shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone interested in a Weight Watcher''s thread?

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
If you like sweets (and I''m a HUGE Skittles fan so I know how you feel) check out the Dreyer''s Fruit Bars: Linky link. They are 1 or 2 points each, are sweet without being too sweet, and I find that they kill my sweet cravings. I especially love the lemonade flavor, but strawberry is nice too.

My problem is cupcakes. I''ve been having mad mad cupcake cravings, especially on days with my long runs. I''m doing 6 miles tomorrow and I know I''ll be thinking about cupcakes the whole way.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha... my sweet tooth is just as much about the texture as it is about the sweet -- it is all about the mouth feel
2.gif
I like 5 cent candies from 7-11, like big feet and such. Anyways, if I want a "treat" it has to have that enjoyable texture for it to feel like a treat. I am not into chocolate or ice cream, and other sweet things without the texture I like. Salt water taffy is nice too
2.gif

Anyways, blabbing on about sweets in the ww thread is probably evil so I will stop. But I do somehow have 5 points left for today and I am trying to think about something good to spend it on
11.gif

An Tgal, 8 points is like 8 pieces of whole wheat bread
23.gif
LOL! For my husband, bread is like crack so I think he would actually choose the bread.

Oh and I am proud of myself tonight. We got sushi and I made miso soup for us and we had edamame and I noticed I was feeling a little full so I stopped eating and put the rest of my sushi away for a snack!
36.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
I started doing WW again about 5 weeks ago after stopping late last summer. I should have never stopped!

I''m not much of a sweets person, but oh the savory snacks I miss! Crackers, cheese, chips, etc. It''s not been hard to NOT eat them, yet I still miss them. My new best friend is Pop Chips. Have you guys had those? 3 pts per serving and the barbeque ones are so so good! They carry them in the "health food" section of my grocery store here.

I''m eating every sandwich I eat on Thomas Light English Muffins. 1 pt each! For bfast (or lunch), I''ll do a fried egg with 1/2 oz shredded pepper cheese. For dinner, I''ll do either a Boca chicken burger or regular burger with hot wing sauce on it and four or five SMALL crumbles of bleu cheese. So, so good. If you do the regular boca burger, you end up with a 2 pt sandwich. The chicken on is 4 pts total.

Have you anyone else made single serving pizzas on a Flat Out wrap? You have to make sure and cook them until they''re really crispy on the bottom, but it makes a pretty good pizza that can be very low points. I usually target 4 pts per pizza.

I save my weekly points for the end of the week so that DH and I can go out and eat. I''ve cut out all the junk food in the house and put a ban on regular visits to his favorite Mexican restaurant, so I gotta give the guy something. He really needs to do WW with me, but we''re not there yet. Or rather, he''s not there yet.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
April Welcome! Hopefully when you have lots of success your hubby will get on board too.

Have any of you bought the weight watchers whole wheat bread? It is basically regualr bread but the slices are thinner and a little smaller and so 2 pieces is only 1 point! So you can eat a sandwhich for 1pt of bread, or you can have two sandwiches and thus "spend" your calories on the filling rather than the bread, which is much more salisfying.

Last night I went and got some skinny cow ice creams. Very satisfying for 1-2 points!

Tomorrow is my weigh in day, but we only started on Wednesday so it would not be a whole week. I am worried I did not lose anything, I don''t weigh myself in between. Should I weigh in tomorrow and just take my lumps or should I wait another day??

This week I have 15 flex points left over and we used 26 excercise points!
36.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys! So I have found that I do really well at breakfast (usually egg white omelet with a little cheese and mushrooms) and dinner (usually a protein with green veggie or salad and maybe a scoop of starch that the boys are eating) and really well at snacks...my problem is lunch unless I make it easy and do a Kashi or Amy''s frozen meal. Does anyone have good ideas for lunch that are low in points? Thanks!

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow, this thread is moving!

EricaR - Congrats on your weight loss so far! I can''t wait to be within 10lbs of my goal. And thank you for the info on C25K. I''d looked into it in the past but I think I will try it out.

merilenda - Tgal gave you some great info. I, too, like the ''count down'' aspect vs. the counting up to my calorie limit.

Tgal - I find that I never skip breakfast anymore either and I used to most days of the week.

Dreamer - I hate when I spend points on something (like candy) and then afterward feel like it so wasn''t worth it. Thankfully those instances are becoming fewer and fewer and I find that I really really enjoy that orange or plum in the afternoon and am not really missing the twix bar so much anymore.
You guys are racking up a ton of activity points!! Makes me want to get off my butt and get some in too.

I''ve never bought WW bread so no help there.

I would weight tomorrow if it were me.

April - Congrats on getting back into WW. I love the Thomas Light English muffins too. Sounds like we often have the same breakfast!

Steph- Lunch sometimes gets me too so I''ll be curious about others'' meal ideas.

Today was weigh in day for me. I''m down another 2lbs for a total loss of 3.9 lbs! I''m so excited and motivated to keep going!
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I''d just weigh in on the day you choose, because you''ll have the extra bonus of the full 35 flex points, hehehe. I started on a Thursday, but had my first weigh in on Monday. It was fine, and I don''t think it derailed anything.

I haven''t tried WW bread. The only WW product I eat is WW string cheese, which I initially thought was disgusting but it''s grown on me. I just use regular TJ''s bread (Milton''s) which has high fiber and is one point a slice. Sometimes I''ll just make an open faced sandwich and eat with a knife and fork.

Steph, are you able to make lunches at home? My favorite quick lunch is baked tilapia and a bunch of steamed broccoli. Quick and easy and filling. A lot of times, I''ll just have leftovers for lunch as well. Or I''ll poach some chicken for the week and have it on salad greens. I''m generally more creative for dinner.

I hit my first weight loss goal today of 5%. Took me 7 weigh ins. I feel like that''s a long time, but it''s not really. I''m enjoying it and working out more as it''s fun.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Tgal, yep I''m able to make my lunches at home. I LOVE tilapia. We have it often for dinners, so I will just plan to make a little more next time for leftovers...good idea! I have salads a lot too, but they get a little boring sometimes. Congrats on your weight loss, that is great!

April, great ideas with the chicken and pizza!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steph I am not help, lunch is my big meal of the day I am finding so no ideas from me!

TGal Good for you for hitting the 5% goal! What is the next one you will set for yourself?

IG Good for you for losing 2lbs this week! That is great. Now get off your butt and get moving
2.gif

Well it was hard to see on my scale, which is not digital, but I recorded a loss of 1.5lbs this week!
36.gif
DH of course lost 2.5lbs
20.gif
He gets to eat more and loses more. Men. SO I am happy with our losses given it was a 5 day week for us.

We ran this morning which was like the most brutal run ever! MURDER! I wanted to stop the whole time. But I did not. And now it is 10:45 and I am seriously STARVING so I think I will have lunch early.

This week will be a challenge for us as we are visiting family for the holiday weekend. Our plan is to NOT use any of our flex points Mon-Wed and then we will have an extra 9 points per day on the holiday weekend. I am hoping that it is enough
32.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steph, yeah, tilapia is an easy lunch and very low in points. I just spray the cookware with TJ''s olive oil spray, a little salt, pepper and garlic seasoning, plus lemon. Broil for a few minutes. I take broccoli and put it in a covered corningware casserole with a bit of water. Nuke for 3 minutes, season with a little salt and put lots of lemon juice.

The meal is seriously no fuss, quick, filling and low points. I hate dealing with a ton of stuff for lunch so I find this is a great lunch meal if I don''t have leftovers. In fact, I am eating it today. I think for the right size tilapia, it''s about a 3 point meal, which is pretty low for something that feels like a full on dinner. I buy the tilapia from Costco as they are nice sized fillets and then I freeze them individually in ziplocs, and defrost the morning of my lunch.

I also have been doing a lot of spinach. I bought a jar of minced garlic so I can be lazy and put a dollop of that in a pot with a bit of water. I put a few handfuls of spinach and a pinch of salt and cover and cook for 2 minutes on medium. Uncover, stir on high for a minute and splash on the lemon juice. 0 points and filling.

Dreamer, hooray for your weight loss!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forgot to answer Dreamer, but the next goal the program set for me is at 10% loss.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Congrats Tgal for 5% loss! That is awesome!
36.gif
And thanks for the talapia suggestion. I don''t live far from work and it''s such a quick and easy meal.

Yay Dreamer for a 1.5lb loss!!! It''s so encouraging to see that scale move. It does seem like it would be more difficult to stay on track with a holiday and family in town. Sounds like you''ve got a plan though which is great! You''ll probably find that you''ll stay on track just because you don''t want to undo the progress you''ve made so far.
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw, a tip that works really well for me...if I''m not feeling quite satisfied at the end of a meal, I have a cup of tea. I love tea, so that''s a plus. Bigger plus is by the time I''m done with it, it''s pretty much killed any more craving for food.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 4:52:52 PM
Author: TravelingGal
btw, a tip that works really well for me...if I''m not feeling quite satisfied at the end of a meal, I have a cup of tea. I love tea, so that''s a plus. Bigger plus is by the time I''m done with it, it''s pretty much killed any more craving for food.
I just made myself some peppermint tea. I have to admit, staying within points is hard for me, I am hungry but I know it will get better if I stick to it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steph did you opt to start WW? Or are you tracking points on your own?

Because we are running a fair bit -- around 20km per week -- I am really unsure about how to adjust my points. Like, should I use my flax points on the days I run? I want to make sure I recover from the running as we are really training, but I want to lose weight too.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I have done WW in the past (pre online version) so I have all the materials at home to do it. I was going to try and track it myself for a few weeks and see what kind of results I am getting. If I am seeing results, I will probably just go ahead and sign up online since it''s so much easier to track that way.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 6:55:46 PM
Author: FL Steph
Dreamer, I have done WW in the past (pre online version) so I have all the materials at home to do it. I was going to try and track it myself for a few weeks and see what kind of results I am getting. If I am seeing results, I will probably just go ahead and sign up online since it''s so much easier to track that way.
Well I think that is a really good plan! I wish I had paper copies of stuff, it would be easier when I was not near the internet.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else that has any tip or tricks to help, please feel free to post...

One thing I do is for dinner, I will put my meal on a salad plate and DH's on a regular plate. I realized at dinner we were eating the same portions, which just isn't going to work for me when he's 6'1 and 180 lbs...I just have to get over the fact that he gets to eat more than me. I feel like this sort of "tricks" the mind into thinking you are getting a similar amount b/c the plate is full.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought some of us miught find this interesting if we ever opt to keep track of points without using the online system (found on the online message boards):

Your personal daily points target- use this formula
1. Are you
female?- score 2
Male?- score 8
A nursing mom?- score 12
2. How old are you?
17-26- score 4
27-37- score 3
38-47- score 2
48-58- score 1
over 58- score 0
3.What do you weigh?
Enter the first two digits of your weight in pounds.
(for example, if you weight 199, you will add 19 to your score)
4. How tall are you?
Under 5’1- score 0
5’1-5’10- score 1
Over 5’10- score 2
5. How do you spend most of your day?
Sitting down? score 0
Occasionally sitting? score 2
Walking most of the time? score 4
Doing physically hard work most of the time? score 6

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 9:44:53 AM

One thing I do is for dinner, I will put my meal on a salad plate and DH''s on a regular plate. I realized at dinner we were eating the same portions, which just isn''t going to work for me when he''s 6''1 and 180 lbs...I just have to get over the fact that he gets to eat more than me. I feel like this sort of ''tricks'' the mind into thinking you are getting a similar amount b/c the plate is full.
Yes! We have been doing this too. I am bitter about DH getting to eat more than me, well not bitter, but you know what I mean. He gets 8 more points per day than I do! It is a lot. Last night I struggled to keep my points to the daily (saving the weekly for this weekend) and just managed and he had like 15 points left for dinner!
29.gif
haha

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 9:44:53 AM

One thing I do is for dinner, I will put my meal on a salad plate and DH''s on a regular plate. I realized at dinner we were eating the same portions, which just isn''t going to work for me when he''s 6''1 and 180 lbs...I just have to get over the fact that he gets to eat more than me. I feel like this sort of ''tricks'' the mind into thinking you are getting a similar amount b/c the plate is full.
That''s always a great tip Steph. I also use smaller cups for coffee if I am going to use cream. I eat my jello pudding cups with a mini spoon.

I mentally plot out what I am going to eat for the day in advance. That helps figure out point totals and helps me stay on track.

This probably goes against good advice, but I step on the scale every day, multiple times a day. First, it keeps me in line, so I''m not scared of the scale come weigh in day. Second, it helps me to know how I weigh in throughout the day and week. I''m beginning to understand my weight patterns. I have about a 3 pound range, it seems. So it''s not the actual number on way in day I''m concerned about, but that the entire RANGE keeps moving downhill.

For wines, I measured out a 3 oz pour exactly and have a wine glass with a logo on it. I know now where 3 oz is in relation to that logo EXACTLY, so I don''t over (or under!) pour. I always drink wine out of that smaller wine glass now.

I''m at my computer all day, so I take breaks and look for fitness tips and success stories to keep me motivated. I also have a "fat" pic of myself readily accessible.

If I really need a splurge, I ration out portions on a plate/napkin and eat far away from the kitchen. That way, if I want more, I have to get my lazy butt up and get it. So usually I don''t.

I plan to buy a few clothes on the way down the weightloss hill. I find I feel better when clothes fit properly and make me look good. This goes against my frugal nature to "wait until I lose the weight." I''ll buy a few cheap things at Ross/Marshalls.

For date night, I will pick a place in advance and check out the menus. If they have nutritional info, I''ll plot out what I am having in advance. If I don''t, I''ll choose the item that''s most obvious in ingredients and do points calculations. However, I do believe in spluges and some times, I''ll give myself a break from the journaling and just enjoy - within reason.

Exercise, exercise, exercise, even if it''s just a 30 minute walk. I know that nutrition is 80% of the weight loss, but after exercising, I''m energetic and much less prone to screw up the day by gorging on something stupid.

Measure one spot of your body (or more if you want) every week with the weigh in. That''s more telling than the scale and kept me sane when the scale blipped upwards.

If you don''t already have a food scale, get one. It''s almost imperative, IMHO.

And this was a big one for me...whatever Amelia does not eat (and that can be a lot on any given day), I either throw it out or put it back in the fridge if it''s salveagable. I DO NOT eat it. I used to eat it because I hated wasting food, but that''s a lot of stuff I don''t care to eat that I''m eating just because.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info Dreamer. I have a question though...I am down a few pounds already, so do I need to adjust my points down for every 10 pounds lost? I''m afraid the answer is probably yes. It was hard enough with the points I had
6.gif

Great tips, Tgal! I used to eat A''s leftovers too because I hate waste. It pains me to throw stuff away, but I don''t want to add it in to my points. Oh and thanks for the tilapia idea...just went to Sam''s and bought a huge pack to freeze.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steph, you would have to adjust your points as you head down the scale - that is, if you want to continue to lose.

WWOnline has a fun "cheat sheet" tool about various topics. I am particularly enjoying the Chinese food buffet one where you put food on your plate and it tells you how many points. Holy cow.

Aryana

Shiny_Rock
I would like to join in this thread! I''m new to PS, but lurked for a very, very long time.

I joined WW about 3 months ago and I attend meetings. I have definitely lost weight, but have a lot more that
I want to lose. It has been pretty slow going, however I don''t exercise like I should. I am doing okay with the
eating part, but the exercise has been more difficult for me.

I thought I would share a few tips that I have learned:
I agree with TGal above that a scale is imperative. I bought mine from WW and I love it - the best money I have
spent in a while! It calculates the points for you (you enter the type of food and it determines the points). I find
I get a WHOLE lot more food this way. I place a bowl on the scale and slice strawberries until I hit 2 points. Then I
take out the offending slice and eat a huge bowl of strawberries for 1 point. It is a lot more strawberries than I got
when I used a measuring cup.

I talked to the leader one day about my slow weight loss. She said sometimes people need to mix up their points from
day to day. She told me to eat 3 extra points every other day. It did seem to help somewhat. She also told me to
drink 2 glasses of wine a week. She said there was something in wine that helps women lose weight. I''m not sure I
have noticed this, but I''m still giving it a shot!! (I did find that the weekend I went to Sonoma I lost quite a bit, so
perhaps I need more than 2 glasses/week)
1.gif

My leader is really good about sharing food tips. She told us about a frozen dessert called ''Arctic Zero''. It is made with
whey. An entire pint is only 128 calories (3 points). It is extremely liberating to just grab a pint and eat out of the
carton, knowing I can''t do that much damage! I personally didn''t care for the chocolate or strawberry/banana, but I
like the vanilla. I have yet to try the chocolate/peanut butter or the mint chocolate cookie. Some Whole Foods stores
carry it or you can check their website for store locations.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 1:27:21 PM
Thanks for the info Dreamer. I have a question though...I am down a few pounds already, so do I need to adjust my points down for every 10 pounds lost? I''m afraid the answer is probably yes. It was hard enough with the points I had
6.gif

Great tips, Tgal! I used to eat A''s leftovers too because I hate waste. It pains me to throw stuff away, but I don''t want to add it in to my points. Oh and thanks for the tilapia idea...just went to Sam''s and bought a huge pack to freeze.
Yes, this is my understanding!

WW is a very low calorie diet. Even using all my flex points for the day (5 additional) I am only getting about 1700 cals, so without those fles points it is closer to 1400... so use the flex points if you need them! I expect you will still lose.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve decided to start manually tracking points - well, tracking calories on sparkpeople and then adding the points system in to make it more "fun." If it works well, FI and I will definitely join WW officially when our job situation straightens out.

I have a question for you ladies. And maybe I need to go back through and read the whole thread for ideas, but what do you normally do for breakfast? I had two eggs with a little bit of cheese and fresh spinach today, and it was 6 points! When you only get 20, that''s a lot for not that much food.
38.gif
I''m sure there must be better options.

FI wants to lose weight too (and has no idea how to diet!) so he''s doing it with me. He had 3 eggs and then this big piece of cake for breakfast, haha. It ended up being 20 points - my entire allotment for the day! He gets more points than I do, but still.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 6:42:53 PM
Author: merilenda
I''ve decided to start manually tracking points - well, tracking calories on sparkpeople and then adding the points system in to make it more ''fun.'' If it works well, FI and I will definitely join WW officially when our job situation straightens out.

I have a question for you ladies. And maybe I need to go back through and read the whole thread for ideas, but what do you normally do for breakfast? I had two eggs with a little bit of cheese and fresh spinach today, and it was 6 points! When you only get 20, that''s a lot for not that much food.
38.gif
I''m sure there must be better options.

FI wants to lose weight too (and has no idea how to diet!) so he''s doing it with me. He had 3 eggs and then this big piece of cake for breakfast, haha. It ended up being 20 points - my entire allotment for the day! He gets more points than I do, but still.
I eat one cup Kashi Go Lean cereal and half cup of 1% milk. That''s 3 points.

One fage yogurt (low fat) with 1 tbsp honey, 4 llbs

3 egg whites with spinach, plus one slice of wheat toast with a wee wee pat of butter around 2-3 points

I keep breakfast to 4 points. I eat again at around 10-11ish, so since I eat every 2 hours or so, I don''t have to have a huge breakfast. But I do have a filling one.

Looking at your breakfast today: Substitute one of your eggs with an egg white and you''ll drop 2 points. You can even do 2 egg whites+ 1 egg

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thought of another trick, I started chewing a piece of gum while I clear the dishes after dinner so I''m not tempted to eat anymore while putting leftovers away.

Oh and for breakfast I''ve been having an egg white omelet with mushrooms and cheese for 4 points.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, 4 points for brekkie is my goal too.

I have one cup of shredded wheat with bran, 2 tbs of bran buds, 1/2 cup 1% and a serving of fruit (strawberries, apple, peach). DH eats the same but has about 6 points with more cereal and milk.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Egg whites! I used to always get Egg Beaters egg whites, so I should probably start doing that again. Egg whites/veggies and a piece of wheat toast sounds so much more filling than what I had. I think I''ll leave the rest of the eggs for FI and switch over (he gets more points anyway).

I also discovered that I''m eating almost no fiber! I need to work on that as well. I made tequila lime salmon for dinner, and it turned out to be yummy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results