shape
carat
color
clarity

multicolor.com gems

kallard

Rough_Rock
Just an update. I have not made any decisions. Half the fun is in the contemplation.

However, I did want to say that I have been in discussion about using a Montana sapphire with Blazengems, as Marlow recommended them.

We'll see. Still can work with JuliaB, but there is just something I like about looking for the gem first instead of someone else.

If whoever I end up going with takes payments, that opens it up for me to spend a little more.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
kallard|1441028235|3921559 said:
If my total budget for a ring is $3,000, how much of it should be on the stone?
I would suggest $2000 for the stone and $1000 for the setting. You can get yourself a very nice Stuller setting for not a whole lot of money. But that's if you get a calibrated or close to calibrated sized stone.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed that you mentioned you liked heart shapes. Allyce Kosnar of Kosnar Gem Co had some nice heart shaped emeralds and tourmaline earlier under $1000. You can find the store on Etsy if you want to check them out. :wavey:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Look what I just found. You should go check it out and see if you like it. :) I believe Marlow recommended this type of garnet. I have a precision cut rhodolite and love mine.

http://selectgem.com/products/4-53ct-rhodolite-garnet

I jut saw now that you are not wanting a rhodolite, but go see just for fun if you want.

kallard

Rough_Rock
I like so many that are not sturdy enough for an everyday/engagement ring! I love amethyst, tanzanite, rhodolite, and tourmaline. Rhodolite would be perfect for my heart-shaped ring, but alas, I am hard on my hands and my aquamarine I currently have is dull from wear.

Of course, I could look at it this way, if it wears down, I could then have the stone replaced or shop again..... :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard|1441714082|3924897 said:
Of course, I could look at it this way, if it wears down, I could then have the stone replaced or shop again..... :love:
IF the size is calibrated and fits the existing setting, which is why PSers always advise to find the stone first then the setting.

kallard

Rough_Rock
True.

But going back to the Montana sapphires, Blaze can set the sapphire for me, so I wouldn't need to buy the mount separately.

kallard

Rough_Rock
These are the sapphires that I am looking from what is listed on the website (Blaze). Doesn't mean that there aren't others that are available. I purposely left the price off.

blaze684.png
Unusual cut, most expensive one on my list. Husband and son (he's 12, so....) like this one. I was looking for "ocean" color, and this one looks sort of like fish swimming in a pool.
CUT: DIAMOND ROUND WITH CUSTOM CARVED TABLE ,> COLOR: ROYAL NAVY BLUE ,> WEIGHT: 3.18cts. ,> SIZE: 8.8mm. CLARITY: VVS ,> LUSTER: EXCELLENT ,> ORIGIN: MONTANA ,> TREATMENT: HEAT ONLY

blaze1228.png
Love everything, EXCEPT it is lighter in color than I wanted.
CUT: HEART, COLOR: LIGHT BLUE TO LAVENDER, WEIGHT: 2.48ct., SIZE: 8.7mm. X 8.47mm. X 4.97mm., CLARITY‎: VVS, LUSTER: EXCELLENT, TREATMENT: NONE, ORIGIN: MONTANA ( ELDORADO BAR MINE )

blaze1290.png
CUT: OVAL, COLOR: DEEP TEAL TO BLUE/PURPLE ( COLOR CHANGE/SHIFT), WEIGHT: 2.45ct., SIZE: 8.8mm., CLARITY‎: VVS, LUSTER: EXCELLENT, TREATMENT: NONE, ORIGIN: MONTANA ( Eldorado bar mine )

blaze1285.png
CUT: OVAL, COLOR: TEAL, WEIGHT: 1.82ct., SIZE: 8.2mm. X 7mm. X 4mm., CLARITY‎: VS, LUSTER: EXCELLENT, TREATMENT: NONE, ORIGIN: MONTANA

blaze1145.png
CUT: ASSHER/ EMERALD, COLOR: TEAL GEEN BLUE, WEIGHT: 2.83ct., SIZE: 8mm. X 6.2mm., CLARITY‎: VVS, LUSTER: EXCELLENT, TREATMENT: NONE. ORIGIN: MONTANA

blaze1134.png
This was a little smaller than I wanted.
CUT: Modified trillion, COLOR: lavender/purple to blue/green/purple, WEIGHT: 1.54ct, SIZE: 6.8mm., CLARITY‎: vs, LUSTER: Excellent (fire ball!), TREATMENT: None, ORIGIN: Montana ( Eldorado bar sapphire mine )

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask for pictures of the light blue heart away from a strong light source. I believe it should darken up and might end up closer to what you want without the propensity for blacking out, especially once set. The rest look like the type that will black out under most viewing conditions.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd ask for additional pictures of the asscher/emerald cut and the heart. I second Chrono's third sentence.

kallard

Rough_Rock
Here are some more photos he sent. This includes two that I didn't list. Far right one he didn't have on the website, so I do not know anything about that one yet. Upper left one I think it may be sold, so didn't include. I did send a request for more photos of the heart.

blazecoll1.jpg
blazecoll2.jpg
blazecoll3.jpg
blazecoll4.jpg
blazecoll5.jpg
blazecoll6.jpg
blazecoll7.jpg

The emerald cut one looks nice, but also looks a little more green than I had in mind. It is definitely the most bright in all of these photos. The color shift one I listed in the last post is not in this photo and I did send a request to see more photos of it.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
You do realize the lab report that multicolor uses is their own.

LOL

I say find the same thing on ebay with a lab report from a recognized lab at least

Buying anything in color with no report today from a site in Thailand grading their own gems is not what I would recommend

If they can't even afford to get a cert on these 'gems' they're hardly 'gems'

IMO

kallard

Rough_Rock
I realize this isn't an official lab report. But, just to clarify, these are not from the Multicolor site that I originally posted about, nor are they from Thailand. This is from Blazengems.com and Montana sapphires...someone that I have seen other stones from on this site and who someone recommended. I debated about posting this in its own thread and away from the multicolor subject line, but since I have been talking to a few people through this thread about finding something, I just left it here.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
kallard|1441803666|3925533 said:
I realize this isn't an official lab report. But, just to clarify, these are not from the Multicolor site that I originally posted about, nor are they from Thailand. This is from Blazengems.com and Montana sapphires...someone that I have seen other stones from on this site and who someone recommended. I debated about posting this in its own thread and away from the multicolor subject line, but since I have been talking to a few people through this thread about finding something, I just left it here.

I looked at their site, it appears to be US based and they take paypal

Nothing looked that expensive hence no major lab certs

If you start to sink any money into these USA gems, you probably need a lab to look at them

Real untreated sapphires are not inexpensive

So I don't care what mine they are out of if they are untreated and corundum they have value and should be certed due to how vastly price is effected by the many treatments now ruining the CG market

LGFF
Irradiation
High Heat
Beryll Infusion

the list goes on

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest that Dr.Ruby read up about Montana sapphires. A mere few years ago, they were never heated. Today, low heat only. If anything else, they are even less likely to undergo the extreme treatments sapphires from elsewhere are subject to. Value is based on colouration, and because Montanas are rarely a pure intense blue, they tend to be less expensive than the trade ideal blue. Colour sets the price. An intense heat only blue will always cost more than an untreated gray blue.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on which of the Montana mines the rough comes from. Some have little rutille silk and more iron, like Eldorado and Dry Cottonwood, and don't respond well to heating. Others, such as Rock Creek, have been heated for quite a while and I've seen a figure of as much as 60% of the production there is heat treated.

Ted Themalis says that he has successfully BE treated Montana rough and that it is described in his book. However, I have not read it. Didn't Jason Brim also experiment with BE treatment of Montana sapphires? I have some vague recollection but it could have been just heating.

Sorry for the tangent!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady D,
Does this diffusion penetrate the entire stone or is it the surface only? As far as I know, the diffusion of the Montanas are only surface diffusion which can easily be detected. Unfortunately, this also means that complete diffusion is on the horizon.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth I like the emerald cut green one.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono, I am not sure. Information on it seems to be pretty scarce. Maybe Ted knows more - I think he is active on another forum.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard|1441801621|3925522 said:
Here are some more photos he sent. This includes two that I didn't list. Far right one he didn't have on the website, so I do not know anything about that one yet. Upper left one I think it may be sold, so didn't include. I did send a request for more photos of the heart.

The emerald cut one looks nice, but also looks a little more green than I had in mind. It is definitely the most bright in all of these photos. The color shift one I listed in the last post is not in this photo and I did send a request to see more photos of it.

For what it's worth I really love the carved round one. I know that might be a less popular option, but I like it I lot! :)

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
drruby|1441806125|3925543 said:
Beryll Infusion

I'm sorry, but this is driving me absolutely crazy. BERYLLIUM. Not Beryl, or Beryll, Beryllium.

OK, onto the Montana sapphires - I like the color on the emerald cut the best, but I'm not sure I like the cut. I like the asscher-y one, but it might be too dark?

drruby

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1441806693|3925546 said:
I suggest that Dr.Ruby read up about Montana sapphires. A mere few years ago, they were never heated. Today, low heat only. If anything else, they are even less likely to undergo the extreme treatments sapphires from elsewhere are subject to. Value is based on colouration, and because Montanas are rarely a pure intense blue, they tend to be less expensive than the trade ideal blue. Colour sets the price. An intense heat only blue will always cost more than an untreated gray blue.

Low heat is acceptable to most CG enthusiasts.

NO HEAT is a sales fluff tool IMO

CG under 4 ct doesn't interest me

Over 4 ct low heat is normal

Small CG, it's sales fluff

So what it's no heat low heat.

It's CG and heating has been done to some level for over 1000 years.

Now high heat you change internal inclusions and you can spot it if you know what it does to inclusions

CG under 3 ct is common, over 4 ct it gets rare and clarity is very rare

Color over 4 ct is USUALLY enhanced low heat

Now if you think low carat weight CG is a 'gem' the buy it

IMO no heat and low heat in any CG is NORMAL

But I'm sure the connoisseurs of low value gems here will draw a major line in the sand over NO HEAT or LOW HEAT in CG since they believe the sales hype over NO HEAT

Talk to a collector with elite CG in 4ct+ and color and clarity he'll laugh at all this sales hype over low weight stones if they have low or high heat

it's just a con in my opinion to give labs a reason to look at CG and charge money

nothing under 3Ct in any stone is a 'gem'

weight moves elite stones

low heat is normal in most CG

so you find a rare larger ruby from burma in an old collection

IT HAS LOW HEAT

PERIOD

Now you want to sent that GEM to what GIA so they drill craters in it to say what we all already know

LOW HEAT

Now are you worried about a new treatment on the rare large old burma?

haha

I'm really putting out too much wisdom here

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
drruby|1441815025|3925626 said:
Chrono|1441806693|3925546 said:

Low heat is acceptable to most CG enthusiasts.

NO HEAT is a sales fluff tool IMO

CG under 4 ct doesn't interest me

Over 4 ct low heat is normal

Small CG, it's sales fluff

So what it's no heat low heat.

It's CG and heating has been done to some level for over 1000 years.

Now high heat you change internal inclusions and you can spot it if you know what it does to inclusions

CG under 3 ct is common, over 4 ct it gets rare and clarity is very rare

Color over 4 ct is USUALLY enhanced low heat

Now if you think low carat weight CG is a 'gem' the buy it

IMO no heat and low heat in any CG is NORMAL

But I'm sure the connoisseurs of low value gems here will draw a major line in the sand over NO HEAT or LOW HEAT in CG since they believe the sales hype over NO HEAT

Talk to a collector with elite CG in 4ct+ and color and clarity he'll laugh at all this sales hype over low weight stones if they have low or high heat

it's just a con in my opinion to give labs a reason to look at CG and charge money

nothing under 3Ct in any stone is a 'gem'

weight moves elite stones

low heat is normal in most CG

IT HAS LOW HEAT

PERIOD

Now you want to sent that GEM to what GIA so they drill craters in it to say what we all already know

LOW HEAT

haha

The amount of confusion and misinformation here is shocking. If under 4ct doesn't interest you, go elsewhere and only comment on things that are 4+ carats.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
drruby said:

IT HAS LOW HEAT

PERIOD

LOW HEAT

haha

You are. You truly are. You should keep it to yourself or we all will make untold profits from your amazing wisdom.

I, for one, am off to buy low heat 4 ct+ Burmese rubies! :Up_to_something:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I love that green sapphire, emerald cut. Rare color for a sapphire.

I know it's not in the running, but it's a beauty! :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1441826999|3925724 said:
I love that green sapphire, emerald cut. Rare color for a sapphire.

I know it's not in the running, but it's a beauty! :appl:

I also like the green one, but it is a bit too green for my personal taste, even though it is obviously a very pretty stone. One I originally didn't notice because I was busy drooling over the round cut (haha oops), is the ascher/square type cut that is right above the green one. It might be too dark IRL in a setting (I think Chrono may have already said that), but I really do think the stone is beautiful, and may not be as dark as the round cut (and also is likely less expensive). I have enjoyed all the correspondence I've had with Blaze, he's great to work with and quick to respond, so I definitely think you are in good hands with him :)

kallard

Rough_Rock
The green one is still in the running. Haven't eliminated it. Just wasn't what I was originally picturing. He describes it as teal, but I see green myself.

I think the other asscher cut has been sold. Am waiting to hear. Also a little smaller.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kallard said:
The green one is still in the running. Haven't eliminated it. Just wasn't what I was originally picturing. He describes it as teal, but I see green myself.

I think the other asscher cut has been sold. Am waiting to hear. Also a little smaller.

Ooooh, yay! :appl: :love:

I have been looking for a good green for a long time, and it's hard to find. The thing about emerald cuts is that they have a dramatic flash, as opposed to a sparkle. I love the drama of an emerald cut, and it's more unique than rounds, IMO. If I hadn't already spent my money for the year, I would buy that one in a heartbeat.

We purchased some blue/green little round Montana sapphires from Jerry at Gemart services, and he had gotten them from Blaze. We made a pair of studs for my DD, and they are so unusual! They look so meh (washed out greenish) when they are sitting in the box, and when she puts them on her ears, they light up with a bright blue color. I've asked Jerry about it, and he has no idea why this happens. It's quite bizarre, actually. Point of the story (finally! :) ) is that Montanas seem to shift around, they are fascinating stones.

You might want to tell Blaze to hold the ones you're considering, so they aren't grabbed from under you. Tell him you're doing a PS thread, he'll understand.

kallard

Rough_Rock
That is an interesting way to put it, flash vs. sparkle. He does describe the emerald cut as having a flash. I want more sparkle than flash. Maybe this is why I have favored emerald cut - because it is more "mirror" like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results