shape
carat
color
clarity

Wear Makeup If You Want To Get The Job...

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE make up. I get goosebumps when I walk into sephora. Luckily for me I have really good skin so I don't need foundation or any of that. But a smoky eye? Hells yes, the darker the better. And nude lip plumber and bronzer! I don't give flying turd what others think of my makeup. I'm a total milf. :lol:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the two responses above, right next to each other!

"I rarely wear makeup"

"I LOVE makeup!"

:lol:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1384817711|3558796 said:
I LOVE make up. I get goosebumps when I walk into sephora. Luckily for me I have really good skin so I don't need foundation or any of that. But a smoky eye? Hells yes, the darker the better. And nude lip plumber and bronzer! I don't give flying turd what others think of my makeup. I'm a total milf. :lol:

Hahahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I ever meet you at a GTG, Soxfan, I'll try to refrain from pouncing on you! :naughty:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1384818265|3558801 said:

"I rarely wear makeup"

"I LOVE makeup!"

Ha! I can say the same of myself as regards jewelry. "I rarely wear jewelry" but "I LOVE jewelry!" Doesn't make much sense to anyone else I imagine! But it's True!

I wish society didn't have such different standards for women & men. Especially regarding AGING. I'm a bit horrified by my greying temples right now ... and even more horrified by the time & expense to erase that highly visible sign of I'Z OLD!

Makeup .. eh ... when I'm working at a corporate job or public facing - I'll wear enough to feel polished. If I'm editing or facing peers only -- might just under-eye conceal & lip balm it.

People who wear a LOT of makeup stand out to me more than people who don't wear any. (In a bad way.)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ah, wear it if you feel better with it, otherwise don't. Boring to blame "society" for stuff -- who is "society?" Your neighbor? Your boss? The cop on the corner? None of them care. If it's "society" you fear, you're believing tv ads.

Smith -- you look great both ways! I like your made-up self a lot, though -- it accentuates your eyes, makes them more blue, and your lovely smile. I'd never in a zillion years guess you're over 25.

That's what makeup is for -- to emphasize good points, make bad ones less obvious. To make you feel prettier -- if it doesn't do that, it's not for you. So what? Those bosses weren't asked who they actually hired -- makeup or not. And who turned out to be "more competent." There's a survey to prove any point somebody wants to make.

--- Laurie

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love make-up because it's fun, I hardly wear it because I don't even want to wake up 10 minutes earlier than I have to. I tend to wear it more on the weekends or I'll make some effort during the week if I know photos will be taken. Tomorrow we have Parent/Teacher conferences and I'll wear some so the parents don't think I'm a schlub. Not too much though or they'll think your a tramp. Groom the brows, a little powder, a little blush, mascara and gloss. Done. The Lorac cat eye liner comes out on Saturday!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"I rarely wear makeup"

"I LOVE makeup!"

Don't get my wrong I love it too! Sephora is like an adult Disneyland! I love going to the one in NYC when it's all Christmas theme decorated with the sparkly snow ornaments. I am very lazy though, and just don't devote the time to it.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1384818327|3558803 said:
soxfan|1384817711|3558796 said:

Hahahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I ever meet you at a GTG, Soxfan, I'll try to refrain from pouncing on you! :naughty:

LOL! tomorrow is my hair salon day! cut, color and makeup! I'll post pics! :lol: It will be the ONE time my hair looks good!
:lol: :lol:

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Emproctor2986|1384824153|3558873 said:

"I rarely wear makeup"

"I LOVE makeup!"

Don't get my wrong I love it too! Sephora is like an adult Disneyland! I love going to the one in NYC when it's all Christmas theme decorated with the sparkly snow ornaments. I am very lazy though, and just don't devote the time to it.

makeup is my weakness - honestly if i added the cost of the makeup I currently own I could have purchased myself that Tiffany Sparklers ring I've been lusting after and I'd still have money left over...

I own no less than 150 eye shadow color! Probably 15 different blushes and countless lipstick/gloss/stains (YSL Glossy Stains are my new favorite!)

I could talk about makeup for hours and have on numerous occasions been offered jobs at Sephora!

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Does this make any sense: I like the way I look with some makeup on but I begrudge the time it takes to do it! And it really doesn't take much time to make a difference. I found a Philosophy powder dispenser that dabs sun-screen mineral powder on in a hurry to cover up my red blotches; a pale brown eyebrow pencil; a teal blue eyeliner pencil; and a sure-fire red lipstick that everyone says looks great on me. But it still seems like so much trouble when I am in a hurry. Also, I get eye irritations associated with rosacea and often have to skip the liner for a few days.
Oddly, the people in my life who have urged me to wear makeup were all women: my mother, who barely wore lipstick herself but urged to me to follow suit, beginning in 7th grade, and various really close friends who want me to look my best. One of them gets really upset when she sees me with my roots showing or my eyebrows not done. She once came over to dye my hair for a class reunion. "Your friends won't mind if your roots show," she said, "but think of your enemies!"
We grew up in the deep south, and my school principal warned my mother not to send me to a certain northern college. "Those girls don't even wear makeup!" he said. I went anyway......

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
My manager actually printed out my job requirements and one of them includes "wear light makeup to accentuate your features". My friend works as an entertainer at another facility and they actually require MAC makeup specifically. Crazy huh?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I rarely wear make up, but I do wear a little to interviews. I think I'd like to start wearing tinted moisturizer though--seems like an easy way to incorporate a little coverage. I have one form Laura Mercier that is good, but I almost always just use regular moisturizer because my hands are 'clean' afterwards and I don't have to use a brush (the tinted one leaves my hands tinted too, so I usually use it with a brush).

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
lovebug1031|1384833270|3558941 said:

"I rarely wear makeup"

"I LOVE makeup!"

makeup is my weakness - honestly if i added the cost of the makeup I currently own I could have purchased myself that Tiffany Sparklers ring I've been lusting after and I'd still have money left over...

I own no less than 150 eye shadow color! Probably 15 different blushes and countless lipstick/gloss/stains (YSL Glossy Stains are my new favorite!)

I could talk about makeup for hours and have on numerous occasions been offered jobs at Sephora!

But mate, you've only got two eyes! Baahahahahaha! :lol:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put me in the "I love makeup" category. I always have. It's like playing with paints. And now that I'm 50, I can't get away with going without. My skin is still pretty good...for my age, but there is nothing like foundation for evening out skintone. Nothing. Or some eye makeup for making me look less tired. Or eyebrow powder for disguising the fact that my brows are thinning - and nothing looks quite as weird as a person without eyebrows. I don't see it as trying to be sexually alluring or look "breeder age", I simply see it as trying to look well-groomed.

This is what makeup can do. If you don't want to watch the whole video, see if you can slide to near the end, where it will show a side-by-side before and after.

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25644/glowing-youthful-make-up-look-for-mature-skin/

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1384813615|3558729 said:
Here is a picture of me without a scrap of makeup, and a picture of me with full makeup. The full makeup picture is from today, and the no-makeup one was taken Feb 2012.

In today's pic, I'm wearing a full-coverage Mac powder foundation, concealer (for those wonderful dark shadows and sunspots of mine), blusher, eyebrow pencil, eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara. This is what I wear almost every day, even when home alone.

And then, the other pic is me in all my barefaced horr - sorry, glory.

I think I look better with makeup, much better, which is why I wear it. But however much I love makeup, and however much I feel better with it on, I'm also not afraid to face the world make-up free. As you can see.

Makeup is sometimes demonised, but I've posted these pics to show what a difference it can make to a woman such as myself. I read so many comments in the articles, and some here and the other thread, about how lots of women never or rarely or not often wear makeup, and it makes me feel as if it's something bad. But as you can see, it makes quite a difference to me, at least. You don't have to look like a clown in full makeup, which is what I'm wearing. Well, at least I don't think my makeup makes me look like a clown!! :errrr:
YOU ARE ALMOST 40?! Holy crap! What's your secret?

Gorgeous eyes, btw.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike that there seem to be different standards of well groomed for men and women. It chaffs me that women without makeup are considered not well groomed. Why is that so? Why is it unacceptable for women to show their wrinkles, old scars or sun spots, thinning brows, etc? Why is it acceptable for men to show their natural skin? I am sure men in the corporate world who wear makeup will be given a sideways glance the same way women in the corporate world who doesn't wear makeup is looked at.

As we are all adults, men and women have the freedom to wear or not wear makeup as they please for whatever reason they choose and not be judged for it.

I do not wear makeup except for special occasions such as a wedding or a huge dinner function. I go au natural with only lotion and suncreen. If my lips are chapped, a bit of chapstick does the trick. My makeup for functions are also very sparing (a dab of powder foundation, liner and gloss). Fortunately, I work in a technical field so my not wearing makeup isn't expected although I've seen a few ladies choose to do so. DH also prefers bare facial skin.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1384875973|3559182 said:
I dislike that there seem to be different standards of well groomed for men and women. It chaffs me that women without makeup are considered not well groomed. Why is that so? Why is it unacceptable for women to show their wrinkles, old scars or sun spots, thinning brows, etc? Why is it acceptable for men to show their natural skin? I am sure men in the corporate world who wear makeup will be given a sideways glance the same way women in the corporate world who doesn't wear makeup is looked at.

As we are all adults, men and women have the freedom to wear or not wear makeup as they please for whatever reason they choose and not be judged for it.

I do not wear makeup except for special occasions such as a wedding or a huge dinner function. I go au natural with only lotion and suncreen. If my lips are chapped, a bit of chapstick does the trick. My makeup for functions are also very sparing (a dab of powder foundation, liner and gloss). Fortunately, I work in a technical field so my not wearing makeup isn't expected although I've seen a few ladies choose to do so. DH also prefers bare facial skin.

Chrono - In response to your first sentence, I think this is both yes and no happening. Men are expected to be groomed, look at the interest sparked behind the Duck Dynasty beards. Most men are expected to at least trim their facial hair to be lineal an even. They are expected to wash, have well groomed hair (either gelled, or slicked back or not there) and to dress nicely.

Most employers view the makeup thing as grooming yes, though we may not agree with it. I generally wear light makeup to interviews and work because it does give a more professional and put together look for the day.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
sonnyjane|1384838598|3558978 said:
My manager actually printed out my job requirements and one of them includes "wear light makeup to accentuate your features". My friend works as an entertainer at another facility and they actually require MAC makeup specifically. Crazy huh?

that's odd - especially considering there are other brands better than MAC of some things....!

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Smith1942|1384840953|3559001 said:
lovebug1031|1384833270|3558941 said:

"I rarely wear makeup"

"I LOVE makeup!"

But mate, you've only got two eyes! Baahahahahaha! :lol:

haha yes...but much like with jewelry the possibilities are endless!!! I tend to wear at least 3 colors at a time.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dragonfly,
Can you elaborate on your response? I think the standard for hair (and facial hair) is the same for both genders. Both men and women are expected to wash up and have well groomed hair. What is a "duck dynasty beard"? I imagined Donald Duck sporting a floor length beard. :lol: I think employers veiw makeup for women (not men) as grooming due to the double standard expectations of society.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1384878543|3559221 said:
Dragonfly,
Can you elaborate on your response? I think the standard for hair (and facial hair) is the same for both genders. Both men and women are expected to wash up and have well groomed hair. What is a "duck dynasty beard"? I imagined Donald Duck sporting a floor length beard. :lol: I think employers veiw makeup for women (not men) as grooming due to the double standard expectations of society.

i see it as facial hair on men is their make-up - to me nothing looks more unkempt/lazy or whatever you want to call it than a man with an untrimmed "non-linear" beard!

I feel there is a social expectation for women to look put together - and that includes make-up. Generalizing here, but I don't think many people tend to notice men's skin as much as they do womens - so having the look of an even skin tone, nice flushed cheeks, fuller brows, and lashes evokes thoughts of health or fertility. Just my .02 I guess!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I view facial hair the same way as the hair on one's head. There's the bald style (no facial hair), short style (various short "cuts") and long style (various longer "cuts"). I've seen many men in the entertainment industry wear makeup, which to me, is a different thing than facial hair grooming.

Lovebug,
That is exactly what I mean - the sexualization of women is expected by society. Why are women expected to have an even skin tone, flushed cheeks, fuller brows, and etc to show health and fertility but not men?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I work in a field where women wearing make-up is the exception rather than the rule. I still choose to wear lipstick and a little eye-makeup most of the time ... liner and mascara, basically. Beyond that, thank you, no: five minutes a day I can spare, more than that, not so much. The kind of things I like - bright red or plum-purple lip colors that stay on all day, greenie-gold NARS eyeliner, that mascara that doesn't come off without industrial-strength remover - are both low-maintenance and, well, fun. I'm with KSinger ... makeup is just another way I indulge my love of visual extras!

That said, I also think men look better when they do the same, and the fact that they're not expected to do so (much less required to by employers!) just emphasizes the fact that feminism or no feminism, women are still the sex class. Sure, a lot of us - maybe even most? - wear makeup because we like it, not out of concern for the boners. But the fact is, makeup is seen as a plus in the same way that women being criticized for not being sexy/appealing in a professional context is a cultural minus. Janet Reno, Anne Coulter, Madeline Albright - you name the faction, I'll give you an example of a lady politician who's made the news for wearing an unflattering get-up. Care to give me male corollaries?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1384879558|3559230 said:
That said, I also think men look better when they do the same, and the fact that they're not expected to do so (much less required to by employers!) just emphasizes the fact that feminism or no feminism, women are still the sex class. Sure, a lot of us - maybe even most? - wear makeup because we like it, not out of concern for the boners. But the fact is, makeup is seen as a plus in the same way that women being criticized for not being sexy/appealing in a professional context is a cultural minus. Janet Reno, Anne Coulter, Madeline Albright - you name the faction, I'll give you an example of a lady politician who's made the news for wearing an unflattering get-up. Care to give me male corollaries?

Circe,
That is so true. I have no issues with men and women who enjoy wearing makeup for whatever reasons they have. I am bothered by the idea (or is it a fact?) that women are still the sex class in such modern times.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I agree with all the above, but society also has their expectations of men, hence the phrase "real man." Isn't that a veiled way of saying that a man has to be masculine? Men who are thin without much muscle are called "puny" by some. But why should he spend time in the gym bulking up his muscles just because society thinks a man should have muscles?

Another area of discrimination against men in terms of appearance is the issue of height. Men who are noticeably shorter than average report that they find it more difficult to get dates and more difficult to get married. I think there have been studies done on this that I remember reading about.

In addition, what about baldness? Men are made fun of a lot for being bald. Called "egghead", among other things.

I don't, in any way whatsoever, think that these standards for men are anything like as entrenched in society as the standards are for women. It's there, though, for the men. Hence that song, "Macho macho man" and that other old one "So, macho, he's gotta be, so macho, big and strong, enough to turn me on and on an on.." etc. Society thinks a "real man" is tall, muscular, and can support a family with ease. Like that joke, "What's the difference between a musician and a pizza? Answer: A pizza can feed a family of four."

In these songs and jokes, you can see that there are also silly, unrealistic storybook expectations of men, too. If the woman is meant to be this slim, beautiful princess figure, equally the man is expected to be strong and brave enough to rescue her and carry her away, you know?

It's all absurd.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, I quite agree - but the difference is that a lot of what's rewarded in men is outside of their control. Women, on the other hand, are "strongly encouraged" to work, work, work at fulfilling gendered expectations. It's almost like they're trying to distract us from something ....

P.S. - Smith, I honestly had to spend five minutes staring back and forth between the two pics you posted to tell the difference (reading on a phone switches the photo order, for some reason). You look lovely in both, and your make-up is very subtle: I think the delicate hand of Mother Nature deserves fully as much or more credit than the cosmetics industry!

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1384879414|3559228 said:
Oh, I view facial hair the same way as the hair on one's head. There's the bald style (no facial hair), short style (various short "cuts") and long style (various longer "cuts"). I've seen many men in the entertainment industry wear makeup, which to me, is a different thing than facial hair grooming.

Lovebug,
That is exactly what I mean - the sexualization of women is expected by society. Why are women expected to have an even skin tone, flushed cheeks, fuller brows, and etc to show health and fertility but not men?

Because women bear children, men do not - men, whether bread by society or it being innate, gravitate towards women that look healthy and fertile so they can bear their young. Some woman look like this naturally, some women don't

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovebug1031|1384881719|3559261 said:
Because women bear children, men do not - men, whether bread by society or it being innate, gravitate towards women that look healthy and fertile so they can bear their young. Some woman look like this naturally, some women don't

Lovebug,
The question was rhetorical since the answer has been ingrained into us since young. :tongue: That should have no bearing in the workplace though. We are at work to work, not flaunt our fertility or attract males.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1384882178|3559266 said:
lovebug1031|1384881719|3559261 said:

Lovebug,
The question was rhetorical since the answer has been ingrained into us since young. :tongue: That should have no bearing in the workplace though. We are at work to work, not flaunt our fertility or attract males.

oops! :oops: but you're right it should have no bearing - i think it should ALWAYS be a choice, it should never be a requirement for a woman to wear makeup, that's absurd to me! I'm the odd one out in my family; I am the only girl that consistently always wears makeup - I think it's odd when women don't want to wear makeup or learn to do it! I've always seen it as the push up bra for your face! haha

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
That's sweet of you to say, Circe, but really, I think it's the cosmetics! The makeup-free one was taken 21 months ago. Here's a scary one from first thing this morning, and a made-up one from yesterday. Perhaps this pair demonstrates the difference better. I have a lot to thank my makeup bag for. Bahahaaaaaaa! :lol: ETA: I should also make clear that my hair is totally dyed - am naturally mid-brown.

Seriously, I don't mind having a good laugh at myself, and as regards that silly phrase "real men" I think the world should see more pictures of what a "real woman" looks like behind the makeup bag. Since many women do wear makeup, maybe some women go around thinking that they look worse than other women and feeling insecure, because we know what we look like without makeup, but we don't know what other women look like without it! If I were a magazine editor I'd do a massive spread on this. Or, I'd have an entire issue with absolutely no one in it wearing a scrap of makeup.

About men and women working to achieve societal expectations, I think there's great pressure on a man to be financially successful at work, and that is one area where men have to work hard for it if they want to succeed - as women do. Financial success doesn't just arrive, of course. But see the jokes made about stay-at-home dads? I'm not sure they're entirely accepted in society, not the way that stay-at-home mums are. So having to slave away to be successful - if we're going to jump up to those societal expectations - is one way in which men have to work hard to fulfil those ideals.

I'm not saying that men have it as bad as women with the ideals, just that they don't get off completely scot-free. Having said all that, it's still ridiculous the way women are expected to try to hold back time, whereas people often talk about how much better men get with age.

_12055.jpg

gedc2827.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results