The Cupcake Thread!

Share about family life. From before birth and beyond.

• 2575 posts • Page 45 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, ..., 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, ..., 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Post by DandiAndi » February 10th, 2009, 11:51 am
Date: 2/9/2009 2:17:59 PM
Author: missjaxon

Date: 2/9/2009 5:31:24 AM
Author: DandiAndi
Thanks heaps for your opinions, ladies, I really really appreciate it!

Well I asked the birthday girl, and she isn''t a fan of chocolate *gasp* and wants pink pink PINK. So, all vanilla and strawberry in hot pink foils it is! Thanks for the gorgeous idea of the candy Jas, that sounds just adorable!! I''ll have to peruse my local cake supplies shop Image

Well you can''t argue with the birthday girl! How can she not like chocolate? That is just crazy talk! lol At least now you know what she wants. Don''t forget to come back and show off those beauties.Image

HA! I know!!!!! ImageImageImage

dixie I hadn''t thought of varying the shades of pink, that''s a fantastic idea!!

Post by marcy » February 10th, 2009, 12:30 pm
Dixie, your cupcakes look delicious.  Image

I frosted my cake today and pulled up crumbs pretty bad.  I didn''t watch my time for how long it was out of the freezer; maybe I should just frost it right away.  I was just going to leave the cake as it was but my OCD got the best of me and I mixed up more frosting to put a second layer on it.  The second batch of frosting turned out a nicer shade of blue.  I frosted it again and it looks better now but the frosting is not smooth.  Aak.  I left well enough alone though.  Tips from all of you experts would be appreciated.  Do I brush off crumbs?  Do I frost it when it''s completely frozen?  Thanks.

I also mixed up the assorted colors we need for class tomorrow night.  This week I bought the big tub of icing already made instead of mixing up my own.  I wil see how it works out.  For the roses we are going to try tomorrow I bought the can that says it''s stiff frosting.  I see they have tubes of colored icing already that your tips work on; do any of you use them?  I have dye all over my hands from mixing up the different colors today so I need to pick up some gloves for that problem.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Marcy, the Cake Decorating Novice.  Image
Curbs Happen.  Sparkle on . . .

Post by dixie94 » February 10th, 2009, 12:48 pm
Marcy, thanks! As to your questions, I have no idea, sorry! I no nothing about frosting cakes but I''m sure one of these ladies does. I know I''ve seen that there are tips regarding the crumbs but obviously, my memory isn''t good enough for me to repeat them to you. As for frosting, I make my own so I''m not sure about the pre-made stuff. As for using it to learn about decorating, I''m sure that''s fine. You can always make your own later, if it turns out you don''t like the taste and/or consistency of the pre-made. Good luck and post some pics if you feel like it!

DandiAndi, I found some hot pink sugar at the cake decorating store which would be really cute for your cupcakes. Take pics when you''re done!!

I''m excited about my Vday orders! I''m sure I will end up spending a lot of time experimenting with designs but it should be fun. Jas, did you make any more fondant toppers? I still haven''t tried that yet. I think I will buy some fondant after my class b/c they provide a small discount. I haven''t found any stamps or cutters to use yet b/c the ones at the store are too expensive for me!
Steph, made any cupcakes lately?

Post by marcy » February 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm
Thanks Dixie.  There is no reason I can''t make my own frosting I just thought I''d try the tub of icing since I had a 40% off coupon.  I don''t want to try the icing taste wise - I have a sweet tooth I don''t want to start feeding.  LOL!

Post by FrekeChild » February 10th, 2009, 1:50 pm
...I don''t like chocolate either...

And I have had somewhere around 3-4 hours of sleep, and less than 150 calories today, otherwise I''d answer your questions Marcy. I''ll be back later if that''s ok?

"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain

Post by dixie94 » February 10th, 2009, 1:56 pm
Date: 2/10/2009 6:48:49 PM
Author: dixie94
I no nothing about frosting cakes but I''m sure one of these ladies does.

Just wanted to say, excuse my spelling error above!!!

Post by dixie94 » February 10th, 2009, 1:57 pm
40% off coupon.. that''s great! I would''ve bought the tub of icing too!

Post by marcy » February 10th, 2009, 2:17 pm
Freke, no worries.  Eat and get some sleep.  I am just beginning this so I have a LOT to learn.  Whenever you get time I'd appreciate your help and tips. 

Dixie, our local Micheals and Hobby Lobby have 40% off one item coupons all the time.  The HL you can print out and buy something every day with them. Image

Post by fleur-de-lis » February 10th, 2009, 3:18 pm
Date: 2/10/2009 6:30:31 PM
Author: marcyc
Dixie, your cupcakes look delicious. Image

I frosted my cake today and pulled up crumbs pretty bad. I didn''t watch my time for how long it was out of the freezer; maybe I should just frost it right away. I was just going to leave the cake as it was but my OCD got the best of me and I mixed up more frosting to put a second layer on it. The second batch of frosting turned out a nicer shade of blue. I frosted it again and it looks better now but the frosting is not smooth. Aak. I left well enough alone though. Tips from all of you experts would be appreciated. Do I brush off crumbs? Do I frost it when it''s completely frozen? Thanks.

Hi Marcyc,

I was taught to take a small portion of the frosting and *lightly* frost the cake with a thin layer. Putting frosting on cake pulls up some cake bits, so don''t fight it and allow what little crumbs pull up and stick, well, pull up and stick in this prep layer. (Obviously try keeping it to a minimum, but you know what I mean!) Then, put the scantly frosted cakes in the fridge for an hour to harden/solidify the thin layer of "protecting, crumb-sealing" of frosting; it will also cement the errant crumbs in this, err, "undergarment of frosting". Remove after an hour and frost properly with the remaining (bulk of) frosting. Voila! A frosted cake without crumbs!

f-d-l

Post by marcy » February 10th, 2009, 3:44 pm
Date: 2/10/2009 9:18:22 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

Date: 2/10/2009 6:30:31 PM
Dixie, your cupcakes look delicious. Image

I frosted my cake today and pulled up crumbs pretty bad. I didn''t watch my time for how long it was out of the freezer; maybe I should just frost it right away. I was just going to leave the cake as it was but my OCD got the best of me and I mixed up more frosting to put a second layer on it. The second batch of frosting turned out a nicer shade of blue. I frosted it again and it looks better now but the frosting is not smooth. Aak. I left well enough alone though. Tips from all of you experts would be appreciated. Do I brush off crumbs? Do I frost it when it''s completely frozen? Thanks.

Hi Marcyc,

I was taught to take a small portion of the frosting and *lightly* frost the cake with a thin layer. Putting frosting on cake pulls up some cake bits, so don''t fight it and allow what little crumbs pull up and stick, well, pull up and stick in this prep layer. (Obviously try keeping it to a minimum, but you know what I mean!) Then, put the scantly frosted cakes in the fridge for an hour to harden/solidify the thin layer of ''protecting, crumb-sealing'' of frosting; it will also cement the errant crumbs in this, err, ''undergarment of frosting''. Remove after an hour and frost properly with the remaining (bulk of) frosting. Voila! A frosted cake without crumbs!

f-d-l
F-D-L that makes perfect sense.  I will try that next time.  I was looking ahead to lesson 3 and we have our choice of cupcakes or a round cake.  I might try cupcakes next week.  I teach a science class for a local community college.  I think I am doing more homework for my cake class than they have to do for mine.  LOL!  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Post by SanDiegoLady » February 10th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Tomorrow is our Communications Bake Sale.. I desperately wanted to make a *new* flavor cuppie.. guess what was requested by several people.. Snickerdoodle cuppies.. again.  Image

Apparently I''m a victim of my own success. lol

I was rather hoping to try one of the other recipes posted early on in the thread (very early.. like the red velvet) Image HELLO? Valentines Day! lol But nooooo... Image

Hugs to all :)

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices...

JK Rowling

Post by Jas12 » February 11th, 2009, 4:27 am
San diego --damn, i need to try one of those snickerdoodle cuppies--they are ledgendary Imagemaybe u can top them with a little cinnamon heart for some festive cheer

Dixie--can''t wait to see your v-day creations--i am doing heart shaped cuppies (with a dense almost brownie like consistency) and a ganache topping with white chocolate swirl . I''ll post pics later this week, i am making a new batch tonight once the baby is in bed.

Post by marcy » February 11th, 2009, 6:59 pm
Okay, here is my first cake.  My last "O" got messed up.
Attachments
mccake.jpg
mccake.jpg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 108 times

Post by JulieN » February 11th, 2009, 7:34 pm
marcy, that''s your first cake EVER?

Post by marcy » February 11th, 2009, 7:36 pm
Date: 2/12/2009 1:34:15 AM
Author: JulieN
marcy, that''s your first cake EVER?
Yes as far as decorating.  I have baked cakes and cookies forever but have never tried to decorate something before.

Post by Skippy » February 12th, 2009, 1:22 am
Date: 2/12/2009 12:59:59 AM
Okay, here is my first cake. My last 'O' got messed up.

Oh wow, love it; it looks fabulous!!!ImageImage  Looks like you are having a great time at your cake decorating classImage
Skippy

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/1896249wrr738gi7w.gif

"The only things that stand between a person and what they want in life are the will to try it, and the faith to believe it's possible" Rich Devos

Post by appletini » February 12th, 2009, 2:45 am
Marcy it looks great!

Post by SanDiegoLady » February 12th, 2009, 8:23 am
Date: 2/11/2009 10:27:33 AM
Author: Jas12
San diego --damn, i need to try one of those snickerdoodle cuppies--they are ledgendary Imagemaybe u can top them with a little cinnamon heart for some festive cheer

Dixie--can't wait to see your v-day creations--i am doing heart shaped cuppies (with a dense almost brownie like consistency) and a ganache topping with white chocolate swirl . I'll post pics later this week, i am making a new batch tonight once the baby is in bed.

I did cinnamon sugar sprinkles :) Its wayyy yummy this way Image

JK Rowling

Post by SanDiegoLady » February 12th, 2009, 8:25 am
Date: 2/12/2009 12:59:59 AM
Okay, here is my first cake. My last ''O'' got messed up.

TOTALLY CUTE!

JK Rowling

Post by Jas12 » February 12th, 2009, 3:41 pm
Marcy--that is an awesome job for your first time--heck, it is awesome even if it was your 20th time--bravo!

So, i am kinda lazy lately--i usually LUV baking but for some reason i''ve been xtra tired at night so i only finished my v-day stuff out of guilt for buying all the stuff. I am going to visit my class tomorrow ( i teach but i am on mat leave) and i promised a treat--so i was planning to do these pretty ganache brownie hearts but they were taking toooo long so i just whipped up an icing.
Here''s a pic of some of the pretty hearts which i am going to reserve for friends and some brownie/cupcakes....

Attachments
heartbrownie3.jpg
heartbrownie3.jpg (74.3 KiB) Viewed 108 times

Post by Jas12 » February 12th, 2009, 3:44 pm
....and the cuppies i did for the 30th b-day i went too--unfortunately i forgot to take a good picture, you can''t really see the embossed "30" but they were cute. I think they looked better in personImage
Attachments
30cuppie.jpg
30cuppie.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 108 times

Post by lili » February 12th, 2009, 6:26 pm
Wow Jas12, you are a regular Betty Crocker.
That heart ganache looked so professional -- as are your cuppies.
Can you share the recipe for that?

Post by marcy » February 12th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Thanks Skippy, Appletini, San Diego Lady and Jas12. 

Jas, your brownie hearts and cupcakes look divine.

Post by SanDiegoLady » February 13th, 2009, 7:54 am
Date: 2/12/2009 9:44:47 PM
....and the cuppies i did for the 30th b-day i went too--unfortunately i forgot to take a good picture, you can''t really see the embossed ''30'' but they were cute. I think they looked better in personImage

Those are fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

JK Rowling

Post by Missjaxon » February 13th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Date: 2/12/2009 9:41:33 PM
Marcy--that is an awesome job for your first time--heck, it is awesome even if it was your 20th time--bravo!

So, i am kinda lazy lately--i usually LUV baking but for some reason i''ve been xtra tired at night so i only finished my v-day stuff out of guilt for buying all the stuff. I am going to visit my class tomorrow ( i teach but i am on mat leave) and i promised a treat--so i was planning to do these pretty ganache brownie hearts but they were taking toooo long so i just whipped up an icing.

Here''s a pic of some of the pretty hearts which i am going to reserve for friends and some brownie/cupcakes....

marcy your cake looks absolutely adorable! Good Job!Image You did amazing for your first cake. I have been too intimadated to try a cake. Maybe for my Fiance''s 25th, I''ll try.

Mmmmm jas... those look delicious!

I love popping in and seeing all of you ladies beautiful creations! YummyImage

Post by marcy » February 13th, 2009, 6:37 pm
Thanks Missjaxon.  You should try a cake for your FI''s birthday.  He would LOVE it.

Post by DandiAndi » February 14th, 2009, 3:44 pm
Well, the birthday girl has decided to my delight that she DOES want half chocolate/peppermint, half vanilla/strawberry for her cupcake tree! I made some choc mint ones today, I've been making a practice batch every weekend until the big day. Oh the pressure! They were pretty delicious. I should have kept a few for her to try, but DH and I had friends over this morning and we kinda... ate them all Image

Hubby often takes whatever is left over of a batch to work with him to share with the boys. They have started giving him money for me to supply them with treats every Monday!! Image How hilarious! I told them forget the cash, I just want feedback! Image
Attachments
Cuppie 001.jpg
Cuppie 001.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 108 times

Post by DandiAndi » February 14th, 2009, 3:45 pm
I think I''m very slowly getting a handle on this piping thing. The Wilton 1m tip really helps get those nice big fat swirls I love so much (thanks for the idea Mara!!) Image
Attachments
Cuppie 002.jpg
Cuppie 002.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 108 times

Post by SanDiegoLady » February 14th, 2009, 8:41 pm
Date: 2/14/2009 9:44:05 PM
Author: DandiAndi
Well, the birthday girl has decided to my delight that she DOES want half chocolate/peppermint, half vanilla/strawberry for her cupcake tree! I made some choc mint ones today, I''ve been making a practice batch every weekend until the big day. Oh the pressure! They were pretty delicious. I should have kept a few for her to try, but DH and I had friends over this morning and we kinda... ate them all Image

Hubby often takes whatever is left over of a batch to work with him to share with the boys. They have started giving him money for me to supply them with treats every Monday!! Image How hilarious! I told them forget the cash, I just want feedback! Image

VERY PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JK Rowling

Post by DandiAndi » February 14th, 2009, 11:10 pm
Date: 2/15/2009 2:41:53 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

VERY PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou my sweet!! Image

2575 posts • Page 45 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, ..., 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, ..., 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86

« Return to Family, Home & Health