shape
carat
color
clarity

need ideas for solitaire reset

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

md74

Rough_Rock
I need ideas for a solitaire reset.

I have 2 wedding bands, and an engagement ring. I wear wedding ring #2, an eternity band, on my right hand, and my engagement ring (pear solitaire) and plain wedding band on the left.

The engagement ring was already reset. Unfortunately, the custom setting that was done by the people my husband bought the diamond was defective and crumpled (became a very extreme oval) a year and a half after I got it.

We had the reset done two years ago. It is a fairly standard traditional basket setting. I don''t love it, as they couldn''t make it REALLY delicate, saying it wouldn''t stand up to wear, so it''s a sort of standard band and somewhat delicate prongs. I feel like it is just sort of in between, and I might like something - not modern or chunk - but with a little more heft.

I have had to have the prongs tightened a couple times, which I know can happen more often with fancies.

When we went yesterday to have it adjusted again, they said that we would need to either weld the rings together or do a new setting next time because the prongs on the side by the wedding band were getting worn down by the band. I was a little surprised by this, as it''s only been two years. I knew of this happening with diamonds rubbing into the metal, but not so much with metal on metal.

I am actually into the idea of a reset, as I never was totally in love with this setting. The most important thing to us is the stone. I am never planning to upgrade the stone, but I am fine resetting it. I would like to stay in the vein of what he originally proposed with, a solitaire, but am interested in doing something that isn''t just the standard solitaire setting you would see anywhere. I really want the stone to be protected, and be able to stand up to being next to my wedding band.

I''d appreciate any input, recommendations, or photos.
1.gif

md74

Rough_Rock
Ummmm. Just so you all know, it doesn''t have to be pear solitaire specific to reply to me. I could get some idea from any solitaire that could then be converted for a pear.

Thanks.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2008 10:22:57 AM
Author:md74
I would like to stay in the vein of what he originally proposed with, a solitaire, but am interested in doing something that isn''t just the standard solitaire setting you would see anywhere. I really want the stone to be protected, and be able to stand up to being next to my wedding band.

I''d appreciate any input, recommendations, or photos.
1.gif
From your last couple of sentences I think that a bezeled solitaire like netfreak''s beauty would be a great solution for you. Hers is a cushion, but I am pretty sure that it could be done for a pear.
IMG_234534191.jpg
345345375.jpg

Linky to more of Neatfreak''s pictures: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-new-bezeled-cushion-from-erd-t83187.html

A design like that would allow your bands to sit flush (and not dig into any prongs) and also protect your stone and still be a solitaire (but with a little flair).

HTH
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results