shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find an oval blue/green spinel Please!

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any additional stone suggestions? Even pre-owned stones? I would be very happy to hear feedback from anyone. Thank you so much! Everyone in CS is immensely helpful and selfless, much like all PS'ers, I find :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You wrote NO yellow but any chance she will consider yellow green / green yellow? Chrysoberyl isn't the colour for most people but it has great sparkle and is very durable, more so than spinel. It is also more affordable than spinel and sapphire, plus zero treatment. Just throwing it out there, that's all.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all very much for your advice and guidance. It really means a lot to me, and I cannot wait to complete my mom's ring and hopefully post pics here if I can find a decent camera (I am so very bad at posting pics of my completed projects, as I have no good camera).

I ended up choosing the below blue precision-cut spinel, cut by John at GemRite. I think it is beautiful, and I showed it to my mom (the recipient of the stone in her ring), and she loved it. The price ($75) was also VERY reasonable. Both she and I liked this stone way more than even stones that cost over twice as much. Also, John B. at Gemrite was very quick and friendly in his correspondence. I also REALLY like the fact that I am purchasing directly from the lapidary who precision cut the stone. Very cool, as it makes it much more personal.

blue_spinel_oval.jpg

Thank you VERY much to marymm for suggesting this stone to me. Thank you also to every single person who contributed their advice. You guys and gals are truly a wealth of knowledge!

- Jeff

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you found something you liked because what you were originally looking for doesn't exist in spinel, except synthetic.

Make sure to post the finished product!!!!!!!!!!!! :appl: :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice. We'll all look forward to your review and the finished product.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Please post photos of the finished ring.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - glad you are having the GemRite spinel shipped to you - I really hope it is the right stone for your Mom's ring!

May I recommend, before going straight to the re-set, please take time to look the stone in various lighting conditions (inside, outside, under LEDs, incandescent, flourescent, etc.) - just to be sure this Spinel is the one that speaks to your Mom (and you). John knows, as do all the PS vendors, that while photos and videos are the best available means of conveying color and cut when buying online, nothing beats an in-person examination - and taking advantage of a return policy and looking further is far better than "making do" with a stone that turns out to be darker or otherwise than expected.

I look forward to your update once the Spinel arrives!

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all very much for your kind words, and thanks again particularly to marymm. I will be sure to inspect the stone in various different lighting conditions, and view it at different angles, etc. I will also be sure to do this with my mother present, as she will be wearing the stone, and her opinion matters most. I am predicting that she will love it under any lighting conditions, as she is not a very particular person when it comes to these things (unlike me), and she just loved the cut and the color of the stone. The cut is exquisite. If it does not go dark too excessively, I think we will keep it, but I will let you all know, and I will try to borrow a nice camera to post pics of this project, as well as a completed project that Daniel M did for me awhile ago - a sliding bezel halo peridot (my son's birthstone) pendant in argentium silver. A beautiful piece at a great price! You gotta love Caren and Dan! Thanks again! I will certainly post again (probably in a new bling thread) soon. Take care!

- Jeff

sweetgems

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi there!!

I have had 100% fabulous results from multicolour.com
Gemselect is also a great site.
service from both sites is first-rate.
Interestingly enough, shipping from Thiland to Bermuda is faster than from USA....
The shipping costs from the above sites are the same if you purchase 1 gemstone or 12...
Look forward to seeing your Spinel set!!! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results