shape
carat
color
clarity

I feel like PS is turning me into a brat

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cygnet,

I have been following your thread/s as i do like the octavias alot, second only to the asscher. :cheeky:
I am sorry to hear with what has happened with the first setting, but it seems like things are turning around for you. :appl: :appl:
I am so happy that you are getting your ooomph back... yay!!!

Maybe, if the NW GTG happens, we can meet up ........and, i can get to drool all over the octavia. hehehehehe

Dust, dust, dust for the next week for you.....

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been following your thread too cygnet, and I'm SO glad you're feeling better about things :appl: Your Octavia is going to look amazing in that setting, I really can't wait to see it!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy to hear you picked out a new setting!! It's a beauty :love:

Btw, just so you know, DF makes up statistics! I imagine the average diamond size is quite modest.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Aww, thanks guys for the dust and well wishes. <3

Sadly the ring has been delayed yet again-- it was finished last week, but was QC rejected so they decided to recast due to pitting and porosity. My new ETA is August 9th. Siiiiiigh. Well, at least it will be done right-- we both want it to be of good quality so we will continue to wait. It seems that I have bad luck when it comes to jewelry! Maybe my diamond is cursed :errrr: ....Well, even if she were, she's far too pretty not to wear. :tongue:

My coworker basically told me to just get over it and if we are really annoyed about not being engaged yet (we were planning on being engaged closer to February...yeah, that didn't work out), then we should just get engaged without the ring. G doesn't want to do that and I think it would be kind of pointless since the thing we've been waiting for this whole time is the ring, so what's another few weeks, I guess, right? I work in the industry-- I think it's a little insensitive to tell someone who works in a bridal jewelry shop that they should just get over it and screw the ring. Meh.

G says he's not making any plans at all until after we have the ring in hand. He says it's been delayed so many times that he doesn't want to make any plans and end up disappointed. So I'm guessing our engagement will be a ways off yet. I got a pretty dress I'm to wear out if he asks me out on a fancy date and I get suspicious, though. I like pretty dresses. :) Of course, my pretty dress plan will be foiled if he does it at a non-fancy place, but that's okay.

eta: I'm not this whiny about it in person, I swear-- I just come to PS to vent.... sigh.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Cygnet - I have a strict rule that pretty dresses can be worn anywhere as long as you feel pretty and want to feel pretty. I can't wait for your ring to arrive to you so we can see it all together!!

CucumberCalm

Rough_Rock
Two years ago, after dating a guy for 2 years, both of us wanting to get engaged, I became completely obsessed with PS, scouring the archives far and wide in search of the perfect ring. I ended up with a breathtakingly gorgeous custom made ring exactly to my specifications with a gigantic center stone, tons of pave, the works. Via these forums I learned how to take fancy photos of the ring and posted those as well. I received pages and pages and pages of support, congratulations, and envy from other PS'ers (you have probably even seen my old ring). I was in heaven.

Then, fortunately for me, I made a discovery about my fiancee that ended our engagement. I returned the ring - never wanted to see it again in my life. I grieved the relationship and have since moved on.

Looking back, I now realize how severely I had lost my focus -- I was completely fixated on the ring, when what I really needed to do was evaluate my situation, my partner, and my happiness. Since then, I resolved that if I'm ever lucky enough to find the truly right man, I will never express any opinion about a ring. The cut, the carats, the setting, the metal -- none of it. I couldn't care less now, and I want the man that I marry to know that I'm not in it for the ring; I'm interested in finding a life partner who wants to commit to a relationship truly, not just symbolically.

Don't get me wrong -- I still drool over big rocks and show excitement for my friends with new rings. But when anyone asks what I'd like in an "e-ring" now, my response is the same: I honestly don't care, as long as it comes from the right guy.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi CucumberCalm, thanks for posting and sharing your story.

My frustration over the last 8-9 months has absolutely nothing to do with my partner. We have been together for a long time and there is no question that we have a healthy, happy relationship, and encourage each other to be better people. I don't think that the focus one puts on a ring has any correlation whatsoever to the quality of one's relationship.

PriceScope is a major interest of mine because it's related to my career field, and I think we all have things that we are passionate about and focus on more than others do. For me, one of those things is jewelry. I'd like the one piece of jewelry I'm expected to wear for the rest of my life to be something that I like and I don't think that's too much to ask. My partner has things that are important to him, too-- he has a nice motorcycle and he buys nice paintbrushes-- those are the areas in which he will not sacrifice quality. When I buy him gifts, if they're related to either of those things, I make sure to meet his standards of quality. It has nothing to do with thinking the things are more important than the relationship. Honestly, I think the ring/relationship false dichotomy is unfair and kind of offensive.

If you've read my posts, you may know that my frustration came more from the drawn-out trouble with a PITA vendor and some issues related to self-consciousness (do I wish the diamond were bigger? Not really. Do I wish I had prettier, skinnier fingers? Yes). My partner has been nothing but supportive of me and my feelings and likes to remind me that I am beautiful and awesome, because that's what people in healthy relationships do. I've barely even thought about the ring since we got it back after it was completed. That stress is over now and now we are just excited that he has a ring to propose to me with because we are ready to move on and get engaged.

This is also a place for us LIW types to vent. I don't talk about this stuff in person, which is why I bring my thoughts here. This has not been some huge thing that we think or talk about every day or even every week or month. But I know that when I want some support or need to vent, the girls on this forum are there for me.

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
cygnet|1377629249|3510805 said:
Hi CucumberCalm, thanks for posting and sharing your story.

My frustration over the last 8-9 months has absolutely nothing to do with my partner. We have been together for a long time and there is no question that we have a healthy, happy relationship, and encourage each other to be better people. I don't think that the focus one puts on a ring has any correlation whatsoever to the quality of one's relationship.

PriceScope is a major interest of mine because it's related to my career field, and I think we all have things that we are passionate about and focus on more than others do. For me, one of those things is jewelry. I'd like the one piece of jewelry I'm expected to wear for the rest of my life to be something that I like and I don't think that's too much to ask. My partner has things that are important to him, too-- he has a nice motorcycle and he buys nice paintbrushes-- those are the areas in which he will not sacrifice quality. When I buy him gifts, if they're related to either of those things, I make sure to meet his standards of quality. It has nothing to do with thinking the things are more important than the relationship. Honestly, I think the ring/relationship false dichotomy is unfair and kind of offensive.

If you've read my posts, you may know that my frustration came more from the drawn-out trouble with a PITA vendor and some issues related to self-consciousness (do I wish the diamond were bigger? Not really. Do I wish I had prettier, skinnier fingers? Yes). My partner has been nothing but supportive of me and my feelings and likes to remind me that I am beautiful and awesome, because that's what people in healthy relationships do. I've barely even thought about the ring since we got it back after it was completed. That stress is over now and now we are just excited that he has a ring to propose to me with because we are ready to move on and get engaged.

This is also a place for us LIW types to vent. I don't talk about this stuff in person, which is why I bring my thoughts here. This has not been some huge thing that we think or talk about every day or even every week or month. But I know that when I want some support or need to vent, the girls on this forum are there for me.

Thank you so much for this. I am currently kind of obsessed with rings, not because I think they have any correlation to my relationship, but because I love jewelry. And it took me a lot of looking and considering to figure out what I actually wanted in a ring - PS is awesome for that. I want my eventual engagement ring to be something I absolutely love and will love for many, many years. I don't think that's wrong. My guy wants a Rolex and I want to get him the one he wants (vintage, not new). He took the time to figure out what his style was, and I want to respect that.

I think people can get obsessed with "things" and think things will make them happy. But they never do. I would marry my guy with a plain band, but if I'm getting anything more than that, I want it to reflect my style and taste. And I feel like maybe CucumberCalm was just saying that she got obsessed with the ring and that she didn't pay enough attention to the relationship - not that you were. I love being able to vent (I've done it) and bounce ideas around with people who share and appreciate my love of jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results