shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting a budget for Tahitians -- would love advice!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I'm insanely jealous!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW :love: :love: :love: . Looks amazing. What's the pearl size?

I'm so tempted to drop everything and dial PP this instant

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looking at the photo a couple hours later, I'm beginning to worry that it might be a little too much on the pistachio side... a little too green. Maybe? Man, the wait for its arrival begins!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
If you haven't read it before, I recommend Pearl-Guide's thread: "Show us your Tahitians". It documents and discusses vendors' Tahitian pearl photos versus the Buyers' observations, experiences and pictures once the pearls are in their ownership. With only one exception, the pearls I received were surprisingly different from what I pictured in my mind's eye. Sometimes a disappointment, sometimes a nice surprise. And I rarely know how I feel immediately. Chill with the pearls. You can always return them.

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7415&highlight=show+us+your+tahitians

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1371084216|3464639 said:
If you haven't read it before, I recommend Pearl-Guide's thread: "Show us your Tahitians". It documents and discusses vendors' Tahitian pearl photos versus the Buyers' observations, experiences and pictures once the pearls are in their ownership. With only one exception, the pearls I received were surprisingly different from what I pictured in my mind's eye. Sometimes a disappointment, sometimes a nice surprise. And I rarely know how I feel immediately. Chill with the pearls. You can always return them.

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7415&highlight=show+us+your+tahitians

I couldn't agree more. I rarely fall in love with pearls at first sight. I have to see them in different lights and get to know them. It generally takes me at least 24 hours before I know how I feel. I've had some where I HATED them when I opened the box (because my expectations were so much different) that became my favorites after a few days. It's weird, but it's a thing.

I can honestly tell you that rope is delicious. But, if it's not YOURS then you'll know. Just give it some time. :)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oooh bsomlo, thank you for the link! I didn't know about that forum at all. Love all the pics!

mrs. taylor, thank you for mentioning this. I will keep it in mind when I "meet" my pearls. I can't wait :bigsmile:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
One word of advice. This might sound crazy but...pearls go to sleep when they have been put away in a box or safe. They need to be out and warm up before they start to show their true colors. So don't make a snap decision, circle them for a while. Different clothing colors can either enhance or suck the color out of them so try them with differnt outfits.

I really like your new strand. Glad you got it.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
sage words.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I think your rope looks knock-out GORGEOUS :twirl: I love the variety of the colors of the tahitians, which will make it so versatile. Truly a special strand! When my ropes came last month, I spent quite a while playing dress up with my pearls and wardrobe, haha, but after I was finished I was totally in love with my strands! Can't wait to hear what you think of your tahitians!

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
I think you just might love your strand the first time you lay eyes on it, GemFever. Of course, what everyone is telling you happens a lot, but who knows! I can't wait to see the pictures and hear what your first impressions were. :bigsmile:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks gals! All the advice has been great, I'm prepared to get my pearls! Tomorrow by 10:30am :naughty: Weeee!!!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
So we can expect pictures and initial impressions by... 10:45 AM? Tee hee. I always try to open my box slowly so I only get a glimmer of the pearls at first. Sweet torture. Enjoy!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will have to rush to work after I get them, but I will try to post some pics right after I get to work ::)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm lame :blackeye: Last time the PP package (akoyas) didn't require a signature, so I hadn't expected this package to need a direct signature. Now I missed it and will have to wait for the end of the day to pick it up from the FedEx office. boo. :cry:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;(

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I hate waiting. I feel your pain.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
That stinks that you missed the package :-o Something to look forward to at the end of your day...but this will probably be the slowest work day ever for you ;-)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
:naughty:

:bigsmile:

img_1009.jpg

img_1314.jpg

img_1319.jpg

img_1010.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
:love:

img_1011.jpg

img_1013.jpg

img_1014.jpg

img_1015.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you got the nice box! My hanadama strand came in that box.

I think they are beautiful! Quite round and smooth (compared to my baroque Tahitian rope) and such a variety of colors!

What are your first impressions?!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First impressions of my first Tahitians -- love them. They are so sensual, I love how they feel and sound. I love how they look. IRL they are a little lighter than the pics (well, close to the last three pics of the previous post), which I like a lot.

Once i actually put them on -- they are heavy. That will take some adjusting to. Also, I need to figure out how to make them hang just right. I like the strand looped three times (2x is also good, 1x looks awkward to me), but I don't want the loops to hang weirdly.

In general though, I'm in love. It's incredible how each pearl is different and has its own personality. I'm going to make a real effort to actually wear them, as opposed to admiring them while they adorn my desk :cheeky:

Lastly, a question -- to me, Tahitians seem like very summery pearls. Do you gals wear them in the winter?

One more pic -- next to the silver-blue akoyas (Tahitians are not as dark IRL). I'll be keeping both strands for now.

img_1324.jpg

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1371242041|3465979 said:

I think they are beautiful! Quite round and smooth (compared to my baroque Tahitian rope) and such a variety of colors!

YES! Do tell!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bsomlo|1371242041|3465979 said:

Thanks bsomlo! i was surprised by the box, the last two times I got velvety boxes (and I kinda like them). This one feels fancy :sun:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
cross posted. Mine are new, but I fully expect to wear them year round!

Your rope is incredible. What wonderful pearls! I adore them and they are SO DIFFERENT from the akoyas. I don't blame you a bit for keeping both! congratulations!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks mrs. taylor!

I do love this rope. I'm a little conflicted over whether I should have gone with an 18" one... it would be both easier to wear (in terms of keeping the loops hanging right) and lighter on my neck. But I love the richness of the 50". Going to give it a good test drive before I make any final decisions :rodent:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Regarding tripling them: that's how I like to wear mine the most -- I think it's the best look and feel for me, BUT I've come across a problem.

My strand is quite graduated -- which is perfectly fine and a great look. BUT, when I triple them, the heaviest middle pearls start to get pulled down by gravity so that strand lowers and the other two tighten around my throat and the triple gets "chokey". I have to pull at it to make them all the same length again.

I am going to try to hold the back in place with something -- either hold two or all three strands together with a clip or something so the strand lengths stay put.

I hope I've described this adequately.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bsomlo -- exactly the same problem here. I like your solution and I think you described it well. If you have a photo of your pin, I'd love to see it. I might need to come up with a similar device. I do love the tripled look. It feels a little heavy on my collarbone right now, but I'm guessing I'll get used to it and stop noticing.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I actually like the heft of the triple. Triples are my favorite look and feel (at least now).

I do not have the device I am thinking of. If you get one before I do -- please let me know if it works for you.

(I was actually thinking of "trying it out" first by tripling, turning the back with clasp in front, tying string around two or three strands so they are connected, turning it to face back again, and seeing if that feels better and if the strand lengths stay put.)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bsomlo -- I think a thread is a great idea. I'm going to try that one.

Here's a fun neckshot :lickout:

_7216.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results