shape
carat
color
clarity

The CS Setting Help Thread

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Way to be innovative Jstar! That sounds really pretty!

I've gone back to my original plan of a semi bezel for my round chryso. I made a collage of all the semi bezels I was having a hard time choosing between, picked out the things from each that I wanted to combine and sent it to Chris at myheartmonster on Etsy and am waiting for a quote.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Packrat ~

I am working with Michael. He is nice; I hope we can come to a meeting of the minds to accomplish this. I am really nervous because it is my first time doing anything like this. I actually really like the commercial setting we're using as a jumping off point. So, if all else fails.... Thanks again for your input. I have two small kiddos myself and doing something like this is HUGE. Have fun working with Chris. :)

~ faegrace

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys will have it sorted out and a great new ring on your finger in no time! :appl:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
k9muttlover|1299798865|2869151 said:
kelpie - did you for sure get the stone??? I almost nabbed it last night when I saw it, but I REALLY wanted the round one posted last week and missed it by minutes so I didn't try for this one since I felt so defeated.

If you did get it - I can't wait to see pictures. The color looks amazing!!!

I think a setting like this one would be nice - of course, only if you are into BIG. :bigsmile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200582561119

I did get it. I would have gotten the round if I could have but missed it too. I prefer cushions though. I usually like my stones bigger but I like them cheap too so that limits things. I love that design but I was really appalled by the quality from my one foray into chinese settings...though many here have ones that look so much better that mine. I will likely use hunt country or find someone in Tanzania. I was thinking last night about the setting. I want a bailess pendant that can be worn on several chains so the basket frame must be big enough to accommodate that. I want to be able to put the chain through two corners to have it hang square or switch just one corner and have it hang kite set. I probably need hunt country back in the states to interpret that description correctly. Question is, single or double prongs?

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1299841683|2869461 said:
k9muttlover|1299798865|2869151 said:
kelpie - did you for sure get the stone??? I almost nabbed it last night when I saw it, but I REALLY wanted the round one posted last week and missed it by minutes so I didn't try for this one since I felt so defeated.

If you did get it - I can't wait to see pictures. The color looks amazing!!!

I think a setting like this one would be nice - of course, only if you are into BIG. :bigsmile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200582561119

I did get it. I would have gotten the round if I could have but missed it too. I prefer cushions though. I usually like my stones bigger but I like them cheap too so that limits things. I love that design but I was really appalled by the quality from my one foray into chinese settings...though many here have ones that look so much better that mine. I will likely use hunt country or find someone in Tanzania. I was thinking last night about the setting. I want a bailess pendant that can be worn on several chains so the basket frame must be big enough to accommodate that. I want to be able to put the chain through two corners to have it hang square or switch just one corner and have it hang kite set. I probably need hunt country back in the states to interpret that description correctly. Question is, single or double prongs?

Single. :)

K9

Brilliant_Rock
lavatea|1299848725|2869492 said:

Agree - single. Double may be too much considering the stone size.

I'm so glad you got it! I can't wait to see RL pix.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Help!

I am really enjoying working with Michael E. on my chrome tourmaline ring. As I've said, it is my very first venture = not a lot of confidence in my decision making (unusual for me).

When I began this project, I was fairly certain I wanted to use YG, thinking it would best complement the dark green of the BB chrome. Then, I wavered after seeing the first rendering of the ring. I guess I am just not used to seeing YG. I almost always wear WG or platinum (even silver). Now, I've seen renderings in both and still am on the fence. I want to do what suits the gem best. PLEASE any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about doing two tone? I don't remember what the setting was going to look like, but you could maybe do yellow gold for the prongs or bezel or whatever is closest to the stone and white for the rest? If you're comfortable w/it, you could post the CAD's and we could help that way too.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
If you think YG will prevent you from wearing it often then stick with white.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Will Michael let you share the CADs? That would help for input if we could "see" both metals with the stone.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1300149194|2871872 said:
:love: http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/pics/final/40565.jpg

and then I saw the price :shock: I'd actually like to do something similar with my spess with tsavs and diamonds.

*sigh* so help me out y'all...am I crazy??

-A

Beautiful! That reminds me of something huntcountry.com would make except they cast in lost wax. All the settings they've done for me were well under a grand although I didn't use any melee. Maybe that's a less pricey alternative?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1300177726|2872118 said:
:love: http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/pics/final/40565.jpg

and then I saw the price :shock: I'd actually like to do something similar with my spess with tsavs and diamonds.

*sigh* so help me out y'all...am I crazy??

-A

Beautiful! That reminds me of something huntcountry.com would make except they cast in lost wax. All the settings they've done for me were well under a grand although I didn't use any melee. Maybe that's a less pricey alternative?

that greenlake was like um...4K. :shock: My mother always told me I better have a good job because I have expensive tastes :lol: anyway, can't justify the cost on that one no matter how pretty it is. I'll be looking to see what huntcountry has, thanks kelpie =)

-A

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1300183480|2872128 said:
kelpie|1300177726|2872118 said:
:love:
that greenlake was like um...4K. :shock: My mother always told me I better have a good job because I have expensive tastes :lol: anyway, can't justify the cost on that one no matter how pretty it is. I'll be looking to see what huntcountry has, thanks kelpie =)
-A

And that was 4k for 14K!!! that's insane for that setting IMO as pretty as it is.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Atwater|1300512635|2875076 said:
I am thinking of giving LOGR a try. I've seen rl photoes of this setting here and I do like it:

Gorgeous 6x8mm Oval 14K Gold Diamond Semi Mount Ring
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-6x8mm-Oval-14K-Gold-Diamond-Semi-Mount-Ring-/270722237984?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3f084d8620

My question is: will this 6x8 setting be too loose for a 7.2x5.8 stone?

For those who have this setting, would you recommend upgrading the diamonds?

Thanks a lot.

I have that setting with non-upgraded diamonds, and yes, I do recommend upgrading the diamonds.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't upgrade the diamonds in mine. I did upgrade the gold however. (I went to 18K rose) .

On another note, I've talked to 2 companies about creating the setting for my new spess. One said they could get me some drawings by Monday, the other hasn't gotten me anything yet. Monday should be interesting. lol I don't have all the pricing yet, but I'm already wobbling between having platinum or 18k.

-A

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Arcadian ~

What type of setting for your spess? :) That may be my next quest.

I send my chrome tourmaline to Michael E. tomorrow. I am over the moon! The newbie jitters have given way to pure excitement and anticipation. He is an absolute dream to work with. No halo after all but a somewhat botanical feel with some diamonds, in YG.... I will try to take pictures when it's finished; my photography skill sare sorely lacking.

~ faegrace

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind? um.. square? :lol: I'm leaning toward a basic setting, not too blingy in an effort to keep the costs down to something that won't blow the budget. I don't know what type of diamonds I want. But I was told that they could do whatever I wanted. SOOOOO I'm thinking I could have melee down the shank, or maybe around the basket (i'm scared I may do both...lol :shock: ). I'm waiting to see what they come up with first and will tweak it from there.

-A

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Hello! I've decided I want to re-set the 11 x 11 mm aqua I inherited from my grandma. Right now, it's in a silver setting that I don't like very much at all (pls. excuse how horrible the unpolished silver looks - I have clearly not been wearing it, like, ever). I would like to have a nice, big cocktail ring.

I am looking for some setting ideas as well as possible vendors to whom I could ship this stone to have it set. I'm looking to keep the setting under US$500 if possible.

I was thinking about a plain white gold halo on a shank with some pavé stones. Do you think that would look good? Alternatively, I was thinking a double claw setting on a shank with or without pavé.

Also, I've been checking out LOTR on eBay and Daniel M on etsy because of the many mentions they get on this forum. How does the process work with them? Can I ship them my stone for them to set it in a custom setting?

Thanks a lot for your help! I currently only wear my e-ring and w-band (both w/ diamonds), so this is my first colored stone project!

mscushion_aqua 2.jpg

mscushion_aqua 1.jpg

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
omg I LOVE the setting the aqua is in now!! WOW that is stunning!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a pretty cool setting! wow!

I guess it would depend on what you would want to change it to. I would certainly check around on etsy to see what will work for you.

For myself, I'm going to use mastergoldcraft on Etsy to create a setting for my spessartite. We talked for a few days, he's a nice (but busy) guy. The other options I looked into were really pricey. Will be done in 18K about 10 stones going down the shank and double prongs. setting will be here sometime in april.

-A

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
A ~

He's got some beautiful things (mastergoldcraft). I cannot wait to see it finished! I just ordered my first spessartite. :D

~ faegrace

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1300846734|2877836 said:
A ~

He's got some beautiful things (mastergoldcraft). I cannot wait to see it finished! I just ordered my first spessartite. :D

~ faegrace

Oh kewel!! :appl: what shape?? where from? (its ok if you don't want to say) any pictures? when you gonna get it?

I've wanted to use mastergoldcraft for a while. He does cast but also some hand made and I got a good feeling about the setting he's making so I'm pretty excited.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a cool setting for the aqua. It has a retro (mid 20th century) look to it. I would never guess that is a modern piece if I saw it somewhere else. Even the finish has a retro look to it.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
A ~

What gold are you using for the setting? Did you post pics of your spess? (forgive the severely sleep deprived mommy brain that seems to plague me)

I ordered the 2.05 carat fanta antique round from Doug Menadue, before prices went up. I had been looking at options for months and thought I had better jump. Plus, my mom kind of thought it made a good b-day gift for me. LOL I love orange, always have. I know a setting will have to wait.

Speaking of that, I need to start a new thread on favorite color combos unless someone has already done so. I know orange and purple is a big hit on PS, but I wonder what other mixes people love...?

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1300849527|2877886 said:
That's a cool setting for the aqua. It has a retro (mid 20th century) look to it. I would never guess that is a modern piece if I saw it somewhere else. Even the finish has a retro look to it.

Sorry, confused, I see that's you grandmother's ring. I really love the setting, and I wouldn't redo it, but that's me.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1300850473|2877896 said:
A ~

What gold are you using for the setting? Did you post pics of your spess? (forgive the severely sleep deprived mommy brain that seems to plague me)

I ordered the 2.05 carat fanta antique round from Doug Menadue, before prices went up. I had been looking at options for months and thought I had better jump. Plus, my mom kind of thought it made a good b-day gift for me. LOL I love orange, always have. I know a setting will have to wait.

Speaking of that, I need to start a new thread on favorite color combos unless someone has already done so. I know orange and purple is a big hit on PS, but I wonder what other mixes people love...?

~ faegrace

I'm doing all 18K for this one. I posted pics on it (probably everywhere by now :lol: ) These were all very quick snaps. So got a convo that if I send the stone he can set it (yay) So i sent the stone today, he'll get it tomorrow.

P1040732.jpg

-A

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
A ~

Completely stunning spess! Truly. Thank you for the picture. Are you doing white or yellow gold?

~ faegrace

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went with white gold because I'd rather wear it more often and my husband asked me to go with it...lol. I have a legacy type setting that I had considered...the stone is cut a wee bit deep so it wouldn't work (the look is too heavy as well), So I went for a nice open and simple prong setting instead. When I first got it, I thought 18K yellow gold would be better, but it really dosen't add anything to this stone at all. I would have had to go with a very high kt yellow gold..like 21-22K.

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results