shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR setting questions, Paging the Expert Advice of Lauren the Partier and Tourmaline Lover

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

I have really enjoyed seeing everyone''s LOGR settings and finished pieces! I plan on purchasing one for my mother''s birthday at the end of July. The diamond I want to set is about a 5mm round, but the setting I''m interested in, the split-shank round halo with prongs, is made for a 6mm-6.6mm stone. Should I ask LOGR to customize it, if it''s even possible, or should I just wait for it to get here and have my jeweler see if he can do anything about it?
33.gif

Thank you so much in advance!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 9:17:06 PM
Author:szh07
Hello!

I have really enjoyed seeing everyone''s LOGR settings and finished pieces! I plan on purchasing one for my mother''s birthday at the end of July. The diamond I want to set is about a 5mm round, but the setting I''m interested in, the split-shank round halo with prongs, is made for a 6mm-6.6mm stone. Should I ask LOGR to customize it, if it''s even possible, or should I just wait for it to get here and have my jeweler see if he can do anything about it?
33.gif

Thank you so much in advance!
Hey SZH - I have the split shank with a 5.5 mm diamond in it, and it seems to be the smallest that I would go with that setting without having it modified.

But, since you''re setting a diamond in it, perhaps your jeweler could add some miligrain to take away the look of so much extra metal?

Let me see if I can get a pic of my OEC for you!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is - face on.

original.aspx

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably customize if it''s a 5mm stone. I think you can get away with a 5.5 mm stone as Lauren stated, but 5mm would be too small He has a halo made for a 5mm diamond, but it''s not a split shank.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much!

LTP- I have been in love with your rings for so long, and especially the OEC. It is such a beauty! And adding extra miligrain is an awesome idea.

Tourmalinelover- I have been scouring old threads and have found so much helpful advice from you, not to mention seen so many of your beautiful rings. They pretty much answered any and all questions I could possibly think of, except this one of course.

That seals the deal; I have written to LOGR asking them how much it will cost to modify the split-shank, because that''s the setting that I fell in love with, but I''m not really counting on it. I just did a search and found the 5mm pave halo; thank you so much for the suggestion. I do like it also, so if they don''t get back to me about modifying the split-shank, then I''ll go with the one that is meant for a 5mm. Thank you so much, I''ll be sure to post pics after I order one!
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How sweet, thank you for the kind words.

I don''t think it would be a problem for him to modify that setting at all for a 5mm stone. He modified it for me for a 8.3 mm stone, and it came out fabulous.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I know you didn''t ask me but I always customize my ebay rings to fit the stone. They don''t charge a lot.. most charge $10 (LOGR could be more). I think it''s a small price to pay considering the big impact it has on the overall look of the ring. I can''t stand a stone that doesn''t fit right in the ring.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2009 10:34:23 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

I don''t think it would be a problem for him to modify that setting at all for a 5mm stone. He modified it for me for a 8.3 mm stone, and it came out fabulous.
If you don''t mind me asking, how much did he charge you for the modification? I had just inquired about something similar and got a rather outrageous quote just to modify it to fit my stone.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Babyblue - I think LOGR usually charges $30 to customize. I had a 10mm cushion setting modified to fit my 8.3mm morganite, and that''s how much they charged me. Upgrading the diamonds was quite a bit more - did they perhaps include that in your quote?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2009 6:19:09 AM
Author: Babyblue033

Date: 6/30/2009 10:34:23 PM

If you don''t mind me asking, how much did he charge you for the modification? I had just inquired about something similar and got a rather outrageous quote just to modify it to fit my stone.
Well, if you''re going up in size, he will charge extra for more diamonds and gold, and the resizing fee is $30. To resize the ring to fit your finger is another $10. In all, I paid around an extra $200 for the resizing fee, gold, diamonds. Perhaps since you''re going down in size, it will just be a flat $30 fee, as Cellentani mentioned.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 8:53:05 AM

Well, if you''re going up in size, he will charge extra for more diamonds and gold, and the resizing fee is $30. To resize the ring to fit your finger is another $10. In all, I paid around an extra $200 for the resizing fee, gold, diamonds. Perhaps since you''re going down in size, it will just be a flat $30 fee, as Cellentani mentioned.
And he won''t modify his charges if he''s using less diamonds - I''ve checked.
7.gif
And when you upgrade, you pay to upgrade the full diamond weight in the auction, not the weight you end up with.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2009 8:58:54 AM
Author: cellentani

Date: 7/1/2009 8:53:05 AM

And he won''t modify his charges if he''s using less diamonds - I''ve checked.
7.gif
And when you upgrade, you pay to upgrade the full diamond weight in the auction, not the weight you end up with.
Yes, he won''t modify the charges for less gold and less diamonds, but I think $30 is a reasonable price for a custom sized head. I understand he has to charge more for upgrading to a larger size ring. I forgot to mention that I paid around $200 extra for upgraded diamonds (VS full cut), upgraded gold (18K) and the upgrade fee $30 and the resizing fee ($10) and I thought that was reasonable. You really can''t find customized rings for cheaper anywhere else (unless someone knows??).

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah I did ask for the diamond upgrade but didn''t think much because the setting only had .29tcw. I guess the added cost comes from more diamonds and gold for the larger setting but going from 6.6mm setting with .29tcw to 8.6mm will cost $239+$30 labor charge on top of the original cost, which more than doubled the original setting price
23.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
That does seem a bit high. I think I''d ask him what diamond weight your 8.6mm will have, because upgrading .29ct should only be $72. And sure, there will be more gold, but not that much.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have several pictures of my 6mm next to my 8.3 mm version of this setting in the below links, so you can judge if it's worth paying around $200 extra. The yellow gold one is 18K and the white gold one is 14K. Both have upgraded diamonds. I also think there is some custom work molding the setting to be proportionalized for the larger head. In all, I didn't think it was too bad a fee, but I understand if others feel that it's too much.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/customized-logr-with-cuprian.116234/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-selection-of-colored-gems.116486/

ETA: I counted up the number of diamonds, and if I counted right, there were only two extra diamonds on the larger setting. There are the same amount on the shanks of both settings. There is a substantial amount of extra gold though IMO.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Charmypoo! Are there any sellers that you recommend?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 9:19:40 AM
I have several pictures of my 6mm next to my 8.3 mm version of this setting in the below links, so you can judge if it''s worth paying around $200 extra. The yellow gold one is 18K and the white gold one is 14K. Both have upgraded diamonds. I also think there is some custom work molding the setting to be proportionalized for the larger head. In all, I didn''t think it was too bad a fee, but I understand if others feel that it''s too much.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/customized-logr-with-cuprian.116234/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-selection-of-colored-gems.116486/

ETA: I counted up the number of diamonds, and if I counted right, there were only two extra diamonds on the larger setting. There are the same amount on the shanks of both settings. There is a substantial amount of extra gold though IMO.

I''m debating going up to 18k also. I love the warmth of your 18k; it makes the whole piece look so much richer! I know if I ask my mom though, she''ll tell me she doesn''t need anything so I can''t really ask her. I think I might have to pick between upgrading the diamonds or the gold.

One more question: My diamond is actually about 4.9mm around; should I ask them to fit a 4.9mm stone or just say 5mm, so that at least it will be bigger rather than accidentally smaller?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
If I go with this setting, I think I can afford to go upgrade diamonds and gold. Do you guys think its worth it? Or go with the split shank, which I think is a prettier setting altogether?

logr5mmsmall.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 9:08:10 AM
Author: Babyblue033
Yeah I did ask for the diamond upgrade but didn''t think much because the setting only had .29tcw. I guess the added cost comes from more diamonds and gold for the larger setting but going from 6.6mm setting with .29tcw to 8.6mm will cost $239+$30 labor charge on top of the original cost, which more than doubled the original setting price
23.gif
I had a similar experience inquiring about a setting from LOGR. I was quoted $79 for the change plus a non-refundable $80 labor fee. That alone nearly doubled the price of the setting and put it just out of my ideal price range, which is too bad. I still love that setting. The setting would accomodate a 4.5mm stone and I wanted it for a 6mm stone. I almost wish I''d have gotten it anyway since I pretty much had my heart set on it. I just had a moment of sticker shock and backed out of bidding any higher. I''m still watching for it to come back up for a lower starting bid.
7.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2009 2:32:51 PM
Author: szh07

I''m debating going up to 18k also. I love the warmth of your 18k; it makes the whole piece look so much richer! I know if I ask my mom though, she''ll tell me she doesn''t need anything so I can''t really ask her. I think I might have to pick between upgrading the diamonds or the gold.

One more question: My diamond is actually about 4.9mm around; should I ask them to fit a 4.9mm stone or just say 5mm, so that at least it will be bigger rather than accidentally smaller?
Make it for 5mm. It''s always good to have it a tad bit larger.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2009 2:38:03 PM
If I go with this setting, I think I can afford to go upgrade diamonds and gold. Do you guys think its worth it? Or go with the split shank, which I think is a prettier setting altogether?
I might go with this setting for my 4.8mm pink diamond. I think it''s pretty and well priced, however, the split shank has an antique feel to it. It''s really a beautiful setting and probably one of the most popular settings he has. I just have two already, and if I had a third, oh my!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Oh my!
30.gif

A pink diamond in that setting sounds amazing. I have a champagne-pinkish diamond that is a little bit less than .25, and I have always wanted to see it in a ring with a rose gold bezel and a diamond halo. I''ve tried to take pictures of it, but its so small that it is hard to photograph, and usually winds up looking dark even with a lamp or flash. Right now, its in a white gold pendant, which I don''t think does it any justice at all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond melees in that setting look really tiny – I’m not sure if you’ll see any difference if you upgrade the stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2009 9:08:23 PM
Oh my!
30.gif

A pink diamond in that setting sounds amazing. I have a champagne-pinkish diamond that is a little bit less than .25, and I have always wanted to see it in a ring with a rose gold bezel and a diamond halo. I''ve tried to take pictures of it, but its so small that it is hard to photograph, and usually winds up looking dark even with a lamp or flash. Right now, its in a white gold pendant, which I don''t think does it any justice at all.
I have a 52 point champagne pink diamond in a Jewe2004 rose gold halo. I first had it set in a pure white gold setting, and
14.gif

I made the decision to take it out of there and reset it in a rose gold halo. The difference is amazing. You can see before and after pics on this page. It''s in the middle of the page or thereabouts.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colored-stone-e-rings-eyecandy.29435/page-28

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that is just gorgeous! I love the reset, it definitely makes all the difference. It is actually just about the same color as mine! I am going to try to take some pictures of it tonight; its really tiny though. My BF bought me the pendant for our one year anniversary/my birthday.
1.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Here it is, this sort of shows the color the best. I wish I could capture the way it sparkles!

pkchcolor.JPG

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Depending on the lighting, it looks more pink or brown. I think it has a nice earthy feeling. I told my BF that I loved colored diamonds, but not treated ones, and he picked this pendant out with his step-mom and gave me champagne studs to go along with it. I wasn''t expecting it at all and I was pretty blown away when I saw it. Its definitely so much prettier in real life!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 12:08:56 AM
Depending on the lighting, it looks more pink or brown. I think it has a nice earthy feeling. I told my BF that I loved colored diamonds, but not treated ones, and he picked this pendant out with his step-mom and gave me champagne studs to go along with it. I wasn''t expecting it at all and I was pretty blown away when I saw it. Its definitely so much prettier in real life!
Szh07,
That''s a beautiful diamond!! Thank you for sharing the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results