shape
carat
color
clarity

Depression and getting off of Depo?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock

I though I would post this here to see if any one else has had problems emotionally after discontinuing their birth control after years of taking it?

Normally I am a woman that is always on the go and very energetic; my nickname for years has been Turbo. However for the last month I have been lethargic, and unable to really feel excited about much of anything. I have even been an emotional wreck after my dog died of a heart condition (grade 4 heart murmur). I see something sad on TV and become a sobbing mess. I am normally a very outgoing person, now I don’t even want to go in public. I have my birthday and anniversary coming up in 2 days and cant even fain an ounce of happiness of the occasion.

I recently (1 week ago) had a tubal ligation after several hard miscarriages, and my diabetes getting worse. Last month I stopped getting my Depo administered after 2 years of being on it. I am not just an emotional mess but also having hot flashes like mad. I have never really experienced anything like this before. I have had some pretty crushing things happen and normally I bounce right back. Anyway I have an appointment with my doctor next week to for a general check up.

Has any one had any emotional problems after stopping their birth control, and how long did it last? Also what changes did you go though, and what did you find to help the situation?

Thanks for any input.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Macie, I don't have any advice really but you have been though a lot lately! I am so sorry about your dear dog; I think hormones do make us out of whack but it is understandable with the others things going on. I once kept a journal about how I felt for the month so I am more aware of how I feel closer to certain times so I don't think I am going nutty, it is just the darn hormones. I do think you have been through a lot lately so please take some time for yourself to do something nice for you, maybe slow down a little. I will keep you in my prayers and sending you a giant hug dear!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Macie, I''m so sorry to hear that you''re having a rough patch. Biggest hugs outgoing to you.

I was on the Depo for about 10 years. I stopped getting it in October (so techincally it would have run out around the first of the year) and I don''t seem to have suffered from depression, lethargy, or other symptoms like that. I do have to say though that I feel my hormones more now. Before, everything was completely level all the time. Now, there are natural shifts in your system and I am aware of them. (Does that make any sense?)

The hot flashes are the most interesting/disturbing thing you mention though. Coupled with the emotional reactions it make me think that you''re hormones are out of whack at this point, but whether that is something that will fix itself over a little bit of time or whether it needs to be addressed medically I have no idea.

When you say that you stopped getting your depo last month does that mean you actually got it last month and that is going to be your last one, or that you should have gotten one last month and you didn''t? Becasue if it''s the second case I can see your body trying to figure out what''s going on again (imagine what I went through after TEN YEARS!), but still that all sounds abnormal to me.

Hopefully your doctor can figure out what''s wrong and get you back on track!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww Macie, hugs to you! I have to say though that is it possible that it *isn't* the depo? There are so many hard things going on in your life that maybe there is something else going on in your body besides going off BC. I would make sure to mention to your doc all the other things that are going on...especially the tubal ligation...that really affects many women really really hard, even if you don't think it is.

I hope things look up soon!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
i have to agree with the above. have you thought about what else could be causing you to feel this way? You have had a lot on your plate and because you are "turbo" maybe you didn''t deal with them completely when they happened and now the emotions are piling on. I know I''ve done that millions of times (i''m a turbo-type too).

if you are experiencing hot flashes, are you also experiencing night sweats? you say you are diabetic. I am hypoglycemic and, even at 23, I get the worst hot flashes ever if my sugar isn''t in control. It tends to be even worse if I''m upset. it''s basically like burning from the inside out. :-/ eh. . . . I hope you feel better love. keep us posted on what the doc has to say.

((hug))

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Macie--i just recently had a baby and since his birth have had night sweats and hot flashes combined with really bad insomnia. I know part of this is related to anxiety (i worry about things and of course a new baby is a good source of worry!) however i knew that was not the whole picture b/c of the sweating and the fact that some nights i would have no symptoms. I found out my estrogen levels are/have been out of wack since the birth, and my Dr said hormones play a huge role in mood etc.
As a young teen (before i even knew of PMS) i used to get really upset the day or so before my period and would wonder why--took me a little while to make the connection b/w period and emotional changes--knowing it would happen foreced me to be kinder to myself. Maybe like me, the life changes you are going thru, combined with your hormonal levels evening out is the ''deadly brew''. Give yourself a bit of time and be nice to yourself. Depo is pretty powerful, i am sure your body needs time to adjust.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Sorry you''re going through all of this.

I just wanted to say two things. (well, about two people anyway)

First, I have a friend who recently came off of depo and who has diabetes. She had a really bad depression starting immediately upon quitting the shot. She just went back to her dr last week, and he put her on Yaz. Her dr informed her that depression is due to the change of hormones and increased by the diabetes because the change of hormone is screwing with her blood sugar so badly. I don''t know exactly how, but that''s what was said.

Secondly, I have another friend who was put on the pill while she has an IUD in because of a hormonal anxiety.

Please talk to your doctor, I don''t think this problem is unusual.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
macie, that''s alot to have on your plate at one time honey...And while I''m not a doctor, I''ve had a procedure, not tubal ligation - something else but same general idea - and it''s pretty normal to have a lot of emotions coming up. Also, Depo is hormones, as you know, so I would think that going off it cold turkey may just exacerbate whatever else is going on...Be good to yourself. Go get a massage or a facial or whatever floats your boat and relaxes you. Yoga, Pilates, whatever. And I''d talk to your GYN doc about this. It might be more emotional and less hormonal...who knows. Do you know a good counselor you can see while you''re getting through this?

I''m sorry about your pup...

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your post.
I think part of the depression is that my dog was a rescue that I had spent quite a bit of money to correct some major heath issues. I though I could give him a better longer life. After only having him for six mouths and him passing from acute heart failure I kind of feel like I failed him.

I don’t think the tubal ligation is really affecting me. I have a wonderful 5 year old son and realize how lucky I am to have him.

I went to the doctor today and described what was going on. He feels that it is the combination of diabetes, hormonal upheaval, and stress. He recommends me taking time for myself and yoga. Also if need be he says that getting back on Depo might not be such a bad ideal.

My hubby thinks that I am simply over doing everything and not taking time for my self.
Due to the fact yesterday was my birthday he “kidnapped me” for a walk along the beach. He also surprised me with tasty cupcakes and some sparkly things.
R.I.P Buzzy

setas.jpg

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Here are the diamond studs hubby bought me for my B-day, will post better pics later all I have right now is my phone cam.

earr.jpg

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the 1920’s plat and diamond necklace he also bought me. I have a very good hubby.

lag.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 6:15:18 PM
Author: Macie

My hubby thinks that I am simply over doing everything and not taking time for my self.
Due to the fact yesterday was my birthday he “kidnapped me” for a walk along the beach. He also surprised me with tasty cupcakes and some sparkly things.
R.I.P Buzzy
I think your hubby is right. Adorable dog, and huge hugs!!!! Take care of yourself! Happy birthday and you need to show off your beauties in Show me the Ring!!! Love the earrings and necklace! What a sweet husband!
36.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have to Ditto Skippy...Take time for you...You''re burning the candle from both ends and you probably need to chill a bit. Just do things that make you happy!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry for everything you are going through! Although many people down play the importance of a pet''s passing, as a dog owner myself I can imagine that it is devastating and you need time to grieve properly! I too have a sickly rescue pup, and although we were lucky that she got through her two major close calls, caring for a sick dog is really stressful too. It sounds like your hubby has hit the nail on the head: take time for yourself and you will get well soon!

PS: I had a lot of emotional roller-coasters coming of the pill 4 months ago, so hormones are probably exacerbating your bodies responses to stress. It should pass, but if not be sure to consult you doc.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
I am so so sorry for what you are going through.

PLEASE do not think that you failed your dog in any way shape or form. My kitty was just diagnosed with heart disease and I beat myself up over it until I realized there was nothing I could do to have caused this awful situation. My job, like yours was, is to make sure his time in the here and now is the best it could possibly be. You did your job well, hun. Please don''t blame yourself anymore.

When I stopped using NuvaRing and switched from 100% hormonal BC to the IUD, I experienced the same symptoms you are describing. While sobbing unexplicably to one of my friends she said, "you are worse than I was post partum" which caused me to call my Dr. immediately. My Dr. told me it was normal to experience some emotional shifts from my hormones balancing themselves out again. After a few months, I started to feel back to my old self again. It took time and as other posters have said, I had to be very kind to myself while I was adjusting.

Please, take care of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results