shape
carat
color
clarity

Random rediculousness

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m annoyed by the term "The Bay." Seriously, it''s shorter to write ebay than it is to write out the bay. I also dislike it when people say Tar-jey instead of just Target.

This thread is meant to be about annoying off the wall sayings/abbreviations versus grammatical annoyances.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never heard eBay being referred to as ''The Bay''... funny, because there''s a huge dept store chain in Canada called The Bay.

I''m a Tar-jey offender... I confess!

The abbreviation that picks me is ''prolly'' instead of probably.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t like Tar-jey either.

My sister''s friends say "What a ridic sitch" as in "what a ridiculous situation." Ugh.
20.gif

I hate it when people say "What''s the poop?" instead of "what''s the scoop?" I know someone who says "What''s the poop and scoop?" Gross.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the bay gets on my nerves, too. One more second for one more letter is just TOO HARD lol.

Ooohh, prolly bugs me, too.

And when someone is sending me texts, I hate "k". It just seems rude.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 1:17:40 PM
Author: upgrade
I''ve never heard eBay being referred to as ''The Bay''... funny, because there''s a huge dept store chain in Canada called The Bay.

I''m a Tar-jey offender... I confess!

The abbreviation that picks me is ''prolly'' instead of probably.
+1. That''s ridiculous. eBay is short enough.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 1:20:38 PM
Author: Haven

My sister''s friends say ''What a ridic sitch'' as in ''what a ridiculous situation.'' Ugh.
20.gif

I hate it when people say ''What''s the poop?'' instead of ''what''s the scoop?'' I know someone who says ''What''s the poop and scoop?'' Gross.

Ewww. I''ve never heard that before - I think if someone said that to me, I''d just burst out laughing
3.gif

I don''t like Tar-jey, and I haven''t heard "The Bay" before but I agree with all of you guys - isn''t eBay short enough??

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 1:20:38 PM
Author: Haven

My sister''s friends say ''What a ridic sitch'' as in ''what a ridiculous situation.'' Ugh.
20.gif

I hate it when people say ''What''s the poop?'' instead of ''what''s the scoop?'' I know someone who says ''What''s the poop and scoop?'' Gross.
grins.gif

I think I am having an immature moment, but this made me crack up!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 1:15:07 PM
Author:Hudson_Hawk
I''m annoyed by the term ''The Bay.'' Seriously, it''s shorter to write ebay than it is to write out the bay.
That''s so weird because eBay is based out of San Jose, CA. where we refer to the whole geographical area of San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland as "the Bay Area". So it''d be very confusing to use "the bay" to mean eBay. But I guess in other locations it might sound cute. But why?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand The Bay Area as a geographical location, that makes total sense, but the cutsey shortening of ebay to "the bay" is just pointless.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad I tuned in early to this thread. Sometimes if I tune in late-after a thread like this has run for pages-I feel lost. At least now I can say early on that I had never before heard of anyone calling eBay, "the Bay". How common is that in your circles, gals? I have heard at least one person say, "tar-jay" but I thought that it was because she thought the store was French back when everyone hated the French for failing to invade Iraq and were eating "freedom fries" instead of "French fries". I didn't know it was an ongoing phenomenon. As to, "the poop"...I believe that that term has been used colloquially to mean, "the news" for many decades. :)

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2010 2:49:06 PM
Author: AGBF

As to, 'the poop'...I believe that that term has been used colloquially to mean, 'the news' for many decades. :)

Definition
poop noun (INFORMATION)

the poop US old-fashioned slang information
Did you get the poop on all the candidates?

(Definition of poop noun (INFORMATION) from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of cringe when I see "lol" in place of "ha ha."

"This thread is making me cringe, lol."

A random aside: not long ago, a co-worker asked me what LOL stood for. It made me ROFLMAO. Ok, not literally, but I was definitely L''ing OL.
9.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I hate when people speak in text speak. My youngest sister says "ILY" (pronounces it as if it were a word rhyming with "billy") instead of "I love you." Really? Because I''m thinking if you really meant the sentiment, you''d articulate it correctly. I DESERVE that extra syllable!!! I really shouldn''t start listing off the wall sayings that I hear all the time, though...I live in Georgia, and we Southerners are creative with our wacky expressions! I HAVE to mention this one, however--"I don''t give a rat''s @$$." Thank you, kind citizen! I wasn''t really in the market for rat @$$ today anyway!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
One of my co-workers always says "oh em gee" out loud. THAT gets old real fast.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
It bothers me when people say "ru-roh" like Scooby Doo.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 3:16:15 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
One of my co-workers always says ''oh em gee'' out loud. THAT gets old real fast.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Awesome.

I hate when people pronounce abbreviations and (some) acronyms as words. FUBAR/SNAFU/ASAP, okay, fine. They''ve become words. "ILY" - not a word. I work in a company that has a lot of acronyms, and there''s one person that says them all as words. Some of them sound as ridiculous as if you turned "IBM" or "OMG" into a word ("ih-bum"? "ahm-ug"?). Say. Each. Letter.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 1:21:41 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Yes, the bay gets on my nerves, too. One more second for one more letter is just TOO HARD lol.

Ooohh, prolly bugs me, too.

And when someone is sending me texts, I hate ''k''. It just seems rude.
That totally irritates me. I can''t figure out why people would shorten it to that to begin with!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 3:33:34 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
It bothers me when people say ''ru-roh'' like Scooby Doo.
I personally don''t do it but I think it''s kind of cute when others do!

DH always says things are ridic I hate it
29.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I hate when people say words like chandy for chandelier and gorge for gorgeous.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"Çäåñü ìîíåòêà èäåò çâîíîê êòî-òî êîòîðîå çàáîòèò."
OK, PinkAsscher, put me out of my misery. I am not saying that I couldn't find out what your quotation means on my own, but it is easier to ask you. I have gotten into a situation like the one in the story. You know the story about the translation of, "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" into, "The vodka is good, but the meat is spoiled"? That is me trying to translate your quotation using a mechanical on-line translator! It told me something quite bizarre. I am sure that no one in any language ever quoted what the mechanical translator came up with! So I give up. What does it mean? I know it is famous, because Google took me to many websites in Russian that featured it...but I couldn't read them. That makes me crazy!!!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Imma instead of I''m going to.

I used to think LOL stood for Lots Of Love!
9.gif
This was about 10 years ago when I just started using AIM. Then, I realized it didn''t add up and my friend kept saying it, so...yeaahhhh...

I hate all the texting language that kids use, and even adults. It shocks me when it''s used when there is NO character limit! Why R U speaking like tht. REALLY?! It takes longer for me to read it than to write it properly. L8r. thx. *shudder*
38.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2010 3:51:22 PM

'Çäåñü ìîíåòêà èäåò çâîíîê êòî-òî êîòîðîå çàáîòèò.'
OK, PinkAsscher, put me out of my misery. I am not saying that I couldn't find out what your quotation means on my own, but it is easier to ask you. I have gotten into a situation like the one in the story. You know the story about the translation of, 'The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak' into, 'The vodka is good, but the meat is spoiled'? That is me trying to translate your quotation using a mechanical on-line translator! It told me something quite bizarre. I am sure that no one in any language ever quoted what the mechanical translator came up with! So I give up. What does it mean? I know it is famous, because Google took me to many websites in Russian that featured it...but I couldn't read them. That makes me crazy!!!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif
Google translates it roughly to "here's money to call someone who cares." I just copied and pasted it into a search with the word "translate." I will refrain from speculation as to why someone would use a statement like that as their signature line on PS.
2.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock

'Çäåñü ìîíåòêà èäåò çâîíîê êòî-òî êîòîðîå çàáîòèò.'

OK, PinkAsscher, put me out of my misery. I am not saying that I couldn't find out what your quotation means on my own, but it is easier to ask you. I have gotten into a situation like the one in the story. You know the story about the translation of, 'The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak' into, 'The vodka is good, but the meat is spoiled'? That is me trying to translate your quotation using a mechanical on-line translator! It told me something quite bizarre. I am sure that no one in any language ever quoted what the mechanical translator came up with! So I give up. What does it mean? I know it is famous, because Google took me to many websites in Russian that featured it...but I couldn't read them. That makes me crazy!!!

Deb/AGBF

34.gif

Your guesses are almost as close as mine were! I posted this as a kind of inside joke to myself. I am currently taking a course in Russian and was supposed to be saying "Where is the nearest telephone I need to call a friend" but instead ended up writing something totally different. My brother (who is fluent) almost died laughing when he read it

9.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been a prolly-er at times, I confess. I don''t say prolly tho, I say pry at times-I think it''s a midwestern thing, like idnit. I also do K. I say it too. My coworkers are big into saying IDK at the moment. I''m only there 1 day a week so it''s not an issue for me. Never heard of ebay as The Bay, but people here do sometimes say Tarjay or however it''s spelled. That drives me bonkers. It''s a discount store, it''s not on Rodeo Drive, so why the fancy name? So they sound cooler for shopping there I guess?

Ha, like Joe Dirt saying his name is Joe Diertay!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I will admit, this sentence cracks me up every time:

IDK my BFF, Jill?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 3:56:19 PM
Author: monarch64

''Çäåñü ìîíåòêà èäåò çâîíîê êòî-òî êîòîðîå çàáîòèò.''

OK, PinkAsscher, put me out of my misery. I am not saying that I couldn''t find out what your quotation means on my own, but it is easier to ask you. I have gotten into a situation like the one in the story. You know the story about the translation of, ''The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak'' into, ''The vodka is good, but the meat is spoiled''? That is me trying to translate your quotation using a mechanical on-line translator! It told me something quite bizarre. I am sure that no one in any language ever quoted what the mechanical translator came up with! So I give up. What does it mean? I know it is famous, because Google took me to many websites in Russian that featured it...but I couldn''t read them. That makes me crazy!!!

Deb/AGBF

34.gif
Google translates it roughly to ''here''s money to call someone who cares.'' I just copied and pasted it into a search with the word ''translate.'' I will refrain from speculation as to why someone would use a statement like that as their signature line on PS.
2.gif

It really and truly is not directed to anyone or has anything to do with PS. Just something I found funny in translation. It''s also my email signature, it''s just sort of a private joke.
1.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 4:05:11 PM
Author: princesss

IDK my BFF, Jill?

Is that from an old commercial??? It sounds so familiar!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 4:05:11 PM
Author: princesss

IDK my BFF, Jill?
Bahah!

J and I say that to one another all of the time!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Purposely spelling words wrong just to be cute or creative, etc. It drives me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results