shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Sorry Bobby I've had a very busy week. Thank you for all of the photos! I haven't seen the ones of Queen Silvia, so that was a real treat. :)

Does anyone know anything about this ruby and diamond tiara? I know I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't remember. Thanks!

102448132.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I've also experienced this because of royals, Presidents and Prime Ministers. Never caught a glimpse, though. But this is one of the cons of living in a large city/capital ;-)
But what's Mary doing n this photo? Showing us how easy it is to make coffee/tea?

Anyway...
Yesterday Brunei's Princess Hajah Hafizah Sururul Bolkiah married her beau in a lavish ceremony. The DM offers us some nice photos and video. Attention-It's glittering! Now THAT'S a Royal Wedding!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1348257949|3272394 said:
Sorry Bobby I've had a very busy week. Thank you for all of the photos! I haven't seen the ones of Queen Silvia, so that was a real treat. :)

Does anyone know anything about this ruby and diamond tiara? I know I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't remember. Thanks!

I wonder if I should refrain from telling you and wait until sb else does... But I just can't help it :D
First of all, it's funny that you mentioned this tiara and Queen Silvia in one post without linking the two :D It's funny because this diamond and ruby necklace/tiara is worn by none other but the Swedish Queen herself.
Now the story - It was given to Princess Margaret of Connaught by her uncle and aunt - King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra - on the occasion of HRH's marriage to the Crown Prince of Sweden. After Crown Princess Margaretha's premature death in 1920 it passed to her second son, Sigvard. Sigvard, who after his unequal marriage lost the Princely title and became Count, was rather short of cash and sold most of the jewels from his mother's estate, like the ruby necklace that was wedding present from The Prince of Wales, his siblings and their spouses. The tiara was bought by Gustaf VI Adolf, though Count Sigvard claimed that it was just a collateral for a loan and once he had the money he'd buy the tiara back. However, his father didn't agree and it was left to Sigvard's son Michael after 1973. At some point the tiara was offered to the current King by Count Michael. Count Sigvard strongly objected and loudly disagreed about that. Whenever Queen Silvia wore the tiara there were articles in the press about the bitter relationship between the King and his uncle and that's why HM didn't wear it often. Now that Sigvard has been dead for 10 years the tiara is worn more often, though not often enough ;-)
Among the more notable outing of the tiara are the British State Visit in 1983 (by Countess Marianne), the return gala during Queen Beatrix's State Visit (as necklace), Prince Joachim and Alexandra Manley's wedding in 1995 and the State Banquet in Tokyo, 2007.

Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1348234256|3272176 said:
PS: Come on, people - Stop appreciating silently, respond!

Sorry, Bobby, I am sure this is not the posting you were looking for! I have been reading all your wonderful new postings, but I sometimes get stuck on one topic (have a one-track mind) and have trouble getting off it. Ever since you started me on Daisy and the golden poppies, I have been fixated on them. I wanted to know more about them and to see photos of her wearing just a few of them, etcetera.

Here is a close-up of the poppies. So far I have only found a couple of photos of her wearing several of the poppies alone.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

danishgoldenpoppies.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, I can't believe I didn't recognize it... the irony! :lol: I've been kind of absent minded lately. Thank you for the information Bobby!

AGBF, I have never seen a close up picture of the Golden Poppies. Thanks! It's interesting that the diamond "stamen" of the flowers are anchored by irregular shaped pearls. ;-) And is that a jeweled bettle that I spy on the upper-left poppy? Are there other "bugs" crawling around on the flowers?

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hey Bobby,

Could you post a few pictures of the diamond and ruby tiara worn by Queen Silvia. I don't believe I have seen it worn as a necklace before and would also love to see it worn as a tiara for comparison. Thanks

P.S. Also while I appreciate the poppies as a work of art (the detail and jewels) it is not one of my favorites but to each his own.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1348341693|3272912 said:
Hey Bobby,

Could you post a few pictures of the diamond and ruby tiara worn by Queen Silvia. I don't believe I have seen it worn as a necklace before and would also love to see it worn as a tiara for comparison. Thanks

P.S. Also while I appreciate the poppies as a work of art (the detail and jewels) it is not one of my favorites but to each his own.

How can I resist, laurensmama! How can I resist...

The tiara's latest outing:
35383412.png

A side view*:
untitled_7.jpg

As necklace:
rubytiaranecklace.jpg

*You probably see that the tiara lacks one flaming heart on either side to make it look really good, though this would make it harder to wear as necklace. And the wearer must also have a puffy/elaborate hairdo to balance the tiara ;-)

ETA - I think Count Sigvard's wives looked good (if not better) with the tiara/necklace.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1348345499|3272934 said:
laurensmama|1348341693|3272912 said:
Hey Bobby,

How can I resist, laurensmama! How can I resist...

The tiara's latest outing:
35383412.png

A side view*:
untitled_7.jpg

As necklace:
rubytiaranecklace.jpg

*You probably see that the tiara lacks one flaming heart on either side to make it look really good, though this would make it harder to wear as necklace. And the wearer must also have a puffy/elaborate hairdo to balance the tiara ;-)

ETA - I think Count Sigvard's wives looked good (if not better) with the tiara/necklace.

The design would definitely be improved with the addition of two tapering motifs on either side, to balance the look. This tiara really does need some serious hair to back it up. It looks too tall without some hair behind it. I'm not saying that a "beehive" hairstyle is needed, just some volume and/or most of the wearer's hair behind it. ;-)

Do you have a better picture of the diamond necklace in the first photo?

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Bobby, I think I actually prefer it as a necklace. It just looks spindly like it was wired together. Just my opinion but it looks like it needs something to fill it out. I would love to see a better photo if anyone has it, showing a better view of the necklace. Thanks again.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1348078313|3271058 said:
Last night SAS la Princesse de Monaco attended the launch of the VC&A exhibition at the Musee Des Arts Decoratifs in Paris. One of the exhibits is HSH's diamond and sapphire tiara. The Princess wore a pair of long earrings that mimick her tiara's design and a diamond and sapphire watch:
Earrings
Watch
HSH and the tiara

Bobby

Dear Charlene,

You know that sapphire tiara that Albert gave you? I think he called it "Le Ocean." Someone has misinformed you on what it is to be used for. It goes on your head, not in a cabinet.

Lady M

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1348258941|3272401 said:
I've also experienced this because of royals, Presidents and Prime Ministers. Never caught a glimpse, though. But this is one of the cons of living in a large city/capital ;-)
But what's Mary doing n this photo? Showing us how easy it is to make coffee/tea?

Anyway...
Yesterday Brunei's Princess Hajah Hafizah Sururul Bolkiah married her beau in a lavish ceremony. The DM offers us some nice photos and video. Attention-It's glittering! Now THAT'S a Royal Wedding!

Bobby

Glittering is an understatement!

_1010.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
sunshine996|1348325541|3272807 said:
Oh my goodness, I can't believe I didn't recognize it... the irony! :lol: I've been kind of absent minded lately. Thank you for the information Bobby!

AGBF, I have never seen a close up picture of the Golden Poppies. Thanks! It's interesting that the diamond "stamen" of the flowers are anchored by irregular shaped pearls. ;-) And is that a jeweled bettle that I spy on the upper-left poppy? Are there other "bugs" crawling around on the flowers?

Yes, there are bugs in the poppies. This is one of the many things that just creeps me out about this Halloween Hairpiece. I love all things sparkly, but I draw the line at insects.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1348413363|3273172 said:
Yes, there are bugs in the poppies. This is one of the many things that just creeps me out about this Halloween Hairpiece. I love all things sparkly, but I draw the line at insects.

OK. Then when the next time we watch a televised proceeding at which Daisy wears the poppies, you won't be required to wear a matching tiara (although you usually do coordinate with the pageant of the day).

Deb
:saint:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1348412928|3273170 said:
Dear Charlene,

You know that sapphire tiara that Albert gave you? I think he called it "Le Ocean." Someone has misinformed you on what it is to be used for. It goes on your head, not in a cabinet.

Lady M

LOL LOL LOL

I wonder if there is some sort of agreement between the Princely Couple and VC&A, like a discount in lieu of appearances at VC&A exhibitions (both Charlene and tiara). What do you think?
Still, though, this does not explain why we've not seen it worn as tiara in more than 1 year. A portrait (not a poster in a store!) would do for me ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1348357662|3272997 said:
Thanks Bobby, I think I actually prefer it as a necklace. It just looks spindly like it was wired together. Just my opinion but it looks like it needs something to fill it out. I would love to see a better photo if anyone has it, showing a better view of the necklace. Thanks again.

You might like to search for photos of Princess Lilian wearing this necklace, as there Queen Silvia hasn't worn it more than twice - in her early days as Queen of Sweden and in late 2010 (my photo). Pix from both times are blurry. Lilian on the other hand, has quite fond of it and wore it frequently at the grandest of events ;-)
I can tell you the provenance, but only if you really want me to! :D

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Of course we want you to share Bobby :D . Also the information on the Egyptian royals was interesting and not a topic I believe we have addressed. More information and photos would be appreciated as my knowledge in this area is sadly lacking. Thanks

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
[/quote]

Dear Charlene,

Lady M[/quote]

I really don't think she will wear it very often. WHY, WHY, WHY?! :cry: There are so many events where she could wear it, but the other Royal's in her family don't seem to wear tiaras. She only wore her all diamond tiara, whose name escapes me, once, and that was at their wedding reception. Maybe HSH will wear them when they go to weddings.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1348436133|3273276 said:
Of course we want you to share Bobby :D . Also the information on the Egyptian royals was interesting and not a topic I believe we have addressed. More information and photos would be appreciated as my knowledge in this area is sadly lacking. Thanks

The bottom part of the necklace was a stomacher that belonged to Queen Josefine, which would make it one of the oldest pieces in the Bernadotte collection. Originally there were two pear-shaped pendants on either side of the upper drop, but these were later removed, perhaps at the time when the stomacher was transformed into the current necklace, and turned into a pair of earrings (often worn by CPss Victoria). The upper pendant is detachable and the Crown Princess has worn it attached to a riviere a few years ago. There is a portrait of Queen Josefine where 3 of the diamond drops are replaced by pearls; the last known wearer of the jewel is Queen Victoria. The rest of the necklace is a former diamond riviere.
lilian_necklace.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1348422814|3273220 said:
LadyMaria|1348413363|3273172 said:

OK. Then when the next time we watch a televised proceeding at which Daisy wears the poppies, you won't be required to wear a matching tiara (although you usually do coordinate with the pageant of the day).

Deb
:saint:

LOL! I don't try to coordinate with organisms that have exoskeletons though. It's one of the advantages to being a mammal.

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at some pictures of CP Letizia and saw Sophie Wessex in the background of this one from Frederick and Mary's wedding festivities. What is on Sophie's head??

sophie_tiara_question.jpg

I'm 99.99% sure, but I want confirmation that I'm not crazy.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BubblyBear|1348872728|3276209 said:
I was looking at some pictures of CP Letizia and saw Sophie Wessex in the background of this one from Frederick and Mary's wedding festivities. What is on Sophie's head??

What would make you think that her wearing that tiara was crazy? It looks like the diamond button tiara to me although I do not know what she wore at that wedding.

http://stardollfashionmegirlmeme.blogspot.com/2011/06/great-britain-tiaras.html

Deb/AGBF
:read:

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the link, Deb! I thought it was the Halo/Scroll!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe I've ever seen this ring in this forum, but it is the most interesting looking royal e-ring I've seen. It almost looks like it was made hundreds of years ago with primitive faceted diamonds. This is Lady Sarah Chatto's e ring. She is the daughter of Princess Margaret and the niece of Queen Elizabeth.

gracie_jewellery_sarah_chatto_engagement_ring.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
TL|1349139649|3277758 said:
I don't believe I've ever seen this ring in this forum, but it is the most interesting looking royal e-ring I've seen. It almost looks like it was made hundreds of years ago with primitive faceted diamonds. This is Lady Sarah Chatto's e ring. She is the daughter of Princess Margaret and the niece of Queen Elizabeth.

I always wondered what the engraving on the band is. Normally vintage e-rings are engraved with orange blossoms (which means eternal love in the language of flowers), but I don't know if Lady Chatto's e-ring has this type of motif or a different design. I also wonder which time period it came from and if those diamonds are old mine cut, or european cut.

1340003010_110_1_4017__3_of_5_.jpg

Attachments

• _3.bmp
    732.5 KB · Views: 1,735

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1348872728|3276209 said:

No, it's not the Scroll/Halo tiara. Sorry. This is a small diamond button tiara/necklace that was on loan from a jeweller. Actually, this is not a photo from the wedding itself, but the concert the night before. The next day The Countess of Wessex wore her wedding tiara, a diamond neckalce ad earrings from Gerrards and Queen Elizabeth "(QM)'s clips.

PS: Sorry that I didnt reply earlier, but I moved to another city (to study there) and still dot have permanet internet access.

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pricescopers,

I went to London last weekend and saw the Diamond Jubilee exhibition at Buckingham Palace and then poped ot the Tower of London to see the Crown jewels. saw the 9 largest of the Cullinan diamonds in one day! never thought I would say that.

The star of the Diamond Jubilee Exhibition for me was the State Diadem:

StateDiadem.jpg

The Yellow Diamond at the front is so pale and captivating.

The greville earrings are so long - I never imagined that they would be as big as they are:
multi-cut%20diamonds%20earrings.jpg

and as for these...
200152_3.jpg

The sparkle of them was incredible! what a gift for your 21st!!!

No pictures ever do these justice! It was an amazing day and I just sorry that I was not allowed to take pictures of my own. I was able to snap a few of the Gold State Coach but I think that would be off topic!

The new exhibition of the Crown Jewels at the tower is much better, I have seen them three times in three different Jewel houses the last 24 years and this is the best they have done it. Able to walk around the jeweled sword of offereing from George IV was spectacular.

Of course I have to post a picture of my fav crown...
ImCoI.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I envy you, Neil! What an experiance it must've been to see the Culinans and the other jewels in real life! Most reports that I've read on this exhibit agree with what you say about the size & qulity of the stones in the South African diamond necklace (and also about Queen Victoria's small crown). Did you see the clips and mechanisms that allow the various tiaras and crowns to take diferent forms?
I'm not surprised you were taken by the Diamond diadem, as it's a masterpiece of Georgian jewellery and a very regal piece, as well.
It's nice to read that we share a fav crown - The Imperial Crown of India ;-)

Best,
Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results