Anyone interested in a Weight Watcher''s thread?

Whether you want to start working out, lose weight, quit smoking, or just want to take the first steps towards a heathier life, this is your place to swap tips, ideas and and generally find support towards reaching your healthy life goals!

• 516 posts • Page 16 of 181, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18,

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Re: Anyone interested in a Weight Watcher''s thread?

Post by merilenda » May 25th, 2011, 5:24 pm
I live in Missouri. Currently in KC, but I've lived all over the state. We've been having really terrible weather all week.

Do you know if WW renews automatically? I should probably figure that out if I need to actually cancel it.

I hate it when you ask the doctor something and you don't get an answer. I mean, I know it's kind of unrealistic to expect the doctor to know everything, but it still bugs me. Like, it should be their job to be able to figure stuff out like that. I wonder if an anti-depressant would help with mood stuff? Part of why I don't always like telling doctors about my Graves is that they attribute EVERYTHING to it and just assume that if you can fix that, you should be totally fine. And that there couldn't be any other issues to address.
Happily married since 9.10.11

Post by stepcutgirl » May 25th, 2011, 6:11 pm
I hope all gets better with the weather, it has been so bad.

WW does automatically renew so you wanna go cancel it if you don't want it to renew.

I suppose I could try an antidepressant but I've never had issues with depression before and the timing of when it started was when I was tinkering with my own methimazole because of side effects and what not and got better when I went back on full dose. It was slow moving but I've felt pretty good since Sunday with no real mood swings or crying since then and I've been pretty even keel. I am still shaky though, just a fine tremor shaking which as I'm sure you know goes with Graves. He did note that was worse today than it was before my labs went normal and said he wasn't sure what to make of it because my labs were so significantly improved.

I guess I'll just play it by ear and see how it improves over the next two months and if the moods come back. If they do I might go talk to someone about it but thus far it seems to go hand in hand with the decrease in meds I was taking. Oh, he did tell me to try to start taking calcium to see if it would help the muscle cramps, that mine was not significantly low but was a tad on the low side and could be causing the all over body cramps.

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
Mark Twain

Post by stepcutgirl » May 27th, 2011, 7:50 am
Ok, well the good news for me was weigh in this morning was excellent. I was down 2.8lbs! Apparently my two week break paid off in that I'm focused again and losing again.

As to the seminar I went to last night, it was good, but I didn't hear what I had hoped to. I got a good feel for the surgeon and liked him and during the QA section I asked him what his opinion was on RAI vs thyroidectomy and to my surprise (keep in mind he's a surgeon) he said unless there is a reason why a person cannot do RAI he will not do the surgery! He said it's his opinion that while the risks of thyroid surgery are very low, they are greater than the risks of RAI and as such he will not expose a patient to the risks unless needed. Clearly, this was not what I expected to hear as surgeons will usually try to talk someone into surgery not out of it. But, I certainly respect that he told me what he thinks and I'm starting to do a serious rethink of my own opinion.

Not that I've changed much in how I feel, so much as I might be armed with an internets worth of information, but he was the 6th medical doctor who's opinion I have asked about RAI vs surgery and not one of them has said anything other than do the RAI. 6 out of 6 have told me to go against what I feel and think because I'm wrong. I'm starting to form an opinion here that maybe I really am wrong, ya know? So, I will wait it out the two more months and then see how my blood work goes. Hopefully I will really truely go into remission and not have to decide, but I suspect if that doesn't happen I will go ahead and do the RAI.

Have you decided what to do about WW? Hope you have a great weekend!

Aryana-have you left us? ;(

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
Mark Twain

Post by merilenda » May 27th, 2011, 9:20 pm
Great job on the weight loss! That's interesting on the RAI vs. surgery thing. I just hope you can have your concerns addressed before going through with anything. I feel like some doctors don't want to sit down and really talk to you about things, but it's something that you should expect when making such an important decision. Hopefully you won't have to do it after going into remission though. At least it sounds like the seminar was informative.

I kind of feel like I'm not being very disciplined about the diet recently. I'm not going crazy or anything, but I'm eating unhealthy enough to probably not be losing really. I didn't weight myself this week because I had such a busy week at work and forgot. And I'll only weigh myself right after I get up, haha. I have a feeling that it will be hard to stick with anything this weekend, since we're heading home for Memorial Day.

I think I'll cancel my subscription to WW but haven't decided if I want to keep tracking points or switch over to calories. I've had a lot of success in the past counting calories, and it's free.

Post by stepcutgirl » May 29th, 2011, 10:43 am
I have been researching RAI more since realizing I probably need to go that direction. I did find some ways to minimize one of the side effects I'm scared of (worsening of eye issues) by being premeditated with steroids, so that was a bit of a relief. I'm still not thrilled with the RAI thing, and really hoping for good blood work!

When you were counting calories before, how many did you eat a day? How do you know how many to have to lose vs how many to maintain? I'm sure that part is pretty simple, I've just never really counted calories so I'm a little ignorant of how many or how few one can have.

Mark Twain

Post by Aryana » May 30th, 2011, 2:19 pm
I'm sorry I am still MIA most of the time. I don't log in much during the week and we were out of town last weekend so I didn't get a chance to post.

Stepcut and Merilenda - I'm sorry to hear about the Graves. Ugh, I can't image having to choose between 2 highly different treatments, each with their own pros/cons. And insurance - yuck. Good luck with your decisions. Stepcut that sounds promising about the possibility of minimizing side effects. And here's to really, really hoping you are in remission.

Well...WW is still on the back burner. I need to figure out what I'm doing because I am burning away money by paying for meetings that I don't attend nor do the program. I really don't want to quit, but I can't seem to get my act together anymore. I weighed myself one day (after I had eaten) and I was up about 5 pounds. I know it wasn't an apple-to-apple comparison, since I didn't weigh with the same conditions, but it scared me. Granted, there is still Italy in those 5 pounds, but still.... I tried to be pretty good this week, but haven't weighed myself. I am very discouraged, because I was doing so well (although slowly) and was very close to my original goal. Now, I'm going in the opposite direction and not sure what to do. Lunch is my big problem. I'm already taking breakfast and fruit, so to add lunch I'm going to look like a pack horse. I need to be able to fit on the train! I'm not much of a sandwich person, although I will eat sandwiches from a restaurant/deli. So I've gotta get this figured out.

Stepcut - congrats on your big weight loss!! Yippee!

Post by stepcutgirl » May 30th, 2011, 6:40 pm
Thanks Aryana. How are you liking the new job?

I think we are all sorta off the WW wagon! I did well last week and then this week has fallen to pieces! I've been sure to track but we've been at his parents and my parents and out to eat a few time and I blow through my points and then quite a few every day! Its crazy!

Do you have a grocery store near work? If you do you might be able to stop there and get some frozen meals to have at work to make lunches easier?

Mark Twain

Post by merilenda » June 1st, 2011, 8:51 am
Hey stepcut, sorry I missed this post! When I was counting calories, I used a site called fitday. It used to work really well for me, but when I've logged in recently, it seems like there's a lot of ads there now. I mostly use sparkpeople to track these days, but keep my fitday account, because I can't find some of the features it has on sparkpeople (both are free, btw).

On fitday, you input your current weight and then your target weight & a target date. It will compute for you how many calories you should eat in a day to meet this goal (and tell you if that calorie goal is healthy). If you're a math person, I'm sure you could easily compute the number for yourself - I'm just lazy. But you would need to know about how many calories your body burns in one day based on your weight, lifestyle, etc. And then if you figure that you lose one pound of fat for every 3,500 net calories, you figure out how many net calories you need to burn to lose that amount of pounds (3,500 x # of pounds wanting to lose). Then divide by the number of days you have until your target date. For instance, the last time I plugged this into fitday, it told me that I need to have a net loss of 600-some calories per day to meet my goal.

Did that make sense? I probably didn't explain it very well. But it has always really simplified things for me to think of it as a simple math equation. 3,500 net calories burned = one pound.

Post by Aryana » June 1st, 2011, 9:49 pm
Stepcut, thanks for asking. The job is okay, but I'm really missing my life of leisure! Fortunately the pay is better!! I'm from the midwest and there are several things going on that I would like to go to this summer, but I don't have much vacation yet. So a bit bummed by that. I'm also the only female in a group of non-talking males so it is a long, quiet day. From what I have seen so far, they are all very nice, but they don't chat. Sometimes I find it funny, other times not so much! The first week I was there they had a status meeting. 5 men, me and the female big boss. They have all worked together for something like 5 years, so you would think they would be friendly. Each man walked in, sat down and didn't say a word. at all. nothing. Then, they report their status. Not a smile or a joke, or a tangent - nope - they didn't deviate from their status. They answered questions. When it was over they all got up and left, still saying nothing to each other. It was truly interesting to watch! It was like they were all new employees and didn't know each other. Sometimes I kind of 'force' them to talk to me - good thing I have gotten good at interrogation-style communication (I have to use that on my teenage nephews to get them to talk to me!) But, as I said, they are very nice and I prefer that over being talkative and a jerk!

I am trying to get back on the WW wagon. I began the day good but deviated along the way! At least it is a start!

Post by stepcutgirl » June 3rd, 2011, 8:40 am
Thanks for the info Merilenda. I'll look into it.

Aryana-Your job sounds painful but funny! I can imagine myself being like you and making them talk to me. :cheeky:

So...my weigh in was +2.4lbs this week. Once again, not unexpected. I really need to get on the horse, pick another horse and get on it or just be happy being fat. I don't feel like the third option is one I can be happy with so I'm trying to give this some real thought. I know the problem is me. I've been lax with tracking and have a very screw it attitude. My exercise is patchy at best and I'm just not putting forth the effort. I'm trying to really decide what I want to do so I can put forth my best effort and get back on track. :sick:

Mark Twain

Post by Aryana » June 4th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Ugh, I am with you. I was so into WW and now I'm just over it. Granted, I have been doing it for a looong time, but I still had more I wanted to lose. I wish I could get back into it, I don't know exactly why I am struggling. I think mostly because it is SO much harder now with work and I'm tired and don't have time for much of anything. But, I'm not doing well on my own. Between Italy and work I have gained around 5-6 pounds (I think). So, now I obsess about gaining the weight back but I'm not doing anything about it...quite a quandry I am it! I saw a picture of me from 1.5 years ago and it was upsetting - I WILL NOT go back there. I just have to get my head back into this somehow. Maybe we can all get back on our horses!!!

Stepcut, have you heard anything about the jobs? I hope whatever you want to happen happens!
Merilenda, glad your dental pain is over!

Post by stepcutgirl » June 5th, 2011, 11:29 am
Aryana-I'm sorry you are struggling too. Maybe it's the warmer weather? I have no idea why but it seems like we were all doing well and then poof, it got warm and we all jumped ship! I did REALLY bad Friday, I ate dinner, then went out and got gelato, then went to a local draft house for trivia and had an appetizer platter and then fried onion rings! I wasn't even hungry after dinner but I just kept eating! It's disgusting. I did much better yesterday (Saturday) and so far today so good. I'm trying to be very aware of what I'm eating and making sure as soon as I finish eating, if not before I eat, that I track it.

I have heard from the job but only twice (its been a month since the interview) once was to tell me they had checked my references and all was well and they had some internal processing to do then again two weeks ago to tell me that they were still doing internal processing and would be in contact with me the following week. The following week was last week and I never heard from them. I'm stuck between contacting them again and waiting for them to contact me. I don't want to bother them and seem like a pain but if they can't or don't want to hire me anymore I'd kinda like to know. It's been three full weeks since they called me references and that seems like a long time, to me. I really want this job so I don't have to drive so far but I'm not sure it's going to happen anymore. ;(

Mark Twain

Post by redfaerythinker » June 7th, 2011, 10:45 pm
Hey ladies, will some fresh blood get you all back on the wagon? I need to lose some weight so I just joined the online version of WW. I also started the couch to 5k program. I did my second workout today and it was harder than the first time. What gives?

But anyways... Hi! :wavey:
"You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself" ~ Emily Dickinson

Post by uklfstyle » June 8th, 2011, 11:51 am
Good Luck everyone with the ww program.waiting for replyes from the ones that progressed.

Post by Aryana » June 9th, 2011, 12:08 am
Welcome redfaerythinker and uklfstyle!! I'm willing to try anything to get back on the wagon, so hopefully good vibes will rub off on me!

I have been trying to eat better, but haven't been tracking. I'm probably eating too large of portions since I"m not using my scale. But slowly I'm getting a little more in-tune with my eating and making healthier choices. So maybe, just maybe, I can get back on the plan.

Good luck to us all! =)

Post by stepcutgirl » June 10th, 2011, 10:19 am
Rft and ulk-Welcome and good luck! Here's to hoping some newbies will help us out and that we can help you!

My weigh in was this morning. -0.8 for me. I'm happy enough with that, I'd be happy with anything if it would stay off! I'm so tired of gaining and losing the same 2-3lbs. I definitely did better on my eating this week, though it was not without some flaws...namely wine, pizza and cupcakes last night! This week I'm going to do my best to get 30 minutes of activity at least 4 days this week. Hopefully that will help.

Mark Twain

Post by Aryana » June 12th, 2011, 1:10 pm
Step, congrats on the .8. Certainly better than gaining! I know it is frustrating when the scale just goes up/down/up (aka butt bigger/smaller/bigger)! I still haven't gotten back into WW mode, but trying to make smarter food choices. I want/need to start tracking again and weighing/measuring. I'm going to start trying to do that more tomorrow (since it is Monday) and see if I can at least do that much. Maybe I can inch toward doing the full plan!! Gosh, I am lame....

How is everyone else doing?

Post by redfaerythinker » June 14th, 2011, 12:08 am
Well I had my weigh in today and I've lost 7 lbs! YAY ME! :appl: And I finished week one of the Couch to 5k tonight. So I celebrated with cake. lol :lickout: 2 Steps forward and 1 step back. 8)
"You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself" ~ Emily Dickinson

Post by stepcutgirl » June 15th, 2011, 8:14 am
Congrats RFT! That is excellent! :appl: Did you lose 7lbs in one week or have you been on the plan for a little bit? I remember when I first started I used to go get a cupcake from a local bakery on my weigh in days if I had done really well. I think for most of us food as a reward is so built into who we are it second nature.

I got some very promising numbers on the scale this morning. It's not my weigh in day until Friday so I'm really hoping it's a real loss and will stick around! I haven't had two consecutive losses in a very long time. I need off this plateau!

Mark Twain

Post by redfaerythinker » June 15th, 2011, 12:42 pm
Thanks stepcut! It was over about a week and a half. I also started the couch to 5k so I think that and really upping my water intake is what did it.

I hope your scale isn't lying and that you have a great weigh in on Friday. =)

Let's keep it up ladies!

Post by stepcutgirl » June 17th, 2011, 12:10 pm
7 lbs is a huge loss for a week and a half! Keep up the good work!

I'm down 2.0 today. I'm a happy camper!

Mark Twain

Post by Loves Vintage » June 19th, 2011, 11:58 am
Hi Ladies,

I just joined WW on-line. Is anyone else doing the program on-line only?

Hoping the transition will go ok for me. I have a 5 month old and had gotten used to eating quite a lot over the past year! I didn't gain that much during the pregnancy, but was a bit overweight to begin with, and am having a bit of trouble losing the last 10 pounds of the pregnancy weight. Of course, I'd like to lose even more than that, but this is where I am today. Uggh.

I will go back to read some history on this thread so I can get to know you ladies better. I hope to be checking in regularly!

Cheers!
LV

Post by stepcutgirl » June 24th, 2011, 2:15 pm
Down 1.2lbs for me today. I'm not sure how as last weekend I ate and ate and ate. By Sunday all my weeklies were gone. Oh well, I'm happy for another week of losing. It's nice to see the scale moving in the lesser direction for several weeks in a row now as for for so many months it stayed parked.

LV-I am doing online only. I did meetings for about a month back in January but didn't feel they helped and didn't like them. I've been online only since February.

Mark Twain

Post by Aryana » June 30th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Hi Ladies! Well, I was finally able to go to a meeting to see the damage. (One good thing about jury duty is that I was able to get home earlier!). My grand total is up 5.8 lbs - eek. Although, I am justifying that it isn't all that bad since it includes Italy and 3 months of new job/not tracking. BUT, must nip this in the bud. Sadly, I didn't find the meeting all that inspiring however I'm going to try hard this week and see how I can do.

Post by stepcutgirl » July 4th, 2011, 7:32 pm
How have the last few days gone Aryana? I did well again this week and lost 0.8. I met my 10% goal and set a new goal of 15lbs less than current. The scale says I'm actually UP 4.6lbs since Friday but I'm pretty sure that's not actually possible so I'm trying not to freak out. The same thing happened last weekend but I had a night of lots of beers last Friday so I figured it was beer bloat and went away overnight and stayed away. This increase popped up overnight and has been holding steady for 2 days. I have eaten out 3 times since Friday so I'm hoping its just increased salt and will go away again. I just can't imagine that it's a real weight gain...but I'm concerned.

We are moving this week so it's a little hectic and we've been working on the new house till late and then I don't feel like cooking so we've been eating take out. I hope this is short lived and I will get back into my routine that's been working for me lately.

Mark Twain

Post by ZahraLeyla » July 4th, 2011, 8:20 pm
Hope it's okay for me to join in here...

I'm doing WW in Australia. Today I reached my 5% goal, which I'm really happy about. I have only been on the program for a few weeks, so I'm still learning, but it really does make sense and I find it quite easy to fit into my lifestyle. I'm recommitting myself to exercise this week - I'm a sporadic amateur cyclist at best! - and am actually quite looking forward to re-establishing a routine in the gym.

When I first went to my meeting, I couldn't believe how non-terrifying it was. I'd been putting off joining for so long because I thought I wouldn't fit in. It's nice to know that there are lots of other people just like me going through the same thing :)

Post by stepcutgirl » July 7th, 2011, 3:04 pm
Welcome Zahra! I hope you are enjoying WW and we are happy to have you here!

Kevin-I haven't heard of any new plan...but I'm not a fan of change! Any rumors on what the change will be?

Mark Twain

Post by Ella » July 7th, 2011, 11:08 pm
Sorry stepcut. It was a spammer. :))

Ella

Pricescope Moderator

Follow us on Twitter: @Pricescope

Post by stepcutgirl » July 9th, 2011, 4:02 pm
Written by Ella » July 7th, 2011, 11:08 pm:Sorry stepcut. It was a spammer. :))

Darn Spammers! Oh well, for the better that there is no new plan to learn!

Mark Twain

Post by Dreamer_D » August 8th, 2011, 2:24 pm
I'm baaack!!! :bigsmile:

Seems its a new crop here, but some familiar faces too! I will read back when I get a chance and see what's up in everyones weightloss journey so far!

In June through October 2010 I lost 20lbs doing the online WW. I did it to lose the last 10lbs of my baby weight from my first pregnany -- in which I gained 60lbs -- and also lost 10lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight in hopes of having a better pregnancy this time around. I then got pregnant in October and obviously stopped weight watchers.

Despite planning to gain less this pregnany then last I actually gained more -- a total of 70lbs :eek: Dropped about 30lbs in the first two weeks post-partum (water etc) but am now sitting at 40lbs to lose and have been sitting here for the last month. I'm six weeks post-partum now. So I started WW online again! I am breastfeeding so I get 8 extra points per day! woo hoo! Seems like a lot. Hope it works!

DH is on WW with me again since he gained about 18lbs while I was pregnant :rolleyes: We did eat ANYTHING we wanted, so I am not surprised.

Anyways, hoping to lose the weight fast! We started running last time, which was also put on hold for pregnany, and will likely start working up to it again soon. Going to start walking first to strengthen my pelvic muscles again. They need it!

One Ring to rule them all.

516 posts • Page 16 of 181, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18,

« Return to Healthy Lifestyle