shape
carat
color
clarity

Northface~Suggestions Needed Please

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always find 3-in-1 jackets, as in one with a water-proof outer shell with a detachable fleece inner jacket, very versatile.

I can get by with the 3-in-1 jackets from Regatta, however, I would love to get a better one by the likes of North Face or Berghaus.

DK :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamomdsOnly, hope your new Osito works for you! It was very sweet of your husband to get you something soft and warm. And I'm sure the new Columbia fleece will come in handy as well. Sounds like you had a very merry Christmas!

Haven! How are you, lady? Sure miss you around here. I agree, Marmot makes some very nice quality things. I did not mention them in my above reviews because I stopped carrying the brand at my former place of employment due to issues that sort of soured me on the company as a whole. But the quality is definitely noteworthy.

Hope you all are staying warm this winter! Sounds like everyone has a handle on the cold weather gear, but I am always happy to offer insight if needed!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Monnie! I miss you and everyone else on PS! I'm in the middle of my year leave from work and I find that the only time I'm on my computer is when I sit down to write, so all my PS time has disappeared. So sad!! I'll be back in full force come August when I'm holding office hours every week again. ;))

So interesting to hear about your experience with Marmot. That makes me sad because I love them so. I'm a big fan of Patagonia, too. Marmot jackets just always make me look so GOOD. They are so flattering, on top of being extremely well-made and durable. And the little details, they do care about the little details. I like that. They're pricey though, we always buy our Marmot gear on super sale at REI. That being said, I have one of those long down North Face puffy jackets and it has served me well here in Chicago. I wear that to walk the dogs on the bitterest of bitter cold nights. Over other layers, of course. But it's a great jacket.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LA Jen, Marmot is probably longer than you might want. You mentioned wearing a child size in TNF upthread. Both are great. Difference is (going into this simply) Marmot will be around and has changed owners fewer times than SD. That's not to say Sierra Designs is lesser quality. just means if you have a warranty issue Marmot might be a better option.

blondie~

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm in Canada (Alberta). I want to give another endorsement for the Thermoball hoodie. To me, it's the most awesome jacket I've ever owned. I bought my husband one too for Christmas. Heh, he insisted he wear it before Christmas. I wear mine as a single layer, a mid layer, a top layer, casual for daily stuff, and believe it or not, even for running, even in our crazy cold and chinook climates. The thing scrunches up in a ball inside its own pocket so I can throw it in a tote for travel, it washes up like a dream, is lighter than any jacket I've owned. I've worn it in temps as low as -15C (5F) so far this year. It's breathable. I love it!

The Thermoball however is not waterproof. It is pretty good as far as wind resistence goes. I highly recommend a person get the one with the hood (hoodie). I don't think I'll wear it except as a mid layer when our temps plummet to -40C(-40F) (that's with windchill). I've also had experience with some of the LandsEnd jackets ... in Boston, Halifax, and here. They do give good value for ones money. I suspect better waterrrsistence. I've worn these in fairly chilly temps.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Blondie. I feel like I'm leaning towards the thermoball. Anybody know when these will go on sale?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAJennifer|1388206133|3581695 said:
Thanks, Blondie. I feel like I'm leaning towards the thermoball. Anybody know when these will go on sale?

Jen, I would give it a few weeks. Thermoball is TNF'S newest/latest/greatest technology for 2013 so should go on sale soon, but even as an insider have no idea when and how much. Really depends on company wide sales and which colors. You might have to pay full price on this one, unfortunately, as it is the newest model and they've spent a ton on advertising

blondie~

Rough_Rock
I did a fair bit of research. I compared it with what Patagonia had, also something from MEC (that's like REI). I believe I tried on a Marmot too. I was skeptical because living up here we're conditioned to think we need down. But the downside of down, is washing it, and the downtime without it afterwards. What clinched it for me was the reviewers' comments of jacket comparisons in a magazine ... Backpacker, I believe. The Thermoball got their 'jacket of the year' endorsement. I figured, hey, I've switched from down blankets to synthetic fill, so why not a jacket? Care is easier with a synthetic IMO. And no poking or bunching up with feathers. I could've gone for either a Large or an Extra Large Women's (I'm a size 10/12) . I chose the XL because it gave me about 2" more length over my butt, and I can wear something thick and fleecy underneath when I need to (So far though, I haven't.) Yet it didn't look or feel overly puffy as an XL. It's fitted for a lady. I did put a waterproof shell over it once during a wet blizzard when I was doing a 4 mile commute on foot. Honestly, I sweated that day in it, and was only wearing a technical long sleeve underneath. It's simple too, not cumbersome with Velcro, fasteners, snaps, multiple pockets, inner skirts. I don't like all that garb in a jacket. I'm not a skier, or a mountain gal.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blondie, so great that you're giving feedback in this thread! That's what people really need--actual reviews. I can talk about features and benefits all day long just based on seeing each company's lines and testing out a few pieces, but hearing from someone whose actually worn the coat or jacket in real life is the most accurate review. Thanks!!!

Glad you like your Thermoball! I'm no longer in the trade, but I was really impressed with that technology and wanted one so bad for myself! Ah well, maybe some year after they're not "new" anymore they'll go on sale and I can afford one! LOL :wavey:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1388203798|3581681 said:
LA Jen, Marmot is probably longer than you might want. You mentioned wearing a child size in TNF upthread. Both are great. Difference is (going into this simply) Marmot will be around and has changed owners fewer times than SD. That's not to say Sierra Designs is lesser quality. just means if you have a warranty issue Marmot might be a better option.

Was responding on my phone earlier. So, to expand on this:

Marmot has been around forever and offers really good quality designs. I have nothing but positive to say about them. The reason I stopped carrying their lines in my store was only due to b2b issues. For example, I would place a pre-season order, be promised great pricing, and then the order would never ship, or only certain items would ship. So why place a pre-season order thinking I would get discounts? Made no sense for my budget. F you, I quit. But Haven, and others, their stuff IS great. I just cannot in good conscience endorse it.

One of Marmot's signature pieces is the Precip jacket for $99. It's a rain shell that is basic and keeps out the wet. Meant to last 2-5 years. Comparable to Patagonia's TorrentShell and North Face's Venture, priced at $140 and $99, respectively.

Details are crucial in comparison. Patagonia goes above and beyond with pit zips, and a waterproof front zip, as well as pockets made from the same waterproof/breathable fabric as the rest of the jacket, plus a microfiber fleece neck liner that may seem insignificant. The pocket thing is a big deal. The $99 jobs pockets are lined with mesh. Stick your keys in there 1 time and hey, hole. Stick your keys in a Patagonia shell pocket and hey, awesome, no prob. Let's see...waterproof front zip...um, I'm commuting 3 miles in pouring down rain, or I'm ascending a freaking mountain. I want to make sure NO WATER is getting into my core. (Marmot Precip and TNF Venture just have velcro front flaps; Patagonia Torrentshell has H2No waterproof front zip)

Anyway. I've gone on too long. I don't even work in this industry now! I do use a lot of products, and have field tested tons of things. I'm always happy to answer questions.

blondie~

Rough_Rock
Heh, sorry if I digress, but perhaps the thread is morphing? Stuff like this is expensive. It pays to look for bargains. We've a store up here called Winners, and they do get in some models of the higher end stuff. I've seen Marmot, Patagonia, NF, even Descente, on occasion. I don't know if a Thermoball will show up though. About 3 months ago I bought a Marmot 'Hyper' soft shell there for $99. As a running, urban hoofing type jacket. No pit zips. I've been wearing that on and off, comparing that with a stiffer NF gortex shell with pit zips. One of the things I noticed of the Marmot was the length of the zip pockets. So a person doesn't need pit zips. Those pockets vent enough. I think I'm becoming a convert to the softer fabrics. Very nice. I'm tired of being stiff and crunchy in frigid weather.

It was mentioned the black thermoball was shiny, and I agree. The silver-light gray color though isn't IMO.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love these outerwear threads, they're so interesting.

And kudos for Monnie for all her help...Lord knows I've talked her poor ear off, offline about it. What about this? Or this? Ummm maybe this? But what about this? Jeez.

I had gotten an Under Armor coat last month, and wore it to work a couple times before returning it-got myself a new tattoo instead haha. Still haven't gotten a new coat...have been wearing my Columbia Mighty Lite over a Soloman Nova, which so far has been ok..not perfect, but works for now. Thinking to get the Patagonia Torrentshell to mix and match w/the other two jackets since I can't for the life of me find a warm coat in our limited area. It will drive my husband bonkers, three layers to put on/take off...so that's kind of a side-bonus for me haha.

The Under Armor coat I had was..Helen or Helena. It was very pretty, but the neck part was a little too much for me, and the inside of the sleeves on the interior fleece were of some fabric that pulled on my shirt if I had long sleeves on. Minor, I know, but it was one of those irritants that just make you flip out. My inner drama queen would make an appearance and I'd be hopping up and down, shaking and flapping my arms just getting madder and madder.

The Soloman Nova, now, I looooove. It's stretchy and super soft and probably the most comfortable jacket I've ever owned. Flattering, too, I think.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, it was fun helping you!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I love this thread. Thanks to all of you. I'm going to REI tomorrow to try on a bunch of options. Maybe I'll get DH to take pics so I can see what they look like on me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results