shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your less than 2mm shanks please...bottoms if you can!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I received my 10 year upgrade in January, 3 stone with sapphire sides. My neighbor fell in love with my ring. She received a 3 stone diamond ring last May from her DH, he purchased it from a mall store, and they have had to exchange it once already, and it''s on it''s way back again. The first one had a huge chip in the center stone and one of the side stones had barely any gold on the basket, they replaced the entire ring, but now this one has a HUGE black visible inclusion in the center stone. She''s taking it back this week, but wants to inquire about them having the side stones changed to sapphires (her original set is a solitaire with a wrap of diamonds/sapphires, she has a daughter from a previous marriage who was born in September and her DH wanted to incorporate her birthstone into her wedding set). Her ring is YG. Also, the band is REALLY thin, it''s got to be 1mm at the bottom or less. I''m surprised it hasn''t bent yet. My question...does anyone have photos of a well worn less than 2mm shank and if so, what has been your experience with it. I''m trying to convince her that with all of the trouble she has had, she should just get her money back and start over custom somewhere else. This ring I believe is 1.40tcw and cost over $3,000. I think she''s hoping that they will just do the work for free since she has had so much trouble, but I also told her the sapphires at this particular store are very dark, the only lighter ones they have are lab created.

I''ve already found her some sapphires at The Natural Sapphire Co.

I told her I would try to find some pix of some well worn thinner bands so she can see how it will hold up over time. Thanks!

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
I'm at work so i don't have photo's of the bottom, but my ERing is 1.1mm all the way around in Plat. I think it still holds the PS record for the slimest! lol
I get soooooo many comments on the "delicate-ness" of it.

n90403223_33877900_2154.jpeg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 1:50:46 PM
Author:Girlrocks
...does anyone have photos of a well worn less than 2mm shank and if so, what has been your experience with it. I told her I would try to find some pix of some well worn thinner bands so she can see how it will hold up over time. Thanks!
I don't know if this is what you are looking for. I'm not sure I have any pics of the bottom of it, other than this profile view. This set of rings we got at an antique shop, so it was already worn when I got it. My appraiser thought the rings were from around the 1950s, so hopefully that gives some idea of how long it may have been worn. I am fine with it, although probably one of these days I should get something done about it to reinforce it. It is definitely less than 1mm at the very bottom.

p.s to ~Snow~ : Love your ring! I love delicate bands like that!

resize 1260 3_18.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Aha, here is a photo that might be more helpful to you. Same ring, profile again. Sorry I don't have time to take a picture of the bottom directly & upload it.

ETA: Ugh, my ring is much prettier in real life. Please excuse the dirty diamond!

Brodney profile 3_18.jpg

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Snow and Old Fashioned Girl...Thanks for posting, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Snow - you''re band is SOOO thin, it really makes the EC look huge. Have you had any problems with it bending/warping at all?

Old Fashioned Girl - this is what I was looking for. Is the slight bend in your ring even noticable when you have it on?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Both my mother and MIL have 14 k yellow gold e-rings about 2 mm wide that eventually wore through completely after about 30 to 35 years of daily wear. Both of them have had the hoop portion replaced. My mother had hers repaired when the band was so thin it began cutting into her finger. In my MIL''s case, she knew her ring was getting thin, but kept putting off repairs until the band finally broke and her ring fell to the ground during a meeting. She had to get it repaired then.
20.gif
Their wedding bands are thinner for sure than originally, but still o.k. to wear because they spin and the wear is more even.

So, yes, thinner bands will eventually wear out and need repair during her lifetime, especially if she wears it 24/7.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl, good feedback!

Date: 3/24/2008 8:03:53 AM
Author: Girlrocks
Old Fashioned Girl - this is what I was looking for. Is the slight bend in your ring even noticable when you have it on?
No, I don't notice it at all when wearing it - not by look really and definitely not by feel. I took another photo which might help. But one of these days I'll probably have to replace that part like Fly Girl mentioned above.

dscn7943 bottom of rings.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results