shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s the meaning behind your SN?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a spin-off thread from Mercoledi''s question about a fellow PSer''s screen name...

...there are pricescope screenames that we can all figure out (ex: Door Knob Solitaire, SanDiegoLady), but others that um...take a little work. If you''ve got one of those cryptic screenames, explain it here! Cuz there are quite a few that I''ve always wondered about...

I can start...mine is actually a combo of my cats'' names - Elmo and Morton (I know it looks like "El" the Spanish word for "the" combined with Morton, like I''m "The Morton" - but alas, there is only one Mr. Morton, and he''s currently napping on my bed). :)

vslover

Shiny_Rock
mine''s easy....though I''ve sometimes wondered if people think it means victoria''s secret lover...but it''s not. It''s supposed to be "vs diamond" lover
lol

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanna know about people''s signature line QUOTES! Some of them make me wonder EVERY TIME I read them.

For instance:

"Women are either goddesses or doormats" Pablo Picasso

Huh? Is this meant to be empowering? My (limited) understanding of Picasso''s life is that he specialized in turning Goddesses INTO Doormats ... with sadistic glee! Only one or two women made it out alive!??? Am I correct??

-------OR---------

the one about the most satisfying things to do are the ones people tell you you can''t do

Huh? Then your satisfaction is based on OTHER PEOPLE. You''re *connected* and tied to others'' expectations. It seems youthfully, thoughtlessly rebellious to me ... but maybe I''m missing the point.

Never seems like a good time to ask, as I''m always noticing them in other people''s threads -- so, in the thread about ScreenNames I''ll hijack anyway & ask about Quotes.
3.gif
20.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I picked mine because I originally signed up on PS to ask whether people thought it was weird for me to buy my own diamond as an RHR. Why shouldn''t a gal who was, at the time, independent - since FI and I weren''t dating exclusively yet - have a diamond too? After everyones'' encouragement (so not so independent after all!) I bought a Tiffany Legacy from Signed Pieces with a 0.3 ct center.

So, for me it was the specific context of my initial question - about being on my own but still wanting a diamond - that made me choose my PS nickname.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 2:01:27 PM
Author: decodelighted
I wanna know about people''s signature line QUOTES! Some of them make me wonder EVERY TIME I read them.

Never seems like a good time to ask, as I''m always noticing them in other people''s threads -- so, in the thread about ScreenNames I''ll hijack anyway & ask about Quotes.
3.gif
20.gif

Everytime I see T-gal''s quote I laugh...I love the quote itself, but it''s the longest running "Quote of the week" I''ve ever seen!
21.gif

(Says the girl who still needs to get rid of her anti-Valentine''s day avatar...)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 2:05:25 PM
Author: Selkie

Date: 2/20/2008 2:01:27 PM
Author: decodelighted

3.gif
20.gif

Everytime I see T-gal''s quote I laugh...I love the quote itself, but it''s the longest running ''Quote of the week'' I''ve ever seen!
21.gif

(Says the girl who still needs to get rid of her anti-Valentine''s day avatar...)
Ha...funny, I was just thinking YESTERDAY I need to get rid of the quote of the week thing!

I was changing them weekly for a (short) while, but this one I really liked, so I never changed it. So I think now I''ll leave the quote of the week part there. Neener neener!

And obviously my screenname is self explanatory...I''m a gal who loves to travel...until I got tied down with TGuy. Wah!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Awww, too cute! Thanks for the old threads, I had a blast reading them.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Well, my story's sort of twisty-turny, but not really interesting, I don't think...

J and I posted on a forum together--my name there was 'gwenhyvaer,' one way to spell 'Guinevere,' from the Arthurian legends and (at the time) one of my cats. To tease me, he'd call me 'gwendolin,' because it was close but not quite to my SN. Well, my cat ended up dying, so 'gwenhyvaer' wasn't quite as lovely and fun to me anymore, and I quite like J's version. So that's the name I used when I signed up here, with the slight adaption to make it the Celtic spelling (with a 'y' instead of an 'i'), because I think it looks prettier and because it drives J nuts to have Celtic anything, since he's English.
11.gif
3.gif

It's much prettier than my actual name, Kristin (which no one in England can pronounce correctly!!!
11.gif
)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is easy to figure out, I have a Tacori engagement ring.

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 2:30:52 PM
Author: gwendolyn
Well, my story''s sort of twisty-turny, but not really interesting, I don''t think...

J and I posted on a forum together--my name there was ''gwenhyvaer,'' one way to spell ''Guinevere,'' from the Arthurian legends and (at the time) one of my cats. To tease me, he''d call me ''gwendolin,'' because it was close but not quite to my SN. Well, my cat ended up dying, so ''gwenhyvaer'' wasn''t quite as lovely and fun to me anymore, and I quite like J''s version. So that''s the name I used when I signed up here, with the slight adaption to make it the Celtic spelling (with a ''y'' instead of an ''i''), because I think it looks prettier and because it drives J nuts to have Celtic anything, since he''s English.
11.gif
3.gif

It''s much prettier than my actual name, Kristin (which no one in England can pronounce correctly!!!
11.gif
)
I find it to be interesting! I guess you look like a Gwendolyn to me, so you telling your actual name is interesting.
1.gif

Mine, not too interesting... It''s the same name I use for everything - My first car I bought all on my own and brand new was a "sweet jetta" in 2004. Killjoy, huh? Now it''s 4 years old and has 68,000 miles on it. No longer sweet. Or new.

Deco - my signature really isn''t that intriguing, but I was in a conversation with my best friend one day trying to tell her how emotional I can be in LIW status, and that''s what came out of my mouth. She finally understood what I was going through...
2.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is easy. I originally wanted a Legacy but then decided the name was not worth it. I am in love with the ring that is being made for me now though and I think I love it even more than the legacy (especially since it has more diamonds
30.gif
).

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think I mentioned this previously on the other threads. My name is from my first name, Amber, and the "waves" part comes from the song, "Oh Beautiful" (Amber waves of grain). It wasn''t until I''d been here some time I realized it was a character in "Boogie Nights"- a **** star. Soooo, it''s not ****-themed, I swear!
1.gif

For Deco: my quote is from a song in the Juno soundtrack, other lines like it- if you were a hug I''d be a kiss, things like that.

matildawong

Shiny_Rock
The matildawong is a drink at this great bistro I used to hang out at in NC. It''s in a giant fishbowl and they only let you order one for the night.
I''ve never had one -- I quit drinking before I ever noticed them (ha!) but they are pretty and kind of lethal (I gather) and the name just rings cute when I think of the drink.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Mine means Lucky Lady. I may not have the biggest sparkles but I consider myself to be very fortunate to have my wonderful family and all that I need, I''m very grateful plus I thought it was cute!

I used to have a signature that said "Life is short, buy the shoes." -Barbie, that I got off of my coffee mug and I also LOVE shoes! Every time I look at it I think...hmmm life really is short, I really shouldn''t live without those heels...my little way of justifying my shopping habit.
2.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Mine comes from a high school nickname. My first name is Jodi, and one of my nicknames was Jodi Flier (kind of a long story where the flier came from) but anyhow, I shortened that to joflier and started using joflier or a variation thereof for all my internet stuff.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Some of my friends named me this because I love the ABBA song. It''s been my ringtone for years and it''s obnoxious, but I love it! :)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is a just nickname bestowed on me by a friend of mine
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
My real name is Rebecca and a lot of people call me Becca which was shortened to bee by some of my close friends so that''s where my SN comes from. I added the * for the craic
3.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Mine is not really creative. The ''D'' is my BF''s last initial, so it''s soon to be my last initial. Sunnyd, the juice (which I hate, BTW). Tadaaaa!
9.gif

BF made fun of me when he figured it out. Pooper.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I studied Latin language and Roman history for my college minor, and I always admired Octavia, the sister of Augustus (Octavian) and wife of Marcus Antonius. She was a powerful mediator and diplomat, opened a public library, and was always known for being loyal, kind, intelligent, and generally a good person, even when she was being used as a political pawn by her male relatives. Women tend to get lost in history -- especially ancient history -- and she just seems so awesome that my SN is kind of an homage to her left over from my nerdy college days.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My would-have-been engagement ring was a princess mounted on the corner. The shape of a kite.
When I first started posting I was just my first name but once I learned that Starset was a term to describe how my stone was mounted, I changed my name.
Part of me thinks about changing my SN because it doesn''t have anything to do with me anymore and the last thing I''d want is a ring that resembles it.

My avatar used to be all versions of the wizard of oz. But that dream is over so now it''s just a picture of a woman with my haircut.
On my best night I wish I looked so iconic.

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 3:33:30 PM
Author: Starset Princess
My would-have-been engagement ring was a princess mounted on the corner. The shape of a kite.
When I first started posting I was just my first name but once I learned that Starset was a term to describe how my stone was mounted, I changed my name.
Part of me thinks about changing my SN because it doesn''t have anything to do with me anymore and the last thing I''d want is a ring that resembles it.

My avatar used to be all versions of the wizard of oz. But that dream is over so now it''s just a picture of a woman with my haircut.
I''ve seen a picture of you with that haircut - and you look just as beautiful!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 3:33:30 PM
Author: Starset Princess

Starset, I saw that pic you posted with that haircut. Then I thought your avatar WAS you. You are just as gorgeous!

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Aw man. I wish I would have put more thought into my SN when I registered. Now I feel dumb. Haha.

ang = my name
3199 = cell digits

sooooo original.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
When I first saw my setting, the sales agent we were dealing with said "It''s gorgeous! It''s .... *sparkalicious*"
Conveniently, I thought that was the perfect screen name for a jewelry forum.
9.gif

**Great question Elmorton! I have been wondering about screen names for a while now and have never asked.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is a rearranging of the name I use for all other things (email, AIM, other forums). I changed it to be less recognizable but now I dont care so much. It is funny because no one spells it right. Oh well. My real name is Amanda, by the way. Nice to meet you all
9.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Musey, one of my friends used to call me "Musey" because I was "easily amused" - I always wondered if you were, also, haha! Your story (from the old thread) about being a "muse" is much cooler, though.

Starset - I saw your av pic last night when I was watching The Girls Next Door! Bridget was planning her b-day party and looking for 1920''s dos- and she had a stylist that brought a bunch of pics and one of them was your av photo.

Matildawong - that is so cool about the fishbowl drink! For sure one that no one would have EVER figured out.

Coati- LOL, too cute - LOVE the wiki description.

Miscka - SERIOUSLY, replying to you on my diamond stud ? thread was putting me in fits! I''d scroll down to get the spelling, then look at it, and scroll down again. I''m sure I spelled it wrong a couple times even though I kept double checking, ooops! :)

I love hearing the little interesting stories! Sorry for the repeat thread, but I''m really glad so many new people have shared the meaning behind their sn! Very cool.

EMPTorres

Shiny_Rock
My SN isn''t very unique..
21.gif

E (the first letter of my son''s name) M (the first letter of my name) P (the first letter of my husband''s name) Torres (our last name)

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 4:02:09 PM
Author: Miscka
Mine is a rearranging of the name I use for all other things (email, AIM, other forums). I changed it to be less recognizable but now I dont care so much. It is funny because no one spells it right. Oh well. My real name is Amanda, by the way. Nice to meet you all
9.gif
Miscka - I always see yours and pronounce it "mishka" - but it really reminds me of my grandparents old cat - her name was Mutchka and was Polish for "cat". I guess that''s why I''m always drawn to reading your posts. Seriously, I''m not a stalker...
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results