shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and not sure if i told you guys but i did an order for a friend, actually two separate orders, here is a cute picture from her order of kahlua chocolate cupcakes!

annas cupcakes chocolate kahlua.jpg

lili

Ideal_Rock
Yum, those cakes look so good, especially the pineapple coconut one.
I gained 10 lbs just looking at them.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke and Mara, those look delicious
18.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 1:24:39 PM
Author: Skippy123
Freke and Mara, those look delicious
18.gif

ditto
18.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!

Here are a couple of Tres Leches cake recipes that I posted also over in Hangout. I spent so much time typing them up I didn''t want to just post them in one spot. And with all of these avid bakers over here, it made sense. If you make one-please post pics! (I''ll probably make one within the next month, but feel free to beat me to it!)

(From "The Joy of Cooking" -link)
Latin Sponge cake with three milks (tres leches)

This Latin American dessert is a simple spnge cake drenched with a sweet mixture of three types of milk and cream, which forms a rich interior sauce. It is traditionally topped with a sweet soft meringue; replace the meringue with whipped cream if you prefer.
Have all ingredients at room temperature, 68* to 70*F. Preheat the oven to 350*F (325* if the baking pan is glass). Grease one 9 x 9-inch pan or one 11 x 7-inch pan.

Sift together:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

In a large bowl, beat on medium speed until soft peaks form:
3 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)

Gradually add, beating on high speed:
1 cup sugar

Beat in 1 at a time:
3 large egg yolks

Add one-quarter of the flour mixture at a time, beating on low speed or stirring with a rubber spatula just until incorporated and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add and beat just until the mixture is smooth and evenly mixed.:
1/4 cup milk

Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake until the top springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Meanwhile combine:
1 cup heavy cream
one 12-oz can evaporated milk
one 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk

Leaving the cake in the pan, prick it with a toothpick at 1 inch intervals. Pour the milk mixture slowly over the cake, including the corners and the edges. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving or overnight.
To make the meringue topping, combine in a 2.5 quart heatproof bowl (preferably stainless steel):
2/3 cup light corn syrup
2 large egg whites

Bring about 1 inch of water to a gentle simmer in a wide deep skillet. Set the bowl of egg whites directly in the hot water. Immediately begin beating on low speed, moving the mixer all around the bowl until the mixture reaches 140*F. If you must stop beating for any reason, remove the bowl from the hot water until you can resume, to prevent the egg whites from scrambling. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes; the mixture will be billowy and hold a stiff shape. Remove the bowl from the skillet and beat for 2 to 3 more minutes until the meringue is cool. To serve, leave the cake in the pan or or slide a slim knife around the cake to detach it from the pan. Invert the cake onto a large shallow serving platter with enough of a rim to hold the excess milk that will gradually collect around the cake like a sauce. Spread or pipe the meringue topping over the cake. Cut into squares to serve.

(From "The Gourmet Cookbook") link
Three-Milk Cake with Coconut and Fresh Fruit
"Pastel de Thres Leches con Coco"
serves 6
Active time: 1 hour start to finish: 5 hours (includes chilling)
The simple, light sponge cake technically called a genoise is made for soaking up delectable syrups. In this Latino classic, it''s saturated with one made of "three milks"-sweetened condensed milk, whole milk and heavy cream-after baking. You could even argue that this is a cuatro leches, because coconut milk flavored with rum has been added to the mix, upping the wow factor. This recipe is adapted from the one served at Chicago''s Adobo Grill.

For cake
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup AP flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar

For milk syrup
1 (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup well stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup light rum

Accompaniments: unsweetened whipped cream, chopped strawberries and kiwi, and toasted coconut
Special equipment: 2 8-inch square baking pans

Make the cake: Put a rack in the middle of oven and prehead oven to 350*F. Butter one baking pan and line bottom with a square of parchment or wax paper. (***note from Liz-DO NOT USE WAX PAPER IN THIS APPLICATION-THE WAX WILL MELT INTO THE CAKE-and who wants to eat waxed cake?) Butter paper and dust with flour, knocking out excess.
Cook butter in a small saucepan over moderate heat, swirling pan occasionally, until golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and let cool, then stir in vanilla.
Sift together flour, cornstarch, and salt into another bowl and then sift again.
Combine eggs and sugar in a mixer bowl or other large metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water (do not let bowl touch water) and heat whisking constantly until lukewarm. Remove bowl from pan and beat eggs, with an electric mixer at high speed until thick, pale, and tripled in volume, about 6 minutes in a stand mixer or about 10 minutes with a handheld mixer. Sift half of flour mixture over eggs and fold in gently but thoroughly, then fold in remaining flour. Transfer 1/3 cup batter and fold butter into it until incorporated, then gently but thoroughly fold butter mixture into remaining batter.
Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake until cake is springy to the touch and top is golden, 15-17 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the milk syrup:
Whisk together all ingredients in a large glass measuring cup or bowl with a spout until combined. Transfer 1/3 cup syrup to a small bowl and reserve, refrigerated. for garnish.
Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then prick all over with a skewer or wooden pick. Run a knife around edges of pan, then invert second baking pan over cake and slip cake into it. Remove paper and prick cake all over with skewer again.
Pour milk syrup over cake and gently press with a spatula to help saturate it. Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, until most of the syrup has been absorbed, at least 4 hours.
Cut cake into 6 rectangles and transfer with spatula to plates. Drizzle the reserved chilled syrup around it. Top with whipped cream and coconut and sprinkle top and plate with fruit.

Notes: the syrup soaked cake can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

(***I''m kind of tired from typing everything, but if you have any questions, please ask. Also I don''t know whats up with the cornstarch in the second cake-I''ve never used it in a cake.)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, where did you go??? Anymore cupcake pics??
3.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 8:06:08 PM
Mara, where did you go??? Anymore cupcake pics??
3.gif
I think she's probably busy with her new cupcake business! I found her on yelp.
Congrats on your new business Mara!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 2:44:22 AM
Author: surfgirl

I think she's probably busy with her new cupcake business! I found this on yelp:

23.gif
23.gif

wow, go mara! rave reviews too... congrats girl
36.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Mara!! congrats on the new business =D

i was wondering where ud disappeared off too!!! ;-)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Mara!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That girl is probably a bakin'' fool these days!!! Way cool, congrats Mara!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heehee!! Many congrats to you Miss Mara, I couldn''t be happier for you!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock
What fantastic news, Mara...it''s been such a pleasure watching you get to this point! Rock on!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Mara, I knew you were Superwoman, yay, many congrats!!!
36.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
my first try at cream cheese frosting.

lemon cake with CC frosting and coconut....

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
and the mini cake for my sister...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha OMG i can't believe you found that surfgirl...what a little sleuth you are!!! thanks for all the sweet words gals...

well i actually have not started a 'business'...it all started with my friend who Yelped my cupcakes...and then a bunch more people did because I'd bring them to events, and then people started asking me if they could order, and so I figured well why not on the side. But I do not that many orders, thankfully, cuz I'm BUSY anyway and it is a lot of work! i actually have turned away two gals who wanted like 250 and 400 cupcakes for weddings...SO not ready for that!

so funny because i logged on here the other day and meant to post some pictures of recent stuff i've done but my computer crashed and then i got distracted (happens so often lately!) and wandered away.

i actually just got back from a cupcake bakeoff and i won 3 out of the 7 categories...it was so fun! i have pictures which i'll try to upload in the next few days.

hope you all are still baking too....love the cupcakes eva!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2008 8:42:14 PM
Author: Mara

i actually just got back from a cupcake bakeoff and i won 3 out of the 7 categories...it was so fun! i have pictures which i'll try to upload in the next few days.
AWESOME, Mara!!!!!!
36.gif

Great mini cake and cupcakes Eva, they look delicious
18.gif
18.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the bakeoff! Mara! That's very exciting!! Hoping you win many more bakeoffs in the future.
36.gif
35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
send me a dozen free samples.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 12:46:51 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Heheh me too!!!!

congrats again Mara =) ur cupcakes look awesome and im sure they taste just the same...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Please help--is there a pound cake recipe posted here on this thread? Looking for the ultimate (heehhee) cake...... Thanks!
35.gif

cheers--Sharon

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 12:46:51 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Leave it to Dancing Fire.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Mara. We know you are THE Baker!!!
35.gif
36.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Mara! I''m glad you came and checked in and that things are going so well for you!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock

canuk-gal

Please help--is there a pound cake recipe posted here on this thread? Looking for the ultimate (heehhee) cake...... Thanks!

cheers--Sharon
"People who possess great qualities, do not need to show off".

sorry no i don''t have a recipe, but i was just thinking yesterday that it would be great if there was an index page in the beginning of this thread.
listing each recipe that was submitted.
checking through 24 pages for a recipe can take a while.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2008 10:43:11 PM
Author: Eva17

canuk-gal

cheers--Sharon
''People who possess great qualities, do not need to show off''.

sorry no i don''t have a recipe, but i was just thinking yesterday that it would be great if there was an index page in the beginning of this thread.
HI:

Great idea!!
emthup.gif

cheers--Sharon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 10:50:38 PM
Author: canuk-gal

canuk-gal

cheers--Sharon

HI:

Great idea!!
emthup.gif

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, this recipe got great reviews; I have made many things from Paula Deen and they have all been yummy
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27330,00.html

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2008 11:26:21 PM

Date: 6/23/2008 10:50:38 PM
Author: canuk-gal

canuk-gal
cheers--Sharon

HI:

Great idea!!
emthup.gif

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, this recipe got great reviews; I have made many things from Paula Deen and they have all been yummy
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27330,00.html
HI:

Thanks Skippy!!!!!

P.S. I notice that some recipes have another "fat" added like buttermilk, heavy cream or sour cream to them; yet the Martha Stewart does not. Hmmmm which to try!

cheers--Sharon

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
sharon, the pound cake with sour cream is delicious.

i would imagine buttermilk would be delic too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results