carat
color
clarity

Katy Perry on Seasame Street

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
TravelingGal said:
I think this is sort of the issue. We are parents want everything (I use "everything" as a generalization) to be innocent for our kids. But our kids ARE innocent, so this is more about us than it is about them.

NONONONO... this is not about protecting the innocence for me. Our kids watch KP dressed like that and they LEARN something about women and how they should dress and what they are worth. Not on an explicit level at 2 years old, but over time these messages sink in and teach them inportant things about social roles, and values.

I am with jas, I don't care about her showing her body if it is for a reason and not just to be sexy... and that second shot does nothing to convince me that the outfit is not skanky. Look at her armpit and where her breast starts, then look how faaaar below it the actual dress starts. If you would not wear it to work or to school then I think it is silly to wear on SS (assuming you are not a hooker going to hooker school or course).

If I was watching that with my son I would frankly change the channel.

I agree with what you are all saying. I'm not a fan out the outfit, and I also think it's inappropriate for the reasons you describe. But those are MY values and YOUR values. Some parents don't care. They have THEIR values. My point is don't say it's inappropriate because your kid actually cares at that moment (or is popping a B*ner in the case of what MP heard on the radio). The kids are enjoying the show and I would dare to venture that most toddlers don't notice the cleavage. It's the adults who care and have an agenda, which is fine. Who else to protect and set the standards we want for our kids, I get it...

And your mother was obviously more evolved than my mom. I think I got Barbie because she was on sale. :tongue:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
janinegirly said:
But if it is about us, isn't it also about "us" trying to protect children's environments from media's attempt to send subconscious messages through every medium possible in order to garner more reaction. If not PBS (which does not have adverstising), certainly Katy Perry. It's just unnecessary and not the appropriate forum for it. Unlike Barbie and Disney characters (which still stays tasteful and designed to represent what is considered beautiful in society at the time) she is a live person who promotes a persona built around catchy songs and being overtly sexual. She's said many times it's a reaction to her upbringing. Totally fine, but why inject it into little kidde programming? It's not just the cleavage, it's the illfitting top -- maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't believe much in the media is oversight, it's usually well thought out. I swear I'm not a total prude, just trying to explain my view.

Having said that the 2nd shot with Elmo isn't as bad as the initial link.

I don't think the little mermaid outfit is tasteful at all! She had to have a brazillian to rock that low cut fish tail! :Up_to_something:

I do agree that I really don't know what SS execs were thinking when they let her on with that outfit (or maybe they were thinking with something else). I've seen other rock stars on kid shows that covered up but still fun and funky. And again, I think it's fine to protest for the reason you mentioned. I'm just making a point to some of the reasoning I've read on other news message boards.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
I agree with what you are all saying. I'm not a fan out the outfit, and I also think it's inappropriate for the reasons you describe. But those are MY values and YOUR values. Some parents don't care. They have THEIR values. My point is don't say it's inappropriate because your kid actually cares at that moment (or is popping a B*ner in the case of what MP heard on the radio). The kids are enjoying the show and I would dare to venture that most toddlers don't notice the cleavage. It's the adults who care and have an agenda, which is fine. Who else to protect and set the standards we want for our kids, I get it...

And your mother was obviously more evolved than my mom. I think I got Barbie because she was on sale. :tongue:

I don't understand this point here?

I do think they notice, they are sponges and they notice that women dress that way, and form theories about what it means. Good lord, my son tries to copy everything we do... you don't think little girls will want to dress JUST like KP?

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I saw that video and I immediately though "Come on, THAT'S the only thing she could think of to wear on Sesame Street?"

I'm no prude in any way, but it's just common sense to cover up a little when you're on a show for preschoolers. Out of respect. To me, being asked to do SS is an honor, so many world class actors and musicians have been on the show. I like Katy Perry, but it's a shame that she couldn't have used a little common sense in her wardrobe choice.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
TravelingGal said:

I do think they notice, they are sponges and they notice that women dress that way, and form theories about what it means. Good lord, my son tries to copy everything we do... you don't think little girls will want to dress JUST like KP?

Maybe I think kids are more innocent, because no, I don't think my 2 year old is going to want to dress like KP because she sees boobies. I think she might want a green princessy outfit, in which case she'll look like tinkerbell because she won't have the hooters to fill it. It's a losing battle if I want to block off everything that looks slutty in the world including what I imagine her peers will dress like when they get a little older because some parents don't give a crap. I'll focus on (in my perfect world) teach my kid some self respect regardless of what she sees around her.

Now, I don't have a 5 year old boy, so my context is what I know...a 2 year old girl.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Well, at the end of the day we as parents have the final say because we can choose to turn the tv off if we find something inappropriate. I do think the dress is too revealing when the main audience is 2 and 3 year olds though. I mean, I would have respected Katy Perry more if she would have gone against the talking heads and said "hey, um this is a show for 2 year olds, why do you have me dressed like I'm heading to the club?" I suppose I could have used it as a teaching moment with my 5 year old son and said "hey, any girl dressed like this, please don't bring home to meet me", but since he's too cool to watch SS, it is a moot point anyway :rodent: .

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
Dreamer_D said:
TravelingGal said:

Maybe I think kids are more innocent, because no, I don't think my 2 year old is going to want to dress like KP because she sees boobies. I think she might want a green princessy outfit, in which case she'll look like tinkerbell because she won't have the hooters to fill it. It's a losing battle if I want to block off everything that looks slutty in the world including what I imagine her peers will dress like when they get a little older because some parents don't give a crap. I'll focus on (in my perfect world) teach my kid some self respect regardless of what she sees around her.

Now, I don't have a 5 year old boy, so my context is what I know...a 2 year old girl.

Not because of the boobies will they want to dress like her, they will want to dress like her because she is on SS and she is cool, and thus she might want to show her own "boobies"...

And now I will let it drop. 8) Silly seasame street, always causing arguments and controvery.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
TravelingGal said:
Dreamer_D said:
TravelingGal said:

I dunno Dreamer...I didn't want to show my boobies when I was growing up (especially in the tween and teenage years) because I saw cleavage, did you? I mean, I think the bigger problem is that in order to dress sexy, you'd better have an awesome body. I had the typical teenage "my body sucks" mentality, so the more coverage for me, the better.

Honestly, these days I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that girls have all sorts of bits hanging out, regardless of whether it actually looks good.

Not because of the boobies will they want to dress like her, they will want to dress like her because she is on SS and she is cool, and thus she might want to show her own "boobies"...

And now I will let it drop. 8) Silly seasame street, always causing arguments and controvery.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ever see Destiny's Child (Beyonce) on Sesame St, or Alicia Keyes? What I thought was so refreshing it that in both cases they are wearing tee shirts and jeans with their faces looking natural. they look just like regular (albit attractive) people. I think that's a good, refreshing thing for chldren to see. Someone dropped the ball in this case.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I watched the video and found it to be really really cute and entertaining -- but the bouncing of her perky breasts as she runs after Elmo is quite distracting! Whether individuals find it offensive or not, surely someone at SS should have realized this would create a big controversy. All they had to do was change the outfit so that the neckline was where Tinkerbell's is and this would have been a hit with kids and parents alike. Katy's expressions are wonderful and the tune is so catchy -- now it is wasted.

As for more revealing cartoon characters: there *was* huge controversy around Ariel, as I recall. And cartoon boobies don't bounce when the cartoon is running...

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FL Steph said:
... I suppose I could have used it as a teaching moment with my 5 year old son and said "hey, any girl dressed like this, please don't bring home to meet me", but since he's too cool to watch SS, it is a moot point anyway :rodent: .

LOLed at this...always look for the teaching moment!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whereas I look at this, and while I don't have much of a problem with the outfit, I think the subtext of the song, with Katy having to chase Elmo, and Elmo not realizing her frustration, is likely to contribute to future LIWitis .... :rodent:

Seriously, though, it's an oddly grown-up song for "Sesame Street" - has it changed *that* much, or is this one of Perry's hits, adapted for the show?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dude this was all over the news tonight. I didn't think anything was wrong with her dress... it looks like tinkerbell. I think it's funny how bent out of shape people get over something like this, especially when parents of little girls were letting them dress like britney spears a few years ago. Those pre-teens are a lot more susceptible to bad influences than 2-4 yr olds watching SS.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I hope these kids never go to the beach or to a wedding where they might get aroused. I've seen bridal gowns here on PS that show more breast and cleavage than Katy is showing.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty said:
Dude this was all over the news tonight. I didn't think anything was wrong with her dress... it looks like tinkerbell. I think it's funny how bent out of shape people get over something like this, especially when parents of little girls were letting them dress like britney spears a few years ago. Those pre-teens are a lot more susceptible to bad influences than 2-4 yr olds watching SS.

I suspect that the parents who allow their teen to dress like britney spears would probably not take issue with kate perry's dress on SS. I know I certainly wouldn't allow my teen to dress like a pop star to school.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I phrased that wrong. I'm just surprised at the amount of backlash at katy perry. Dont recall britney being such a big deal, even tho i was horrified at the sexualized pre-teens back then. Unless there was and I totally missed it.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty said:
I phrased that wrong. I'm just surprised at the amount of backlash at katy perry. Dont recall britney being such a big deal, even tho i was horrified at the sexualized pre-teens back then. Unless there was and I totally missed it.
I think the backlash is the forum....Seasame Street, which is a show for preschoolers, should be one of the few shows parents can turn the tv to and know that there won't be any violence, bad words, or sexual images. But, just goes to show that parents have to monitor absolutely everything their children tune into and decide if it's appropriate for their own children.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Didn't bother me at all, but then nudity in general doesn't worry me - heck even I go topless on the beach if it's warm enough. I'm far more concerned about Daisy seeing too much violence on TV than a pretty girl's boobies. She just thinks they are a food source anyway :bigsmile: (My DH did actually get up and come over to have a look when I put the You-tube video on though...)

I do admit to thinking that the dress didn't look that comfortable to wear though, and that her boobs didn't move much when she was running around :confused:

Oh, and I didn't have Barbie - I had the British version: Sindy who had a far smaller bosom and wore knickers... my sister and I were shocked when she was given Barbie of the pneumatic breasts and nay drawers... :-o Both spent far more time than was healthy in the clutches of Action Man (do you guys have him?)...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it is not the boobies I object to, but the context. Not only SS, but I would be equally appalled at a woman being depicted in such a sexualized manner in any other non-sexual context: school, court, housework etc. Context is everything. It bugs me when women are protrayed a sexual objects in every.single.darn.context in life, including SS.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
Yes, it is not the boobies I object to, but the context. Not only SS, but I would be equally appalled at a woman being depicted in such a sexualized manner in any other non-sexual context: school, court, housework etc. Context is everything. It bugs me when women are protrayed a sexual objects in every.single.darn.context in life, including SS.

This is what I was trying to say in my earlier posts.

I like boobs. Mine are both a food source and for funsies. But I don't go onstage to perform for kids and try to highlight them in a non-functional way as part of my "talent." I would hope my talent/skills/ability can be focused on without the gals being part of the picture.

Sometimes I think I should have come of age in the 70s. Then I remember -- pantsuits.

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
Kind of off topic, but maybe not. Before June of this year I hadn't watched "kid tv" for twenty or so years and I was surprised how low the bar has been set. Most of it is adult tv using younger actors or animation. I guess the days of using examples of honesty, good morals, hard work and family values in "kid tv" are gone. Where is today's Leave it to Beaver when I need it? I maybe old, but if I remember it correctly one day I was holding a newborn, the next day was the first day of kindergarten. The day after that was football practice, the day after that I stood in the driveway and watched him drive away to college. Now he's married and lives a few miles away. They grow up way to fast all by themselves. Yes, I am old.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know whether it was wrong or not for Sesame Street to dress this woman up like this, BUT she reminds me of professional ice skaters. I remember watching professional ice skating as a child and deciding that I would never become an ice skater because I didn't want to have to move around so much in front of so many people in what looked like a swimsuit.

I wonder if the people who are offended by this woman's outfit on SS also do not allow their children to watch professional ice skating. OR, is it the context that's most offensive?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was not the best choice of dresses - I mean, c'mon, would another half inch or so of fabric have killed them? But I was really saddened by the decision because looking at the stills, it looked like Katy was really in the moment. Her smile is genuine; she's thrilled to be there with Elmo entertaining the kids. Kids would have noticed and reacted to that engagement, not a little bit of (ahem) little cleavage.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
I don't know whether it was wrong or not for Sesame Street to dress this woman up like this, BUT she reminds me of professional ice skaters. I remember watching professional ice skating as a child and deciding that I would never become an ice skater because I didn't want to have to move around so much in front of so many people in what looked like a swimsuit.

I wonder if the people who are offended by this woman's outfit on SS also do not allow their children to watch professional ice skating. OR, is it the context that's most offensive?
Haven, I think it's all about expectations...with ice skating, the parents know the women dress in next to nothing and can decide beforehand if they are comfortable with their children watching it or not. You don't usually have to make those kind of judgement calls while watching SS, so in my opinion, that is the difference.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Ha, ha Bliss....I can't believe that you can remember that line from "Carrie" That's an old movie. I loved that movie.

I saw the Katy Perry clip. She doesn't even have much cleavage. I don't get the uproar. I think some people simply object to Katy Perry and by extension...her being on SS. (I didn't see the mermaid outfit, though)

She kissed a girl and she like it...she's engaged to a controversial celebrity...and she's number one on the charts. So many reasons to flame her.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
looks like KP's having alot of fun with it--def boosting her sales I'm sure! btw I think this clip is hilarious--but it's all about context/audience like everyone says. Leave SS for the toddlers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qP81EElmWY

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I just saw the video... :-o the bouncing is a bit much. Live, I feel it is very inappropriate.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
TravelingGal said:
I think this is sort of the issue. We are parents want everything (I use "everything" as a generalization) to be innocent for our kids. But our kids ARE innocent, so this is more about us than it is about them.

NONONONO... this is not about protecting the innocence for me. Our kids watch KP dressed like that and they LEARN something about women and how they should dress and what they are worth. Not on an explicit level at 2 years old, but over time these messages sink in and teach them inportant things about social roles, and values.

I am with jas, I don't care about her showing her body if it is for a reason and not just to be sexy... and that second shot does nothing to convince me that the outfit is not skanky. Look at her armpit and where her breast starts, then look how faaaar below it the actual dress starts. If you would not wear it to work or to school then I think it is silly to wear on SS (assuming you are not a hooker going to hooker school or course).

If I was watching that with my son I would frankly change the channel.

Normally, I try to stay away from topics that express opinions on controversial topics, but here goes.

1. Katy Perry's clothes are just that, clothes. And some people are, so freaking annoying with their pruddishness. I don't know if that even correctly expresses how annoying I find some parents to be. I think it kind of borderlines on self righteousness.

ETA: Perry always dresses like that, so I wasn't even surprised. I've seen her with much less on.

2. I love my kids and they're the most important people in my life. There's nothing I wouldn't do for them, and I totally want the best for them. HOWEVER, one thing I've been told by people much older and wiser than myself is to never put your kids on a pedestal. And even though your kids are special to you, in the greater scheme of things, your kid is not the most important kid in the world.

3. I like Katy Perry a whole lot more than some of those Disney Channel girls. I'm not saying I want her to be a role model for my daughter, but I think she comes off a lot better than Miley Cyrus or Vanessa Hudgens. So Katy wears revealing clothes, at least we know what we're getting. Miley and Hudgens are what I call undercover sluts, and those are the worst kind.

Sort of off topic, but it's like people just can't let things be anymore. Someone was telling me about people complaining to HGTV because one of their hosts has tats on his arms. Big freaking whoop, if you don't like it, don't watch. I don't personally like tats, but everyone has the choice of what they want to do with their body.

I think they should invite Kathy Griffin or maybe Sarah Silverman on SS. Then people might have something to complain about.

And I fully realize my comments probably won't go over very well, but I like to think of myself as a realist, and I call it like I see it.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
pennquaker09 said:
3. I like Katy Perry a whole lot more than some of those Disney Channel girls. I'm not saying I want her to be a role model for my daughter, but I think she comes off a lot better than Miley Cyrus or Vanessa Hudgens. So Katy wears revealing clothes, at least we know what we're getting. Miley and Hudgens are what I call undercover sluts, and those are the worst kind.

remember hudgens' nudie pics scandal? she was what, 15 at the time she sexted her bf?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results