shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunscreen?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
What sunscreen do you use on your face? It seems like I''ve tried everything and it isn''t working. After about a week of daily use when I go to apply it the next day my face feels like it''s on fire! A few seconds after putting the sunscreen on my face starts stinging and turning red in some cases.
6.gif
Any advice, what do you wear?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Firstly, are you sure it''s not Retinol, or some other treatment cream you are using on your face before you apply the sunscreen?
anyway, if you still think it''s the sunscreen that''s the problem, perhaps you should try a pure Zinc product, (physical sunscreen)like ''Invisible Zinc'' - they have a moisturising / foundation tint formulation, or perhaps an infants'' formulation sunscreen...?

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I would also recommend infant sunscree. I use Nivea light for my face (dont know if you have it in the US).
If the infants doesnt work, try some of the more expensive ones for sensitive skin, it sounds like you have a skin reaction to a chemical in the cream. Is this the first time this has happend??
35.gif

d2b

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I use Neutrogena Healthy Defense daily facial moisturizer, untinted, SPF 45. It''s in the skin care/moisturizer section usually.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I wear foundation & powder with SPF.

Sunscreens can definitely cause skin irritation. Look into a sunscreen with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide instead of avobenzone.

Paula Begoun, Blue Lizard & California Baby (Everyday Year-Round) have good options. GL!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''m just putting the sunscreen on with nothing else (I usually only wear lipgloss when it comes to make-up every day). But hmm..I am thinking maybe a different formulation would be good. I''ve tried a Neutrogena one and an infant sunscreen (with Titanium Dioxide I believe? or maybe it''s Zinc?), but I noticed they both also have oxybenzone(sp) in them..so that might be the problem? And I noticed this for the first time last summer, but didn''t really do anything about it. I am trying to take better care of my skin and since I have some freckles and whatnot on my face I am trying to protect them, so I noticed it again when I was wearing my Neutrogena every day. Then I switched to my Mom''s tinted moisturizer..same thing happened after about a week. Then I tried the baby sunscreen and the same thing happened after about 2 days. I don''t really remember this happening when I was a kid..it''s like my skin is changing or something. So weird. Anyway, I will check into all the ones y''all mentioned.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
What were the active ingredients in the sunscreens you've tried (avobenzone, Mexoryl SX, titanium / zinc dioxide etc), has it always been the same or have you been switching them up?

I would give the physical barrier sunscreens (titanium / zinc dioxide) a try, just in case you have a sensitivity to chemical sunscreens. The physical barrier sunscreens are generally more easily tolerated by sensitive skin. I know the Clinique CityBlock range uses physical sunscreens rather than chemical, might be worth a look. Also most of the mineral make-up ranges contain physical block sunscreen, but of course you have to be very careful that you apply enough and get it on evenly! I can't help all that much with product recommendations as we have different ones over here, but maybe if you list the ones you've already tried then people can recommend some alternatives?

Also, I'd suggest reading the articles on Cosmetics Cop to see if you can narrow down what's causing the irritation. Here's the link: Cosmetics Cop Articles
35.gif

ETA - see you've already listed the products! It really is just a tiresome process of elimination to find out what works for you and what doesn't. I highly recommend Paula Begoun (Cosmetics Cop) to learn more about skincare.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
My skin is very sensitive, and the only thing I can use with no stinging or breakouts is the Coppertone Oil-Free in SPF 15 or 30. It''s fragrance free also, and is just really light, not sticky, absorbs instantly, and doesn''t feel yucky if I reapply. I mostly use high-end products, but this is one of my faves for several years now.

I know they have a special formula just for face, but I haven''t tried it - I just use the big bottle designed for the whole body.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I've been using a sunscreen/moisturizer by Lancome for the past two years - every single day and my skin has never had any adverse reactions to it.

I swear by it - And it has SPF 30 - which is awesome for everyday use!

Lacome Bienfait Multi-Vital Moiturizer SPF 30

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
sarah, one of my favorites for very sensitive skin is called VANICREAM. there is an spf 35 (sport formula) or spf 60 (my favorite). these products were specially made to be free of chemical irritants (and lots of allergens as well). i *think* they are now selling them at walmart and target, but not entirely sure.
i''m a dermatologist and recommend them all the time! good luck.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been on the hunt as well. I first bought La Roche Posay 60 spf to protect my skin the best, but it was soooo greasy that I couldn''t do it.

I just bought (yesterday) the Shiseido 55 for face/body and so far I love it! It is a milky liquid, and dries matte and doesn''t ball up if I touch my face. It doesn''t come off with regular cleanser though - you need an oil cleanser to make sure you really get it off, but so far it is totally worth it. I understand the PPD is not as high as La Roche Posay, but I figure that at least I will wear this. Right?

So anyways - my recommendation is the Shiseido - love it so far!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
You should really consider my sunscreen. Its colore science''s sunforgettable. Its mineral based so there isn''t any organic things that cause allergies and it is a powder, so it doesn''t rub into your skin and irritate it. In that big sunscreen study they just did, it got the highest level of UVA and UVB protection.

Its expensive, but it truely lasts forever.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear Clarins eye cream w/sunscreen around my eyes and wear a hat for my face. I've yet to find a sunscreen that doesn't make me breakout so a hat seems a better option.

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 11:12:25 AM
Author: vespergirl
My skin is very sensitive, and the only thing I can use with no stinging or breakouts is the Coppertone Oil-Free in SPF 15 or 30. It''s fragrance free also, and is just really light, not sticky, absorbs instantly, and doesn''t feel yucky if I reapply. I mostly use high-end products, but this is one of my faves for several years now.

I know they have a special formula just for face, but I haven''t tried it - I just use the big bottle designed for the whole body.
Me too!!

I''m prone to red spots/break outs and all the other sunscreen gave me a really oily face and then pimples on top of that!

SLJS I second the baby formula sun screen idea... it may be the most soothing for you sking

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I also have extremely sensitive skin and rosacea (under control thanks to a great dermo)...
I have been using Linda Sy Products for years, and NEVER have had any adverse reactions.

I love the Tinted Zinco (also comes untinted too) it''s my favorite!

happy in love

Shiny_Rock
I have been using the Dermalogica sunscreen for sensitive skin. I like that it is slightly tinted too, for days that I don''t put foundation over it.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Wow so many to try! Okay, well I was in the store yesterday and I bought both the Burt''s Bees non-chemical one and a stick sunscreen made for faces. I am going to try Burt''s Bees first then I will try the stick one if the Burt''s bothers me..then it''s time to come back to this list!!
36.gif
Thanks again for so much help!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to report back! So I''ve changed my habits a bit..washing face before bed and when I get up..and I''ve also been using the Burt''s Bees chemical free sunscreen and so far so good!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
My friend just pointed out this study on sunscreens and we discovered that the Neutrogena we have been using has some nasty chemicals in it that are not good for the body. In fact, the study concluded that the best sunscreen was a product I had never heard about. It was called No-Ad.

I don''t often use my sunscreen because it makes me break out. But now that my friend told me about the article, I am on the hunt for the No Ad.

Washing your face before bed is a must do. I didn''t do it for years, and forced myself to buy a $90 pillow. That changed my nighttime routine real fast.
2.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Ooh interesting, No-Ad sounds familiar to me..I think I may have seen it somewhere before, not sure. Yeah it really is..I got lazy sometimes and didn''t do it, but I am trying to do it every night now.
5.gif

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 1:55:34 AM
Author: miraclesrule
My friend just pointed out this study on sunscreens and we discovered that the Neutrogena we have been using has some nasty chemicals in it that are not good for the body. In fact, the study concluded that the best sunscreen was a product I had never heard about. It was called No-Ad.

I don''t often use my sunscreen because it makes me break out. But now that my friend told me about the article, I am on the hunt for the No Ad.

Washing your face before bed is a must do. I didn''t do it for years, and forced myself to buy a $90 pillow. That changed my nighttime routine real fast.
2.gif
Our group of friends used No-Ad years ago on our annual grad student beach trip. I haven''t used it recently, though back then it seemed to work well (and was cheaper than name brands). I think the No-Ad meant No Advertisement ... though I''m not sure.

I looked it up, and the bottles are a bit more modern now -- but they still have bright, non-descript appearance. Different SPFs are a different color bottle. I think you can get it at Target, Walgreens, and such places.

no-ad.jpg

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Turtle!! Good to know, I don''t have to seek far. I had never heard of it before. I goggled it and read up on it.
Interesting.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Cetaphil Cetaphil Cetaphil!!! I use the SPF 15...

It is the best I have tried--and I have tried everything to protect my temperamental skin. It is non-clogging, light, fragrance-free and very moisturizing. I use many of their products for my face and entire body...I love it. I love even more that it can be found in most drugs stores and its inexpensive.

Good luck!
10.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 1:55:34 AM
Author: miraclesrule

2.gif
What is the pillow for?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate using it, I grease my kids from head to toe in summer but cannot deal, though I make myself.

Most facial lotions with SPF do not go high enough so I love the Clinique City Block SPF 40, it is light, not thick and zinc-y and you can put make up on on top.

I also love the Clarins, I think it is a 40, that has white tea, small bottle but it spreads well, is thin and not white thick or pasty, so again make up goes on fine afterward.

For body I like the Lancome, again a 40 or 50, with vitamin E. It feels like body lotion to me, versus having that thick or sticky suncream feeling which is I think what bothers me most.

My hubby hates using it too so I have to battle HIM as well, but my kids I make sure have it on.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, you could be allergic to something in it. There are physical blocks (like zinc oxide) and chemical blocks like Parsol etc, so I would see if the ones bothering you have something in common. You could be experiencing some sort of dermatitis...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results