shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Send Christmas Cards?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update to this - I sent out about 12-14 cards this year. We've only received two cards so far...one was from an elderly relative and she put my husband's and my name on the envelope, but inside the card, she called him by a different name (lol!). I am hoping we get more. I resorted to giving a card to the kids from the cat just so that we don't look totally pathetic. I use to display the long rows of cards, but just a couple looks silly. I was at a relatives house and noticed she only had a couple cards too and didn't bother to put them out like she normally does...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night I set out to update my address list, print labels (which I feel guilty about--I always think I should hand write the addresses), sign and put small notes in the cards, and stuff the envelopes... I got as far as printing the labels (with the exception of the few people whose addresses I've had to track down today). Today I was dreading a trip to the Post Office to get stamps, but I ended up buying them at CVS. Non-holiday, but a small price to pay to avoid a long line. And my new plan is to take it all with me to the airport on Friday and work in it there and on the plane to Chicago. It's not like I have anything else to do at 30,000 feet.

As of right now I'm at 148 cards and counting... :-o

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1355416122|3330299 said:
Last night I set out to update my address list, print labels (which I feel guilty about--I always think I should hand write the addresses), sign and put small notes in the cards, and stuff the envelopes... I got as far as printing the labels (with the exception of the few people whose addresses I've had to track down today). Today I was dreading a trip to the Post Office to get stamps, but I ended up buying them at CVS. Non-holiday, but a small price to pay to avoid a long line. And my new plan is to take it all with me to the airport on Friday and work in it there and on the plane to Chicago. It's not like I have anything else to do at 30,000 feet.

As of right now I'm at 148 cards and counting... :-o

Yikes, the postage on that is going to be nuts! The post office should give holiday discounts or something! (maybe more people would send cards, then!)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
How touching, VRB. I hope her final days were filled with joy in remembering those she loved and held close to her heart.

D*J...one reason I'm glad I don't live in KC...the airport! I hope the cards keep you good company, knowing the rest of the airport is a disaster!

Our Happy New Year photo cards arrived from Shutterfly yesterday! I love them! So excited. I'd love to personalize a few of them, but obviously can't use ballpoint pen...would a felt-tip marker work, do you think? Obviously limits how verbose I can be (since we had the backs of the cards printed with a short sentiment) but I'd hate for the fronts of the cards to get all lumpy from the ballpoint pen! Is there a middle-ground?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vc10um|1355422774|3330375 said:
How touching, VRB. I hope her final days were filled with joy in remembering those she loved and held close to her heart.

D*J...one reason I'm glad I don't live in KC...the airport! I hope the cards keep you good company, knowing the rest of the airport is a disaster!

Our Happy New Year photo cards arrived from Shutterfly yesterday! I love them! So excited. I'd love to personalize a few of them, but obviously can't use ballpoint pen...would a felt-tip marker work, do you think? Obviously limits how verbose I can be (since we had the backs of the cards printed with a short sentiment) but I'd hate for the fronts of the cards to get all lumpy from the ballpoint pen! Is there a middle-ground?

Fine point sharpie marker. Test a tiny corner on one first, but I have used these in a variety of applications and they always work!

As for the airport... geez... don't get me started! The good news is I can leave my office downtown at 4 pm, valet my car, and catch a 5:20 flight--with plenty of time to spare.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1355425269|3330418 said:

Fine point sharpie marker. Test a tiny corner on one first, but I have used these in a variety of applications and they always work!

As for the airport... geez... don't get me started! The good news is I can leave my office downtown at 4 pm, valet my car, and catch a 5:20 flight--with plenty of time to spare.

I may just have one of those Sharpies around. I know I have every color under the sun of the Ultra-Fine points, but those are up there with ball point pens!

My most ridiculous airport experience ever was at KCI...we were flying home after our wedding and waiting in the USAir terminal. Brand-spanking-new DH had to go to the bathroom. BUT. Because USAir and KCI were squabbling over whose duty it was to clean the bathrooms, the ones through security were BOARDED SHUT and DH had to go back out of the secure zone and back through security in order to use the Men's Room! DISASTER. :nono:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vc10um|1355429863|3330499 said:
Dee*Jay|1355425269|3330418 said:

I may just have one of those Sharpies around. I know I have every color under the sun of the Ultra-Fine points, but those are up there with ball point pens!

My most ridiculous airport experience ever was at KCI...we were flying home after our wedding and waiting in the USAir terminal. Brand-spanking-new DH had to go to the bathroom. BUT. Because USAir and KCI were squabbling over whose duty it was to clean the bathrooms, the ones through security were BOARDED SHUT and DH had to go back out of the secure zone and back through security in order to use the Men's Room! DISASTER. :nono:

A couple off weeks ago when I was flying to Chicago my flight got canceled (which I knew about before the pilot--who was sitting literally beside me--did because I got an automated message from United before he was even notified!) and I had to go back out to get rebooked and then come through security again. As you can imagine, it was a clusterfvck at that point with 200 people going in and out all at the same time.

ETA: And over the course of the day I've thought of 12 more people that I need to send cards to. Ack.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1355431325|3330525 said:
ETA: And over the course of the day I've thought of 12 more people that I need to send cards to. Ack.

:errrr: :-o ;(

Holy cow, D*J!!! That's an insane number of cards! I wish you luck in getting them all finished!!!

We ordered 50. :lol: DH has decided to only send the cards to a limited number of family members on his side...not sure how I feel about it, but they're not my family so my input doesn't really matter! I mean, it's not like he's estranged from any family, but there are definitely some that we prefer over others. They get cards. Others? Not so much.

Sooooo...we purchased 'Happy New Year' cards...when would you send them??? I honestly have no clue. I'm thinking I'll put them in the mail the Saturday before Christmas, maybe?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a Christmas card today.
How weird.

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I send out about 60 and then give out about 30 to my co-workers. I hand write a personal message in each one and sign it. I have a real card fetish so it must be a form of theropy for me. I love getting them too, especially with an update on how everyone is doing or pictures. I kind of feel like a brown noser saying this but I also send out cards all throughout the year for several occassions. I actually think of it as my ministry. It brings me great joy. My apologies if I offend anyone, not my intention. :love:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got all my cards done except a few stragglers I need do. I've only got a few cards so far. I enjoy those ones with a note.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Update: I sent out 117 cards and have received 5 so far.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't send out mass produced cards in a few years. This year I am hand making quilted christmas postcards and mailing them to my closest friends and a couple of DH family members. I am probably making about 20, not finished with them yet.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LittleRiver|1355496054|3331172 said:

I hope you get more. My ratio right now is about 7 to 1.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1355538336|3331755 said:
I haven't send out mass produced cards in a few years. This year I am hand making quilted christmas postcards and mailing them to my closest friends and a couple of DH family members. I am probably making about 20, not finished with them yet.

Wow those sound wonderful. Post a picture of a few of them. I would love to see them.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1355538336|3331755 said:

Good for you, L2S! I'm sure anyone lucky enough to receive one of those will treasure it! (My mother sent me a quilted postcard a year or two ago - it's definitely as dear to me as any of my sparklies!)

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
marcy said:
LittleRiver said:

I hope you get more. My ratio right now is about 7 to 1.

marcy, your ratio is not bad! I am up to 12 cards, but I also sent out a few more, for a total of 125. So I am hovering around 10 to 1.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I started sending them yesterday. I like to send them as close to christmas as I can.
Here is a photo of the print.

So far I've heard that it looks like snow and wind, snow laden trees at night (in wind), a cowboy with lasso (?), and a big mess.

xmascard2012.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Little River, we are pretty even now. I think I have about a dozen cards. You sent out a lot more than I did though. Fun.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results