shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Coloured Gem Crew . . .?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2008 12:28:47 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

OK, so I bought this from ACStones.

T-5910C Mozambique Tourmaline: 1.46 ct.
SKU: T-5910C

Mozambique Tourmaline (J) 1.46 ct. 6.6 mm. [Gec: H] Square cushion cut. Flawless at 10x with slightly yellowish medium green color. BB.

Yay! I can''t wait to see it, and to see if it fits!

Ooooo, It looks beautiful and I love the color!! I hope it fits for you.
36.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2008 1:19:30 PM
Author: Catmom

Mozambique Tourmaline (J) 1.46 ct. 6.6 mm. [Gec: H] Square cushion cut. Flawless at 10x with slightly yellowish medium green color. BB.

Ooooo, It looks beautiful and I love the color!! I hope it fits for you.
36.gif

Me three! It is gorgeous!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock

oooooooh that is LOVELY!

How soon till you get it? (we''re an impatient bunch, aren''t we?)

LS

EMPTorres

Shiny_Rock
Oh Lauren.. Please Please keep us up to date on this! I am so in love with setting and stone! I want one and I want one now! I know I sound like a spoiled brat.. Anywhoo.. I can''t wait to see it put together..

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooooh Lauren it''s gorgeous!! Can''t wait to see what you think of it IRL! I''m still very tempted by that setting!!!!!!!
30.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 8:35:18 PM
Author: LostSapphire

oooooooh that is LOVELY!

How soon till you get it? (we''re an impatient bunch, aren''t we?)

LS
I haven''t gotten my shipping notification from Barbara, but it should be 2-3 business days after that.

I should have bought it on Monday . . . oops!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, now I need to find example pics of sharp claw prongs to print out to give to my jeweler. Does anyone have any pics of gemstones (or diamonds) in halo settings with sharp, crisp claw prongs?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
go to Leon Mege
artofplatinum.com

LS

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 1:13:20 PM
Author: LostSapphire
go to Leon Mege
artofplatinum.com

LS
I''ve been poking around there so much, and it seems like everything is double claws on Leon''s site. I can''t find any good pics of single claw prongs from Leon.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yay LTP! I''m glad you picked that little guy up! I''ve been eying it forever.

You have to take lots of pics ok?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 1:21:59 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Oh yay LTP! I''m glad you picked that little guy up! I''ve been eying it forever.

You have to take lots of pics ok?
I will absolutely do that, Freke! I''ll make sure I get loads of it unset (if I like it).
3.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 2:40:57 PM

Date: 8/12/2008 2:09:59 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Lauren you have the setting I want! Can I ask where you found it? I''ve decided to get a cushion sapphire from Richard Homer, and mine is lovely and cushiony, 6.9 x 5.5 mm, and I would LOVE a halo setting like what you have.

And I second MissPinky''s recommendations. The sapphire she posted is similar to what I''m getting, so I''m pretty partial to that, but wow, that pink spinel makes my heart ker-thump
30.gif
I found it on Ebay of all places. It''s just a generic 7x7 mm cushion, and in fact, I bet if you searched for 7x7mm on Ebay, you''d be able to find the same setting.

I was a bit out off by the name (lord_of_gem_rings
6.gif
), but I''ve taken it by my jeweler and he was impressed with not only the quality of the setting, but the diamonds are really out of this world sparkly. It obviously needs polishing in the basket, and hopefully my jeweler can recreate the pointy claw prongs I''m looking for, but it''s surprisingly nice.

It was an incredibly good price, too.

Good luck!
Hey Lauren - I really need to ask, is this ebay seller for real?
I know you said you checked with your jeweller, but I''m just baffled at how they can offer those prices..So you would recommend others to purchase from them based on your experience (as in, its real gold and not horrible diamonds, lol?)..
5.gif

I hope you don''t mind me asking, its just I''ve been searching for options for a gem RHR aswell, and this would be great for me if its the real - deal..

Btw, congrats on your tourmaline purchase, I''ve been eyeing that puppy for a lil while too!
36.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2008 6:38:56 AM
Author: arjunajane

Lauren you have the setting I want! Can I ask where you found it? I''ve decided to get a cushion sapphire from Richard Homer, and mine is lovely and cushiony, 6.9 x 5.5 mm, and I would LOVE a halo setting like what you have.

And I second MissPinky''s recommendations. The sapphire she posted is similar to what I''m getting, so I''m pretty partial to that, but wow, that pink spinel makes my heart ker-thump
30.gif
I found it on Ebay of all places. It''s just a generic 7x7 mm cushion, and in fact, I bet if you searched for 7x7mm on Ebay, you''d be able to find the same setting.

6.gif
), but I''ve taken it by my jeweler and he was impressed with not only the quality of the setting, but the diamonds are really out of this world sparkly. It obviously needs polishing in the basket, and hopefully my jeweler can recreate the pointy claw prongs I''m looking for, but it''s surprisingly nice.

Good luck!
I know you said you checked with your jeweller, but I''m just baffled at how they can offer those prices..So you would recommend others to purchase from them based on your experience (as in, its real gold and not horrible diamonds, lol?)..
5.gif

I hope you don''t mind me asking, its just I''ve been searching for options for a gem RHR aswell, and this would be great for me if its the real - deal..

Btw, congrats on your tourmaline purchase, I''ve been eyeing that puppy for a lil while too!
36.gif
Arunajane, I''ve been wondering the same thing! I''ve actually been eyeing off this setting for weeks, and emailed the seller to see if they would do it in two tone (yellow band, white head, being the yellow gold nut that I am
41.gif
) which they will! They seem very accommodating.

I look forward to Lauren''s reply!
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 9:50:23 AM
Author: DandiAndi

5.gif

36.gif
Arunajane, I''ve been wondering the same thing! I''ve actually been eyeing off this setting for weeks, and emailed the seller to see if they would do it in two tone (yellow band, white head, being the yellow gold nut that I am
41.gif
) which they will! They seem very accommodating.

I look forward to Lauren''s reply!
9.gif
Absolutely, thats what has me a little worried, some of it seems too good be to true! I guess there''s always the 30 day return - good policy!
I''ve also contacted the seller, I''d mainly like to know about the quality of the diamonds..I''m hoping Lauren can fill us in as she''s it IRL..
I''m sure Lauren knows her stuff - where are you LTP?, come fill us in - you''ve opened a box of trouble for me now, lol..!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lauren you have the setting I want! Can I ask where you found it? I've decided to get a cushion sapphire from Richard Homer, and mine is lovely and cushiony, 6.9 x 5.5 mm, and I would LOVE a halo setting like what you have.

And I second MissPinky's recommendations. The sapphire she posted is similar to what I'm getting, so I'm pretty partial to that, but wow, that pink spinel makes my heart ker-thump
30.gif
I found it on Ebay of all places. It's just a generic 7x7 mm cushion, and in fact, I bet if you searched for 7x7mm on Ebay, you'd be able to find the same setting.

6.gif
), but I've taken it by my jeweler and he was impressed with not only the quality of the setting, but the diamonds are really out of this world sparkly. It obviously needs polishing in the basket, and hopefully my jeweler can recreate the pointy claw prongs I'm looking for, but it's surprisingly nice.

Good luck!
I know you said you checked with your jeweller, but I'm just baffled at how they can offer those prices..So you would recommend others to purchase from them based on your experience (as in, its real gold and not horrible diamonds, lol?)..
5.gif

I hope you don't mind me asking, its just I've been searching for options for a gem RHR aswell, and this would be great for me if its the real - deal..

Btw, congrats on your tourmaline purchase, I've been eyeing that puppy for a lil while too!
36.gif
No worries, Arjuna, I was INCREDIBLY skeptical, as well.

I'm basing this off of my local jewelers advice, and he said it's obviously not a WF or Leon setting, but it's good enough for a medium to nice quality gemstone.

I wouldn't set any ACAs in it, but the gold has been tested as 14k and the diamonds tested as well. I will say they look closer to J, SI3 diamonds, and the miligraining is a bit off when taking macro pics. . .

I hate to be an enabler, but maybe try buying one of their cheaper settings, and seeing if you're happy with it. For some reason the base price on this one dropped a bit, so now may be a good time to take advantage.

Here are some pics of the setting IRL. . .

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another from the top. . .

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
And one more . . .

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and the tourm under office lighting with no sun outside - it''s been raining here all week.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Setting by itself.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really need to take a pic of it next to my Knox setting.

I love Brian, the clearance setting he sold me was 14k white gold with engraving and .32 ct. and I only paid $299 for it. My white sapphire is in it now, and the quality of this new setting is only slightly worse than my Knox setting, to be honest. The new setting was bid up a bit, but I still spent about $300 with sizing and shipping. Quitecomparable, IMO.

When I think about how little I paid for a Knox setting vs. how similar the cost was for this setting with very similar ct. weight . . . well, I'm just baffled by it.
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Lauren! You''re a champ!
36.gif

This was exactly what I wanted to know, and the pics are very helpful aswell. Thankyou soo much for posting these!

My main concern would be with melee falling out due to not being set properly - in your opinion, do you think this would be an issue after seeing the ring up close? To be honest, it really does look like reasonable quality (esp. for the price, right?)..

You mentioned they are more like si3 - are there any visible inclusions? Or I''m guessing they''re too small to matter? I don''t really mind, as long as they are not dull etc kwim?
Would you say its "worth it" to upgrade to a slightly higher clarity/colour combo? This will just be for a fun RHR for me, so I''m not really after perfection, but still don''t want things that will bother me, ya know?

The tourm looks amazing in there btw - you''ve made me jealous I didn''t grab it now, lol
9.gif

Oh wel, I hope you won''t mind potentially having a ring twin...

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 11:23:36 AM
Lauren! You''re a champ!
36.gif

This was exactly what I wanted to know, and the pics are very helpful aswell. Thankyou soo much for posting these!

My main concern would be with melee falling out due to not being set properly - in your opinion, do you think this would be an issue after seeing the ring up close? To be honest, it really does look like reasonable quality (esp. for the price, right?)..

You mentioned they are more like si3 - are there any visible inclusions? Or I''m guessing they''re too small to matter? I don''t really mind, as long as they are not dull etc kwim?
Would you say its ''worth it'' to upgrade to a slightly higher clarity/colour combo? This will just be for a fun RHR for me, so I''m not really after perfection, but still don''t want things that will bother me, ya know?

The tourm looks amazing in there btw - you''ve made me jealous I didn''t grab it now, lol
9.gif

I was hoping this would help you and others here.
1.gif

My opinion on the melee is that it''s pretty likely that some of it will fall out if you don''t explicitly tell your jeweler to tighten the diamonds when you take it in to have a stone set. I always have my jeweler check any melee when I have a ring in for work. He''s usually great about tightening everything down and I hardly ever lose any diamonds because of it. It definitely helps that the melee isn''t shared prong - those suckers have to fight through 4 prongs to get out.
3.gif

I''ve checked the diamonds with my loupe, and I''ve seen one or two tiny inclusions in about 5 of the diamonds - a couple that I can definitely see with my naked eye. It''s definitely not really worrisome since the diamonds are pretty lovely despite their clarity. I have a hawk-eye, though, so take that statement with a tiny grain of salt.
2.gif

If you''re really worried about it, and going with a light coloured gemstone, I would probably suggest you "upgrade" the diamonds. If you''re staying with something darker like my Mozambique or a blue sapphire, I really wouldn''t worry about it.

Good luck, and no, I don''t mind a ring twin or two! I''ll most likely be buying another of their halo settings in the next couple of days for an EC yellow sapphire I have.
2.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Yay for the setting! Yay for the stone! Yay in general, LOL!
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 11:44:21 AM

Lauren! You''re a champ!
36.gif

Would you say its ''worth it'' to upgrade to a slightly higher clarity/colour combo? This will just be for a fun RHR for me, so I''m not really after perfection, but still don''t want things that will bother me, ya know?

9.gif

1.gif

My opinion on the melee is that it''s pretty likely that some of it will fall out if you don''t explicitly tell your jeweler to tighten the diamonds when you take it in to have a stone set. I always have my jeweler check any melee when I have a ring in for work. He''s usually great about tightening everything down and I hardly ever lose any diamonds because of it. It definitely helps that the melee isn''t shared prong - those suckers have to fight through 4 prongs to get out.
3.gif

I''ve checked the diamonds with my loupe, and I''ve seen one or two tiny inclusions in about 5 of the diamonds - a couple that I can definitely see with my naked eye. It''s definitely not really worrisome since the diamonds are pretty lovely despite their clarity. I have a hawk-eye, though, so take that statement with a tiny grain of salt.
2.gif

If you''re really worried about it, and going with a light coloured gemstone, I would probably suggest you ''upgrade'' the diamonds. If you''re staying with something darker like my Mozambique or a blue sapphire, I really wouldn''t worry about it.

Good luck, and no, I don''t mind a ring twin or two! I''ll most likely be buying another of their halo settings in the next couple of days for an EC yellow sapphire I have.
2.gif
Again, thankyou for the info hon, you''re awesome
5.gif

I wish I had a great jeweller like you - where I live in Australia, I can''t even find a jeweller to look at stuff for me if you don''t buy it from them
38.gif

Do you mind if I ask what area you are in? Just because I will be purchasing the mount and gem all from the US, then will be lost for somewhere to set it...never hurts to know of good jewellers, right?
2.gif

(pls, if you are not comfortable disclosing this info than no probs at all)..

It sounds like you are creating a wonderful collection, can''t wait to see the finished products, how exciting!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You never did say how you feel about the Tourmaline!!

So?!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Lauren, it''s going to be gorgeous! Lovely stone!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 12:53:38 PM

Date: 8/19/2008 11:44:21 AM

Lauren! You''re a champ!
36.gif

9.gif

1.gif

3.gif

2.gif

If you''re really worried about it, and going with a light coloured gemstone, I would probably suggest you ''upgrade'' the diamonds. If you''re staying with something darker like my Mozambique or a blue sapphire, I really wouldn''t worry about it.

2.gif
Again, thankyou for the info hon, you''re awesome
5.gif

I wish I had a great jeweller like you - where I live in Australia, I can''t even find a jeweller to look at stuff for me if you don''t buy it from them
38.gif

Do you mind if I ask what area you are in? Just because I will be purchasing the mount and gem all from the US, then will be lost for somewhere to set it...never hurts to know of good jewellers, right?
2.gif

(pls, if you are not comfortable disclosing this info than no probs at all)..

It sounds like you are creating a wonderful collection, can''t wait to see the finished products, how exciting!
The name of the company is JB Jewelers in Plano, TX (we''re in north Dallas).

Aldemar and Armondo run the place, and they design a lot of their own jewelry.

This is their contact information if that helps, but sadly, they haven''t made the jump to the online world yet.

2411 Coit Road
Plano, TX 75075
(972) 398-6417

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, Freke - I LOVE it! It's not had a lot of time in nice lighting yet, but I'm loving the blue and yellow flashes of fire I get.

I have some more gems from GemSelect on the way for another project I'm thinking of doing in the next few months. I'll keep you guys posted when I get them.
2.gif

Oh, and it's a BB cut and now I see why you love them so!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results