shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

He was very hopeful after pre-forming, but once he got in there he had to take more off than he had hoped to get around some inclusions and fractures. :( He said he'd be happy to try and find me some larger rough (because what he has left wouldn't be large enough) but mentioned sapphire rough has gone up about 25% within the last year. So that's something to consider too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bummer. Yeah, and those prices keep going up too.

S

SparkliesLuver

I know. ;( I think I might have him keep an eye out for a piece that might work and let me know if/when he does. Can't hurt because obviously sapphire would be much more durable than tourmaline in any setting I'd choose.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had never heard of Trudy or Gem Hunters and just went and checked out their website. If only apatite wasn't so soften because they have some gorgeous smalls for sale in groups. Just lovely!

S

SparkliesLuver

minousbijoux said:
I had never heard of Trudy or Gem Hunters and just went and checked out their website. If only apatite wasn't so soften because they have some gorgeous smalls for sale in groups. Just lovely!

She's been great. Actually just sent me 3 more tourmaline options.

I know! I feel the same. :)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry the Aussie sapphire didn't work out for you Sparklies but you now have a number of vendors/cutters on the lookout so hopefully something will surface soon. Perhaps you'll also hear from Wilds soon about their tourmaline.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks, Starzin.

I still haven't heard from Wilds but I did hear from Prima yesterday! Jenna sent me 5 options (3 zircon, 2 tourmaline) and I swooned over 2 zircons. So she's sending them to me; I should have them in a couple days. I'm pretty darn excited!

If these don't work out, I'm going to seriously consider purchasing a large piece of sapphire rough and having it cut. Most likely the same vendor who did the Australian rough that didn't work out. He's been great to "work" with. That'll obviously be more time consuming, risky and expensive, but a sapphire is a sapphire.

One step at a time. I thought I'd post the vendor pics that got me swooning. She said they were showing more blue in the pictures than what she was seeing (she was seeing more teal) so I thought I'd note that.

Both are blue zircon, from Cambodia and heat treated.
Weight: 6.82 cts
Dimensions: 8.1 X 10.8 mm

Weight: 7.19 cts
Dimensions: 8.7 x 10.5 mm

As always, I welcome your thoughts. :naughty:

blue_zircon_6.jpg

blue_zircon_7.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Look to have distinct promise - but we've said that before ;))

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1407499639|3728463 said:
DandT: Remember the green tourmaline you bought and returned? :love: I was hoping for something along that size but not quite as big. What size is your ring or middle finger?

Oh geez - SparkliesLuver, I don't frequent PS much and hardly remember to click on the threads I posted in :oops: I'm so sorry for the super late reply.

That Asscher Tourmaline was Roger Dery Cut and DBL has it. it was 11mm I believer, Too large for me unfortunately plus the depth was too much for me as well. My ring size is 4.75... I have a 10x7.5mm Green/Blue Tourmaline with 1 pointers diamonds on the shank. Its a tad too large for me still and is set super low but it is a statement piece. The keel of the gemstone sits just about 1mm from touching my finger.

Does this help in size reference?

csringsdt_001.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the mm sizes large enough for you? :cheeky:

S

SparkliesLuver

I know, Starzin, we have, haven't we?! haha I should receive them tomorrow at work, so I'm hating the waiting game right now.

DandT: No worries at all! Really. Just glad you found the thread again. :) I posed the question to you before I knew what size or color I wanted. My fingers are way larger than yours, so I am after a 10mm stone. I've also determined I want something in the blue-green family as opposed to just green or just blue. Your tourmaline is very pretty! I can see why you say it's a statement piece. :lickout: By the way, thank you for the lovely group shot! :love: Is the second ring a red spinel? If so, that's the next and last stone I want to find.

haha I figured someone would give me a hard time about that, Chrono. ;-) I can tell just by looking at her fingers that they're much thinner (and younger) than mine, so I'm sure the stones won't look as large on my hand. But I was quite excited once I saw the color and the mm sizes. :naughty:

S

SparkliesLuver

While I'm waiting I thought I'd put this design out there and get opinions. Does anyone have something similar or have you seen something like it IRL? I thought it was different yet neat, but I can't totally picture it IRL in my head. Would it work?

_22682.jpg

idea1.jpg

idea2.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awww sparkliesluver.. you are too kind... young.. yippee. though I don't feel it ::)

That setting is beautiful, however I feel you could achieve a similar look by putting the gem in a simple thin shank solitaire with a basket that sits on the finger, and Pair it with two diamond band- the basket will create a gap look so the bands don't sit flush which will give similar negative space, so you can interchange the look possibly and can mix and match bands- you'll have three strands one being plain in the middle flanked by diamonds on each side.

S

SparkliesLuver

:)

Reading your alternate design suggestion, I just realized why I like it. haha Look familiar? Please excuse the awful yellow office lighting and dirty ring. :oops: Not sure DH would be too happy if I did something this similar. Gah.

img_5641.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I love love that look :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous zircons! Which do you like best?
I love them both but have a slight preference for the 2nd stone because of the blue/green colour and cushion shape.

S

SparkliesLuver

Glad you think so, Acinom! At first I favored the first but the more I look at the pictures (which is often), I definitely favor the second for the exact two reasons you listed. Can't wait to get them tomorrow!

S

SparkliesLuver

They've arrived! I was so excited when I glimpsed inside the package and saw the color :love: ... and the size :appl: ... and then the window. ;(

*sigh* I didn't know I could be happy and upset at the same time.

The color is definitely more oceanic and teal in person than the pictures. Jenna's description of the color was spot-on; they do show up more blue in pictures. I'm not interested in the emerald cut; I actually haven't even taken it out of the box. The cushion is gorgeous but I can't stop staring at the window. I can see it straight-on and from the side. That leads me to my biggest question: are there windows in most zircons and tourmalines (or at least a tilt window)? When do they tend to close up in a setting?

These pictures were quickly taken at my desk (at work), so excuse the poor lighting. I plan to take more on the walk outside to my car and at home in various rooms. I have a couple weeks with the stones, so I'm definitely going to take my time deciding since the color and size are there.

img_5657.jpg

img_5658.jpg

img_5661.jpg

img_5662.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour of the cushion is mesmerizing :love:
The experts will surely be able to inform you about the window closing a bit or not.

The size and colour are there indeed! It's good that you take your time to decide and that you will be able to view the stone in various lightings.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1411754472|3757442 said:
That leads me to my biggest question: are there windows in most zircons and tourmalines (or at least a tilt window)? When do they tend to close up in a setting?
Do you have a picture of it from the side? That might help to figure out exactly what is going on with the cut.

I will tell you from the vendor photo, it looks as though the cushion's culet is potentially off center.

Zircons actually have a high RI, while tourmaline has a low RI. This stone should be much more sparkly than the previous tourmaline, and you should see more dispersion (rainbows). So theoretically the higher RI should mask a tilt window, but the cause for a window is that the pavilion is cut at the wrong angles for light to be reflected back to the eye. This is probably due to the off center culet/a fatter pavilion, due to trying to preserve carat weight.

Do you want a precision cut stone? Do you want to take a risk with a recut?

It's possible that if you set it a certain way, with metal under the window, it could help mask the window, but it's never entirely going to go away.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks, Acinom. I feel the same way about the color!

It's definitely more sparkly than the tourmaline, FrekeChild. Yes, ideally I want a precision cut stone. I already sent the measurements (and some pictures) to Jerry to ask about a re-cut and he said it's too far gone. Unfortunate, but it is what it is from that perspective.

I was able to take one from the side. Does this help?

img_5663.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's hard to tell. Jerry said it was a no-go to rework the pavilion and save the faceup size? Is the color/size combo enough to get you over the "this has a small window that may or may not be less noticeable in a setting" issue?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like the color of the cushion, but based on the side view of the pavilion, it looks a little shallow.

How does it look between your fingers? Is the window big, from a straight on position? In the Prima photo, which is straight on in between fingers, I do not see an obvious window.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The colour does indeed live up to expectations - gorgeous! Oceanic is right :))

A pity that Jerry can't tweak the pavilion for you but as Preg said, it doesn't appear that obvious from pictures on the hand. The saturation and RI also helps mask it but in the end only you can decide if it bothers you - and will continue to bother you - enough to return it.

A solid but pierced gallery will help a little given the pictures on hand that were sent to you and your own.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh, the flat crown syndromme. Sorry that the window bothers you and cannot be closed. Can you still see through the stone when it is between your fingers? That simulates the stone being set. If it isn't obvious, then a setting with a gallery will help mask the window.

S

SparkliesLuver

FrekeChild: Correct, that's what Jerry said. :( I'm not sure enough yet to answer your second question. I had family staying with me all weekend so unfortunately I didn't get any "play time."

Preg: I hope to be able to answer your questions this week. I wasn't able to spend any time with the stone last weekend. It drove me nuts! I wanted to escape from family stuff for a little while but didn't get to. :Up_to_something:

Starzin: I know, the color is indeed very pretty! I wonder how common or uncommon this color actually is. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it this week. :)

Chrono. I hadn't even thought of that. Maybe that's why when she initially sent me the measurements depth wasn't included? I didn't even think to ask for it at the time. Thank you. I'm not totally sure yet - I need to spend more time with the stone.

I will say this: even if I can't see through the stone in my hand or the box, it still looks as though there isn't much in the center. Does that make sense? I assume this isn't precision cut, then. I look forward to spending more time with it this week though.

Side note: the vendor who cut the last sapphire (that ended up being too small and not working out) has two new pieces of large rough on their way. I'm quite interested to see how that plays out.

Oh, and I hope to have an update from Dana early this week, too. ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I'd like to move away from Precision Cut vs non Precision Cut aka Native Cut. There are well cut and poorly cut examples of both types of cutting. Suffice it to say, it's not well cut enough for you. It was faceted as such to save weight.

S

SparkliesLuver

I can understand that, Chrono. And unfortunately it probably isn't well cut enough for me. I just can't help but wonder, then, if every stone I find will have that issue (since size is a factor). :wall:

Starzin: I wanted to mention that I'm considering gem silica for a future project. :D I've always loved mood rings, so I thought a cab would look great in such a setting. Thank you for pointing them out to me! I've started my research. :read:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Gem silica is lovely but a mood ring setting? Not sure I understand what that is - I tend to think of mood rings as those things that are supposed to be heat sensitive colour changers and I don't know that I've ever paid attention to the settings :???:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prima will tweak stones to a better cut if you request it. Jaimeen can give an estimate as to the carat weight loss and the estimated final mm size. This is for future reference if you are still checking out Prima's inventory.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results