.

Also, I find my DH to be very motivating--we both love climbing and he is very, very active, so we tend to push each other. He knows I don''t respond to any type of verbal encouragement, but if we are hiking and he stays a few paces in front of me I will push myself to keep up. Or if we''re rock climbing and he''s belaying me, it keeps me on my toes. I don''t want him thinking he''s as good as I am after all, haha.

I also do things on my own--I take dance classes because I love it, I also take horseback riding lessons--nothing makes me happier and it''s such a great workout for my abs, thighs and buns. Finding things I love to do and wanting to get better at them is what keeps me fit. For me, it''s not about how I look, but about how it makes me feel. I''ve been more sedintary lately and I hate the way it''s making me feel more than I hate the few pounds I''ve put on...though that stinks, too.

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 10:56:17 AM
Author: claireabelle
I find exercise is the most important thing - if you exercise, you tend to watch your food intake more closely because you don''t want to ruin all your hard work.

If you find motivation a problem, I recommend a personal trainer once a week. I know it can be expensive, but the results are worth it - you have the extra motivation and commitment.

Cycle / spin class is an AMAZING fat burner! Use your gym membership!! 3 x 45min sessions per week is sufficient!

Good luck, I know it''s a struggle. Just stay positive and focused!
9.gif
True True.... I know the only good way is through exercise... and amazingly I do enjoy it once I get there! I feel great afterwards, I am glad I went.... it''s just getting there! A personal trainer is perfect but out of my budget right now unfortunately. Thanks for the encouragement! I could always use that
9.gif

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 2:06:08 PM
Author: Independent Gal
BTW, my personal motivator is how much of a kick I get out of my muscliness. Especially my abs, which, if I do say so myself, are awesome. I enjoy it and that motivates me to do another 25 situps when I''d rather not.
Thanks for sharing your story about your dad.... it''s inspiring
Nice kudos to yourself!
36.gif
I know that even after I hit a milestone somewhere I focus on the next target and then never look at what I accomplished.... hmmmmmmmmmm maybe that could be part of the motivation problem to!
40.gif

Definately will need to focus on that when I start to see results! Thanks

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 3:15:09 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I think finding what works best for you is important--are you motivated on your own or do you do better in classes where you are pushed? Or maybe you need a push, but don''t like the idea of being around a lot of other people, so a personal trainer is a better option. Also, what do you love to do? I know that I can''t stay on a treadmill for more than 5 minutes without wanting to jump off, but running outside is fine. Stick me on a weight machine and I will hate it, but I can rock climb for hours on and and have every muscle in my body burning and love every minute of it.

Also, I find my DH to be very motivating--we both love climbing and he is very, very active, so we tend to push each other. He knows I don''t respond to any type of verbal encouragement, but if we are hiking and he stays a few paces in front of me I will push myself to keep up. Or if we''re rock climbing and he''s belaying me, it keeps me on my toes. I don''t want him thinking he''s as good as I am after all, haha.

I also do things on my own--I take dance classes because I love it, I also take horseback riding lessons--nothing makes me happier and it''s such a great workout for my abs, thighs and buns. Finding things I love to do and wanting to get better at them is what keeps me fit. For me, it''s not about how I look, but about how it makes me feel. I''ve been more sedintary lately and I hate the way it''s making me feel more than I hate the few pounds I''ve put on...though that stinks, too.
That''s probably the money answer right there!
22.gif
I probably don''t stick with it becuase it''s not things I am committed to and love. Hmmmmmm now to figure out what that is and how to fit it in my schedule

I have heard when the focus is on the feeling and not the look people have better success as well.

Thanks for reminding me of that!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My biggest motivator is putting on clothes I've had that should fit me, but don't (or don't as well as they should). That's pretty much all it takes. Get out some favorites of yours that maybe haven't fit in awhile, and see where you used to be. Then strive to fit in them again.
28.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my motivation to lose weight 2-3 years ago was that i had turned 30 and i thought, geeze it's all down hill from here in terms of my body, my skin, my looks hahhaa. and then i thought, well i am so not even the BEST person i can be right now, as in health and all that. and i was also tired of having old clothes that didn't fit OR new clothes just never looked the way i wanted them to. what is the point of spending $$ on something you like in the store if it looks sucky on you?

also it was kind of a challenge to do it. i only wanted to lose 10 lbs or so i thought, but i ended up losing 20. apparently most everyone thought that was too much, so i started weight training to build more muscle, and put back on about 8-10 of the lbs but i still wear about 2-3 sizes smaller than when i first started since my body shape is totally different now.

for me it was a 'lifestyle change', not about just losing 10 lbs for swimsuit season....i wanted to find a way to be healthy for life. i hardly ever worked out OR i looked at it like a chore. now i work out about 5x a week with a variety of things, you have to switch it up or else you will get bored, i am doing a mixture of cardio dance, pilates and cardio now...but originally to lose the weight i did mostly cardio and cardio and cardio! i also walk a lot during the week like at lunch and stuff, just fun to get out and do something different than the cube life...if i am not active at least every day doing SOMETHING, even if it's just a walk, i feel restless and my body feels achy. it feels so great when i work out and stretch out my body and use it...because honestly our bodies are not meant to be as sedentary as our lifestyles are now.

i also have to still watch what i eat in a way, i have a sweet tooth so if left to my own devices i could eat really badly for my body. but now that i carry more muscle, i crave protein much more than carbs, and i try to balance out my eating with exercise. so there's my story...personally i think that motivation for people has to come from WITHIN...i can tell you what worked for me but until you are motivated and wake up one morning going you know what, this sucks, i don't want to carry this 10 lbs around anymore...you won't feel all that strong about 'sticking' with it. i have a few friends who always ask me what i did or for tips but then when i give them the tips, they don't DO anything about it...or it takes them another 6 months to really be fed up with themselves. so outside motivation is hard in my opinion...you have to really WANT IT bad enough to make your changes.

but it's great you are thinking about it, because those are the first steps in my opinion. and remember pretty much anything is doable once you set your mind to it! good luck!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
hahah Ellen...i've done that....put on your tighest outfit that you SHOULD be able to wear and go the mall on a Saturday afternoon! You'll bever eat again...I kid! Eh, unfortunately, my expeirence has been that you just have to plain ol' want it bad enough to make a healthy change tht probably doesn't have to be all that drastic....that and find an activity that you really enjoy...for me it's tennis or Walking Away the Pounds which is a real hoot!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ice Princess Cristy, I know what you mean about more threads you want to participate in on PS. I am a PS addict.
9.gif

My primary motivator was HEALTH. I''ve lost 156 pounds now. Other things that continue to motivate me is seeing results of my hard work. Being able to wear smaller clothes. Liking what you see in a mirror. Not being out of breath walking up a flight of steps. I no longer have high blood pressure or a rapid heart beat. I feel much better - both generally and about myself.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My inspiration is understanding the consequences of not eating carefully and failing to workout, I don''t want to go back there, so that is generally enough to keep me working at it!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Wow Marcyc...now that deserves congrats!!! These skinny chicks with 5 lbs to lost don''t get how hard it is LOL..KIDDING ladies..but to lose that much weight is an accomplishment and as far as I''m concerned, if you can do that, you can likely do ANYTHING!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I use a few things as motivation. First of all, I imagine myself at how I want to look. This makes me want to work harder to achieve it. I''ve kept pictures of people who look the way I want to look, and use that as inspiration. I read a lot of inspirational books. Also, active, pumped music tends to motivate me to get moving. Mostly it''s the pictures of people who inspire me to look better and get healthier. I read a lot of books on health, and eating right.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2008 3:11:15 PM
Author: moremoremore
Wow Marcyc...now that deserves congrats!!! These skinny chicks with 5 lbs to lost don''t get how hard it is LOL..KIDDING ladies..but to lose that much weight is an accomplishment and as far as I''m concerned, if you can do that, you can likely do ANYTHING!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Moremoremore. I appreciate it.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Ever since I started eating exactly what I wanted and stopped filling up, I''ve been thin - seemingly without effort. I swear. I was about thirty years old when I hit on this... I lost about 25 lbs without trying. I quit the trying, dieting, counting, bargaining, trading off this for that, the ups/downs, the two wardrobes, blah blah blah... That was 20 years ago. I still eat anything and everything I want, whenever I want. I just never get full and I never gain weight.

Do

not

fill

up.

Over the last two decades I''ve discovered that most so-called "naturally thin" people eat this way. Go figure!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ninama, what great success you''ve had and how cool you can eat anything you want. Congratulations.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 1:49:05 AM
Author: marcyc
Ninama, what great success you''ve had and how cool you can eat anything you want. Congratulations.

What''s cool is that it will work for *most* people. If I''d known it was possible, I''d have been very motivated a decade sooner.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/1/2008 11:12:31 AM
Author: Ninama

Date: 6/1/2008 1:49:05 AM

What''s cool is that it will work for *most* people. If I''d known it was possible, I''d have been very motivated a decade sooner.
I an nodding my head in agreement with you. I probably do the same thing you do but I count the calories as well. I do pretty much eat what I want. I so wish I''d figured this out sooner as well.
1.gif
And as I often say - Life is GOOD.

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 10:20:47 AM
Ice Princess Cristy, I know what you mean about more threads you want to participate in on PS. I am a PS addict.
9.gif

My primary motivator was HEALTH. I''ve lost 156 pounds now. Other things that continue to motivate me is seeing results of my hard work. Being able to wear smaller clothes. Liking what you see in a mirror. Not being out of breath walking up a flight of steps. I no longer have high blood pressure or a rapid heart beat. I feel much better - both generally and about myself.
Wow!!!
36.gif
What an accoplishment!!! Congrats to you!!!!! That is really amazing! I am very much in awe of you and the motivation and will you must have!

9.gif

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 1:00:57 AM
Author: Ninama
Ever since I started eating exactly what I wanted and stopped filling up, I''ve been thin - seemingly without effort. I swear. I was about thirty years old when I hit on this... I lost about 25 lbs without trying. I quit the trying, dieting, counting, bargaining, trading off this for that, the ups/downs, the two wardrobes, blah blah blah... That was 20 years ago. I still eat anything and everything I want, whenever I want. I just never get full and I never gain weight.

Do

not

fill

up.

Over the last two decades I''ve discovered that most so-called ''naturally thin'' people eat this way. Go figure!
Wow... what a concept.... you are probably right on the money with that. I know that if I deprive myself of something I either later binge on it, or eat 2x as much trying to satisfy that urge.... makes TONS of sense! Thanks

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
We just got a new puppy this weekend once I returned from my business trip (and yes, I missed all you lovelies the whole time
2.gif
). I think this is some of the motivation that I will need since she will need TONS of exercise and I have accountability becuase I will HAVE to take her! I am going to cancel my gym membership (was part of the deal to get her) and then start taking her out in the AMs for jogs. She is a doberman, so I doubt many people will bother me as I am running. I am really excited and definately think this will help. It''s like many of you said.... find something that is FUN to do and you enjoy.... I think I found that! Thanks
9.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2008 9:52:57 PM
Author: Ice Princess Cristy

Date: 5/26/2008 10:20:47 AM
9.gif

Wow!!!
36.gif
What an accoplishment!!! Congrats to you!!!!! That is really amazing! I am very much in awe of you and the motivation and will you must have!

9.gif
Thanks for the kind words about my accomplishment. Have fun with your new puppy. It sounds like you found a great and fun way to get in exercise.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I know this sounds bad, but I am secretly competitive with my friends. We all used to be the same size, a 6, but since we turned 30 and started having kids, that has fluctuated. I saw how some of my friends gained 50-70 pounds when they got pregnant, and never took off all of the weight, so I was determined to get back into my old size 6 jeans a year after having the baby.

First, I only gained 35 pounds with my pregnancy (I''m 5''9") and really tried to keep control over my eating when I was pregnant. I lost all 35 pounds by the time my son was 7 months old. I dieted for the first time in my life (really hard) on something like a weight watchers diet, with less bread. Basically, I just ate whatever I wanted, but in very small portions. Also, I was always arunner before I got pregnant, but I had a lot of trouble getting back into jogging after the baby. I started by just walking 2 miles a day, and now I''m up to jogging 2.5 miles a day again.

I also liked the book by Pasternak - The Five Factor Workout - it''s a 25 minute workout that I found very effective. Also, anyone can fit in a 25 minute workout, even with an infant at home.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, there are so many things that were motivators for me
Seeing my clothes get looser and looser
buying new clothes
feeling ''hot'' in my 2 piece
seeing muscle definition
hearing FI tell me how hot I look
getting checked out by people at the beach-seriously, HUGE ego boost
seeing FI get jealous over people checking me out at the beach ;-)
MY WEDDING DRESS-I haven''t ordered it yet but I found one I love and looking amazing in it is huge for me.

While I''m actually exercising I set small goals for myself. Running it''s the goal of getting to the end of a song, while biking it''s getting to 10 miles, etc. Small, achieveable goals make for a HUGE feeling of accomplishment at the end of your gym day.

I also work out in a gym which is in the building I work in. FI and I live an hour + away from work so we''re here super early (like 6:30am) instead of sitting at my desk reading PerezHilton.com or PS (sorry ladies) I go to the gym. I''ll purposely not shower at home so I HAVE to go to the gym to shower. Once I''m there I don''t want to just shower, that''d look weird. So I work out and then shower. It''s weird but it works for me.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I inherited the genetic cocktail of death from my parents.
20.gif
Both my grandfathers died of strokes, and everyone on my dad''s side has high cholesterol. Everyone. They start taking lipitor in their 20''s! Then add diabetes on my mom''s side, not to mention obesity for quite a few, and it''s not good. Not good at all.

I used to love sweets, which was kind of bad. Now I love grease, like french fries and pizza. I really can''t afford to eat like that. Fortunately, I really enjoy healthy food, but it''s still a struggle. I am just getting started, but my motivation is my health, though looking fantastic as a side effect won''t be bad.

Dammit, I want to love how I look naked!
34.gif

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
There are lots of things that motivate me to exercise. First I am on a mission to get back down to the weight I was when I first met my FI. The second one is kind of sad I guess. I am not trying to depress everyone but my brother passed away about a year ago from leukemia. I remember how much pain he was in everytime he went through chemo or had a pickline put into him. Everytime I start complaining about having to work out, I just think of how this is nothing compared to what he went through and tell myself to do it because he can''t anymore. The other one is a combination of my job and my family. I see people all of the time with all of these health problems and just think that is not what I want to be like when I get older so I need to start taking care of myself now. I absolutely love the dance class they offer at my gym. I would go to all three of them if I could. I feel like a little kid that is just rambling on and on but thank you for this thread. It was really cool to see what motivates everyone.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results