carat
color
clarity

Show me your cabochon pieces!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks mariedtiger.

Dum dum...just some more photos I drummed up.

il_430xN.177840515.jpg

il_430xN.161388884.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lurv this one.

571.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
lavatea said:
Is it ok to post pieces that belong to other PSers?

I love the color on this one. I apologize, I didn't save who it belongs to.

I've been MIA from colored stones for awhile (trying to ease the temptation a bit since FI and I are curbing spending to save up for the wedding and honeymoon), but that's my ring, lavatea, and it's totally cool that you posted it!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Loving this thread! Will have some pics to contribute when I get home...till then, I keep checking back in.

Laura

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to pics Largosmom!

Here's a piece from JKT

il_430xN.169396284.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a question about cab settings. Do cabs fit into prong settings or do they have to be special order to fit a cab?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MakingTheGrade said:
I had a question about cab settings. Do cabs fit into prong settings or do they have to be special order to fit a cab?

If the prongs are close to vertical, then all that's needed is a wire ring added on the inside of the prongs upon which the cab can sit. If the prongs taper upwards, the process of using a wire ring to support the cab is the same, but a person has to calculate just where the stone will be located vertically and make sure that the prongs are wide enough at that point for the cab. Custom settings or a setting designed for cabs is needed if you want the height to be as low as possible. You can, of course, fit a bezel to nearly any setting. Some look better than others of course.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
That's very interesting, Michael. Thanks!

MTG, I loooove that antiquey setting! What's its source?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Michael_E said:
Here are some neat blue and white cabs that I've had in the past. That one star sapphire shows multiple stars because I had taken the picture under multiple point light sources in order to show that effect as well as to show the depth of translucency of the stone. I think that the aqua was my favorite though, darn thing was as large as the end of my thumb. Check out the background on the white star sapphire. That's a little fossil leaf plate that I found in the mountains around here. The perfect color for a background I think.

Oh, man, I love the last photo in the array, the vintage-y platinum (?) piece with the chalcedony (again, ?). That is just gorgeous.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
velouriaL said:
That's very interesting, Michael. Thanks!

MTG, I loooove that antiquey setting! What's its source?

I hope that I'm not disappointing anyone in saying that the antique looking setting is a reproduction from http://filigreerings.com/ The settings are made from either original molds or molds made from original rings. Close examination shows that they are not genuine antiques, at least on the ones made from original ring molds, as they have subtle parting lines and little inconsistencies which would not be in the original. They are nice however and can be purchased directly from the site owner, though he's a touch high in order to drive customers to his retailing clients. If you like something there you'd probably do better on the price by having your favorite jeweler get it for you.

One thing to remember about these sorts of rings having short prongs or bezel is that the stones used in them have to fit pretty closely and the sizes listed are approximate. If you buy one and a loose stone and then try to have someone assemble them for you, it may present some difficulties. Better to get a stone or setting and let your jeweler provide the remainder.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Michael_E said:
Here are some neat blue and white cabs that I've had in the past. That one star sapphire shows multiple stars because I had taken the picture under multiple point light sources in order to show that effect as well as to show the depth of translucency of the stone. I think that the aqua was my favorite though, darn thing was as large as the end of my thumb. Check out the background on the white star sapphire. That's a little fossil leaf plate that I found in the mountains around here. The perfect color for a background I think.

Michael - I have told you this before, but that is my favourite aqua cab ever. It is really amazing.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Michael

Do you have any photos of any of your star cabs set? I remember drooling over that white one before, I'd love to see what became of it.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
MTG, thanks for starting this thread! I could look at cabs all day long. Hopefully I'll be able to add some pictures to this thread soon... I can't wait for my cab project to be done!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um said:
lavatea said:

I've been MIA from colored stones for awhile (trying to ease the temptation a bit since FI and I are curbing spending to save up for the wedding and honeymoon), but that's my ring, lavatea, and it's totally cool that you posted it!

Vc10um, I love your ring. Eric from Swala gave me a garnet sugarloaf and I'd love to have it set like your ring.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MakingTheGrade said:
Hi Michael

Do you have any photos of any of your star cabs set? I remember drooling over that white one before, I'd love to see what became of it.

Very few MTG. Most of the loose stones I cut leave that way. I did set one into a setting which the buyer supplied as an existing setting that held a broken stone which I replaced with this pale violet star. This was a few years back and with a cheesy old camera, but you get the idea. That little stone was just wonderful, very translucent and just shimmery even when the star wasn't apparent.

violet star.jpg

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
oh that's very pretty! :love: i want a star cab now! and a sugarloaf one too!

Michael_E, is that a star sapphire? the pale violet colour's lovely, it looks so delicate!
(actually... it looks rather small too!)

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Here is something I designed. It's quite a comfy ring to wear :bigsmile:

cateyeringvend.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Burberrygirl said:
vc10um said:
lavatea said:

Vc10um, I love your ring. Eric from Swala gave me a garnet sugarloaf and I'd love to have it set like your ring.

Thanks, Burberrygirl! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I would be truly flattered!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E said:
MakingTheGrade said:

If the prongs are close to vertical, then all that's needed is a wire ring added on the inside of the prongs upon which the cab can sit. If the prongs taper upwards, the process of using a wire ring to support the cab is the same, but a person has to calculate just where the stone will be located vertically and make sure that the prongs are wide enough at that point for the cab. Custom settings or a setting designed for cabs is needed if you want the height to be as low as possible. You can, of course, fit a bezel to nearly any setting. Some look better than others of course.

If you bought a semi-mount with no "head", could one for a cab be fitted to it?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
This isn't a finished piece, but because tanzanite cabs aren't that common (at least I haven't seen another one) I thought I'd share. The stone started out as a faceted stone, but it got quite scratched and the cost to have it refaceted was more than I wanted to spend. My jeweler's lapidary suggested that I could "cab" the top part of the stone which would cost way less money, so I figured what the heck. Both my jeweler and I were quite surprised and pleased at how pretty it came out. You can see the facets on the bottom of the stone through the top, so it doesn't have a normal "cab" look to it. It kind of looks like a deep blue water droplet.

I hope to be able to put it in a pendant some day. It measures approx 12.5 x 6.5, but it is a fairly shallow stone. It is a bit lighter IRL than it looks in these photos. In fact, when it was faceted, it looked even lighter than it does now.

tanz 002.jpg

tanz 005a.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MakingTheGrade said:
Michael_E said:
MakingTheGrade said:

If you bought a semi-mount with no "head", could one for a cab be fitted to it?

Yes, but the area between the side stones in this type of ring is usually pretty deep and it's best to use or fabricate a basket with straight sides and solder it in place to fill that gap, placing the cab high enough to look good.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that first photo is stunning colorluvr!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
sleepyspinel said:
Here is something I designed. It's quite a comfy ring to wear :bigsmile:

cateyeringvend.jpg

Have we seen IRL pictures?? Looks like an awesome ring, yet again! :lickout:

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Vc10um, glad to know it was ok to share, and I'll save your name with the picture for the future. BTW, you're getting married on my 2 year anniversary. Best wishes! :)

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The colour is a perfect match to your avatar.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them all... Andrew Sarosi's earrings and Fly GIrls tsavorite "dish" stole my heart. I have nothing to show yet. Donated my star ruby cabochon ring (the star was not pronounced and my appraiser said these rubies were not expensive... I think I should have sat on it, though).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results