shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Cookie Recipes

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful cookie tray Marcy :wavey:
Agreed, the mice are so cute! Thanks for posting them Skippy =)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Skippy and Ninna. :wavey:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't had time to bake but I would love some recipes or see some pretty cookies :love:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Reopened at Skippy's request

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for reopening, I found a peanut butter fudge recipe that I am going to make :wink2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was missing this thread. I am so glad to see it up here again for Christmas 2011! In fact, I wish that the Christmas music and Christmas baking threads were popular enough to stay on the first page of Hangout during the week before Christmas (for purely selfish purposes), because I like to have them close at hand as Christmas approaches!!! I tend to use Pricescope as my resource for all things Christmas!

Thanks Skippy and Ella!

Deb
:saint:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
This weekend I made peppermint cream bites that were a big hit at the office. Plus they're super cute!

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/bars/peppermint-cream-bites/

Peppermint Cream Bites
Yield: 30 round bites
Prep: 20 mins / Bake: 350°F 8 mins / Freeze: 45 mins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate sandwich cookies with white filling (about 15 cookies)
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
2 teaspoons shortening

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the pan edges; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine crushed cookies and melted butter. Press mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar and softened butter in a food processor. Cover and process until butter is evenly distributed. With processor running, add milk and peppermint extract to make a paste. Spread peppermint mixture evenly over the prepared crust. Put in freezer for 45 minutes.
4. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chopped chocolate and shortening. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 minute or until chocolate is melted, stirring once. Let chocolate cool 15 minutes. Pour chocolate over mint layer and spread evenly. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Use a 1-1/2-inch round cookie cutter to cut mixture into rounds,* or cut mixture into squares. Makes 30 round bites.

From the Test Kitchen

Tip * To help push the cookie cutter through the mixture, press the top of the cookie cutter with the bottom of a measuring cup.
Storage Place peppermint bites in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.

SB Tips: the peppermint cream was a bit difficult to spread - I would have added a touch more milk to thin it out. I also sprinkled crushed candy canes on top for a little added color and cheer!

l_R136488.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
These dream bars are dreamy--a brownie meets a chocolate chip cookie! You can cheat and use brownie mix too
This Epicurious.com recipe: Dream Bars
has been sent to you by a friend.
You can view the complete recipe online at: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dream-Bars-108707?mbid=ipapp

Dream Bars
Brownie batter , left in bowl

For chocolate chip cookie dough
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips (8 ounces)

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan and line bottom and sides with wax paper, then butter paper.
Spread brownie batter evenly in pan.

Make chocolate chip dough: Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Lightly beat 1 egg with a fork in a small bowl and add 1 3/4 tablespoons of it plus remaining whole egg to butter mixture, beating with mixer until creamy. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture until just blended, then stir in chips.
Top brownie batter evenly with spoonfuls of cookie dough, spreading gently with back of spoon to form an even layer.
Bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs adhering, about 1 1/4 hours. Cool completely in pan on a rack, about 2 hours. Invert onto a cutting board, remove paper, and cut into bars.

Cooks' note:
Cooled dream bars keep, layered between sheets of wax paper, in an airtight container at room temperature 2 days.
Gourmet
October 2003
Adapted from Carla Rollins

Want to see how other cooks rated and reviewed this recipe? Go to http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dream-Bars-108707?mbid=ipapp

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a wonderful thread!

sillyberry, the recipe and picture you posted looks yummy!

Skippy, I have to say I take my hat off to you: you are always able to find recipes that look cute! I love that bark! It's too bad that the twins are too young to have any idea what tree bark is! (But their time will come. Your love of nature will be transmitted to them. On the other hand, by the time they are old enough to learn about bark on trees and mice and whatnot, you will be well on your way into the first lines of, "The Mom's Song" with them! But I digress.)

tuffyluvr, I should have known you would grace us with a fabulous recipe! Thank you; you are the super baker here!!!

Deb
:saint:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Sillyberry--those look yummy and so cute too!!!

Deb, you are so sweet!I just get to practice baking a lot because someone at work found out I like to bake, so now I end up making treats for every birthday in the office ;-)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
DEB, lol to the Mom's song!!!! that made me laugh! Are you baking cookies this year? if so which ones? I might have to make some for sure. I am craving cookies like crazy! ehehe

TUFFYLUVR, those sound delicious! I love anything chocolate! That is awesome you are a fabulous baker; how fun to make the birthday cookies!!! :appl:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bump for bakers! :bigsmile:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
2012 Recipes, please post here. I actually used this last night for some banana chocolate chip oatmeal cookies I made in the past.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am about to make some Gingerbread cookie ornaments; I will post pics tomorrow.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1355102551|3327172 said:
I am about to make some Gingerbread cookie ornaments; I will post pics tomorrow.

here they are; the gingerbread ornaments for the twins tree, so if they eat them I won't have to worry. lol

dscf4097.jpg

dscf4102.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
one last pic

32434_4587360655861_1320492051_n.jpg

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
They look beautiful :lickout:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy:

That is awesome! One of my most cherished Christmas memories is my brother, Mother and I would make gingerbread cookies for our tree. We (probably mostly my Mom until we got old enough to get really help) collected different cookie cutters each year so that we would have all different ones for the tree - we probably had 30-40 shapes! Then we would intricately and painstakingly decorate them with finely piped white icing. They were soooo beautiful hanging all over the tree! We kept it up into our twenties, and we would come home and decorate them in ridiculous ways - like as hippies, people we knew, monsters or cartoon characters. We would crack ourselves up making them and decorating them.

One year, our dog cottoned on to edible goodies on the tree and pulled the whole tree over by grabbing hold of one of the cookies and thinking she was home free... :lol: She never went near the tree again.

My Mom passed years ago and I was the lucky one who inherited the cookie cutters :))

Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have many more years of cookie/tree decorating with your gorgeous boys!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I had a bag of maple sugar in my cupboard that i have been wanting to use, so I made bacon maple oatmeal cookies with salty maple glaze for a cookie exchange yesterday and they were a huge hit! I totally winged it, but the cookie texture and flavor was pretty perfect.
3/4 lb bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
1c butter
A couple tablespoons of the bacon grease
1c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c maple sugar (not syrup!)--they sell it at trader joes and specialty stores
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
2 1/2 c quick cooking oats

Glaze:
1c powdered sugar
1/2 c maple sugar
Approx 2 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oven to 375 degrees

Cream butter, bacon grease and sugars with an electric mixer on medium speed til fluffy--about 2 min. Add eggs and vanilla, beat for another min or so.

In a separate bowl sift together all dry ingredients except oats. Stir into butter and sugar mixture in two additions. Add oats about 1/2 c at a time, alternating with bacon.

Roll approx 1 Tbsp of dough for each cookie. Flatten slightly with the back of a fork or your hand. Bake for 10-12 min. Cool for about 3 min on cookie sheets, then transfer to wire racks. Allow to cool completely

To make icing whisk sugars, salt and milk together. Drizzle onto cookies (I just used the whisk to dot the icing on the cookies). Allow icing to set approx 20 min.

Yield 3 dozen cookies

Enjoy the salty savoriness!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1355189770.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1355186246|3328080 said:
Skippy:

That is awesome! One of my most cherished Christmas memories is my brother, Mother and I would make gingerbread cookies for our tree. We (probably mostly my Mom until we got old enough to get really help) collected different cookie cutters each year so that we would have all different ones for the tree - we probably had 30-40 shapes! Then we would intricately and painstakingly decorate them with finely piped white icing. They were soooo beautiful hanging all over the tree! We kept it up into our twenties, and we would come home and decorate them in ridiculous ways - like as hippies, people we knew, monsters or cartoon characters. We would crack ourselves up making them and decorating them.

One year, our dog cottoned on to edible goodies on the tree and pulled the whole tree over by grabbing hold of one of the cookies and thinking she was home free... :lol: She never went near the tree again.

My Mom passed years ago and I was the lucky one who inherited the cookie cutters :))

Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have many more years of cookie/tree decorating with your gorgeous boys!

oh wow, that is awesome you got the cookie cutters. Do you have any pictures of them? I think when the boys are older we will do decorating but right now they are only 1 years old. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story about your family!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
ops double post.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh tuffylover, those look delicious; thanks for sharing and sharing a pic!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am done baking so no pics to post. Happy cookie eating Santa and helpers! :D

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I have 2 6oz bricks of marzipan--does anyone have a good marzipan cookie recipe???

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
tuffyluvr|1356210760|3338190 said:
I have 2 6oz bricks of marzipan--does anyone have a good marzipan cookie recipe???
Hi tuffyluvr, did you make your cookies already? I have never baked with marzipan. I did a quick search but here is a list of items that use marzipan, maybe one of the recipes will be something you want to try? if you do, let us know how it goes! Let us know how it goes even if you don't use one of the recipes. I have never cooked with it so I will learn something new!!!! happy baking :mrgreen:

http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all?foodido=14150,14858

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Skippy! I have not made cookies yet--I'm baking some to serve with homemade frozen custard for tomorrows dessert. I probably wont bake them til tomorrow so they're fresh. This list of recipes is great--I'm going to try the chewy marzipan bars, I think! Thx again! :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
tuffyluvr|1356299267|3338699 said:
Thanks Skippy! I have not made cookies yet--I'm baking some to serve with homemade frozen custard for tomorrows dessert. I probably wont bake them til tomorrow so they're fresh. This list of recipes is great--I'm going to try the chewy marzipan bars, I think! Thx again! :)

Oh that sounds DELICIOUS!!!! Enjoy and Merry Christmas! :wavey: :wavey:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, you too!!!! <3

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
tuffyluvr|1356371648|3339160 said:
Thank you, you too!!!! <3

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results