shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally, my dream Spess, now how to set it?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelli, your spess has size and "presence" and thus looks really good in a minimalist white setting.
I think the OP's stone would also.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I think hers will be a stunner (like yours :love: ) no matter what she does with it. Looking forward to seeing it!

Trill

Rough_Rock
Yummy spess! :love: Oh, I'm terrible at giving setting advice, but I like the solitare idea. WG vs YG...either would be lovely!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tried to take better pics...miserable fail, but I"ll share anyways.

I'm tempted to do a simple solitaire for now just because it means I"ll get to wear it sooner!

img_3464.jpg

img_5237.jpg

img_3465.jpg

img_3467.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, white gold or yellow gold...
I think I"m leaning towards white just because yellow and orange and my skin tone would all just blend together. :/

img_5247.jpg

img_5252.jpg

img_5255.jpg

img_5256.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
last two...

Seriously...white or yellow..>GAH

img_5260.jpg

img_3469.jpg

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful color! I guess the decision between white and yellow gold boils down to whether you want the stone to "pop" from its setting or you want the setting to blend a bit more with the stone. I vote for white gold or platinum, with yummy claw prongs. It's going to look gorgeous no matter what you do with it! :mrgreen:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can you put it next to yellow gold and white gold on your hand? I think that would help us see it better.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. I might also ask my jeweler if she can change out the head of my van Craeynest for 18k yellow to fit the spess...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's a thought: at quick glance, the stone sorta blends into your skin a bit. Yellow gold would be subtler and white gold would be more noticeable. IMO, white gold would make it pop more against your skin and command more attention - just because it provides a bit more contrast.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
MTG can you post a pic of your Van Craeynest... never mind I found it on LT and my vote is YES!!

I was looking for a YG and a WG set spess to post for comparison before seeing your post re the VC and I found this - just have to post it...

hand-engraved-317-carat-spessartite-dia-ring-udu2ny0xmzaxnjmundqxnti5.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, so I was late night browsing ebay for semi mounts just to get an idea of what was out there, ended up putting in half hearted offer on a white gold setting because it looked pretty, and was sort of surprised the offer was accepted, lol. Mostly because it's about how much the scrap gold would likely cost. Anyways, here's a picture, might be awhile before it gets here and set though.

_14592.jpg

_14593.jpg

__kgrhqnhjbkfjsd5_dkbbsym_0jvuq__60_57.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oh well done! That was quick and easy :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That works. :))

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's my favorite style for a solitaire setting - I'm sure the spess will absolutely shine in it! Well done!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1391737208|3609654 said:
Oh well done! That was quick and easy :))

Easy? Yes.
Quick? Well, it's chinese new years so nothing will be shipped out for another week, and even then, I have to wait for it to get here from China, so it might be well into March before it's set and on my finger. Luckily I'm not in a rush :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I'm now having doubts about whether white gold was the right call....gah. I might ask them about upgrading to 18k yellow...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Made up my mind. Switched from 14k white to 18 k yellow! Mwahaha

blingyjules

Rough_Rock
A yellow gold solitaire was just what I was thinking when I started reading the thread. Will look gorgeous I'm sure :D Pics when its set please.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingyjules|1392041230|3611855 said:
A yellow gold solitaire was just what I was thinking when I started reading the thread. Will look gorgeous I'm sure :D Pics when its set please.

Yeah, I decided I wanted a warm ball of sunshine. We'll see what the quality of the setting is, if it's nice, I might go back to them since the prices were pretty reasonable.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! It will look gorgeous. My vote was for 18k yellow too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't go wrong with 18K yellow gold for your spessartite. :))

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1392135645|3612781 said:
Can't go wrong with 18K yellow gold for your spessartite. :))

That's what I figured.
And I just don't own much 18k yellow gold jewelery, so I thought it'd be nice to add one.

Now I just have to twiddle my thumbs and wait for the setting to get here from china....blarg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 weeks' wait or is it longer due to the Chinese New Year holidays?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1392219796|3613555 said:
2 weeks' wait or is it longer due to the Chinese New Year holidays?

I ended up paying the extra 20$ for express UPS shipment cause I'm impatient, so I have the setting now!
Off to jeweler tomorrow, I doubt she'll be able to set it the same day though...don't know if I'll give in to impatience and take it to one of the many quick setters on jewelers row or wait a few days for her to do it....
I trust her more, but it's a pretty straight forward setting job..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better wait a little and have her do it. It would be horrible if a different bench nicked a facet junction since it is a garnet and most shops are more used to harder stones such as diamonds and sapphires. I've had 2 different benches damage my spinels and I thought those are quite hardy stones!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, that sounds scary. Can you recommend someone who knows how to set spinel? I would be so sad if my spinel was damaged.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Kelli. I love that look. Didn't think I would but I definitely do.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
picked up the ring today, as well as another ring I just set with a barry purple spinel.

Took some quick cell phone pics of the spess ring just because I'm excited, will take better pics and start a new thread with all my recent CS additions sometime this weekend!

photo_1__2_7.jpg

photo_573.jpg

photo_3__2_5.jpg

photo_4__2_2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results