shape
carat
color
clarity

Lancaster GTG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks ladies..greg's friends that live in DH (on one of the cutest streets ever) say their schools are pretty good...i will have to ask her more information on that, but her kids walk to school and are some of the BEST kids i have ever met, honestly, these are like the most well-behaved, smartest children ever hehe. they make us want to have kids (and that is rare!)...so it seems like the schools have been okay for them so far. but i am curious to know more for sure from other perspectives.

so in terms of 'if we worked in philly'..and wanted to be like no more than a 20-30 min drive IN TRAFFIC or a 20-30 min train ride from the city itself (center city is that what you guys call it?)...but we wanted a cute neighborhood feel with 2500ish sq ft house on like .20 acre or similar with good schools, not fantabulous but very good....which towns would you guys recommend we really seriously consider?

ephem...i am really warming up to the idea of PA honestly. i think it would be great for us to get out of california for a while. we'd keep a property here most likely for a rental....but i think i might be ready in a year or so to branch out and try something new. i have never lived anywhere else...and it is exciting to think about greg and i striking out on our own to do this. i love the idea of our bond together growing even stronger as we'd have to rely on each other and lean on each other even more than we do now. also it would be so different to live right near greg's family, something we have never done, and i know he'd be ecstatic. plus there is the whole cost of living and east coast experience...i like the idea of being close to a major city but not TOO Close, and i love the idea of being near NYC...and within driving distance of other states i have never visited! and as much as i adore being close to my family, sometimes i do think i am too close to them and need to kind of experience life out on my own without that 'buffer' if it makes sense.

anyhow, thanks again for all the comments and assistance (chrono hopefully the threadjack isn't too derailing! i keep meaning to stop asking Q's then i forget !)

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
http://septa.com/service/sched/pdfs/R5PT.pdf

Mara - the link is to the Septa regional rail schedule for "the main line". I would probably stay within zone 3 in order to keep the commute reasonable. It gives you an idea what commute time would be.

Narberth is another very cute town that sounds like you would like. I believe that anything along the main line is going to be significantly more expensive than Drexel Hill.

Someone else mentioned Jenkintown. That is also a very cute town with charming homes, and easy access to the city.

Here is the Septa schedule for Jenkintown.

http://septa.com/service/sched/pdfs/R5LD.pdf

Elkins Park and Melrose Park have great old stone houses too. NOt sure about school districts etc.

30th Street Station, Suburban Station and Market East are the three center city stops. Chances are if you are working in the city, you would be getting off at one of these stations.

In this area, a .25 acre lot is considered pretty darn small! I always find it interesting how differently people perceive lot sizes in California. There is a lot to be said for not having a lot to maintain, especially for a young couple.

I am Philadelphia (suburbs) born and bred and I love it here. The snow is not a huge issue. Someone can correct me if I''m wrong, but I remember having very little snow this past winter. We do get the odd winter where we get a lot of snow, but those winters are few and far between. I think you would probably enjoy it. I am still like a little kid when it snows - I never get tired of it.

Summers can be pretty hot and humid, mostly just July and August. We are having a beautiful summer so far, pretty cool and dry.

Good luck with your decision. It is an exciting thing to do as a couple.

Funny, I would love to live in the San Francisco area - the grass is always greener!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2007 5:22:47 PM
Author: Joolskie
Sorry to be MIA for a few days there. This week was so crazy. I did not make it to the Gem show in Timonium. The past few days have been so hectic, I just caught up and chilled out today.

All this talk about Philly and NYC is making want to road trip! I grew up just outside of NYC and try to get up there to visit with friends and family as much as I can. And since moving to York, PA from Baltimore a few years ago, I am closer to Philly and have enjoyed getting to know it better!

ANYWAY... Chrono, what is the best way for us to plan a GTG? My two sons (ages 4 and 6) are currently home with me and I work from home during the day. So, evenings or weekends would probably work best. Unless you want to talk bling at Chuck E Cheese or the play area at Park City. LOL!

Let me know what you have in mind!

1.gif
Oh gee, I had to scroll back quite a bit to find Joolskie''s last post.
3.gif

Honestly, weekdays are so hectic for me these days. Especially with a vacation being planned for August. I''d love to meet you and your boys at the play area at PC, if you don''t mind. Thursdays are out (too many meetings). I can do an extended lunch break.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/6/2007 9:33:16 AM
Author: Chrono
Date: 7/1/2007 5:22:47 PM

Author: Joolskie

Sorry to be MIA for a few days there. This week was so crazy. I did not make it to the Gem show in Timonium. The past few days have been so hectic, I just caught up and chilled out today.

All this talk about Philly and NYC is making want to road trip! I grew up just outside of NYC and try to get up there to visit with friends and family as much as I can. And since moving to York, PA from Baltimore a few years ago, I am closer to Philly and have enjoyed getting to know it better!

ANYWAY... Chrono, what is the best way for us to plan a GTG? My two sons (ages 4 and 6) are currently home with me and I work from home during the day. So, evenings or weekends would probably work best. Unless you want to talk bling at Chuck E Cheese or the play area at Park City. LOL!

Let me know what you have in mind!

1.gif

Oh gee, I had to scroll back quite a bit to find Joolskie''s last post.
3.gif

Honestly, weekdays are so hectic for me these days. Especially with a vacation being planned for August. I''d love to meet you and your boys at the play area at PC, if you don''t mind. Thursdays are out (too many meetings). I can do an extended lunch break.

Sounds good to me Chrono. This coming week will be tough for me. I have a lot of work thanks to this past week being a holiday week. Many of my clients were out of their offices. What about the following week? The 18th or 20th?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
July 20th would be best on my end. What times are best for you? I am a bit more flexiable as I am quite close to Park City. I''m so excited to finally meet someone else who understands and loves diamonds.
9.gif

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 1:11:48 PM
July 20th would be best on my end. What times are best for you? I am a bit more flexiable as I am quite close to Park City. I''m so excited to finally meet someone else who understands and loves diamonds.
9.gif

Hmmm, how about 12:30pm at the play area?!? The kids and I will grab lunch first. That way, we can sit and chat. And uh, I believe there is a jewelry store outside of the mall near Pier One. I went in there to check out the Ritani settings. Perhaps the winds might move us there, ya know, just to check things out...
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
12:30 noon at the PC''s play area on 7/21 it is! The play area is in front of Sears right? The place has been renovated and I think
they moved the play area from the food court to upstairs.

I almost bought my original EC upgrade at that place now outside P1 but they didn''t have what I wanted. I''d love to go see sparklies there. Warren Jewellers (outside PC) is a smaller store but isn''t a chain store and has decent items. I also looked there for my upgrade but didn''t see anything I liked. Are you bringing your digital camera? If you are, I''ll bring a couple extra pieces to quell the PS wolves.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
It's a date Chrono! I will definitely bring the digital camera. Can't wait to meet you...
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I just saw that your 6 year old son''s name is Ryan! Well, my oldest son (4 yo) is also Ryan.
1.gif

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 8:59:40 AM
OMG, I just saw that your 6 year old son's name is Ryan! Well, my oldest son (4 yo) is also Ryan.
1.gif

LOL... that is too cool Chrono. You have great taste in bling and in names. You have an infant as well, right? My four-year-old is named Jonathan. We call him Jack as there is already an Uncle John and Uncle Johnny in our family.

I am really looking forward to Friday! I have a manicure scheduled tomorrow so my hands will be in good shape for displaying rings. And, of course, for trying on potential new rings...

31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My baby's name is Jared. Does having it start with a J still count me in as cool?
31.gif

Your fingers and hands had better be in good shape because mine aren't. I'm doing too much handwashing that they look old and wrinkly and I'm not ready to post my ugly hand on PS. I hope you don't mind being the hand model for all the pictures. I've broken out the vault for some rings and a few loose gemstone. We are going to have FUN!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results