shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Mary in the ruby parure. The white elephant on the sash is one of the Orders given by the Royal House of Denmark.

DWF15-714923.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyAmythyst, no possible way you''re in danger of wearing out your welcome here, especially when you''re posting royal jewels!

I agree, the Denmark ring is fugly...too much metal and too much overall going on with that ring, all three stones are competing with each other not to mention the setting itself. Blech. Come on royalty, you can do better!

I love Princess Di''s and Fergie''s e-rings but I have to say their styles have been overdone here in the US and I am glad to see that halo''s are now harkening back to art deco and other periods and we are getting away from the ''80''s trend of just halo-ing center stones with prongs in lieu of bezels.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Ok last one of Mary (for now) - again in the ruby parure. I think she wears it well! You can just barely see the bracelet that is part of the set.

DWF15-711901.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 10:08:40 AM
Author: baby monster
Date: 10/12/2007 5:15:12 AM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
Well alrighty then!

How about more of Crown Princess Mary of Denmark''s jewels. I think she has the best jewels of any of the crown princesses in Europe.

Some super aquamarine and diamond earrings.
LadyAmythyst, thanks for posting such eye candy.
A quick question since I''m not versed in the royal traditions. When you say she ''has the best jewels,'' do you mean she actually owns them now that they were gifted to her or are they just a loaner for the time that she is a crown princess?
I guess I mean both. Mary actually personally owns the ruby parure. She also has the best jewels to pick from in the royal collection. Many of the other crown princesses don''t have very much serious jewelry at all. To the point that their jewelry isn''t an accurate reflection of their status as crown princesses. You''ll see what I mean when I start posting some of the other women.

Historically the Danish monarchy has been in a position to acquire or inherit many of the jewels which once belonged to the now defunct royal houses in Europe. They have close ties therough marriages and other historical quirks (for instance, the "Greek" royals actually come from a branch of the Danish Royal house and are not Greek at all!) to the Russian, German, English, and Greek Royals. Since the Russian, Greek and German monarchies have collapsed, the Danes and the Brits have come in for quite a windfall jewels wise.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock

Also, I might add that Mary has little in the way of competition for the Danish Royal jewels. There are no daughters or Princesses of the royal blood within the immediate Danish Royal Family - so Mary doesn''t really have to share. Also, Frederik''s younger brother Joachim has been divorced from his first wife and is now engaged again. I highly doubt that his new wife to be Marie will be personally given any of the royal jewels. She will undoubtedly have to have a tiara but she will either have to buy a new made one or borrow from the royal collection. There will probably be one that is sort of set aside for Marie''s use but it will not be given to her.

Royals are notoriously mean in terms of giving away their jewels. They have to be to keep the collection together don''t they? So if you want really great jewels you''ve got to marry the Crown Prince not one of the younger sons. And even then it appears that in some of the royal families (Norway, the Netherlands) the crown princesses will have to wait until they become Queens in order to get the really great stuff! Mary''s ownership of the ruby parure is a pretty unusual situation actually.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Originally posted by Heather Bride2B:

Here is another shot of the ruby ring...It is very pretty.

7165143_polfoto1.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
A few new pieces -

First - a ring I saw in an auction catalog that supposedly belonged to Queen Victoria. It''s of the same breed as my avatar.
1.gif

queenvistoriasring.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
And a ring from the same auction catalog - this one belonging to Queen Charlotte.

queencharlottesring.jpg

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Love all the eye candy, keep it comming.
35.gif

D2B

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a great thread! thank you ladyamythyst, not only for the wonderful pictures but for the great accompanying information as well!
36.gif
36.gif

carry on!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 9:23:16 AM
Author: belle
what a great thread! thank you ladyamythyst, not only for the wonderful pictures but for the great accompanying information as well!
36.gif
36.gif

carry on!

I agree...wonderful thread!!1

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2007 9:37:19 AM
Author: mrssalvo

36.gif
36.gif

carry on!

And I will thritto that! Great to have your here LA!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 9:39:31 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 10/15/2007 9:37:19 AM
Author: mrssalvo

36.gif
36.gif

carry on!

And I will thritto that! Great to have your here LA!
Quadritto!!! Many thanks ladyamythyst!!!

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Princess Mary is stunning! She has that regal, timeless look! And those jewels....

What a classl, she seems to have such a sweet demeanor!

LadyAmethyst69, I am so glad you are here!

Great pictures, please keep posting more!!

36.gif
1.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for this thread! The history, the royalty, the jewels... It''s wonderful!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Oh LadyAmythyst69! This is my favorite thread so far! It''s chock full of history and baubles! And ROYALS!

I do have to say that Royals don''t often go overboard on engagement ring (size) because they DO wear it everyday. It''s usually the provenance or quality fo the ring that is more outstanding than the showiness of it, which I truly appreciate. Quite a contrast from the size race in Hollywood.

I would assume that Harry got to keep Diana''s ring, because William will be king one day, and the liklihood of using a shunned princess'' ring would be a bit much for a crowned royal in that position. He would likely get a new ring made. Likely diamond center, is my guess...

But it''s always been that the engagement rings of royals are never as spectacular as their parures for special occasions are far more ornate. Because they are not worn as often and handed down. Their brooches and hair pieces always amaze me. In the Christie''s Geneva auction there are some stunning pieces from royals currently, that I would adore to own. One is a Chaumet choker that is so perfect, it''s just sad I won''t own it!
39.gif
[see Lot 389]... The catalogue is not up yet, so I can''t post pictures, but I saw it in person and it melted my heart...
30.gif

Here in NY there will be an exhibit of Princess Grace of Monaco''s personal effects at Sotheby''s around October 25th. By far one of my favorite royal, or people for that matter. She was such an elegant beauty! It should prove a very impressive display I hope...

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Nicrez, they showed Princess Grace''s engagment ring on the Today show to promote the exhibit you mentioned - is it a 10 carat emerald cut? I thought it was just gorgeous. It was funny, because Meredit Viera kept saying, "Do I get to keep the ring? Can I have it?" I think she must be a secret PSer.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot get enough of Mary's jewelry. WOW this has just become on of my favorite threads. Any pics of older jewelry... by that I mean, pieces that may not exist anymore, but that did at one time and were owned by royalty where there are paintings with the gems shown? Like from the 1500 on?

I bet the Tsars had some extremely amazing stuff...
31.gif
for example.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love this thread, LadyAmythyst! Crown Princess Mary is just gorgeous and that parare is AMAZING. Thanks for putting together such an interesting thread!

P.S. I HATE the engagement ring that is red, white and blue. I forget whose ring it is, but it is seriously HIDEOUS. Yikes.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a sweet photo of Princess Diana in the early days wearing her ering. She is also wearing her Cartier watch along with Prince Charles'' watch that she was babysitting while he played polo.

dianasring.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
We''ve all seen this photo before but I can''t resist posting it -

Princess Diana on her wedding day wearing the Spencer Tiara.

1981_07_29%20Diana%20Charles____4.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s try that photo again...

1981-07-29DianaSpencerTiara.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The famous Spencer Tiara is only one of three owned by the Spencer family. It is obviously their favorite as neither of the other two tiara''s have been worn (in public anyway) in recent times.

1981-07-29WeddingSpencerTiara.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Victoria Lockwood also wore the Spencer Tiara on her wedding day. At that point it was a bit strange to see someone other than Diana wear the tiara although it belonged to the Spencer family and not to Diana personally. After Diana''s separation from Prince Charles, Diana''s brother Earl Spencer demanded the permanent return of the tiara giving as a reason that he thought Diana would no longer have occasion to wear tiaras. It was a rather ugly episode I think. To my knowledge Earl Spencer''s second wife didn''t wear the tiara when they married.

VictoriaLockwood.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of the other Spencer Tiara''s. IMHO it is gawdawful ugly. You can see why it is never worn. It looks like two tiaras put together (which is quite possible). The Greek Key design was a very popular one for awhile. The Queen still owns and sometimes wears one but more often lends it to her daughter Princess Anne.

theotherspencertiara.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
You guys wanted some more historical, old jewels so how about this?

The "other" Spencer Tiara - usually known as the honeysuckle tiara, has been remodeled quite a bit over time. Here it is on the left looking a bit better than it does at present. The middle is the wife of the 5th Earl Spencer wearing the tiara in 1885 and on the right is the wife of the 7th Earl (Princess Diana''s grandmother) wearing the tiara in 1953 at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. It hasn''t been seen in public since.

theotherspencertiara2.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The third Spencer Tiara formerly belonged to Marie Antoinette. It is pictured here with the Sutherland necklace. (The Sutherlands are a branch of the Spencer family who are also associated with the Churchill''s and the Dukes of Marlborough. Thery''re all the same family.) The Sutherland necklace is comprised of 17 of the largest diamonds from a necklace that was owned by Marie Antoinette AND is the necklace that helped spark the French Revolution.

themarieantoineteeandspencertiara.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 6:24:40 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
The third Spencer Tiara formerly belonged to Marie Antoinette. It is pictured here with the Sutherland necklace. (The Sutherlands are a branch of the Spencer family who are also associated with the Churchill's and the Dukes of Marlborough. Thery're all the same family.) The Sutherland necklace is comprised of 17 of the largest diamonds from a necklace that was owned by Marie Antoinette AND is the necklace that helped spark the French Revolution.
Oh yeah baby! That's why I'm talking about, keep'em coming if you've got them LadyA, this is one fabulous thread! (The second Spencer tiara is really ugly... it definitely looked better before it's present incarnation ). Any other pics of the Sutherland necklace? That necklace looks amazing. Ironic that it helped start a war in which the most famous cause of death, including the Queen's, was decapitation.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I feel dizzy reading and see these royal jewels! Phew. Good thing I''m sitting down right now. Those tiaras are interesting but I have a sudden urge to grab one of those mongo stones out of the bottom of that one, and slap it in a LM ring! Or some Ari earrings...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results