shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What''cha making for dinner tonight? We''re having a chicken casserole that I made yesterday, plus veggies on the side. I haven''t figured dessert out yet.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
No idea. We''ve got leftover corn bread, so I''m thinking soup! Roasted pepper soup with corn and...well, we finished the black beans in our chilli last night, so maybe with chicken? Or maybe I''ll just run to TJ''s for more beans...My friend will be here visiting and she''s super picky, though, so we''ll see...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought some ground beef, so probably burritos. I'm trying to make low-cost dinners with nearly entirely unprocessed foods. My kids are so picky and their "vegetable," nearly every night ends up being an apple or orange.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I picked up some trout at the grocery store yesterday, so I''m going to make some trout fillets with what looks to be a delicious pecan sauce (new recipe, yay!)

Since fish always takes about 10 minutes to make, I''ll probably just throw some baby spinach in a bowl with some lemon and EVOO dressing and call it a night!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 4:51:20 PM
Author: princesss
No idea. We''ve got leftover corn bread, so I''m thinking soup! Roasted pepper soup with corn and...well, we finished the black beans in our chilli last night, so maybe with chicken? Or maybe I''ll just run to TJ''s for more beans...My friend will be here visiting and she''s super picky, though, so we''ll see...

I always forget there''s a TJ''s here! I should check it out soon -- maybe this weekend. Soup sounds good, especially on a cold night like tonight.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 4:53:53 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I picked up some trout at the grocery store yesterday, so I''m going to make some trout fillets with what looks to be a delicious pecan sauce (new recipe, yay!)

Since fish always takes about 10 minutes to make, I''ll probably just throw some baby spinach in a bowl with some lemon and EVOO dressing and call it a night!

I lurve trout! mmm DH will bread it (after fileting and deboning) and sprinkle some cajun seasoning on it, its TDF. Sometimes he''ll stuff it with sundried tomatoes, lemons, and greens; also very good.

We''ll probably eat mahi mahi with brocoli and cous cous.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH is making cheeseburgers on the grill . . . Omaha Steaks cheeseburgers!!!
18.gif

We''ll probably have some cinnamon apples for dessert.
9.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Omelette! Quick and filling. I''m home alone and feelin lazy.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
T-bone steaks and parmesean potatoes...maybe some green beans.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Pasta with grilled scallops and prawns, roasted grape tomatoes and pesto sauce.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I thawed out some chicken breasts earlier. I think I''m going to cut a pocket in them and stuff them with sauteed spinach and sun dried tomatoes mixed with a bit of cream cheese. I usually do it with pork chops, but I think it will work just as well with chicken. I''ll make a thin gravy with chicken stock and a bit of lemon juice to finish them off. I''m also going to roast some fingerling potatoes with onion and garlic. I''ve figured out that if I boil the potatoes until soft and then roast them, they almost get the consistency of a baked potato straight out of the oven. DH got the idea to top the potatoes once out of the oven with a bit of bleu cheese, so I''ll probably do that.

We have coffee ice cream with small hazelnut, caramels and chocolate truffles throughout. It''s wonderful. I might have to have some of that.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 5:19:22 PM
Author: upgrade
That sounds yummy!!

We are having oven roasted chicken with rosemary , steamed asparagus with fresh squeezed lemon juice. My husband is on a diet, so no salt, no sauces... I am learning to cook all over again..

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
I was craving Chipotle like no other after the Chipotle thread, but soup sounds good too! I suppose it might do good to stay home and avoid the tacos. Wild mushroom pasta with chicken chipotle soup it is.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The usual--rice and beans.
I make it at least three times a week nowadays. DH loves it, and so do I.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Leftover homemade beef/vegetable soup and cornbread. Yummy!
9.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
honestly?
we''ll probably have mac and cheese
we sacrifice our noms to pay off our cc
14.gif

maybe ill add paprika to it tonight to spice it up lol

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 6:15:43 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
April, that recipe sounds really good!
It''s so easy too! I got into the fridge and realized the cream cheese I had amounted to about 2 tsps so I added that and then a couple squirts of mayo and about 1/2 c of mozzerella cheese. It''s a VERY forgiving recipe. It''s on the stove now simmering in the gravy. I always let it finish cooking off in the gravy so the meat doesn''t get too dry or overdone. The potatoes and garlic are in the oven too and smell wonderful. Now if only DH would get home!!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 7:02:17 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
honestly?
we''ll probably have mac and cheese
we sacrifice our noms to pay off our cc
14.gif

maybe ill add paprika to it tonight to spice it up lol
Do you make it from scratch?

I make mine with a couple of boxes of frozen squash (the pureed kind). It''s got milk and a total of 2 cups of cheese (three kinds). It''s super easy, pretty darn cheap to make and is healthy to boot! It''s a nice twist on your regular ole mac ''n chese.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 6:50:15 PM
Author: Haven
The usual--rice and beans.

I make it at least three times a week nowadays. DH loves it, and so do I.

Haven - How do you make your rice and beans? Do you use black beans? I''d love to hear how you make it as I''ve not had much success cooking beans, particularly from dry beans, although I did just make some hummus from whole chickpeas, and it is very good!

Tonight is a huge Greek salad. We used to have this 3 or 4 times per week with various sides, but now it''s maybe once per week.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Steak, roasted potatoes with parmesan, asparagus, and fruit! I went home for family dinner, my parents are really good cooks
3.gif
18.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, LV!

I used to use dry beans until I made the Cook's Illustrated (AKA The Bible of cooking, IMO) black bean soup recipe. You know how CI does all the testing of various methods and ingredients? Well, they found that the canned black beans taste just as good as the dry. SO, I use Goya canned black beans, now.

Anyway . . .

- Make 1 cup of rice. While that's cooking:
- Put a bit of oil in a pan, add a bunch of chopped garlic and a couple diced jalapenos. Cook on medium-high until fragrant. (a couple minutes)
- Then, add your spices and a rinsed can of black beans. I use chili powder only, really, but I know a lot of people like cumin in their rice and beans, too. Mix well and cook for a couple minutes.
- Drain a can of diced tomatoes, and reserve the juice from the can. Add enough water to the tomato juice to make 1 cup, then add that in to the bean mix. Cook at a simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the rice to the bean mix when the rice is cooked. Mix well.
- Add in the can of diced tomatoes a couple minutes before serving. Cook long enough to heat.
- Chop a bunch of cilantro, and add that in right before you serve.

That's it! Super easy. I like to use San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes because I think they taste the best. If you can find them, buy those and dice them yourself.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 5:19:22 PM
Author: upgrade
Yum, that sounds amazing! I absolutely love pesto, my mom has a great pesto recipe but it''s never the same when I make it.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Leftover lasagna (I made it last night, takes too long to do on weekdays!) and spinach salad.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Haven! I will give it a try this week. It will be so much quicker with the canned beans. Thanks for sharing!
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 6:31:56 PM
Author: onvacation
I was craving Chipotle like no other after the Chipotle thread, but soup sounds good too! I suppose it might do good to stay home and avoid the tacos. Wild mushroom pasta with chicken chipotle soup it is.

Oh that Chipotle thread! ::shakes fist:: Thanks to it, we went and had Chipotle yesterday too
3.gif

Tonight...ordering out. Thai food - spicy yellow curry, rice, and a LOT of Thai iced coffee!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We just had "homemade" chicken pot pie. I made some comment about pot pie which landed us at the grocery store, and DH didn''t realize that they don''t make it "family style" in the frozen section...so I made one (semi homemade) for the first time, completely guessing on how to do it...and it turned out perfectly!! This is definitely a dish that will stay in the rotation.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I was going to roast a chicken with potatoes in the pan with it and enjoy that, but i got home and did not want to attempt touching a chicken alone! So I made myself an egg sandwich with turkey and cheddar.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results