shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love pageants too and was in a couple.

I LOVE those tiaras, worth dealing with the crap I think! They are so pretty with the Mikimoto pearls.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Any Opinions on the pagent this evening?The finalists were beautiful as was the crown...the evening gowns were not attractive...and the winner was stunning in those seriously long turquiose and diamond like earrings...

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 1:28:15 AM
Author: jewelerman
Any Opinions on the pagent this evening?The finalists were beautiful as was the crown...the evening gowns were not attractive...and the winner was stunning in those seriously long turquiose and diamond like earrings...

I have lots of opinions on the pageant, but I''ll try to keep this brief.
5.gif

I CAN''T BELEIVE MISS USA FELL AGAIN!!!!!! THIS IS THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW!!! ARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
6.gif

Russia had a gorgeous necklace, but I doubt it was the real thing. This was not the dress/necklace she wore in the preliminaries, so I''ll see if I can hunt up a picture.

I liked Venezuela''s (the winner) dress and the turquoise/diamond earrings, but I didn''t t like them together. Something in a diamond or gold filigree to compliment the detail on the bodice would have been better. To me, the clashed. For those who didn''t see the pageant, here is a picture of Miss Universe 2008, Dayana Mendoza from Venezuela in the earrings jewelerman mentioned and the new crown.

uni08win3.jpg

minicat

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 9:48:31 PM
Author: surfgirl
mini, I''m not sure what you mean by ''lopping off from another stone..''??? Most of the royal jewels appear to be antique stones and many pieces are convertible, so parts of a tiara or crown, for example, can be removed and worn as bracelets, necklaces, pendants and brooches, etc. But I dont know what you''re referring to by ''lopping off''....can you explain?
Hi Surfgirl,

sorry for late reply

years ago i went to an exhibition style thing (my mum thinks it was de beers) where one of the features of the event was a man who cut a diamond with another diamond, in a hammer and chisel style way. he didnt cut the entire stone, but they said they did it to show how diamond cutting used to be done a long time ago. this demonstrated to us that this was not a precise method by any means and was more than a scary job when one considers that long ago before lots more diamond mines were found (in S. Africa i presume) diamonds were FAR more expensive than they are today.

my thinking is that any really old stones that belong to royals, that also look really good by todays standards, are bound to have been re-cut? that is to say, i presume that any diamonds cut by being cleaved will look dull. and i was wondering if there are any examples of royal jewles that have been and remain cut by this method? and are they still used on occasion? (when i say lopped off, its UK slang for crudely cut/sliced off)

thanks

minicat

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 12:38:35 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Imagine for a moment the sheer weight of those earrings.. my ear holes would have stretched in a heartbeat. lol

No kidding! I wonder if they were clip earrings or if they were pierced (my ears ache at the thought) maybe there was a small hook around the back of the ear to help support it? Are there such things as weight lifting exercises for ear lobes?
5.gif

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/31/2007 4:34:05 AM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
Camilla Duchess of Cornwall has pulled out all the stops this year with the magnificent Delhi Durbar Tiara and diamond earrings and necklace.

I have run across another picture of the Delhi Durbar Tiara. It was originally made for Queen Mary for King George V''s coronoation as Empress and Emperor of India in 1911. Notice in this picture it is more of a crown as it goes all the way around.

delidurbartiara.gif

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Now here''s Lady A''s picture of Camilla wearing wearing the Delhi Durbar Tiara at the state banquet for the Norwegian royal family.

Is it just me or does it look like it has been shortened considerably? Like the whole back half is now missing? On Camilla''s head it looks more like a tiara, not a crown.

Any thoughts or info out there?

delhidurbartiaracamilla2.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 8:48:19 AM
Author: LadyMaria

Russia had a gorgeous necklace, but I doubt it was the real thing. This was not the dress/necklace she wore in the preliminaries, so I''ll see if I can hunt up a picture.

After a bit of searching, I found a picture. Like I said before, I really liked this necklace!

missrussianecklace.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I agree that this is a really cool 1960s-early 70s retro look...

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I liked the necklace, but I didn''t care for the dress. I thought it looked like a maternity dress. Not to mention that this dress was almost the exact same one worn by Miss Russia 2002, Oxana Federova, (see picture, Oxana is the last one on the right). I don''t like it when someone nearly duplicates another''s dress just for the sake of winning. Oxana went on to win the title of Miss Universe 2002, which is probably why they tried using the same dress. I want to see the girl choose a dress that suits her and her personality.

Oxana was fired by Donald Trump after just a couple of months. There are many different stories as to what happened with that, but that is a discussion for another board...
2.gif

02top5.jpg

bluberrygirl2

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 4:27:04 PM
Author: LadyMaria
Here is Queen Rania in an emerald tiara. This tiara just doesn’t do it for me. I like emeralds, but this tiara is just too green, too many emeralds. Somehow it comes across looking like a junk store trinket.

I hate to be crass, but that tiara reminds me of the foiled tiara''s college kids don for St. Patty''s Day drunkeness!
19.gif

bluberrygirl2

Rough_Rock
I wanted to add that this has been my all time favorite thread in pricescope!! Thanks to all the contributors. After reading all the fascinating history and viewing the awe inspiring gems of the world, I myself was inspired to have parure-type jewelry. (Ha, even though I'm just a lowly commonfolk gal). So short story short, I purchased a whole bunch of lovely semi-previous and gemstone beads and made some of my own. I used the typical quartz, turquoise, lapis lazuli, and silver, etc; however, I beaded the pieces in the same fashion as an antique fit-for-a-royal necklace/earing set. Sorry no handmade beaded tiara's or crowns, that would be over the top to say the least! Could you imagine walking into the office with such a bauble?? LOL

I just wanted to thank everyone for pulling out of me a talent I did not know I posessed. Thanks again, and keep on keepin' on!
36.gif

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Thought I''d contribute to this great thread by adding a tiara with an interesting story. I''m sorry I wasn''t able to find better pics of it but anyway, here it goes:
On April 20, 1893 Tsar Ferdinand of Bulgaria married the Italian Princess Marie Louise of Bourbon-Parma. As it was the first royal wedding after the end of the Ottoman slavery and declaring the autonomous Principality of Bulgaria, the Bulgarian society is ecstatic. The wife of the prime minister starts a fund raising campaign for a tiara as a gift from the Bulgarian people to the Princess. A huge amount is raised. The tiara is encrusted with sapphires, emeralds and rubies. An interesting detail is that the tiara could be disassembled to form bracelets, necklace and a brooch.
Later when their son Boris III, Tsar of Bulgaria married Giovanna of Italy, known as Tsaritsa Ioanna of Bulgaria, Giovanna wore the same tiara. Princess Maria Louise of Bulgaria, Tsar Boris’s sister also wore the tiara at her wedding. In 1962 when the son of Boris III and Ioanna-Simeon II of Bulgaria married the Spanish aristocrat Margarita Gomez-Acebo y Cejuela, Margarita wore that tiara.
Princess Marie Louise of Bourbon-Parma...

MariaBourbondeParma1870.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Tsaritsa Ioanna wore the same tiara at her wedding...

2607240.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Her SIL Princess Maria Louise of Bulgaria at her wedding...

2607312.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
and a more recent pic of Princess Maria Louise with the tiara

2607235.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
And finally, the son of Boris III-Simeon II of Bulgaria and his wife Margarita. The bride is wearing the family tiara (wasn''t she a beauty?
1.gif
she still is, in fact.)

2607311.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 1:31:10 PM
Author: AdiS
And finally, the son of Boris III-Simeon II of Bulgaria and his wife Margarita. The bride is wearing the family tiara (wasn''t she a beauty?
1.gif
she still is, in fact.)
Margarita, I mean, not the tiara (though it''s not bad either
2.gif
). That pic is more recent. She''s aging gracefully, I think...

margarita.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 1:24:50 PM
Author: AdiS
and a more recent pic of Princess Maria Louise with the tiara

Fabulous AdiS!! Was the necklace and earrings made on purpose to compliment the tiara? Looks like a pretty parure to me!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Wasn''t there another daughter of Simeon named Kalita or Kalina or something? I thought she had a baby recently, named the kid Simeon, and there was a lot of hoopla about him being born in Bulgaria, first time a member of the royal family was born in Bulgaria since they ended the monarchy?

I''m glad to see the family jewels haven''t been lost in oblivion!

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Hi LadyMaria! Unfortunately I couldn’t find any information on Maria Louise’s necklace and earrings, but I think it is a parure indeed.
As for Princess Kalina, she is the fifth child and only daughter of Simeon. She is an unconventional Royalty, often startling the society with her eccentric fashion choices in the past (at one point she even shaved her head because she lost a bet). In 2002 Kalina married Antonio "Kitin" Munoz Valcarcel, a noted Spanish humanitarian. Princess Kalina gave birth to their first child on March 14, 2007 at Lozenets Hospital in Sofia. The baby's name, Simeon Hassan, is in honor of his grandfather Simeon II of Bulgaria and the late Hassan II of Morocco (because of the friendship between the two royal families).

Here she is in the past (left) looking rather… ahem… unconventional, with her husband Antonio "Kitín" (top right) and with their son Simeon Hassan (bottom right).

kniagina_kalina02.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Kalina''s wedding brought 500 VIP guests in Bulgaria, some of them Royalties. Her wedding dress was a unique combination of haute couture and Bulgarian national costume (not my cup of tea, I have to admit). Her buckle is a part of the Bulgarian national costume and is called “pafti”. The pafti were made of gold or silver and were once an adornment of the wealthier Bulgarian women and the well preserved items cost pretty much a fortune. Kalina’s miniature tiara was in fact an old heirloom brooch of her mother Margarita.

19-1.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s see if I can post a better view of the brooch-tiara...

brooch closer.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, while we’re on the subject, Kalina has four brothers. The second son of Simeon is Prince Kyrill of Bulgaria. In September 1989 he married Rosario Nadal, who resently stirred up gossip when she was spotted enjoying an elegant evening at Claridges and private members'' club Morton''s with Hugh Grant. Personally, I think the woman’s insane, since Kyrill was recently proclaimed by a Spanish magazine the sexiest among all married noblemen in Europe. I would have to enthusiastically agree to that.

So, here’s Rosario on her wedding day, wearing a gorgeous diamond leaves tiara.

89ul.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Here we have Rosario and Kyrill

KyRo1995.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, couldn''t resist
9.gif
Here''s Prince Kyrill (left) in the company of the Crown Prince of Norway. I don''t see why Kyrill had to shave his head (apparently some kind of family tradition his sister Kalina also honours)...

orig_6005_en.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
The fourth son of Simeon-Prince Konstantin-Assen married Maria Garcia de la Rasilla in 1994. IMO she''s the prettiest of all the women who have married into the Bulgarian royal family. The lovely tiara she wears is the Diamond Ribbon Tiara

35oo.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
One more pic of Maria and the Diamond Ribbon Tiara...

96hj.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
They are a beautiful couple...

mariabo0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results