shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Not sure of Canera reset. What would you do and why?

Reset with Victor Canera or studs?

• Reset to dream cushion Emilya, and make small studs, 30 points each in April. Would have to put off

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Reset to pave four prong solitaire with double eagle claws. Somehow I can envision my stone in that

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Keep current setting and get matching 1.1 carat diamond to have 2.1ish ctw studs, late in the year.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Keep current setting and get new set of studs, around 1.8 ctw, late in the year. Then I would still

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Poll: Not sure of Canera reset. What would you do and w

Somehow I really like the .73ct stud on you. You are lucky to have small earlobes! :))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1394797165|3633923 said:
For some reason, I can't vote in the poll because it keeps knocking me off.

Your hesitation about the reset makes my vote to get the larger stud earrings later on this year. Keep your current ering and leave your original stone in the pendant. I would have said get the ering straightened out first but your hesitation makes me afraid you won't like the halo; especially because you're already considering what your next reset might be. Too much money to keep getting settings. With a stone of your size, a halo would be very large. I think that would not be a problem for you as you like bling but if you think that you could grow to love your current ring, I'm not going to vote to change it at this point.

Getting smaller studs isn't going to satisfy you either so I wouldn't tie up your original stone with them. Get the size that you think you want to end up with from the get go. I think you'll be happier with them and feel like you really got something new and super sparkly!

The Emilya is beautiful - no doubt about it. There is just a real difference between a haloed ering and a diamond set in shiny metal. If you wanted to enhance the visual size of your ring, that might be the way to go. Somehow though I don't get the impression that you're trying to increase the size or finger coverage and because you have slim fingers, you don't want to overdo it. I almost feel that you're not completely happy with the execution of your current ring but that you do like the five stone design. Maybe it needs some gentle tweaking to make it look more like the ring you wanted to begin with?

Hi MGR, I keep coming back to your advice about getting what I want to end up at to begin with. I do want to end up with 1 carat studs. Although I do know it will take my eyes a whole to get used to the size. Honestly I don't know why but I don't love a diamond pendant as much as studs. I keep visualizing a Cartier necklace on (the double love rings) with studs. My diamond pendant sits at home more than I wear it. It bugs me to death that a one carat diamond is sitting at home unused, ykwim? So as far as pricing, the cost of getting a 1 carat is about the same as getting a 1.6 ctw. So I am leaning toward the matching from a practicality standpoint. More bling early on at about the same price. But still need to play the waiting game.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Harpertoo|1394823431|3634217 said:
tyty333|1394810396|3634041 said:
I think you need a "None of the above" options. I think before you do anything you need to sit back and figure out what you want.
I think Gypsy mentioned visiting another jeweler. Probably a good idea to get out and about and try some things on. Good luck!

I think the above is excellent advice/choice.
I'd take a little more time to consider what you want.
on the re-set, I'd just examine when and how you want to wear the ring. I was all ready to send off a MRB last year to put in a cushion shaped halo and I realized I was trying to make the stone something it was not. I realize this is not your scenario, but taking more time might avoid a costly re-set that won't satisfy you.
On the studs I have no advice, but as I considered resetting an old pair I have, I realized I have 5 pairs in different sizes and it's ridiculous. 2ctw is too big for me, but 1ctw seems a little small, so I'm going to try the goldlocks' approach someday soon. I think the process of upgrading on studs might be a nice one. you get to experience the sizes and not feel guilty with any costly mistakes.

Harper, another person in SMTB also reset a round into a cushion halo, and it does change the look of the stone. I am trying to make the round into something it's not. That's not necessarily a bad thing if that is what you want. However I do really appreciate the "roundness" of a MRB. DUH!!! I think I need to stop drinking the Canera cool aid for a while and just enjoy my ring for a while. Lol!! And be ok with liking my setting. Another person asked me if that was a bad thing. Lol!! It shouldn't be! :)

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I prefer the look of the .73s too

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also most like the idea of taking some more time to figure out what would make you happiest!

There is a thread in SMTR right now called "Show me your biggest jewellery purchase regret". I did not participate but it was interesting to read. Most of the replies cite pre-PS purchases, but me... my biggest regret is my first five-stone re-set a couple of years ago, well into my tenure here on PS. I had stars in my eyes, four-fifths of a vision, and money in my pocket. I chose a jeweller who did not share my vision and who was uninterested in communicating further to iron it out. The project was doomed from the start. The thing is... I knew better. Other PS longtimers - Gypsy and Charmy, to name two - told me as much outright. I went ahead anyway, and it was an incredibly expensive mistake.

It's so very easy to fall into the trap of wanting everything you see on here!! But sometimes the want is fleeting, and sometimes it initially manifests in a variety of confusing, muddled ways, and it takes some time for the jumble to settle into a single clear proposal...

Of your current ideas I personally like the thought of matching your 1.1 - studs are classic and ~2ctw is IMO a comfortable "forever" size. Actually, if your 1.1 is not well-cut, I would first look into having it recut, and then find the result a mate.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ringcat|1394928719|3634831 said:
I prefer the look of the .73s too

Thanks ringcat. I do like it. It's proportional to my earlobe.

I just have a feeling that in six months, I will prefer to have more bling than less. ;-)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1394929154|3634834 said:
I also most like the idea of taking some more time to figure out what would make you happiest!

There is a thread in SMTR right now called "Show me your biggest jewellery purchase regret". I did not participate but it was interesting to read. Most of the replies cite pre-PS purchases, but me... my biggest regret is my first five-stone re-set a couple of years ago, well into my tenure here on PS. I had stars in my eyes, four-fifths of a vision, and money in my pocket. I chose a jeweller who did not share my vision and who was uninterested in communicating further to iron it out. The project was doomed from the start. The thing is... I knew better. Other PS longtimers - Gypsy and Charmy, to name two - told me as much outright. I went ahead anyway, and it was an incredibly expensive mistake.

It's so very easy to fall into the trap of wanting everything you see on here!! But sometimes the want is fleeting, and sometimes it initially manifests in a variety of confusing, muddled ways, and it takes some time for the jumble to settle into a single clear proposal...

Of your current ideas I personally like the thought of matching your 1.1 - studs are classic and ~2ctw is IMO a comfortable "forever" size. Actually, if your 1.1 is not well-cut, I would first look into having it recut, and then find the result a mate.

Hi Yssie, I can't tell you how much I appreciate how real you are being. "I had stars in my eyes, four-fifths of a vision, and money in my pocket." Yeah, I think that describes me too. :roll: People are being honest here. Thank goodness.

I had spoken with Victor's assistant, and she told me they could pick up my stone from me, and have it delivered to LA. I was emotionally ready to just stop thinking about it and get it done. When I started the process, they declined using their shipping services due to insurance reasons. Thus the delay to late April, and the subsequent re-examining of the whole project.

I will sit tight for another month and a half. I'll see what I think about the matching 1.1. That is looking like a promising idea. I really do believe the people that say a 2 ctw pair of studs is a good lifetime size. And I think that is something that could justify from a financial standpoint, and have peace with, rather than angst.

Thanks for saying this...
"It's so very easy to fall into the trap of wanting everything you see on here!! But sometimes the want is fleeting, and sometimes it initially manifests in a variety of confusing, muddled ways, and it takes some time for the jumble to settle into a single clear proposal..."

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm glad I was helpful! I was hesitant to post because I know how having someone pour the proverbial cold water on an exciting project-to-be feels, but... I also know how it feels to regret commissioning a piece and that lasts a whole lot longer! And it doesn't sound like you've quite nailed down what you're looking for in a long-term (I don't like to say "forever" - I inevitably come down with an insurmountable case of analysis paralysis!) setting yet.

My studs are 2.5ctw but they're old cuts so they face up more like ~2.25ctw, same as yours would. I think it's a very versatile size - big enough to stand out but not so big that they're overwhelming or over-the-top for daily wear. I think the 0.7s look fantastic on your ears too, I just can't stomach the idea of a perfectly good 1ct stone sitting in a drawer when it could be livin' it up on your ear :bigsmile:

Good luck with your decision!!! It's a super exciting set of choices, whatever you choose!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I still hope you take the time to go to Escobar's and try on a heap of things. I think we all have a MUCH clearer idea of what we do and don't want after actually trying on a range of things. You might discover for example that you don't even like the way halos look on you, or alternatively that you absolutely love them.

Having no clue what you want is a recipe for disaster. I had mine *cough* *cough* (massive screwup) with that pear.... anyway get a clear idea of what you want before spending buckets of $$$$$s on anything.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree that you should wait on your reset. You should definitely go try out a few rings and settings and see which you like best.

I appreciate what you're going through. I've been struggling with setting decisions myself. I know I know... First World Problem but it is what it is....

RE the earrings, I do think that you cannot really go bigger than 1.1ct each (you lucky ducky with tiny earlobes :)) ). Whether you could find a match to your existing stone is another issue altogether. If you like or if spending money on a new pair altogether is not going to be an issue, I'd shoot for a brand new matching pair (WF or BGD - these super duper ideal cut stones are just amazing!!).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also have to echo Arkie's post. There have been SO many rings I've seen at stores and in cases that I really liked. On my hand, not so much. It really is much better to try on several styles just to see what you like best. I remember when you were first setting this stone - you just kept coming back to the five stone and that what's you chose. There was a reason for this!

There are new rings and ideas to oogle on PS almost every day. Some folks have large stones, some small. They are all so beautiful in pictures but you really have to live with an idea for a bit to know if it's something you'd really like or just a passing fancy. Every time I see a beautiful solitaire I drool but the truth is that my three stone ring looks so much better on my hand than a solitaire. Probably the shape of my hand, length of fingers or just the fact that I'm used to that spread. Just want to ward off the total disappointment and expense of a new thing only to find out - no, that's really not for me. It's hard and you are being strong so I think you're on the right path!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks said:
I also have to echo Arkie's post. There have been SO many rings I've seen at stores and in cases that I really liked. On my hand, not so much. It really is much better to try on several styles just to see what you like best. I remember when you were first setting this stone - you just kept coming back to the five stone and that what's you chose. There was a reason for this!

There are new rings and ideas to oogle on PS almost every day. Some folks have large stones, some small. They are all so beautiful in pictures but you really have to live with an idea for a bit to know if it's something you'd really like or just a passing fancy. Every time I see a beautiful solitaire I drool but the truth is that my three stone ring looks so much better on my hand than a solitaire. Probably the shape of my hand, length of fingers or just the fact that I'm used to that spread. Just want to ward off the total disappointment and expense of a new thing only to find out - no, that's really not for me. It's hard and you are being strong so I think you're on the right path!

Thanks MGR. I'm doing my best to stay strong. I totally forgot. There was a reason I kept coming back to the five stone. It's funny how quickly I can forget. Yes, that is true. Your 3 stone looks like it belongs there. You're so strong to stick with it despite all the tempting, tantalizing sparklies that are presented on this site. One must be strong to keep coming back. :)

Phoenix said:
I agree that you should wait on your reset. You should definitely go try out a few rings and settings and see which you like best.

I appreciate what you're going through. I've been struggling with setting decisions myself. I know I know... First World Problem but it is what it is....

RE the earrings, I do think that you cannot really go bigger than 1.1ct each (you lucky ducky with tiny earlobes :)) ). Whether you could find a match to your existing stone is another issue altogether. If you like or if spending money on a new pair altogether is not going to be an issue, I'd shoot for a brand new matching pair (WF or BGD - these super duper ideal cut stones are just amazing!!).

Phoenix, wow, hard to believe you struggle with this too. I definitely don't feel so lame and indecisive. ;-) Hmmm. You think 1.1 is the max per ear, huh? Ok, maybe your opinion can kill my DSS forever, at least at my ears. ;-) And matching? I wonder how much it matters since the studs on your ears are so far apart? If I get to that point, I'd probably have to start another thread.

Yssie said:
I'm glad I was helpful! I was hesitant to post because I know how having someone pour the proverbial cold water on an exciting project-to-be feels, but... I also know how it feels to regret commissioning a piece and that lasts a whole lot longer! And it doesn't sound like you've quite nailed down what you're looking for in a long-term (I don't like to say "forever" - I inevitably come down with an insurmountable case of analysis paralysis!) setting yet.

My studs are 2.5ctw but they're old cuts so they face up more like ~2.25ctw, same as yours would. I think it's a very versatile size - big enough to stand out but not so big that they're overwhelming or over-the-top for daily wear. I think the 0.7s look fantastic on your ears too, I just can't stomach the idea of a perfectly good 1ct stone sitting in a drawer when it could be livin' it up on your ear :bigsmile:

Good luck with your decision!!! It's a super exciting set of choices, whatever you choose!

Yssie, good to know I've found someone else who doesn't like a diamond sitting at home, unworn. I just wish May would roll around already so I can get started!

mom2boys said:
Somehow I really like the .73ct stud on you. You are lucky to have small earlobes! :))

Hi mom2boys, if I can't hold out until the end of April, watch me take the plunge with the 0.73s. :) I keep telling myself to stay strong!!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Donna, thank you so much for responding. It really appreciate it, since you actually are living with you beautiful reset. What you said about your studs rings very true to me. I can see myself wearing my studs daily. That is sticking to me.

Right now, I'm wearing my ring daily. I've been off PS for a while, meaning just barely skimming maybe once a day. And strangely I am really liking my ring right now. I just don't want to regret a reset.

If you feel like sharing, what would you reset your diamond to? If too personal, I totally understand.

Dear LLJsmom,

I am not sure of my setting yet. I am not actively shopping, just looking occasionally to see if anything wows me. I want something that shows off my round diamond, no halo, less metal, comfortable, simple. I want to avoid going custom with a new design again.

Plus, I need to decide what to do with current halo setting. I think, like you, that an old cut would look better in it.

I originally replied quickly in the middle of the night to your “what would you do and why?” So, I tried to write a response to elaborate but it was so long and embarrassing (in a funny way) that I had to stop. I just feel like I relate to you in many ways.

Here is my shorted version…
I have my original e-ring .60ct diamond set in a pendant that I have not worn in about 12 years. I also have my 1.3ct first upgrade (now recut to 1.1ct) unset. I should have found a match for earrings, at the time, for the .60ct, then again for the 1.3ct for upgraded earrings.

The 1.98ctw studs I wore happily for about 10 years were from finding a match (not a perfect match) to a 1ct diamond I already had. They felt too big at first, but really were a perfect size. Cost was much less than the 1.5ctw I purchased and returned at the time.

When I purchased my 2.5ct diamond (to upgrade from the 1.3ct) I also had a custom setting made, my setting was similar to your current setting (and even more similar to the A. Link you were considering). I reset from that to the cushion shaped halo less than a year later. Looking back, I should have gone back to my original jeweler and had him shave down the gold or remake in a more delicate shape with tapered stones in the setting.

Anyways, I think it is a great idea to take your time and to look at Joe Escobar. I found Pricescope because of Beacon’s ring and it was the first halo I saw that made me consider a halo.

Again, best wishes to you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

donnabrsd|1395082991|3635939 said:
Hi Donna, thank you so much for responding. It really appreciate it, since you actually are living with you beautiful reset. What you said about your studs rings very true to me. I can see myself wearing my studs daily. That is sticking to me.

Right now, I'm wearing my ring daily. I've been off PS for a while, meaning just barely skimming maybe once a day. And strangely I am really liking my ring right now. I just don't want to regret a reset.

If you feel like sharing, what would you reset your diamond to? If too personal, I totally understand.

Dear LLJsmom,

I am not sure of my setting yet. I am not actively shopping, just looking occasionally to see if anything wows me. I want something that shows off my round diamond, no halo, less metal, comfortable, simple. I want to avoid going custom with a new design again.

Plus, I need to decide what to do with current halo setting. I think, like you, that an old cut would look better in it.

I originally replied quickly in the middle of the night to your “what would you do and why?” So, I tried to write a response to elaborate but it was so long and embarrassing (in a funny way) that I had to stop. I just feel like I relate to you in many ways.

Here is my shorted version…
I have my original e-ring .60ct diamond set in a pendant that I have not worn in about 12 years. I also have my 1.3ct first upgrade (now recut to 1.1ct) unset. I should have found a match for earrings, at the time, for the .60ct, then again for the 1.3ct for upgraded earrings.

The 1.98ctw studs I wore happily for about 10 years were from finding a match (not a perfect match) to a 1ct diamond I already had. They felt too big at first, but really were a perfect size. Cost was much less than the 1.5ctw I purchased and returned at the time.

When I purchased my 2.5ct diamond (to upgrade from the 1.3ct) I also had a custom setting made, my setting was similar to your current setting (and even more similar to the A. Link you were considering). I reset from that to the cushion shaped halo less than a year later. Looking back, I should have gone back to my original jeweler and had him shave down the gold or remake in a more delicate shape with tapered stones in the setting.

Anyways, I think it is a great idea to take your time and to look at Joe Escobar. I found Pricescope because of Beacon’s ring and it was the first halo I saw that made me consider a halo.

Again, best wishes to you.

Hi Donna, I am so grateful for your openness and honesty. I did see some photos of your prehalo setting and I was so surprised at how much mine looked like yours. That must mean something right? I am trying my best to stay strong. I am dying for some new bling, any bling right now. After an 11 hour day, I find myself on the whiteflash paired earring site. Sigh... I will let you know as soon as I get back from joe Escobar...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results