color
clarity

Color blind and bad eyesight need help buying sapphire, plz

James_K

Rough_Rock
Re: Color blind and bad eyesight need help buying sapphire,

A few notes:
1) I swear the stone appears much more violet in person
2) I was amazed at the difference between the close up outdoors (with the tweezers) and the close up on my fingers. One seemed immaculate and the other with very visible inclusions.
3) My local (and respected) jeweler said the price I paid was very reasonable and it would be much more valuable if it didnt have as much violet as it has

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How accurate are these pictures? If they are as you see the stone (or rather someone who isn't colour blind), then I would be slightly disappointed upon receiving the stone. The outdoor indirect light is closest to the vendor's picture although I did not expect the silkiness to be this obvious. It also lost quite a bit of saturation indoors. Given the fact that it isn't expensive, perhaps the faults can be forgiven although I still did not expect the sapphire to look like this.

If it looks included on your hand, is it because it is picking up dirt and oils from your hand?

A touch of violet is desirable but if the violet component is strong, it should be less expensive. How strong is the violet outdoors? Your local jeweller isn't biased because you aren't getting the stone from him, is he?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok - first of all the "inclusions" you're seeing is dust/oil from your fingers! Give it a gentle wash and then avoid touching the stone with your hands - use a cloth or better still tweezers if you have them.

I don't think your photos can be accurate because none of them show any particular strength of violet. In fact, I'm struggling to see violet at all (and I love violet in blue stones so I'm particularly keen on seeing it!).

I agree with Chrono that seeing some violet can be desirable. Not quite sure where your jeweller is coming from with his comment.

IF the photos are accurate then I also think you've paid a fair price (actually very fair) for the stone based on the colour and I wouldn't be worried at all.

So, you've had it for a day or two. What do YOU think?

James_K

Rough_Rock

I should have explained a few things in a little more detail.

I dont believe the photos show the color accurately. I showed the stone to a few people and they all noticed a fair bit of violet, not just a hint. Also, I figure that since I see violet (and I generally struggle to differentiate violet from blue) it must have some in it. I also asked to see it in a platinum halo setting just to make sure the color would be the same in a setting.

The jeweler's comment was more of a summary of our conversation. He didnt say, "You paid a fair price for the stone, it would be worth more if it wasnt SO violet." I just asked him what he thought of the color (since it was a concern) and he replied that the stone was blue but not the what the typical generalization of a sapphire is. A random nearby woman asked if it was tanzanite. I believe that the jeweler was being honest because I have a pretty good relationship with him and am a regular customer....bought over 3k of precious metals this week even.

I may have made the mistake of only posting the best pics in the previous few posts. Below is another pic.

My overall feeling on the stone: I love it but I think I would like something more blue. :(
That being said, Ill probably still think about keeping it.

20130213_140928.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, that last photo does show violet.

You need to be aware that nearly all blue sapphires will show violet especially in incandescent lighting.

Looking like a Tanzanite actually isn't a bad thing!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are absolutely correct that we don't want to see glamour shots but pictures of the stone that shows its colour accurately. The latest picture tells me nothing colour-wise, unfortunately. All I see is some shadowing.

Asking a random woman is also of little help as we don't know how well versed she is with coloured stones. Do note that some tanzanite have such amazing blue colouration that puts most blue sapphires to shame. :cheeky:
http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-gems/detail.php?pid=2185&cPage=2&sort=&perpage=8&cat=&display1=1&display2=&display3=0&category=13&variety=240&key=&match=&indicate=&reserve_type=&pagefrom=search

I would not want you to purchase something you aren't feeling the love for.

product_image2.jpg

James_K

Rough_Rock

Ive got a little to think about. Its such a nice stone but yet its not exactly what I am looking for. If I keep it Im sure that it will still look great in a ring, If I dont keep it I think I will feel kinda feel guilty because all of you were so helpful and spent do much time and effort helping me out. Ill let you guys know what I decide.

You all are wonderful. Thanks again.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

James, please only keep the stone if you really love it. We will all continue to help - that's not a problem! My main concern for you is finding what you want (which is actually quite specific) at a good price in a reasonable time frame. Please please please don't keep it if you think it's not "the one" - if you continue looking and keep this stone presumably your budget will be impacted.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock

Please don't keep it if you don't like it! Don't worry about bothering us, we're happy to keep looking at stones for you. This is quite a fair amount to spend on a stone that you seem to not really like so...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here are some other options you may want to look at:

http://www.simplysapphires.com/blue/ceylon-cushion-cut-blue-sapphire-1.84-cts-8x6x4.5mm Might be too dark

http://www.simplysapphires.com/blue/ceylon-blue-cushion-cut-sapphire-1.14-cts-6.2x4.8x4.1mm This has a very noticeable bow tie

http://www.simplysapphires.com/blue/ceylon-blue-sapphire-cushion-cut-1.53-cts-6.8x5.5x4.7mm Again a bow tie but a bit less noticeable

http://www.simplysapphires.com/blue/ceylon-cushion-cut-blue-sapphire-1.14-cts-6.5x5.2x3.9mm Has some violet in it

http://www.simplysapphires.com/blue/ceylon-cushion-cut-blue-sapphire-1.22-cts-6.6x5.2x4.2mm Dark but might be worth exploring

http://www.simplysapphires.com/blue/ceylon-cushion-cut-blue-sapphire-1.61-cts-7.1x5.7x4.9mm Might be a little dark but the cut isn't bad on this one

http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/untreated-blue-sapphire-diamond-platinum-ring-3.93-ctw I know this is a ring and it's really not to my taste (and I suspect not to yours either) but I love the central stone. It has some colour changing properties but the blue (which is the daylight colour) is really lovely. Just throwing it in as a wild card!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

James, do you have an iPhone? If you do, try taking a picture with that and see if the color is more accurate. I recently did that (and posted the pics), and I was very surprised at how much more accurate the color is. A few other posters have said this in the past, so I decided to try it.

James_K

Rough_Rock

I dont have an iPhone, just my Galaxy S3 but Ive decided to send the stone back regardless and continue my search for "the stone." Still, Ill keep that in mind for when I next take pics. I can just borrow one quick.

LD: Oh, how you make my life difficult!! ;-) I had decided to continue my search for a gem that is around 2ct, a relatively square 6.5-7mm, and a bold blue with very little to no violet. So, I believe I can rule out the first few due to the proportions but your wild card.....well, Ive got to admit, I think that ring is very nice. Id be curious to see what others here have to say about the setup and stone. Here is another setup with a certified stone from the same site. I like the stone more than the ring.
http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/certified-rich-blue-sapphire-diamond-platinum-ring-2.58-ctw?cPath=214&
Also, are bow ties the dark shapes radiating out from the center in 2 directions when looking at the stone from above?

I spoke with a local jeweler who located a stone just over 2ct, 7mm square, and hopefully the blue I am looking for. The price is $3500 which is within my budget however, like I said in my first post, I am a value shopper and not a price shopper. Id be more inclined to spend $3500 on a great value than $1500 on a "just okay" value. Still, $1750/ct seems pretty high. Im assuming because its a B&M.

Here is another one Im currently considering......
http://www.simplysapphires.com/blue/ceylon-blue-cushion-cut-sapphire-53.90-carats-20.9x18.6mm?cPath=214&

This whole process has been a learning experience and Im glad I have you guys as teachers. Thank you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

James you'll have to forgive me because I'm not in the US but I believe the general opinion is that B&Ms are not the place to buy coloured gemstones because (a) you pay a mark up (b) the quality of gemstones is usually far less than you can source with the vendors listed on this website (c) if you read the sticky thread "new to gemstones, read this first ....." you'll see that the price per carat with coloured gemstones, especially corundum, is highly dependent on treatment levels. Most B&Ms can't give you this information and so the price may be arbitary.

Whilst I love the stone in the wild card ring, the ring itself is (in my opinion) bulky and looks a bit old fashioned (I apologise to anybody who likes it). Also, the baguettes are not great. If you look at the photos you'll see that many of them are included. On the plus side, it's a platinum ring and heavy so you're getting your money's worth! I would be tempted to ask if they would sell you the stone by itself. John, who runs that website, works with a lady called Jill Underhill to make jewellery from some of his stones. I'm not sure whether John or Jill have this but it's worth emailing John.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious|1360935417|3380698 said:
http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/step-cut-ceylon-sapphire-pave-diamond-ring-14kwg?cPath=135&
I like this one a lot. Per the description, it is a tad darker in real life, which makes it perfect. It is a perfect square, colouration is strong and blue, just the right mm and good cutting. Please reserve this ASAP.

http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/large-certified-princess-cut-sapphire-diamond-platinum-ring-2.04-ctw?cPath=135&
Nice choice but not as good as the first. A small window but shouldn't be all that bad. It is going to be more brilliant than the first one though.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Chrono. I trust your eye, and it's good to know that the first one is good. If I were looking for a sapphire, I would buy this one myself, but I am saving for a setting. It's so hard to not keep on buying gems!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Funnily enough I discounted the square because of the size and shape! I love it too!

James where are you? Get reserving quick!!!!! ;-)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I should have just posted the pic, then waited on until he was here. I am worried about a lurker taking it.

James, the description says that it looks like the 2nd pic in real life, so it should be darker than the 1st pic, which is good. I just wanted to make sure you saw that and weren't disappointed if/when it comes in real life.

Here are 2 other options. I wanted to make sure you saw everything available in a square shape:
I think it is smaller than you wanted, and a princess, but it is unheated:
http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/egl-certified-untreated-princess-cut-sapphire-diamond-ring-14kwg?cPath=170&

This one is again a princess, smaller than you want. The biggest issue I have is that the bezel does not look even, and I would prefer that the stone be prong set. It looks very bulky with the solid gallery:
http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/princess-cut-sapphire-diamond-platinum-ring?cPath=170&

My favorite is still the step cut I posted above, by far, but that's just my personal preference.

James_K

Rough_Rock

Wow, more wonderful feedback.

Chrono: I was indeed looking for a square cut. I was just wondering what people thought of some of the "wild cards". Also, the 54ct $385k stone was just a small joke. Was wondering if anyone would catch it. :lol:

Pregcurious: I truly appreciate the suggestions. They appear to have stimulated great conversation and feedback.

Chrono/Pregcurious/LD: I agree on all accounts here. Both are great looking stones, the first one seems the right color, the second one likely has more brilliance, and while the princess cut is one of my favorites in diamonds, it doesnt pop to me as much in sapphires. Soooooo, I called simply sapphires to talk to them about the ring and I negotiated a $441 discount!! Its not the style I originally intended to buy but it does speak to me and I think its a good blend of looks and practicality. So, we will see if this one is the one.

You guys are great!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

That's great, James. I hope it looks good in person! I think with the discount, that is a good price on the stone and ring. Were they unwilling to sell the stone alone? I ask because I noticed that some of their best stones are already set.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've lost the plot! Which one are you getting James?

Just a thought but if it's within budget you could keep the Mastercut stone and present it as a pendant!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, crap, the link isn't working any more so I didn't get to see the one you bought! Can you provide the vendor's pics, James?

Btw, I admire your ability to pull the trigger so easily - good for you and its a great way to learn, to have them in hand.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fantastic outcome. As I always say, if you don't ask for a discount, you'll never know. At worst, the answer is no. At best, your wallet will be happier. :bigsmile: I'll be waiting for pictures and your review of this new ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's why I was asking him to post pics, because since he bought it, the link is kaput. :blackeye:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is the step cut square emerald cut, set sideways (kite) with little melees down the band.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

You can still see the ring here:
http://www.colorsymphony.com/sapphire/blue/rings/fancy-square-ceylon-sapphire-h-diamond-ring-14kwg-2.43-ctw

Here is the description:
Fancy Square Ceylon Sapphire (H)* Diamond Ring 14KWG 2.43 ctw
$2,940.00

Description
With classic text book rich cornflower blue color this fancy square step faceted Ceylon sapphire is a rare find. The sapphire weighs 1.83 ct, measures 6.9 mm and exhibits the finest TOP cornflower blue color that is perfectly saturated and even throughout the stone. Excellent clarity (dealer rated VVS...very clean even with magnification) joins skilled faceting resulting in long broad flashes of blue color. Unlike a traditional brilliant cut which returns many tiny points of brilliance this sapphire has long step cuts which create extended beams of cobalt blue brilliance. The photos show off the stone's cornflower blue color and brilliance but also make the sapphire appear to have lighter color saturation when it actuality is a deeper blue characteristic of only the finest sapphires (this color is noted in the photo where the ring stands up). There are no white spots or other colored areas as seen in a few of the photos which were caused by the camera's flash. Beautiful ideal faceted diamonds are pave/bead set around almost the entire band except for a portion of the shank reserved for sizing. In total the ring has 0.60 carats of top quality SI2 F graded diamonds. The ring was made using 3.5 grams of 14K white gold and it is a size 61/2 (resizing available).

AGTA Gemstone Enhancement Codes N = Not Enhanced E = Routinely Enhanced C = Coating D = Dyeing F = Filling H = Heating HP = Heat & Pressure I = Impregnating L = Lasering O = Oiling/Resin R = Irradiation U = Diffusion W = Waxing/Polishing in Opaque Stones

Here are 2 pictures. The color of the stone is described as being more like the 2nd pic in real life:

simplesapphires_stepcutring.jpg

simplesapphires_stepcutring2.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for finding it and posting. That looks great - thats the first sapphire that has been posted that I would've encouraged you to buy and you bought it! It appears to be far more saturated than the others you were looking at - I hope it turns out so and not just darker. Can't wait for your photos! :appl:

James_K

Rough_Rock

Hello All. My apologies for not replying sooner with picture. Unfortunately I had to do a little work. The pictures that were posted by Pregcurious were indeed of the ring I purchased. It is not what I had originally intended to buy, but I have always had an affinity for emerald type cuts plus I believe that it is a style that my girlfriend will like. I spoke with the woman that made the ring and she said that quality square stones have been difficult to come by and that this stone has deep rich blue color. As for pulling the trigger Minousbijoux, well I am typically the person that thinks about things too much, but several PSers have taught me that when you are looking for a particular stone, you have to be on it before someone snatches it out from under your hand. Im soooooo happy that I have wonderful people like you to help guide me so I feel comfortable making a decision Thank you.

LD: I am sincerely considering keeping the MasterCut gem also. Budget isnt really an issue (atleast with the price of this stone) and I dont know how difficult it would be to get a good stone in future but I also dont want to keep it without a plan. So much to consider. Thanks for the wonderful idea though. The ring is for an engagement and if she accepts, I will need a wedding gift, right? :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results