carat
color
clarity

LIW Bootcamp

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 1:52:42 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I think it''s great that people want to get in shape and get healthy, but since when does a diet or eating healthy = starvation?

''had slimfast for breakfast and watermelon for lunch, probably will skip din din''

This is not a healthy diet. This is a starvation diet. Slim fast=220 cals, 1 cup watermelon =46 calories. That''s only 266 calories for an entire day when you''re working out. NOT. OK.
+1. There''s a lot of great stuff in here, but comments like the one HH quoted terrify me. Doing that for prolonged periods of time screws up your body, and as soon as you start eating again, it comes back (and more). Put the emphasis on getting healthy, being active, and making the right choices and the weight will come off and stay off. But please please, be good to your body. You only get one.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking as someone who has had disordered eating her entire life, I have to agree with EM1, Princesss and HH. Not to mention the Eating Disorders class I just took as well as all of the Nutrition classes I took when I was in culinary school.

Eating less than 1500 calories per day is just stupid. Unless you want your body to eat your muscle and organs that is.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 2:06:56 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Eating less than 1500 calories per day is just stupid. Unless you want your body to eat your muscle and organs that is.
To be fair, some peoples' bodies do require less than others. I regularly eat between 1200-1500 calories, with 1500 being the max. 1500 when I'm maintaining weight, 1200 being the low-end when I'm losing.

That is, of course, when I'm paying any attention at all to my food intake.

That doesn't mean that 266 is smart for anyone. You'll kick your body straight into starvation mode, which of course is counter-productive to weight loss (if that is one's goal).

For what it's worth, and I haven't read through the whole thread so this may already have been talked about, I think it's really important for people to find something that works for them. You can try all the fad diets you like, but people metabolize nutrients differently from one another. My mom has had amazing luck on what is essentially the Atkins diet... she can maintain it easily (no relapses), she feels energetic and happy, and her weight stays healthily low. I went to visit for two weeks ~4 years ago and just ate what she ate out of convenience, and I gained almost 15 pounds in that time! Granted, some of it was water retention from salty foods, but still. I also felt lethargic and depressed.

About two years ago I switched to basically the opposite of Atkins, I don't know what it is, but it's very high in grains, vegetables and fruits, very low (comparatively) in meats/fats. My mom would probably crash and burn on this diet, but for me, it's easy to maintain, keeps me energetic and happy, and my weight stays comfortably low.

We just happen to line up with the blood type diet, which I don't necessarily put much/any stock in, but it's interesting nonetheless.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
3.gif

Well Mrs. Musey, you'll find it interesting to know that I'm on a 1,200 calorie diet, BUT it is medically facilitated by two doctors, soooo....
2.gif

As far as it goes, most people need on average (male and female) 2,000 calories per day. Everyone IS different, so while 1,500 might be musey's maintaining intake, it is someone else's losing intake.

However, when you start eating less than 1,000 calories, and this goes for EVERYONE, you start to go into starvation/energy conservation mode, and you drop water weight, and then your body starts eating muscle because it's much more energy efficient for your body to consume protein that is there and ready, instead of wasting energy processing your fat into protein (which is possible, but the body does it at a much slower rate). So when you're losing weight, you're really losing protein and water, and not so much fat.

Don't get me started further. I did just get done with an eating disorders class and all.

ETA: Also, when the body is in the starvation mode, any calories you consume are immediately converted to fat stores, because the body thinks it can consume the muscle NOW, and leave the fat stores for later. So as musey said, COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

ETAA: And when all of the fat stores are gone, your organs start getting consumed. First usually the liver since it is fattier than the rest of your organs, and less vital. But then it starts eating everything else, and you have organ failure. Of course at this point a person would have to be severely underweight and would likely be in the hospital under treatment for anorexia.

Just something to keep in mind.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 1:52:42 PM
I think it''s great that people want to get in shape and get healthy, but since when does a diet or eating healthy = starvation?

''had slimfast for breakfast and watermelon for lunch, probably will skip din din''

This is not a healthy diet. This is a starvation diet. Slim fast=220 cals, 1 cup watermelon =46 calories. That''s only 266 calories for an entire day when you''re working out. NOT. OK.

Wow, I have to agree. I lost 42 lbs in four months before my wedding, but I ate between 1250 and 1500 calories per day and I just did quite a bit of exercise. I had three meals and two snacks every day also. Eating only 266 calories and exercising is not going to do your body any good. Plus you could be eating a filling breakfast for just over 220 calories rather than a shake. I''m all for people losing weight as I''m still dieting myself, but try and follow a healthy diet-the weight will stay off longer.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 2:29:02 PM
Author: musey

To be fair, some peoples' bodies do require less than others. I regularly eat between 1200-1500 calories, with 1500 being the max. 1500 when I'm maintaining weight, 1200 being the low-end when I'm losing.

That is, of course, when I'm paying any attention at all to my food intake.

That doesn't mean that 266 is smart for anyone. You'll kick your body straight into starvation mode, which of course is counter-productive to weight loss (if that is one's goal).

For what it's worth, and I haven't read through the whole thread so this may already have been talked about, I think it's really important for people to find something that works for them. You can try all the fad diets you like, but people metabolize nutrients differently from one another. My mom has had amazing luck on what is essentially the Atkins diet... she can maintain it easily (no relapses), she feels energetic and happy, and her weight stays healthily low. I went to visit for two weeks ~4 years ago and just ate what she ate out of convenience, and I gained almost 15 pounds in that time! Granted, some of it was water retention from salty foods, but still. I also felt lethargic and depressed.

About two years ago I switched to basically the opposite of Atkins, I don't know what it is, but it's very high in grains, vegetables and fruits, very low (comparatively) in meats/fats. My mom would probably crash and burn on this diet, but for me, it's easy to maintain, keeps me energetic and happy, and my weight stays comfortably low.

We just happen to line up with the blood type diet, which I don't necessarily put much/any stock in, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Musey-I do agree with a lot of what you've said here. We do all need different caloric amounts and weight loss is 90% what you put in your mouth. I drop weight well in the 1250-1400 range on moderate protein, lots of veggies (and a daily dose of vitamin chocolate), and I'm 5'6" 135ish. However, re: the poster that quote was from, while I don't know how tall she is, based on her first post in the thread and the later stated total weight loss amount, she currently weighs around 240-250. Let's say she's 5'6" as well and is around 25 years old. According to thedailyplate.com, someone who's moderately active, 5'6", 25 yo, 240 lbs, needs to eat 2588 calories to lose 1.5 lbs/week.

Don't get me wrong. To each his own when it comes to weight loss. Do what works for you. I would be hypocritical if I said otherwise, because I've done and tried it all. In fact, I just suggested taking water pills a week before someone's wedding the other day to take care of bloat from stress and that time of the month. But the suggestion was for a very focused use for a very limited time, not a general statement of "I'm taking 6 water pills every day and it's working SOOOO well. Almost as well as the laxatives!" Which is what I equate the previous posts to.

And I really want to restate that I'm not trying to blast Jessie or make her feel crappy. I just think it's unwise and unconscionable to condone high-risk behavior of any kind on PS; especially from someone who's leading the thread. People on the thread are looking up to you Jessie and trying to use your success as inspiration and footsteps to follow in their weigh loss process.

I wish you well in your challenge. 25 lbs is a great start and I wish you well with your continued success. I just hope you slow down a bit and really evaluate where you are, how you're feeling and whether you want to keep eating next to nothing for the rest of your life. Because that's what you're going to have to do to keep off the weight you lose this way. Starvation loss can only be kept off by continued starvation.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 4:33:36 PM

Date: 7/30/2009 2:29:02 PM
Author: musey

To be fair, some peoples'' bodies do require less than others. I regularly eat between 1200-1500 calories, with 1500 being the max. 1500 when I''m maintaining weight, 1200 being the low-end when I''m losing.

That is, of course, when I''m paying any attention at all to my food intake.

That doesn''t mean that 266 is smart for anyone. You''ll kick your body straight into starvation mode, which of course is counter-productive to weight loss (if that is one''s goal).

For what it''s worth, and I haven''t read through the whole thread so this may already have been talked about, I think it''s really important for people to find something that works for them. You can try all the fad diets you like, but people metabolize nutrients differently from one another. My mom has had amazing luck on what is essentially the Atkins diet... she can maintain it easily (no relapses), she feels energetic and happy, and her weight stays healthily low. I went to visit for two weeks ~4 years ago and just ate what she ate out of convenience, and I gained almost 15 pounds in that time! Granted, some of it was water retention from salty foods, but still. I also felt lethargic and depressed.

About two years ago I switched to basically the opposite of Atkins, I don''t know what it is, but it''s very high in grains, vegetables and fruits, very low (comparatively) in meats/fats. My mom would probably crash and burn on this diet, but for me, it''s easy to maintain, keeps me energetic and happy, and my weight stays comfortably low.

We just happen to line up with the blood type diet, which I don''t necessarily put much/any stock in, but it''s interesting nonetheless.

Musey-I do agree with a lot of what you''ve said here. We do all need different caloric amounts and weight loss is 90% what you put in your mouth. I drop weight well in the 1250-1400 range on moderate protein, lots of veggies (and a daily dose of vitamin chocolate), and I''m 5''6'' 135ish. However, re: the poster that quote was from, while I don''t know how tall she is, based on her first post in the thread and the later stated total weight loss amount, she currently weighs around 240-250. Let''s say she''s 5''6'' as well and is around 25 years old. According to thedailyplate.com, someone who''s moderately active, 5''6'', 25 yo, 240 lbs, needs to eat 2588 calories to lose 1.5 lbs/week.
About this point that HH made.

I''ve been pretty public here about being in Weight Watchers. I don''t make a secret of it, because it helps me and I am happy on it. The thing with WW is you get your daily points and you HAVE to eat them. No more, no less. When I work out, I have to eat enough points to cover the work out. Plus I get some extra splurge points just for fun. Now, when I don''t pay attention to them and I over eat, I gain weight. When I don''t eat all my points, or I don''t eat my exercise points, I gain weight. When I eat all my points, I lose weight. (Anywhere between 1 and 3 pounds per week, but more like 1 lb/week). There is a small window of calories your body needs in order to lose weight. Enough to keep all your systems running, but less than what you use on a daily basis. It''s really just making sure calories in

Last week I ate birthday cake. And ice cream. And Thai food. I ate with family, I ate with friends (ZoeBartlett can assure you that I ate a *lot* of Thai food), I ate by myself. And you know what? Last week I lost 1.2 pounds. Today I ate Skittles and pulled pork (not just that, but you get my point), and I''m confident I''ll lose weight this week, too. And it''s all because I''m keeping my intake balanced between too much and not enough - it''s that juuuuuust right point for weight loss.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hudson, I was only responding to the idea that eating under 1500 calories/day is stupid (which I now suspect I was just reading out of context). Nothing else. Just so you know
2.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I know, and I was agreeing with your post. Just restating that there''s a difference between eating what''s "right" for your body (which may be slightly above or below the daily average) and drastically cutting calories to the point of starvation. :)

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Lol... well that last little bout certainly killed this thread...

Hey LIWs - how''s the bootcamp coming? Any more success stories? I''d love to hear em, it keeps me motivated to know that there are other women out there trying to get into shape too!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 1:41:32 PM
Author: Erinleigh
Lol... well that last little bout certainly killed this thread...

Hey LIWs - how''s the bootcamp coming? Any more success stories? I''d love to hear em, it keeps me motivated to know that there are other women out there trying to get into shape too!!
Well, I maintained this week, which is better than I was expecting. I ran a TON this weekend (I had an Ultimate tournament, so I was on the field and running pretty much from 9-6 on Saturday and 8-12 on Sunday...well, probably a total of 4 hours running on Saturday and 2.5 on Sunday) and I don''t think my calorie intake was quite high enough. But whatever, anything that isn''t a gain is a win!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I think it may be time for me to join up!

You guys may have posted about this before, but I feel like the weight gain started when I started dating my BF. It was like the honeymoon years full of gluttony and sloth! We were going out to dinner all the time and I would just eat whatever. I noticed myself drinking more during the week because we would go out and have drinks together - concerts, dinners, etc. Then, to top it off, I stopped working out as much...and then pretty much stopped all together...because we were practically joined at the hip!! Well, 40lbs and and 7 years later, here I am! What the heck happened?!?!

Now it sucks cuz it is soooo much more difficult to "take it off," especially at 36! Where did my metabolism go??

Anyway, I''m trying something new...baby steps. I took my doctor up on their "medically supervised" weight mgmt program. I figured it would provide some accountability. My doctor''s office is very East meets West, so a lot of non-traditional help is available. I''m seeing this lifestyle coach / nutritionist who is really cool...just reminding me about things like drinking lots of water, breathing work, core work...and some of the mental aspects, too.

My doc prescribed me phentermine. Yeah, I know, I know...I wasn''t really sure about that one. But, I''m taking a very small dose. It is really helping me with my motivation because it give me the energy I need to get started. Definitely a short term thing!!

So far so good, I''ve gone on walk/jogs every day this week and it feels great! Doing pretty good with my eating...still need to get better at healthy dinners. And, must tackle my white wine habit! But, baby steps, right??

My goal? 20lbs then I get to try on dresses, another 20lbs by wedding 10.10.10...Can I do it???

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
I took a little Exercise/ healthy eating hiatus for a good 2.5 weeks... Yesterday the local gym finally opened and I became a 3 month member... (we''ll see how I like it before i make to much of a commitment)... I''m back on the ball!!! and Very Motivated to lose another 5-7 pounds before the beginning of September... I know it can be done with the amount of exercise I do and a 1500cal/day diet... now I just need to not eat that cake I made for our BBQ tonight...

Does anyone do the Wii physical games like, Wii fit - Jillian Michaels - Wii Active? I have all three, my favorite is the Wii Active... Although Jillian Michael gives me a really good work out - the graphics are pretty bad...

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
OMG, I so need your help ladies!! :)

I know what I need to do to get back on track, but, I am such a procrastinator! I have a gym membership that I have not used for months. The worst thing is, the gym is 2 blocks away...I am terrible. I used to be so good, as I would be there 4 days per week for 1.5 hrs (cardio and weights). I was in such good shape and had awesome eating habits (no soda, lean protein, etc). That was until two years ago and I hit a major wall...

I never weighed myself, but judged myself by clothing sizes at places I would routinely shop at. I went from size 6''s and 8''s to a flipping 12 (and that is squeezing into the size). About 3 weeks ago, I have cut much of the bad carbs out, and now nearly back to a 10. So, my eating habits are getting better. However, I NEED to get back into gym, as I have started to notice that my arms and legs are flabby. UGH. It''s like I know what I need to do, but just getting back into the routine is hard...ok, venting done.

I am 5''8," btw.

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
How about a challenge ladies!!!

I challenge you to do 3 one-hour workouts this week... whether it be in a gym or at home...

yesterday I did my fit class and tonight I am going to the gym...BRAND NEW!!! I''m very excited...

So... How about it... are you in...??? there are still 6 days left this week, and if you worked out yesterday (for an hour), that''s one down...

~~~~
1 Down, 2 to-Go

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
oh... and today I''ve eaten very well... I had...

1 yougurt (go fit) = 60 calories
1 banana = 120 calories
1 cup Hot Chocolate (that I didn''t finish) = 75 calories
1 Salad (from SubWay) = 130 calories
dressing = 60 calories
1 20 oz. Green tea w/honey = 180 calories... (very sad to learn that there was so many calories in this, UNSWEETEN tea!!!)
1/4 cup of nuts = unsure of the calories.... = ? (lets say 100 calories)
TOTAL = 725 calories
I think I''m doing okay... still upset about the tea, I guess I could stop drinking it, since half of my cup is still there... oh well... I''ll have to work out good tonight!

CheshireSmile

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 5:32:39 PM
Author: ILoveSpinel
How about a challenge ladies!!!

I challenge you to do 3 one-hour workouts this week... whether it be in a gym or at home...

yesterday I did my fit class and tonight I am going to the gym...BRAND NEW!!! I''m very excited...

So... How about it... are you in...??? there are still 6 days left this week, and if you worked out yesterday (for an hour), that''s one down...

~~~~

1 Down, 2 to-Go

I''m only seeing this now - but I think a weekly challenge is a great idea! I''m on track with my 3 a week, yay!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 5:49:11 PM

1 banana = 120 calories
dressing = 60 calories
1 20 oz. Green tea w/honey = 180 calories... (very sad to learn that there was so many calories in this, UNSWEETEN tea!!!)
TOTAL = 725 calories
I think I''m doing okay... still upset about the tea, I guess I could stop drinking it, since half of my cup is still there... oh well... I''ll have to work out good tonight!
Was that before dinner, I hope?
32.gif

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/14/2009 1:55:30 PM
Author: sunnyd

Date: 8/11/2009 5:49:11 PM

1 banana = 120 calories
dressing = 60 calories
TOTAL = 725 calories
Was that before dinner, I hope?
32.gif
yes that was before dinner...

and I got in three one hour sessions... monday, tuesday and thursday... though the fair is in-town and i had some deep-fried goodness yesterday...

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
Can I join?! I was really small and in great shape in college. After graduating more than a year ago, I just haven''t had the time to workout like I was to. My engagement party is next month and I want to lose about 15-20lbs. I was signed up for a gym, but the hours were terrible and would close early. I am not signing up for another gym that is open 24/7. I am really excited to get back into my tip-top form! Thanks for the motivation.

Height: 5''1"
College Weight: 95 LBS
Current Weight: 110-115 LBS (depends on the week)
Goal Weight: 95-100 LBS

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I did pretty good last week - went on a walk/jog with hills 4x - missed Friday and nothing on weekend (maybe a walk tonight??)! Eating was pretty good, but had a little splurge on Saturday.

So, back on track for this week...I like the weekly challenge idea!

I am actually going to go try on a dress this Thursday! I am really nervous cuz I wanted to lose more weight before, but the store will only have the dress until Friday then it gets shipped back to the designer...so, I guess I gotta go check it out! Gotta do some good exercise before and the morning of to help a bit!!!

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
Well i just want to report that i did fabulous last week and got in four 1+ hour workouts in... :)

I''m on track this week, 1.5 hour workout on Monday and yesterday I did a 40 min workout(due to other events scheduled i could only fit in 40 mins at the gym), tonight i have my workout class...

i lost track of working out and healthy foods for about a 1-2 months and gained some weight, not much... only 4 pounds... but I''m back on track and eager to loose some more of my "love" handles...

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Good Job Ladies....ive been doing OKAY....not the best but not gaining either......i guess tress can do that to you. Still working out and still no sodas.....so thats good. I hope we can all achieve our weight loss goals.....
Weight Lost- 25lbs.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 1:37:35 PM
Author: Dreamer1116
Can I join?! I was really small and in great shape in college. After graduating more than a year ago, I just haven''t had the time to workout like I was to. My engagement party is next month and I want to lose about 15-20lbs. I was signed up for a gym, but the hours were terrible and would close early. I am not signing up for another gym that is open 24/7. I am really excited to get back into my tip-top form! Thanks for the motivation.

Height: 5''1''

College Weight: 95 LBS

Current Weight: 110-115 LBS (depends on the week)

Goal Weight: 95-100 LBS

Dreamer1116 I think we might be twins! I am 5''1", currently between 101-105, and have a goal weight of 95ish...and I just turned 24. It''s so nice to have a twin to track progress against!
36.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh...the weekends are so bad for me! I feel like it is my excuse to eat whatever and not exercise! Well, I guess, "all work and not play...." as the saying goes!!

Anyway, back on the program for the week...went for a walk/run this morning, that is the one thing that is starting to become a habit! Yay!

Just have to keep reminding myself to be slow and steady...not expect a "quick fix."

My acupuncturist recommended a 9-day cleanse program called Isagenix...anyone heard of it? I still need to google in and such. I have done a cleanse through her before...she is really big on cleanses to rid the body of toxins and get a fresh start. I think I might start it next week - still have to do more research.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I''m in. I *was* doing great on Weight Watchers but the last three weeks have been epic food/workout fail, due to vacation, work and the weather.

I have to lose 25 more lbs before I''ll even look at wedding dresses -- and since I think I have 4-6 weeks until I get the ring, I better freaking step on it -- I''ve only lost 20 lbs so far, and that took months and months.

Anyone want to do 30 Day Shred with me???

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 10:12:09 AM
Author: shertz1981
Okay, I''m in. I *was* doing great on Weight Watchers but the last three weeks have been epic food/workout fail, due to vacation, work and the weather.

I have to lose 25 more lbs before I''ll even look at wedding dresses -- and since I think I have 4-6 weeks until I get the ring, I better freaking step on it -- I''ve only lost 20 lbs so far, and that took months and months.

Anyone want to do 30 Day Shred with me???
I would, but I have bad knees...so all the lunges and stuff I can''t do. BUT, I was thinking of adding Winsor Pilates to my routine. I''ll do that with ya for the next 30 days!

Or, my physical therapist recomended these - Gliding Discs. Supposed to be great for your core. I''m think I''m gonna go get some at Sport Chalet.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Shred Pilates sounds good to me!! I''m going to start Tuesday, after I get home from SO''s cousin''s wedding weekend.

And that Glider thing is cool -- maybe that''ll be easier than hula hooping!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Hehe, I ordered the glider discs!!!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 3:27:07 PM
Author: shertz1981
Hehe, I ordered the glider discs!!!
So did I!! Just after I posted, I decided to order. I thought you could buy them in stores, but I guess you can''t. I''m gonna start Winsor Pilates on Monday or Tuesday...then start Gliding when I get the discs!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results