shape
carat
color
clarity

Graff 8.32 carat ruby sells for 8.6 million!

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Yes Absolutely!! and there is no visible speck or a cleavage or any blemish anywhere even at 20X. This has never been mounted in any setting so far all these 48 years since aquired.(1964-65)-akmraju

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1416405950|3786400 said:
Very big, very red and very clean. I'd definitely get it checked out - it's either a whopping rarity that is worth an unbelievable amount of money or well, no need for me to say it.

I'm not going to say it either, but please get it checked out. Please report back. Thanks.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1416410843|3786441 said:
Chrono|1416405950|3786400 said:
Very big, very red and very clean. I'd definitely get it checked out - it's either a whopping rarity that is worth an unbelievable amount of money or well, no need for me to say it.

I'm not going to say it either, but please get it checked out. Please report back. Thanks.

+1, please report back.

akmraju

Rough_Rock
You have no idea how much it meant for me reading your replies. Thank you so much TL, Chrono, LoversKites. I will not forget the excitement your replies created in me. I will certainly come back to you with my report and next steps. I'm excited because, from someones perspective it may seem like some well cooked story about inheriting from garnd dad etc. for me it is REAL and sitting on this excitement all for myself. I have done the basic tests with my polariscope, dichroscope, spectroscope and UV light. I will share a pic of how it glows like FIRE under UV light.
-AKM
* took this pic a minute ago.

rdb2.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Is it really loupeclean...?

No indication for a natural or synthetic ruby - it is nearly impossible to have a loupeclean burmese ruby in this size....!??

I wish for you it is natural - but there is a much much higher chance that it is synthetic!!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
But you can send it to me - I'll check this ruby for the next let' s 40 years and some here will help me :D :D !!!

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Yes its too perfect to believe, I could see some very thin silk needles (or marks left when faceting) running across in the centre of the stone. I guess only a test by a gemological laboratory can tell what it is. Were the Burmese or anyone synthesizing Rubies prior to 1960? or any idea when were synthetic rubies hitting the markets?.
I could see the two dark bands at ~450 - 500 region on the spectrum to the right (red) side and one thicker one on the left (blue) side. which convinced me as a signature of Burma ruby. as said, I did the basic tests like double refraction, and UV too. Also in India the prices were not even close to be called premium for rubies in 1960s. which means for someone to create a ruby and sell in those days should be more expensive than bargaining with local Goldsmiths who dismounts any stones in a jewelry and melt away the gold which is more precious to sell.Gold in India in 1964 was a dollar for 10grams. I mean this is my reasoning, and of course that doenst make a synthetic into a real one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The actual process of experimenting with synthetic corundum began in the early 1880s. If I recall correctly, Vernuil discovered flame fusion in the late 1880s and successfully created synthetic ruby using this method in the early 1900s that were large enough to be used in jewellery. Flux melt came about in the mid 1950s by Chatham.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Silk inclusions:

Try a strong light source - LED - from the side ( stone hold with a tweezer ). I use a cheap 10 EUR LED from IKEA!!! :D

But you see the silk ( have a very clean ruby from Burma) the contrast is higher...

A 9+ ruby - this color and clarity - I doubt it it would be a secret in Burma except one person found it, cut it and hide it!!

Larger rubies were always f***ing expensive!!!

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Now it's all upto AGL to tel what it is. If it is what I m thinking, we all meet in Las Vegas for sure.-akmraju

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
akmraju|1416406591|3786407 said:
Yes Absolutely!! and there is no visible speck or a cleavage or any blemish anywhere even at 20X. This has never been mounted in any setting so far all these 48 years since aquired.(1964-65)-akmraju

Did you check the growth lines? Curved ones are a classic feature in flame fusion synthetic rubies.

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Dioptase Thanks, Not yet but will do tomorrow.I got a strong LED lamp as suggested by Marlov, what I understand is that I got to upgrade my testing equipment as well besides upgrading the photographability of the ruby ( well, want AGL to say that it is, till then I'd want to call it a ruby)

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
Did you check the growth lines? Curved ones are a classic feature in flame fusion synthetic rubies.[/quote]

and if straight growth lines ?

dscf1540.jpg

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tariq wali|1416602171|3788157 said:
and if straight growth lines ?

Then you know it's not a flame fusion synthetic. You need to search for more clues in the stone, you can't rule out synthetic just with this alone.
Flux melt synthetic rubies (Ramaura, Kashan, Knischka and so on) can show the hexagonal growth lines, just like the natural stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results