shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Thank you caf and lilmosun. Sorry again for the complaining, sometimes it helps to vent a little though.

Lilmosun- I was very pleased with the eye popping greens I got. If you pick something up, do share :) I've had Namibian demantoids before but never the Russian Apple greens. Even tiny, they are fun. I love tiny stones though. I'm always collecting them, holding onto them for a year or two, and then selling them bc I can't figure out how to set them, lol!! I'm trying to get better with that though. I've done WAY less buying over the last whole year! Just a few things here and there - but that's bc I bought really heavy (for me) in the 6 mos or so up until May of last year, and then I decided that was it for awhile.

Ok I'm only rambling bc I'm in bed on my phone, need to get some rest and I'm hoping to feel way better tomorrow...

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

katharath - I was amazingly well behaved during Yvonne's Tucson postings. I did pick up a 3mm pair of hauynites to use on connectors for the mahenge earrings that we will start next (I think)...and a pair of the inexpensive 5mm pink tourmalines. I want to collect 5mm pairs in my favorite colors for stud earrings to wear with all the earring jackets I have.

But I wasn't that good as before she left, I also bought the little square paraiba and emerald shaped Columbian emerald that I will make into a pendant. I already have a paraiba pendant that matches my avatar ring but wanted something in white gold to go with my other pieces.

paraiba_and_emerald_pendant.jpg

I am trying to get better and at least have some idea how I will set before I buy. Sometimes I will spend hours (or days) figuring out how I will set a stone and when I go to buy, it's gone...but then I figure it wasn't meant to be, right? Besides I have enough projects lined up that I shouldn't be adding more :whistle:

Hopefully today was a step towards feeling better.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great choices Lilmosun :love:
Do you have more pics?

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Makingthegrade -- I love the designs! The Etruscan one is also my favorite.

Katharath-- feel better!!! I love the stones you picked up, especially those tsavs...so pretty!

Lilmosun -- I love your pendant idea! Can't wait to see it come together!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Acinom and arabella...haven't bothered to take pics and it may be awhile before I set...still trying to figure out a design. I have a few projects lined up now and really should stop until I get them done :angel:

I wanted to share this quick pic of blue tourmalines,assumed heated, that I got from Yvonne. The color is absolutely AMAZING in real life...I had to have them as soon as I saw them. Although green-blue, the pictures picks up a bit more of the green than you see IRL. They are so bright. While not the best fit for the setting (I was saving for a 3 stone OEC project but never got the sides), they were way too nice for a gem jar. Paraibas aside, they are by far my personal favorite tourmalines in terms of color.

oec_diamond_with_blue_tourmalines.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful 3 stone ring lilmosun!!!!
The color pops :love:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

lilmosun|1465615558|4042882 said:
Thanks Acinom and arabella...haven't bothered to take pics and it may be awhile before I set...still trying to figure out a design. I have a few projects lined up now and really should stop until I get them done :angel:

I wanted to share this quick pic of blue tourmalines,assumed heated, that I got from Yvonne. The color is absolutely AMAZING in real life...I had to have them as soon as I saw them. Although green-blue, the pictures picks up a bit more of the green than you see IRL. They are so bright. While not the best fit for the setting (I was saving for a 3 stone OEC project but never got the sides), they were way too nice for a gem jar. Paraibas aside, they are by far my personal favorite tourmalines in terms of color.

oec_diamond_with_blue_tourmalines.jpg

Gorgeous!!!!

And to Arabella - thank you :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Katharath- I hope you are on the mend. You have such incredible taste in colored gems and I love all of yours.

Lilmosun- That is a gorgeous three stone ring! I love how you paired these teal tourmalines with the center diamond.

There are so many fabulous additions to this thread. Ilovegemstones your chubby tourmaline is beautiful and you did well to snag that blue spinel!

Eos- your acquisitions this year are amazing! Color! :love:

puppyguts- I never even heard of a Sillimanite- it is incredibly beautiful and such an impressive size. Your rubies will make a stunning wedding band.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

Was anyone else tempted by New Era's recent batch of Mahenge garnets? I picked up a couple, though my favorite was gone by the time I was ready to order.

Here's the pear garnet I purchased. Will update with my pics when the goodies arrive... Hopefully soon!

_37556.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Received my new ring from Baiwy using my 7.8mm square tourmaline from Jason Brim (recut by Dan Stair). I am in love with it! It's substantial and wide--very different from other things I own. Baiwy is an awesome vendor and I recommend them to anyone! My ring is sterling silver and 14K gold, and happily the ring + stone + recut cost around $500-600 total :) Now onto the pics!

Collage%202016-06-18%2012_43_58.jpg Collage%202016-06-18%2012_42_50.jpg Collage%202016-06-18%2012_44_39.jpg

Pics in sunlight, shade, and detail pics showing how nice the bezel + little accent balls are.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

blingbunny - I've been oggling mahenge garnets for the past month or two. I didn't get any from the New Era sale, but I was drooling over the colors in the "flag" of rough they posted on FB. Can't wait to see more pics!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock

I'm too lazy to start a new thread. Here are some new rings.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock

2 more

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade

OTL|1466531300|4046347 said:

Delighted to see your new rings OTL, but so incredibly saddened to see my design being replicated.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blingbunny- please post pics when your Mahenge garnet arrives. I am so interested in these lovely garnets and love the pink/red/purple of yours. :love:

Lovesdogs-Your tourmaline has fabulous color! I love your ring and how you set your gem. So unique! :appl:

OTL

Brilliant_Rock

ElleW|1466551646|4046442 said:

Delighted to see your new rings OTL, but so incredibly saddened to see my design being replicated.
Sorry Elle, I hope you don't feel offended. In any way this is not for commercial use. I actually don't like the outcome of my ring and am thinking of redoing it, you made my decision really easy. I'm going to melt the ring. Hope that's OK with you.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade

OTL|1466564531|4046534 said:

Sorry Elle, I hope you don't feel offended. In any way this is not for commercial use. I actually don't like the outcome of my ring and am thinking of redoing it, you made my decision really easy. I'm going to melt the ring. Hope that's OK with you.
It's not my place to tell you what to do with your ring. I'm merely expressing my disappointment and sadness at the fact that something I worked very hard over appears to have been casually replicated. And the fact that it was not done "for commercial" purposes changes nothing. It may be trivial to those who like to knock off original designs, but they fail to understand that this is how designers make a living. It is intellectual property. It is deeply personal.

A copy is a copy is a copy.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OTL, your rings never fail to amaze and delight me! I would pay to come play in your jewelry box :) I hope to have a collection like yours at some point! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful stone Blingbunny!!!
I hope you will receive it soon. I am looking forward to see your pics.

Gorgeous collection OTL and thanks for sharing. What a shame you do not love one of your new rings. I hope you will enjoy the others. I especially love the moonstone ring. Who created your rings?

Elle and OTL: so sorry to see that you both seem upset by this. What is the grey area between 'inspired by' and copying... Should we contact the original designer if we want a certain look... Or is it ok to contact another jeweller if the price difference is large... And aren't a lot of rings copies from a different era... It's a very complicated matter.

Lovedogs!!! I love that ring! Your tourmaline from Jason Brim loves this setting. Enjoy wearing your ring. It's a beautiful design.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi ElleW

Please can you let us know which design is your design. All the rings are gorgeous btw but I get it; I can't imagine how upset I'd feel to work so hard on something then someone else copy it.

Acinom the moonstone looks like it's in Sally's lotus so that 1 atleast must be from her.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ElleW|1466568400|4046557 said:

It's not my place to tell you what to do with your ring. I'm merely expressing my disappointment and sadness at the fact that something I worked very hard over appears to have been casually replicated. And the fact that it was not done "for commercial" purposes changes nothing. It may be trivial to those who like to knock off original designs, but they fail to understand that this is how designers make a living. It is intellectual property. It is deeply personal.

In that same vein, do you have a problem with dk, the designer you use to make your rings, copying many people's designs?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1466602456|4046622 said:
ElleW|1466568400|4046557 said:

In that same vein, do you have a problem with dk, the designer you use to make your rings, copying many people's designs?

Bingo.

And, ElleW, if you're going to make a point of claiming your design was copied, for clarity's sake why not actually specify which of the several new rings posted by OTL was the alleged copy?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ElleW was referring to this design:

_4306.jpeg

_4307.jpeg

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I'm going to respond to each person directly because I feel like there are some important questions being asked and points being brought up.

Acinom:
There is a large gray area between inspired by and copying. This particular case is copying. In the event that a designer has a particular look that you want, yes, I would absolutely say to go directly to that designer, regardless of price point. In the event that you admire someone's work, but cannot afford their prices, they may be willing to work within your budget.

Most jewelers would not attempt to directly copy another person's work, often the finishing is not the same and the proportions are not the same as the original. There are very few jewelers and designers who will pursue copyright violations, it is often not worth the time and most do not have the bankroll to pursue such a claim. Yes, many rings are copies from another era, using elements here and there from rings that have been produced over the last several centuries.

This design in particular is not like any ring I have ever seen before, and I have seen thousands. If a ring with a distinctive shape, halo, and design elements like the Voeu that was copied exists, I do not know of it. The design of the Voeu was born from necessity, when the original idea for the piece had to be scrapped because the proportions would not work correctly in 3D for the size of the center stone. It is one of my favorite designs because of the turmoil that brought it to fruition, and it helped to cement my love for figuring out the puzzle - making the design elements I wanted in the ring to work for the designated center stone.

theredspinel:
I will attach a picture of the second iteration of my design, the Voeu setting, next to the copy. It is not fun to have put so many hours and love into a design and to see it replicated. It's not terribly surprising, sadly, but still hurts to witness, especially when the person who copied it knew where the original came from and used their own jeweler to copy it anyway.

Niel & marymm:
I am not David Klass, and what he does within his business is none of my business. I am grateful to him for every opportunity he has given me.

tgp_voeu_copy.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elle,
No, you're not David Klass,but you do business with him. You choose to associate with a vendor who copies designs.
So to throw stones at other vendors who copy designs seems hypocritical

But you have the right to your opinion, of course.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Niel|1466615575|4046689 said:
Elle,
No, you're not David Klass,but you do business with him. You choose to associate with a vendor who copies designs.

Niel,
As I said, David's business is his business. Many of the elements in the designs that he has produced have been in design after design over the centuries. I cannot and will not speak to those particular designs, I can only speak for myself and my designs.

To have someone outright copy something that shares the majority of its design with no other item in existence, and is it's own aesthetic hurts me directly. Not only is my intellectual property stolen, but also this hurts my bottom line - it represents money out of my pocket. This is a design that not only took many hours of my time to produce, but also took years of education, research and experience to put it together.

I realize that it's ok to be flippant about copying jewelry here, but I strive to make things that aren't out there already. Plain and simple.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ElleW|1466617862|4046709 said:
Elle,

Niel,
As I said, David's business is his business. Many of the elements in the designs that he has produced have been in design after design over the centuries. I cannot and will not speak to those particular designs, I can only speak for myself and my designs.

To have someone outright copy something that shares the majority of its design with no other item in existence, and is it's own aesthetic hurts me directly. Not only is my intellectual property stolen, but also this hurts my bottom line - it represents money out of my pocket. This is a design that not only took many hours of my time to produce, but also took years of education, research and experience to put it together.

I realize that it's ok to be flippant about copying jewelry here, but I strive to make things that aren't out there already. Plain and simple.

To excuse David's copying as something different than what this designer did doesn't hold water. He has directly stolen ideas from singlestone, CVB, and others. The fact you choose to do business with someone who steals business from the original designer shows that it is the nature of the business. You choose to do business with him when it helps your bottom line, you choose to publicly shame someone for doing business with a different vendor when it hurts your bottom line.

I'm not being flippant about intellectual theft and reproductions of specific designs. I'm specifically saying that maybe a bit of perspective might benefit you here

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I get getting inspired by certain design elements that are seen all over the place, but when you see something truly unique born from 1 persons imaginations, struggles, life experiences etc, it's more like copying a finger print. When it's truly unique to that 1 designer.... its just off.

Neil; a person can be upset about someone outright copying their design and speak up about it without having to be living Mother Teresa's lifestyle.

Even if she herself copied a design in her past it doesn't change the message of its simply wrong to copy someone's clear design ideas.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

theredspinel|1466618508|4046714 said:
I get getting inspired by certain design elements that are seen all over the place, but when you see something truly unique born from 1 persons imaginations, struggles, life experiences etc, it's more like copying a finger print. When it's truly unique to that 1 designer.... its just off.

Neil; a person can be upset about someone outright copying their design and speak up about it without having to be living Mother Teresa's lifestyle.

Even if she herself copied a design in her past it doesn't change the message of its simply wrong to copy someone's clear design ideas.

I said she was entitled to her option. I'm entitled to mine. She feels like voicing hers, I feel like voicing mine.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

ElleW|1466617862|4046709 said:
Elle,

Niel,

That sounds incredibly frustrating to experience and were I in your shoes, I've no doubt I would find it upsetting as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results