carat
color
clarity

Any baby wearing parents here?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fisherofmengirly|1360292679|3374925 said:
I think I've decided on a ring sling (no clue where to get it, though...) and a k'tan breeze. :)
My ring sling came from MilkyBaby50 on Etsy (I hope it's ok to say that here!) It was a gift, but I don't think the giver had any issues with them.

Haven, I love the Chimparoo wrap on you! You're getting looks because you're ADORABLE, btw, not because people are ooked out by babywearing! Gosh, I've worn Alex at Wal-Mart here in the southern part of the Midwest and no one bats an eye. They're probably thinking, "there goes another one of those hippies." My husband hasn't reported any strange looks, either, but he has said that someone mistook him for A's grandfather one day. He was a little discouraged by that. But lots of people have babies when they're very young here and I pointed out to him that the person who made the comment probably just didn't know better. Poor guy. Anyway, neither of us have felt strange while wearing Alex--our babywearing adventures have all been positive!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
What's the oldest/heaviest you all would wear your kids? I have an Ergo, which if I recall correctly, is rated to 40lbs. My daughter is 40 lbs and she simply is too heavy for me to wear her. She's also 4.5 so no real need to wear her, but was just wondering when other people to stop. Her weight is too much for my hip flexors. I can still fairly comfortably wear my almost 3 year old, but he's 30lbs.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
LS--I think I'll wear B as long as we can both comfortably do it.

I bought a Lucky Baby wrap on sale from Zulily and I really like it. It has less fabric than the Moby, and I think it would make an easier first wrap for anyone new to babywearing. It's stretches out a bit more than the Moby, so you have to tie it a bit tighter at first. luckybabywrap_copy.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so happy to see all the baby wearing going on here :)

Well here is a picture with the performance ergo-which I've returned. I wanted something light weight that worked well in the hot Canadian summers but alas-the carrier comes up to high (and I have a very big/tall son) and my son hates it covering half his face as well as the shoulder pads are contoured making it impossible for a comfortable hip carry. Up here Ergos aren't free-this cost me w/tax 160.00 and I'm not paying that kind of money for something that I can only use as a back carry (which he didn't care much for the one time I tried it) so I'm doing research on getting either the Ergo sport or the original. I wish they'd put a zipper on the original so we can carry more things and contain the hood better. They only do exchanges/store credits and so I can't get a used on on kijiji (it was a gift otherwise I would have since I can get one for 80.00 then not feel so icky about having 160.00 back carrier). To top it off I have a mai tei that is a larger size I plan on using to back carry anyways. So I'm not sure what to do.

Haven-I LOVE that new carrier. It's adorable! We're going to be in Chicago in July and I'd love to g2g and meet you if your interested :) At one point a long while ago you were on FB and we were friends but I know you switched things up a bit so I'm not sure how to get in touch with you but our boys are close to the same age if your interested. Maybe we can do the zoo or the Shed aquarium? We also haven't done the Navy pier :sun:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to share an awesome mei tai carrier company that's in the USA. They make custom carriers (you can even choose a zippy option to have the panels be interchangeable and you can send in your own fabric or photo fabric/etc) for a very reasonable price-starting at 85.00!

http://meitaibaby.com/index.html

I also wanted to share a DIY babywearing poncho-since everything I've found is crazy expensive. I'm hopefully going to try mine out tonight if I can get to the fabric store-best part it's NO SEW!

http://meitaibaby.com/index.html

http://magiccityslingers.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/no-sew-babywearing-fleece-poncho-with-fringe-revised/

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to mention here that I'm in a group that does coop orders of baby products-anything from cloth diapers (including fuzzibunni's/etc) to slings to melissa and doug toys/etc. If anyone wants to join that group let me know. We have to become friends on FB and then I can add you to the group-then you can unfriend me if you want to lol.

They are probably going to do an order of the mei tai baby carriers above. If we get 20 carriers its a 30% discount. Let me know if there's any interest!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm wearing B in a Mei Tai Baby right now!!!! I wish I had seen this post before I ordered it! :cheeky: They sent me business cards with a 20% off discount code on the back, and I wish I had seen THAT before I ordered, too.

I really like this mei tai. It's very well made. I wish I had ordered the snap tab extender, too.

dsc_0204.jpg
new_mei_tai_from_mei_tai_baby_.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
VL--That poncho looks awesome!
I got a bit scared with the FB stuff a while ago and scaled back my account. I hope you understand. I'd love a July GTG, though!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I used the Baby Bjorn with my babies and "wore" them all the time. I didn't (and still don't) buy into the theories that the Bjorn is somehow "harmful" to hips, etc. It was a wonderful carrier a I passed it down to my sister who has used it to carry her babes as well.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1362613216|3398416 said:
I used the Baby Bjorn with my babies and "wore" them all the time. I didn't (and still don't) buy into the theories that the Bjorn is somehow "harmful" to hips, etc. It was a wonderful carrier a I passed it down to my sister who has used it to carry her babes as well.
Here is a link that explains why carriers like the baby Bjorn are harmful to the hips.
http://www.hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-carriers-seats-and-other-equipment/
Besides being potentially harmful, they are aren't recommended because they are not as comfortable for baby. Think about it: all the force in a Bjorn is applied to the small area just below the crotch. Carriers that put baby in a deep seated position distribute the force across a much larger area, therefore reducing the pressure put on baby.

I mean, which would you rather sit in: a swing that holds you by your crotch only, or one with a wide seat? I know my preference.

For anyone reading this who is new to baby wearing, please consider this before you buy a carrier.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1362669126|3399003 said:
Here is a link that explains why carriers like the baby Bjorn are harmful to the hips.
http://www.hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-carriers-seats-and-other-equipment/
Besides being potentially harmful, they are aren't recommended because they are not as comfortable for baby. Think about it: all the force in a Bjorn is applied to the small area just below the crotch. Carriers that put baby in a deep seated position distribute the force across a much larger area, therefore reducing the pressure put on baby.

I mean, which would you rather sit in: a swing that holds you by your crotch only, or one with a wide seat? I know my preference.

For anyone reading this who is new to baby wearing, please consider this before you buy a carrier.

I've seen the information, thanks (it's readily available on the internet). I can respect your opinions on the Bjorn, but I disagree. I did my own research and consulted with my pediatrician and concluded that the Bjorn is not "harmful" to hips, etc. I did think about it and my children were perfectly comfortable & safe in the Bjorn - I had a baby with colic and the only comfort was wearing her in the Bjorn all day/every day. If a baby is uncomfortable, they will let you know. Rather than insist parents conform to my opinions on a carrier, I would rather encourage them to do their own research and form their own opinions about which carrier is best for them.
This has some interesting info (and it's not necessarily "for" or "against" the Bjorn, but it offers info and asks parents to use their own judgement on the matter, which I advocate as well) - and read the comments below the article:
http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/01/25/will-the-babybjorn-endanger-your-infants-health/

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1362679594|3399186 said:
Haven|1362669126|3399003 said:

I've seen the information, thanks (it's readily available on the internet). I can respect your opinions on the Bjorn, but I disagree. I did my own research and consulted with my pediatrician and concluded that the Bjorn is not "harmful" to hips, etc. I did think about it and my children were perfectly comfortable & safe in the Bjorn - I had a baby with colic and the only comfort was wearing her in the Bjorn all day/every day. If a baby is uncomfortable, they will let you know. Rather than insist parents conform to my opinions on a carrier, I would rather encourage them to do their own research and form their own opinions about which carrier is best for them.
This has some interesting info (and it's not necessarily "for" or "against" the Bjorn, but it offers info and asks parents to use their own judgement on the matter, which I advocate as well) - and read the comments below the article:
http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/01/25/will-the-babybjorn-endanger-your-infants-health/
Momhappy--I'm going to go out on a limb and say, based on the first line of your post, you're upset by my response; I'm sorry if my response upset you. That wasn't my intent. I have nothing to gain if people avoid the Bjorn. PS is a diamond consumer information site, and that spirit bleeds into other forums on the site, including this one. I'm just sharing information, as are you.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Nope, not upset at all, haven:) Like I said before, I can respect your opinions, I just don't agree with them. I simply advocate that parents do their own research and form their own opinions. Like you, I have nothing to gain, just sharing my experience.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven-I totally understand the FB thing but idk how to contact you for a G2G? Are you in contact on there with anyone in the group still that way we can exchange emails?

There are also babywearing groups on there-a swap group and a DIY group. It's pretty easy (haven't tried it yet) if you can sew to make RS and others.

My newest wrap (returned the ergo) is a girasol rainbow wrap I'm having converted into a MT. They are called WCMT and there are great sites to have them made or bought.

Here is the wrap I just got from the swap.
http://shop.risaroo.com/Girasol-Northern-Lights-Wrap-Conversion-RS-NL-RS.htm

I'm also linking to a great conversion site
http://www.obimama.com/

Mine is the first one and I'm making it into the 2nd photo.

gnlw.jpg

64429_10100298415973907_1904152782_n.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Love the fabric, vintage lover:)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
VL--That wrap is gorgeous! I love the mei tai conversion, it is going to be stunning!

I don't think I'm in contact with anyone from the group over there, but I am in contact with some PSers on Goodreads. I'll see if anyone can send me an invite to the group.

Are you on Goodreads? Hmmm, this is always so difficult! I'll figure it out . . . :cheeky:

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies can you look at this carrier for me? Please?
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12268633
It's a cheaper carrier from infantino (I had one carrier from infantino in the past I didn't like) but it looks good to me as far as the width of the straps and the reviews indicate it worked for short people like me. I'd like to have a couple options to choose from without making a big financial commitment right now. I have an ergo, a peanut shell sling (which I'm kind of scared of now due to some stuff I read about babies being too scrunched) and have a moby back in the Philippines but I never gained confidence with that. This one didn't look too difficult to use...see anything negative that jumps out at you? Thanks in advance :)
I forgot to say- I'm having twins and my older son was only 6 lb 13 oz so I'm not expecting big babies. I want something I can use right away but so many are saying 8 lbs and up. Thoughts???

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Pave normally I would avoid infantino, but I will pass along that a good friend of mine has that and loves it. I was surprised by it when I saw it. Also, FWIW she is very short :) hth!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pave, I had a traditional infantino carrier with DS1 and hated it. I wanted a mei tai or ergo this time. I decided to get the infantino mei tai to try a mei tai but didnt want to spend a lot. I love it! I use it pretty much daily. DS is only 3.5 weeks old so I'll keep you posted.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Puppmom and Miscka! It sounds like we are all thinking the same thing about infantino but they must have done ok with this one. I saw it on sale at b r us for $27 something ...Puppmom how much does your baby weigh? Did you use it right away?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pave, Nate was 6lbs8oz at birth and I started using it when he was a few days old even though the packaging says 8lbs and up.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm new to parenting, is Infantino usually a mediocre brand? The only thing we have from them is a hand-me-down play gym that I love. Just curious!

I don't know anything about their carriers, but the one you linked looks promising, Pave. Can't wait to hear what Miscka's friend says.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, they make great toys IMO but traditionally only made the front carrier - a Bjorn ripoff type. I had one and it killed my back and I sweat like a hog when I wore it.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fav infantino you. DS1 played with this all the time starting around 6mos. I passed it on to a friend and her son loved it too.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Baby is due is 7 weeks and I don't have a wrap yet. I am interested in a ring sling to start (a friend is mailing me her ergo now that her son has vetoed being carried).

Please help with suggestions. I'm so confused--- I want one that is easy to use, can be used for a long period of time, and has as many options for carries as is possible with a ring sling.

Thanks, ladies!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fisher-since your so crafty I highly recommend trying to DIY a RS before buying one. The DIY group I added you to have great resources there and they use really inexpensive but good quality woven table clothes to make ones for cheap that work great :)

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/

http://mommirazzi.wordpress.com/2009/10/06/diy-ring-sling/

http://www.slingrings.com/npatterns.php

Here is a link to the group but I'm not sure if it will work :confused:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/334070496681248/

The babywearing group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/377237985638946/

And the babywearing swap page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/196221090408274/

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Haven they make many products which are fine/good but I got a really lame carrier/cart cover/chair seat and I did not care for it at all...but like I said it sounds like this one might work?? Here's hoping!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Hey lovely ladies my DD is looking for a hip carrier for her 8mo DS, he's a clinger and she needs to do something to free her hands! Any suggestions? Here he is in all his chunky glory!

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1363384769.jpg

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Elisa your grand baby is adorable! I myself have only tried a sling( I think he's too big and it would likely hurt mommas back) and the ergo which I really do like. The other ladies here have also used the Mei tai, and moby and other wraps- they will be able to share more experiences I think. There are generally some baby boutiques where u can try them on and try it out. I'd say make sure there is a good return policy as some are pricey and it might be hard to find the right fit. The ergo goes high as far as weight limit and can be worn on the back as toddler grows up but my son never felt comfortable so that part didn't work out for us. I do like the idea though...Good luck!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bah! PS ate my reply.

Elisa: I recommend a ring sling for hip carries. Here is a good place to get one
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/

My wrap conversion is done and I LOVE it. The difference between this and my regular MT is night and day. I also have the lady making a ring sling fanny pack for just a couple of diapers-and enough room for a toy, camera and our wallets so we don't have to drag the big bag around when we're out and about for a few hours.

I'm also having sleeping baby productions do a conversion to a ring sling for me. Another mom and me split a midas woven wrap (the sea turtle one) and I will be having that done next month (well in a few weeks). I also am trading my first MT for a table cloth ring sling and am very excited about all of them!

Here is a photo of my conversion and my DH wearing our son and myself wearing his 3.5 yr old niece which was really comfortable!

_5750.jpg

_5751.jpg

_5753.jpg

_5754.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results