shape
carat
color
clarity

With gold prices rising, wold you consider...

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Andelain|1299960013|2870284 said:
Funny you should ask............

I bought a .67 ct I-SI1 ES stone loose from WF and wanted to be able to see it on my hand and next to the stone it's going in a ring with, so I found a silver 4 prong setting on ebay and set the stone in it. Here's a peek at my handiwork.
WFES67pt-SilverRing.jpg
WFES67pt-SilverRing2.jpg

It looks really nice Andelain!!!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Trekkie|1299951657|2870228 said:
I also agree with the poster who said that maybe Lemony would get a bit lost in the 22kt gold. But then again, I love your current set, so I could be quite biased. Something about the yellow prongs and the white gold just makes me drool.

Have you considered perhaps putting Lemony in a yellow gold bezel but keeping the rest of the ring the same? Of course the final decision is entirely up to you - I know Lemony will look good in just about any home!

Yes... THat is a good idea to mix and match colors... THanks for the advice and opinion!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
asscherisme|1299917277|2870060 said:
Wait, you are thinking of setting your amazing HUGE lemony diamond in silver? I love silver but would be nervous about having such a large amazing stone in it.

I thought silver was one of the softer metals? And what about tarnish issues?

What kind of a reset are you thinking of?

Actually Argentium is pretty sturdy - Michael E said that daily wear wouldn't be a problem with Argentium cause it is pretty strong. :)

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
no thank-you! silver tarnishes WAY TOO MUCH for my liking... it turns a blecchy black.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
pwendyp|1299928230|2870071 said:
"Benchmark Argentium Sterling Silver rings are guaranteed for life!"

Hi Amethyste!

I love silver, and although I've not seen the Argentium type first hand, have read a bit about it in the past. These guys guarantee their rings for life...says something I reckon, about its durability and strength.

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/about-argentium-benchmark-silver-rings.html

The price difference you mentioned between 24k and silver is a huge one, and not to be taken lightly. There's a mass of things you can do with the other $2,500!

Would I put 'lemony' into silver...yes I would, but only if I was certain I was going to like the finished look. The CAD you showed originally of the 24k housing your diamond was dreamy, but I sometimes wonder if such a rich gold might overpower the lighter yellow of your stone. Kind of like lemon competing with rich honey...

Would it look as lovely in silver? How about getting a couple of CAD's done, one with just silver, and the other with silver and a yellow gold bezel. It might look spectacular...but without even a 'kind of' image...perhaps we can't imagine it fully.

You know, the Victorians used silver an awful lot, even for diamonds, and some of those antique rings are still holding up today.I do feel we are somewhat entrenched in the notion that it must be gold or platinum to be of worth. Which of course, is simply not true!

I vote for seeing a CAD...

:))

*eta* What Kenny said about the development of patina...I really think the style and design of your ring, and the 'old world' shape of your stone, totally lends itself to this look developing over time...I'm liking the idea - a lot!

Hey girlie... You are really sweet ot give me all of these ideas and the first one to suggest mixing metals :) I will request from Michae la new CAD eventually - I put this reset on hold until I have all of the facts together and I am certain of my decision... I totally agree when you say: "I do feel we are somewhat entrenched in the notion that it must be gold or platinum to be of worth. Which of course, is simply not true!"

It time to change that!!!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought i'd post a photo of an aquamarine ring my friend made that is gold and silver.

IMG_3326aqua.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have made the switch to sterling for some of my settings. I recently had an aquamarine set in sterling silver, instead of white gold, and I've just dropped off a pearl and a pair of green zircons to be set into sterling. Last year I had a ring made where the stone was bezeled in yellow gold and the shank is silver. The reason for all this is to save some money.

Silver can be a beautiful metal, especially when the design uses the fact that the high areas will be brighter and the lower areas will tarnish. Here is a picture of my sterling clasp. I keep a polishing cloth handy to give it a quick buff and I don't worry about the contrast between dark and shiny. Just be sure there is enough metal around to hold in your precious diamond. I agree that mixing metals is a great way to save some money.

Clasp_1896.jpg

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Amethyst, have you ever looked at Sevan Bicakci for inspiration? He mixes silver and gold. Some of his designs are way out there, but some of them have more of a Renaissance flavor. Check out his Theodora ring.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
E
siamese3|1299978123|2870447 said:
Just thought i'd post a photo of an aquamarine ring my friend made that is gold and silver.
Who made this ring?! It is beautiful!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
anitabee|1299975925|2870428 said:
no thank-you! silver tarnishes WAY TOO MUCH for my liking... it turns a blecchy black.
Argentium silver does not tarnish. ;-)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love silver. I've set everything from 20 carat tourmalines to rubies and opals in silver. It's a noble metal (not, like, table of elements-wise, but you know what I mean), with a long and proud history. If it was good enough for everybody from the Romans to the Victorians, it's good enough for me!

The only reason I'd hesitate is that I remember an old thread of yours where somebody thought your ring was a pretty fake, and you were really offended. Silver is gorgeous, but it looks like silver. It has a different hue and a different sheen and develops a different patina from white gold or platinum: even if most people don't know why they'll ID a piece as one thing vs. another, on some level, they still can.

Given the popular prejudice against silver as a precious metal, I think you'll probably get a lot of people assuming it's something like a David Yurman knockoff in silver (big stone, bold design with antique-y details, silver), whereas in high-carat gold, it'll look more like what it is. But if you've gotten to the point where other people can hang and you just want something you love (and that doesn't break the bank), I say go for it! Worst case scenario, you can always plate or reset down the line.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1299988032|2870556 said:
I love silver. I've set everything from 20 carat tourmalines to rubies and opals in silver. It's a noble metal (not, like, table of elements-wise, but you know what I mean), with a long and proud history. If it was good enough for everybody from the Romans to the Victorians, it's good enough for me!

The only reason I'd hesitate is that I remember an old thread of yours where somebody thought your ring was a pretty fake, and you were really offended. Silver is gorgeous, but it looks like silver. It has a different hue and a different sheen and develops a different patina from white gold or platinum: even if most people don't know why they'll ID a piece as one thing vs. another, on some level, they still can.

Given the popular prejudice against silver as a precious metal, I think you'll probably get a lot of people assuming it's something like a David Yurman knockoff in silver (big stone, bold design with antique-y details, silver), whereas in high-carat gold, it'll look more like what it is. But if you've gotten to the point where other people can hang and you just want something you love (and that doesn't break the bank), I say go for it! Worst case scenario, you can always plate or reset down the line.

Hey Circe!

Man.. I was this shallow 2 years ago? I guess I've gone through a little grown-up time since then... I am a bit ashamed of myself when I re-rad that. What a twit I was :razz: Seriously, I am at a point in my life that I TRULY don't care what others think. *I* know that my pear is real and if another person thinks it's a pretty citrine, then who the @$^#%& cares lol. At least the ring I wear/will wear had something pretty enough to spark a comment.

The fun thing about this new design is that it will be brushed silver - kind of a different look rather than shiny silver... I think it will be fabulous that way too. Thank you so much for your comment, Circe!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I emailed Michael E and he said that making the bezel into yellow gold is possible, but the cost goes up $300 or so. I think most of that is labor time I assume...

Hmmmm... Pretty interesting!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
YES!

I love silver!
It is my favorite white metal.

Some of the newer alloys are even better than Argentium.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Which ones, Karl? :)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyste|1300023019|2870682 said:

I'm interested too Ame, although I think it is mostly irrelevant for your purposes. Argentium is going to be the one you will find the most. Argentium (and I would assume, the other newer silver alloys) requires a completely separate set of tools like separate polishing stuff, special solder,etc. You cannot mix it with regular sterling, so unless a jeweler feels that it is worth the setup costs and the learning curve (it has different working properties and soldering techniques than standard sterling), they aren't going to mess with it. So you can see that setting up to work in some other even harder-to-obtain alloy is going to be problematic. Stick with your idea of Argentium. But do remember that for now, all silver tarnishes, period. Even fine silver (which of course you would never use for something like your baby). It's just a matter of how much and how fast. There is no such thing yet (to my knowledge and I read Ganoksin when I can) as "stainless" silver. I did read an article on Ganoksin about a platinum sterling alloy that claimed to not tarnish, but the article was from 2004, and has anyone seen any of this stuff on the market yet? I haven't, and I think it shows that either the claim was exaggerated, or the technical problems of working with the metal have not yet been overcome.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1300032258|2870754 said:
http://www.abipreciousmetals.com/Sterling with Platinum/Sterling.htm

There is also a 95% silver 5% plat but I can no longer find the info and my link went dead.

Read 'em in order (meaning the order is date-order) The first is likely the abi piece you lost.

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/platinum-sterling-alloy.htm

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/platinum-sterling-alloy-1.htm

http://www.valentinesjewelrydesign.com/1/post/2009/7/new-silver-alloy-silver-mixed-with-platinum.html

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
siamese3|1299978123|2870447 said:

THat is GORGEOUS!!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ksinger|1300034147|2870767 said:
Karl_K|1300032258|2870754 said:
http://www.abipreciousmetals.com/Sterling with Platinum/Sterling.htm

There is also a 95% silver 5% plat but I can no longer find the info and my link went dead.

Read 'em in order (meaning the order is date-order) The first is likely the abi piece you lost.

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/platinum-sterling-alloy.htm

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/platinum-sterling-alloy-1.htm

http://www.valentinesjewelrydesign.com/1/post/2009/7/new-silver-alloy-silver-mixed-with-platinum.html

Thanks!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! It's one of my favorite rings. I also have a large peridot she did in yellow gold and silver. I think the brushed silver with a high karat gold bezel and accents sounds very cool.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Amethyste, would it be possible to have your existing ring modified, since you liked it so much? The idea I has was to half-bezel the pear, and maybe corner bezel the trillions.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Andelain|1300053101|2870959 said:
Amethyste, would it be possible to have your existing ring modified, since you liked it so much? The idea I has was to half-bezel the pear, and maybe corner bezel the trillions.

I think you'd still need to do a CAD and redo it - and the CAD and time to design is worth some $$$ too...
Many things to think about, THanks Andelain :)

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Amethyste|1300054982|2870980 said:
Andelain|1300053101|2870959 said:

I think you'd still need to do a CAD and redo it - and the CAD and time to design is worth some $$$ too...
Many things to think about, THanks Andelain :)

If you got to the same person for the reset could he use the original CAD as a starting point? It may be just minimal work and $$$ to change to bezels.

Amethyste|1299973363|2870395 said:
bean|1299924879|2870067 said:
Would I put a 5 carat diamond in silver? No... feels like an oxymoron to me.

Ouch! :bigsmile:

Not meant to offend, just preference.

Ultimately, you should do whatever makes YOU happy.
If you like it in a halo- then halo! 3 stone ring? 3 stone ring!
If you want to set it in silver.. do silver!

I just would never do silver because I have owned a lot and I am tired of cleaning it...
I also like finer metals for more substantial diamonds/ gems.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I personally wear Yellow Gold. I think they only way I would is if I could know that I could plate with YG plating and have it REALLY last a long time. Otherwise I'll just have to stick to yg lol.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Amethyste, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, but I personally would put a valuable diamond neither in silver (argentium or not), nor 22k gold. If I was concerned with price, I would go with 10K gold which looks quite similar to 14K but is cheaper (and actually stronger). I would not put a stone in 22k unless it was bezel set (and really embedded down there). I own a lot of 22k which is beautiful, and I haven't had problems with stones in pendants or in earrings, but the ring I had in 22k with an emerald which is prong set--the emerald pops out all the time. The prongs are just too flexible to hold something that's on your hand and gets bumped around a lot. As for silver, argentium is very new. We're still in the stage of believing what the salespeople and inventors say about how it will hold up long term (like say, 50 years). I look at old jewelry which used to be set partially in silver, before the discovery of the blow torch that allows jewellers to use platinum, and it looks really grotty to me once the silver tarnished behind the diamond, which it ALWAYS does. Argentium is supposed to be tarnish free, but I don't think you really know that for sure over time.

Plus it is true that you are automatically going to make your diamond look low end, in silver, especially because it is a colored diamond. People are definitely going to assume it is a semi-precious stone. You say you won't care, but even if you think you don't, continually having to explain, yes, this is a diamond is going to get wearisome. I don't think it's realistic to say that you absolutely do not care what other people think, It's not good to care too much but it's very rare not to care at all. However, this is a minor issue compared to the fact that metal is relatively untested and may not hold up well and that you may have either tarnishing or an issue of losing your diamond (I don't know the mix in argentium, but in high grade silver, gems should be bezel set also. there are the same issues of softness as there with 22k gold).

No offense is meant. It is just a suggestion. Go with 10k gold.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
My aquamarine was supposedly set in argentium and it's tarnished REALLY bad. Really bad. I thought they didn't tarnish or at least not badly - but this thing looks worse than my mom's silverware after not using it for years.

Other than that, I have no problem with silver.

maviduvar2000

Rough_Rock
Trade
The Gold Estimating Software

The Gold Estimating Software

You can calculate the future value of your current gold from the following software.
You can obtain the equivalent of your gold by entering the grams of your gold and the year you want to see.
The program calculates in ten-year period.
P.S.: All figures which are used in calculation of gold prices, compiled from comments of the experts.

http://www.altinfiatlari.net/2011/11/the-gold-estimating-software/

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I have thought about it, but I don't know a lot about silver. I'm not sure I am entirely comfortable with doing it.

Also, is there any trouble in finding a jeweler that does it? Amethyste, who has offered to do it for you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results