shape
carat
color
clarity

Adoption Thread

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Awesome news Bella!!!!! I'm so happy for you guys! July is right around the corner!!! :appl: :appl:
I'm sure everything will just fall into place...how exciting!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much everyone, we are so excited!!!!!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so happy for you Bella!!!

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Birthmom had a Dr. appt today. 4 cm dilated & 100% effaced...the anticipation is killing me! :bigsmile:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: Ooohhhh, so exciting!!!!

I know what you mean, we are waiting on pins and needles to see if our request to push back our July 1 court date by 1 week will be granted (so that I can minimize the drama caused by mat leave at work since I am supposed to be in Russia then....)

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this is such an exciting summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella how exciting! You are going to have a toddler in like a month! hee hee... B is almost the same age as Hunter. You will love that age. So much fun. And crazy too! Super exciting! You will meet B around the time I meet my second child too!

IG Could be soon!

lili

Ideal_Rock
ImperfectGirl and Bella --
:appl: :appl: wow wow....can't believe that you two are going to be mamas so soon!
Congrats to you both.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
The anticipation is starting to get to me!

Imperfect, I take it she still hasn't went into labor?

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
pennquaker09|1307338650|2938754 said:
The anticipation is starting to get to me!

Imperfect, I take it she still hasn't went into labor?

Nope! I'm still around. :wavey: We will probably leave this weekend if she hasn't gone in by then. I'd really like to get up there early if possible.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
IG, I am SO EXCITED FOR YOU :cheeky: :appl: :appl: :appl: Hope that you get the call soon!!!

As for me, still no news about whether our request to delay the court date by a week or so was granted.

I am siting at work with knots in my stomach, dreading the mtg where I am presenting my mat leave plan which is at the end of the day today (since there were so many unknowns in the process and my work is extremely non family-friendly they don't know that we were in the process of adopting and this mtg is just an update with my bosses about the project for which I was/am supposed to travel abroad at the same time as our court date, but I am going to tell them in that meeting).

DH and decided that it is really important to us to both be there for his court date. (I think I would regret it for the rest of my life if I wasn't and I am not ready for that kind of mommy guilt/regret yet ;)) ) so, I am offering my job several leave options to address my responsibilities abroad. They won't like any of them, but hopefully they'll at least realize that I am trying to be as accomodating as possible.

This is not going to be a fun meeting :knockout: I am normally pretty chill about work things. I work hard, excel at my job and career, and want to move up, but family comes first and there's always another job out there somewhere. But...since DH is currently unemployed and I am going to continue being the only source of income for our family for at least the next year and probably much longer (he'll be applying to med school then) I am much more stressed about jeopardizing things at my work.

I just keep telling myself that I am entitled to this measly 12 weeks of unpaid leave and if I went into pre-term labor or had a family emergency, I would have to leave on even shorter notice... :rolleyes:

Oh how I wish we lived in Canada or somewhere else that has reasonable subsidized leave policies...12 weeks unpaid leave is not cool :knockout:

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bella_mezzo|1307390268|2939167 said:
I just keep telling myself that I am entitled to this measly 12 weeks of unpaid leave and if I went into pre-term labor or had a family emergency, I would have to leave on even shorter notice... :rolleyes:

This. Don't feel guilty Bella. You are entitled to those 12 measly weeks so they will just have to get over it. You are giving them notice and options and they should be thankful.

I, too, wish we had better options for mat leave in the U.S. Since I can't get short term disability since I'm not giving birth, all I'm getting is 2 lousy weeks paid and the rest unpaid...boo. :knockout:

Let us know how the meeting goes Bella.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I presented a plan with options, reiterated how important my job was to me, and repeatedly said that I understood what a shock this was and that I wanted to do everything possible to make my leave as smooth as it could be...I gave them my formal plan...and they were supportive. I am doing the first leg of the trip and then flying to Ethiopia to meet our son and attend our scheduled court date.

I'm sure that the more time they have to think about and process it the more freaked they'll get, but I feel so blessed right now that the meeting was positive and supportive. So many people were praying for this and I really appreciate it! God is amazing!

OMG-I am going to meet my son in 3 weeks and in between now and then, I will be in 5 countries--counting layovers, etc...

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bella - I'm so happy it went well and they were supportive!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Such a relief I'm sure! What an exciting flight that will be!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news Bella! Only 3 weeks??? OGM!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
ha-ha-ha-ha-ha, yep 3 weeks, well 3 1/2 weeks. I fly to Russia on the 25th of June and meet my son on June 30 :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I am feeling so overwhelmed right now! I'm sitting at my desk jittery and on the verge tears. heading to school in a few minutes for a review session for this midterm I have this week.

This was one crazy day, and I think the month is only going to get crazier :twirl:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Wow, so soon!!!! :appl: How very exciting and I'm sure work and your test are the last things on your mind.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
thanks logan!

Yeah, the test and work are not exactly my mental priority, but I am trying to keep it together:)

IG-any news? you are going to be a mama in the next few days!!!!!!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick fly-by post, but OMG, so much going on in here!

Bella - WOW, how exciting that you will be meeting your son in just a few short weeks, woohoo! :bigsmile: I am glad that you work took it well and that they are going to work with you. Right now, just enjoy that about to be a mommy feeling, and please keep us updated as you get closer to leaving for Russia and then Ethiopia!

IG - A very exciting time for you too my dear! If the birthmom doesn't go before this weekend, I really hope that you will be able to be there for the birth! Yeah for meeting your baby in less than a week! :appl:

Penn - It sounds like your LO is not very far away either. I hope that all continues to go smoothly until your birthmom goes into labor and that you will have your LO soon! :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! A lot has been going on here since I last visited!

Bella, congratulations...you are in the homestretch!

IG, with your birthmother having to go through labor and childbirth I know you have a different set of issues, but you are so very close, too. I am sure everything will be fine and that in a very few days you will be holding your baby!

I met someone else who is in the process of adopting, Stonerocks, on the Colored Stones forum, and I wanted to introduce him to the people active in this thread because he needs support for his endeavors, too. He has found this thread and I hope he will introduce himself! If I understand correctly, he currently lives in Hongkong but plans to relocate to Singapore with his girlfriend. They are adopting their son from Malaysia, to which he travels now. (Stonerocks, I, also, await your introduction of yourself to this thread so that I may learn more about you and your situation!)

My best to all of you families!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1306265538|2929287 said:
Logan, I do think of Anna's birthmother at various times, but especially on her birthday (which may not be accurate, but...). I only wish she could know the joy Anna has brought our family and how beautiful and happy she is.

My daughter, Whitney, has been keeping up quite a correspondence via e-mail and regular mail with her birthmother in Colombia since she established contact with her about a year ago. It is very late here now (about 20 to 2 AM) but I will try to share the latest that came from her birthmother tomorrow.

So far most of the contact has been between Whitney and her birthmother, by Whitney's desire, not because I am not full of gratitude towards her birthmother. (Early on she and I had some contact, but it has been mostly she and Whitney who have "talked".)

But on Mother's Day she (the birthmother) sent me the most beautiful Mother's Day card (also the only Mother's Day card anyone gave me although my brother and sister-in-law, knowing I am going through a divorce, sent me a beautiful vase of yellow roses!). I will tell you all about it. She thanked me for raising Whitney!!!!

Deb/AGBF

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
We had the nursery painted yesterday. I'm not super thrilled with it, but it's not finished yet, so we'll see.

Best of all was my sassy three year old saying to the painter,"you better make it pretty." She's gonna be a handful. I can see it now.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pennquaker09|1307612215|2941459 said:
We had the nursery painted yesterday. I'm not super thrilled with it, but it's not finished yet, so we'll see.

Color scheme? I'm sure it's somewhere in the thread, but I assume you don't mind repeating it!

Deb

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1307618359|2941499 said:

Color scheme? I'm sure it's somewhere in the thread, but I assume you don't mind repeating it!

Deb

No, I never mentioned it because I was very behind when it came to getting his room ready. Well, I guess you could say I'm still behind.

I decided on a yellow, navy, and gray palette.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Penn-I want to see pics:)

We finished B's room this weekend:) The walls are a pale lime green and a darker lime green (2 walls of each) with white and charcoal grey accents (and his quilt has those colors plus a variety of teal and turquoise). I think it looks great. We'll take pics this weekend and post:)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pennquaker09|1307628853|2941605 said:
AGBF|1307618359|2941499 said:

Deb

No, I never mentioned it because I was very behind when it came to getting his room ready. Well, I guess you could say I'm still behind.

I decided on a yellow, navy, and gray palette.

I love it!!! I love yellow with grey! All my husband's suits are grey pin stripe, and he used to wear exclusively red ties with them. I was glad when he was willing to branch out to yellow. I went crazy finding decorous, pale yellow ties to complement the grey suits! Yellow and grey are so classy together! The navy will be a perfect addition.

Yellow is my favorite color. My daughter's room, in both houses where we lived when she was a child, was pale yellow with white trim. She had a four poster bed (not a canopy) that was white-Queen size-with white semi-transparent curtains. She always had white curtains on the windows, too.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bella_mezzo|1307630387|2941623 said:
We finished B's room this weekend:) The walls are a pale lime green and a darker lime green (2 walls of each) with white and charcoal grey accents (and his quilt has those colors plus a variety of teal and turquoise). I think it looks great. We'll take pics this weekend and post:)

Please, please, do post pictures, Bella! I have more trouble envisioning this color scheme than I do Penn's and I would adore a visual assist! I am very excited for both you and Penn, who are about to have those rooms filled (and, of course, for ImperfectGirl!).

Hugs,
Deb

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Bella- OMG, June 30!! That is such wonderful news. I am over-the-moon thrilled for you. Work will deal. And then they'll realize how valuable you are while you are gone. Win/win :cheeky: So cannot wait to hear all about B, and how everything happens when you go to meet him. I am teary just thinking about it. YAY.

IG- Can't wait to hear about the arrival of your little man too. Adoption is so special.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1307598394|2941412 said:
diamondseeker2006|1306265538|2929287 said:
Logan, I do think of Anna's birthmother at various times, but especially on her birthday (which may not be accurate, but...). I only wish she could know the joy Anna has brought our family and how beautiful and happy she is.

My daughter, Whitney, has been keeping up quite a correspondence via e-mail and regular mail with her birthmother in Colombia since she established contact with her about a year ago. It is very late here now (about 20 to 2 AM) but I will try to share the latest that came from her birthmother tomorrow.

So far most of the contact has been between Whitney and her birthmother, by Whitney's desire, not because I am not full of gratitude towards her birthmother. (Early on she and I had some contact, but it has been mostly she and Whitney who have "talked".)

But on Mother's Day she (the birthmother) sent me the most beautiful Mother's Day card (also the only Mother's Day card anyone gave me although my brother and sister-in-law, knowing I am going through a divorce, sent me a beautiful vase of yellow roses!). I will tell you all about it. She thanked me for raising Whitney!!!!

Deb/AGBF

Deb, that is amazing, really! ;(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bella! Wow, you are SO close!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

And I wonder if IG has her baby right now since she hasn't posted lately! :?:

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1308022075|2945286 said:
Bella! Wow, you are SO close!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

And I wonder if IG has her baby right now since she hasn't posted lately! :?:

That's what I was thinking . . . I hope so, I'm so excited for everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results