shape
carat
color
clarity

Dyed my hair, need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathyinjapan

Shiny_Rock
I think dark hair suits your complexion very well

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hands down - your natural color. It''s a beautiful & - well - NATURAL shade. It''s soft and full of personality.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the darker looks bad, really, but I prefer your natural color. I think it''s neat that it matches your eyes. It''s very pretty. It does go with your complexion.

And lots of peoples eyebrows (including mine) are darker than their hair. If you notice, a lot of mens mustaches and beards don''t match the head hair either. It''s just the way we''re made.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I love your natural color and it matches your eyes beautifully. I think the darker shade washes you out a little (it''s sort of close to my natural color and I *wish* I had all your lovely red in mine!)

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Both are nice but I prefer your natural color over the darker. Also I 100% agree with Marvel about getting your eyebrows professionally shaped. Cleaned up/polished eyebrows can totally change your face. I'm looking at your picture thinking man if she lived here I'd bring her to Rebecca P. or Laura (Who do my eyebrows), she'll look amazing, lol

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
You could go in between. A dark base with gold highlights to spice things up.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Lots of people would KILL for your natural colour, which is truly gorgeous and you look beautiful au naturel. But I have to say, the dark colour looks really sophisticated and sexy. You would definitely need some colour on your face, but I really dig the darker shade. That''s where my vote is going.

One thing to consider: in years to come, will you wish you had had your natural colour in your wedding photos?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I''d go natural color for your photos, definitely, especially since you are getting married in the sumer. I''d even consider having some highlights put in (subtle).

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to mention that I think your natural haircolor is really, really pretty too Robbie! I do think the darker color is a good change for you, though, especially since you were bored with your natural color. I'm asian and I wish I could experiment with hair color a bit more...lighter colors look funny on me, even just in highlights.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't really like the darker color. But then again I am not a fan of darker color and pale skin...keep in mind I have a natural brown skin tone so I definitely think everyone looks better with some sort of skin color, hehee.

One of my best friends who is just a stunning looker, has darker hair like yours now and ice blue eyes with a pale skin tone and I just don't like it on her either. I really loved her darker blonde/brown phase where she had a brown base and then these super fat chunky dark blonde highlights, loved it and it made her eyes really come out more too. But she loves it and thinks she looks fab, so...
2.gif

I am also not a fan of solid hair tones...I think everyone looks better with some highlights. So the dark color you have now with some darker golden highlights could make it work better in my opinion, or maybe a shade between your original and the new dark version with highlights would be a compromise. Right now though, I just think that this color makes your skin look like a combo of pale pinky at the same time. Makeup could definitely help even that look out, but you asked about looking washed out and I think you do.

I really liked your hair color and tones in the original picture and the one where the natural light is hitting it. I think that is a prettier color than the one you have now and more flattering to your skin. I think you could play off the fact that your eyes were the same color as your hair by doing some beautiful bluese and purples to really bring out your eyes more.

Anyway, I know I am the minority in not liking the new color but I agree re: wedding pictures being forever and I think that the 'dark hair' thing is a total phase right now (Cameron Diaz, Jessica Simpson) so think hard about what you want to see in 20 years and if you want to see YOU ... the way you know yourself or some trendy version of you that was 'so 2007'. Good luck!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 10:40:13 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
I was wondering if you could practice your makeup application and take a photo after it, with the darker hair? General consensus is concern about the intensity of your makeup- with the darker color.

I really love the subtle variances in the shading in your natural color. Your natural hair is so pretty it actually has life to it! If you are dead set on a change, I would suggest you go in and professionally have it punched up. They will play off your natural colors and just intensify them-hi lites and low lights. So in your upsweep you will see more dimension to your hair. That is it. Your natural color has dimension...the darker is pretty and does compliment your features...it just lacks dimension. I think that loook is a great option for you to have...

But on your wedding day...you want to hear gasps when you appear...because you will make a beautiful bride...right? But gasps because of a drastic hair color...I don''t know...???

My opinion is to enhance your natural color with a professional. You will get the change you are looking for, and the subtleness will leave everyone with wonder...of what you did to be so glowing
2.gif

DKS
with her natural hair I''d be more inclined to do browns and pinks, with the darker hair I''d go darker on the lips and eyes and lighter on the cheeks.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2007 12:36:30 PM
Author: Mara
I don''t really like the darker color. But then again I am not a fan of darker color and pale skin...keep in mind I have a natural brown skin tone so I definitely think everyone looks better with some sort of skin color, hehee.
yes, darn you people with lovely dark skin!!!!!!!! I remember laying on rafts in pools covered in baby oil for an entire summer between 9-10th grade and getting as tan as I ever could have imagined and still being lighter than everyone else with their normal tans LOL I gave up that long long ago for health reasons and I will blind you with my pink/white skin and you will pity me ::sob:: I married a mexican thiking okay I''ll get some dark skin in my kids and nope, two are just as white as me and the other is close... though I admit they all tan much better than I ever did LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2007 9:49:53 AM
Author: Ellen
I don''t think the darker looks bad, really, but I prefer your natural color. I think it''s neat that it matches your eyes. It''s very pretty. It does go with your complexion.

And lots of peoples eyebrows (including mine) are darker than their hair. If you notice, a lot of mens mustaches and beards don''t match the head hair either. It''s just the way we''re made.
that''s true - my husband''s hair is like *the* darkest shade of brown before black but his goatee is medium brown and coppery.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2007 10:31:34 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Lots of people would KILL for your natural colour, which is truly gorgeous and you look beautiful au naturel. But I have to say, the dark colour looks really sophisticated and sexy. You would definitely need some colour on your face, but I really dig the darker shade. That''s where my vote is going.

One thing to consider: in years to come, will you wish you had had your natural colour in your wedding photos?
this is the #1 thing I think she should consider. My hair in my first pics when I married at the courthouse are my natural color, but for the rewnewal I dyed my hair red, it was like too red pink so I dyed it the same day blonde and it ended up a strawberry blonde which was pretty but not really me LOL I never *regretted* it though - its just one of those things I chuckle about.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Wow, lots of responses!

cehrabehra, I have a thing about eyebrows and hair matching too! haha. I actually did try to dye my eyebrows once and it was disasterous. I was doing a shade of red, but on my brows it just left these weird bleached spots. It was really awful until it finally grew/faded out.

lienTN, I actually have a slight fear of having my eyebrows shaped. I''ve tried a few times over the years and have always hated the results. They always seem to make them too thin, and with how dark they are and the shape of my face it just looks really weird. I also really dislike the look of highlights (the nautural ones are ok).

Thanks, Tacori!

door knob, I actually have no idea what I''m going to do with my make up on the day of the wedding. I haven''t scheduled my trial yet because I want to do the hair and makeup trial the same day as one of my dress fitting so I can see the whole look together.

love in bloom, I was thinking the same thing about plums and pinks. I actually wore purple eye shadow to work on friday :). I didn''t really like the way it looked with the lighter hair, but love how the purple (it''is a very subtle purple) looks with the dark hair. My hair actually isn''t nearly as shiny as it looks in the pictures. That''s all the camera''s doing
1.gif

Marvel, it seems to be the consensus that I need an eyebrow shaping! If only you ladies lived in Youngstown and could tell me where to go. Like I said, I''ve had bad experiences and am not too eager to try again.

HappyAnniversary, My fiance really likes it. He really likes when I look pale and the dark hair definitely makes me look paler. My cousins are the only family members who''ve seen it so far and they both said they love it. I care less about what the rest of my family thinks as long as FI loves it.

diamondfan, the wedding is in the fall (well, I think 9/8 technically still summer, but it''s close). We''re getting married inside in a ballroom. The dress is Maggie Sottero''s Vincenza in diamond white and oyster here''s the post with the pics I doubt I''ll have much of a tan. I''m thinking either half up or all down with big curls and definitely contacts over glasses.

Thanks for the votes Amy and bee*!

Jennifer, you might be on to something. I''ve been growing my hair out for a while now so maybe I''m just getting antsy about not being able to cut it.

indecisive, my hair actually isn''t very thick! It just looks like it is because it''s curled in the pictures. I''m glad that it makes it look thick though
2.gif

Thanks for the vote Kathy!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I really like your natural color alot. People spend alot of money for hair that color with that soft highlighting. The darker color is, IMO, too dark for your skin tone. It looks sort of harsh, while your natural color is just lovely. I like your waves too...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh one more thing.... are you wearing your glasses? If you''re wearing them I *definitely* vote for darker hair.... they''re funky and the whole package will be awesome with the dark hair.... if you''re not, then I might be more inclined toward the natural color just because you could look very soft and natural. the dark hair will make the glasses not be the darkest thing around your face and some nice dark or bright lipstick will also balance it out. If you are not wearing them, you will look very beautiful with natural hair, natural makeup and just being "pretty".

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
You look pretty with both. But I prefer the natural color. It''s just so beautiful! People dye their hair to try to get that lovely auburn color! I also prefer the natural shine and variation of your hair au-natural.

I also second the thinning and shaping the eyebrows thing. You''re right that they stand out with your natural color, but a better solution is to fix the eyebrows not the hair. And just be happy you have full enough eyebrows that you can shape them!
5.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think both looks are pretty ... but whichever way you decide, my concern is the eyebrows!!

If you stay "dark", then just a shaping should do the trick. Are you near NYC? There are some super eyebrow experts in the city & it might pay to spend big bucks ONCE & just maintain.

If you go light --(in addition to the prof. shaping) I would get a Brow-Zing kit ... it''s Benefit maybe, I''ll try to find out the brand. It''s an eybrow kit that has wax, powder & brushes. You can use it to TEMPORARILY lighten the brows just a touch. Makeup artists to this all the time. It''s kinda just adding some lighter brown powder & wax in with your darker brows & creating a slightly ligher, groomed effect. It also makes them stay perfectly in place & sort of glossy all day long.

I use it to slightly DARKEN my aging, fading brows ... but I used to use it to tone them down a bit. It''s funny to get used to using it but MAN it makes a difference. There are days that I use that that I don''t use MASCARA or lipstick. For me it really creates a more "youthful" look - but doesn''t look like "makeup". Anyway -- I really recommend it!

BTW -- I love the pix of you in the car. So serene! You''re gonna make a lovely bride!
1.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
I really prefer the natural color. The darker color seems to make your skin look paler, and is more austere. I had to work to notice your eyebrows in the natural color pic cause it does look very natural and typical to have darker eyebrows.

But if you must go darker, I vote for the dark base with some highlights back to the natural color and an eyebrow tint just before the wedding to fix the eyebrow mindclean problem.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Out of these two colors, I think your original looks better. Both look fine and quite natural, but the darker color looks more like "winter" hair color. Actually, what I think would look really good on you are some carmel jennifer aniston high lights rather than going darker. I wouldn''t worry about the eyebrow color. Honestly, I didn''t even notice the difference until I specifically looked for it.

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Hum...I think I like your natural hair color better. It''s softer and more romantic~

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll second the suggestion for some subtle, professional brow shaping. Just be sure to go to someone who knows what they're doing (get recommendations). My 15-year old niece-in-law is gets her eyebrows shaped these days because her mother used to get teased about her brows when she was a teenager. So my niece's brows are way overdone ... arched too much, too soon. I cringe everytime I see them and fear that if she doesn't stop soon they'll be stuck like that.

I digress.

The point is that your eyebrows frame your eyes. Shaped correctly, they could eliminate any concerns you might have about your haircolor taking attention from the eyes.

The BrowZing is Deco mentioned is made by Benefit. I've been using it for years (thin Asian eybrows) and I love it. The only thing I'd add to Deco's suggestion is to get a good shaper brush to use with it (or any brush-on color). An angled brush with a nice long handle is much easier to use.

If you do go with the darker color I'd suggest some highlights. Again, subtle.... but having a second shade will give your curls more definition and movement.

You'll look lovely no matter which color you choose!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the darker on you...they both look great, though! Off topic...I think we have the same glasses, lol!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go a shade in between both colors. Since this color is not permanent, in a week or two it will prob reach that shade. Your natural color is nice but a slightly darker, richer shade would look wonderful IMO.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I too like it darker. IT''s a more striking "wow" look and I think you look fabulous :)
Put on some makeup and give us a full on model
31.gif

You have such a beautiful smile!

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
And here is a mistake I made when I let my hairdresser wax my brows--she way over did them and I felt like I looked like an idiot for a month until they grew out. I trusted her because her brows looked so good and she cut my hair great. Now I only use a person who is a dedicated eyebrow person, and one who has been recommended by a friend. So give your self lots of time for ANY big changes in appearance in case the outcome it isn''t what you feel comfortable with. I probably didn''t look as bad as I felt, but I would have been miserable if it was a special occasion with pictures.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
Your natural (lighter) color looks best to me. I agree with the others who think that what would be best to leave the hair color as it is and adjust the eyebrows. If you had a colorist slightly lighten them so they weren''t darker than the hair and did whatever shaping a professional would do I think that''s all you need.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I like the darker color in general, but that''s cause it looks more like me
1.gif
I think looking washed out can be solved by a tiny bit of blush and some eyeliner..

But I think for wedding pictures, I would stick with your natural color, which is a really pretty and sort of unusual shade. You can dye it back right after the wedding!

As for eyebrows, I''ve had really good luck with a place that does "threading" instead of waxing. They''re all Indian women who do eyebrows all day long, and they do an awesome job, and my brows never come out too thin. You could check if they have anything like that in your area.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it''s a tough one, you look good either way. i agree that if you have been growing it out, you just may be itching for a change and that may be all there is to it. so you may wish to stay with your natural color, it is GORGEOUS. my brother in law''s girlfriend has eyes and hair that match, same color as yours as a matter of fact. the first time i met her it''s what i noticed and i could not get over the effect, it is beautiful. i have since wished i had that effect, and have even told people about it, so it''s funny i should come across a post talking about it.

keep in mind, in the photo your hair is sitting right next to your brows. i had to go back and look to see the difference and once i paid attention i could see it is there, but with your hair around your face swept back i don''t think it will be noticable at all.

i agree with many here, see if you can find someone you trust to do a good brow shaping. i was thinking have your brows tinted until i read your posts about scary things happening. i know that''s true of your shaping experiences as well, but manicured brows, done properly of course, make a WORLD of difference. if you could wear and be happy with your natural color, i think that''s the way to go because it is just so pretty.

and i think it goes better with your DRESS as well. it''s very princess and fairy tale and soft beauty, which i think begs a softer look, i.e. softer hair color. if you were wearing a daring sheath i''d say the darker color all the way, play up the drama.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results