carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

As you can see that picture is a little dark. I had to manage to take a picture of it upside down on a gem holder. Its not quite that yellow in brighter lighting. Its a chryso 6.5*6.4. .36 tcw colorless half moons. I took a chance on them as they were on sale on leibish but they are like absolutely the perfect size.

I was thinking of a three stone with the half moons bezelled and millgrained but I am so particular about proportions, I'd hate for the edges to go past the corners of the cushion.

So I probably won't bezel it.... Then its a whole todo of I have no idea what color will flatter the stone best. I dont want to make it too yellow or bring out the green, so I dont want to use yellow...but I'm afraid white will wash it out. Aah!

I want to exaggerate the contrast which is why I wanted colorless sides, and I want a white shank for that reason. Plus I feel like gold with lemon colors doesn't do the lemon color justice.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1429897219|3867229 said:
As you can see that picture is a little dark. I had to manage to take a picture of it upside down on a gem holder. Its not quite that yellow in brighter lighting. Its a chryso 6.5*6.4. .36 tcw colorless half moons. I took a chance on them as they were on sale on leibish but they are like absolutely the perfect size.

I was thinking of a three stone with the half moons bezelled and millgrained but I am so particular about proportions, I'd hate for the edges to go past the corners of the cushion.

So I probably won't bezel it.... Then its a whole todo of I have no idea what color will flatter the stone best. I dont want to make it too yellow or bring out the green, so I dont want to use yellow...but I'm afraid white will wash it out. Aah!

I want to exaggerate the contrast which is why I wanted colorless sides, and I want a white shank for that reason. Plus I feel like gold with lemon colors doesn't do the lemon color justice.

Maybe yg prongs with the rest in a white metal? I agree that the proportions are perfect, and I wouldn't want to mess with that by bezeling!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

blingbunny10|1429899336|3867236 said:
Niel|1429897219|3867229 said:

Maybe yg prongs with the rest in a white metal? I agree that the proportions are perfect, and I wouldn't want to mess with that by bezeling!
I'm not sure any yellow would flatter. I'm afraid it would bring out the green. He could dip juuust the end of the prongs, but I don t love the idea of dipping because I hate to imagine it eventually coming off

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel, forgive me if you've already said it (I looked up your past threads and couldn't find anything), but where is that chryso from? I like the cutting very much.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1429906347|3867294 said:
Niel, forgive me if you've already said it (I looked up your past threads and couldn't find anything), but where is that chryso from? I like the cutting very much.
I didn't so its ok :)
Its from finewater.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1429906508|3867296 said:
minousbijoux|1429906347|3867294 said:
I didn't so its ok :)
Its from finewater.

I had a feeling ;))

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

A parcel from Barry arrived today! Mothers day present for mum - a 2.19ct 7.5mm electric blue topaz! It sparkles like crazy and the colour really is electric. I love it!

Also received my moonstone cab, a small coral cab and Barry sent me a present - a carved bowenite bead. The carving is really beautiful I love it!

_29662.jpg

_29663.jpg

_29664.jpg

_29666.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

And the bowenite bead!

All photos were taken indoors in office fluorescent lighting. I can't wait to see how the topaz and moonstone look outdoors!

_29667.jpg

_29668.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo said:
And the bowenite bead!

All photos were taken indoors in office fluorescent lighting. I can't wait to see how the topaz and moonstone look outdoors!
So interesting! Never heard of bowenite before. The color is lovely! How do you like your new round moonstone cab? Any setting ideas yet?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Mochiko! The bowenite is very interesting, the colour and carving are lovely. It reminds me of Jade. Barry wasn't sure what these beads are used for and I couldn't find much guidance on the internet either although bowenite beads and jewelry appear to be somewhat common.

From trusty Wikipedia: Bowenite is a hard, compact variety of the serpentinite species antigorite, (Mg3(OH)O4Si2O5).Classed as semi-precious gem stone it has been used for tools, weapons and jewellery by the Māori in New Zealand, and for jewellery by Fabergé.

The carving appears to be an Asian design. I'm hoping to wear it as a necklace but I don't know how to thread the chain through as the clasp will get stuck! Wil take it to my jeweller! I hope I won't be committing any cultural taboos by wearing it as jewellery. I don't think so but if anyone has any information please share!

The moonstone is nice - and much nicer than my horrible photos! In fluorescent light the flashes are a silvery blue with some deeper blue flashes. I like its face up size - 11mm from memory but it's not as deep/domed as I was expecting. I think I'll set it as a pendant and hold out for a larger stone for a ring.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo said:
Thanks Mochiko! The bowenite is very interesting, the colour and carving are lovely. It reminds me of Jade. Barry wasn't sure what these beads are used for and I couldn't find much guidance on the internet either although bowenite beads and jewelry appear to be somewhat common.

From trusty Wikipedia: Bowenite is a hard, compact variety of the serpentinite species antigorite, (Mg3(OH)O4Si2O5).Classed as semi-precious gem stone it has been used for tools, weapons and jewellery by the Māori in New Zealand, and for jewellery by Fabergé.

The carving appears to be an Asian design. I'm hoping to wear it as a necklace but I don't know how to thread the chain through as the clasp will get stuck! Wil take it to my jeweller! I hope I won't be committing any cultural taboos by wearing it as jewellery. I don't think so but if anyone has any information please share!

The moonstone is nice - and much nicer than my horrible photos! In fluorescent light the flashes are a silvery blue with some deeper blue flashes. I like its face up size - 11mm from memory but it's not as deep/domed as I was expecting. I think I'll set it as a pendant and hold out for a larger stone for a ring.
That's fascinating. I recently came back from half a month traveling in New Zealand and was interested to learn about the greenstone jade (pounamu) there.. It seems like a type of nephrite jade. I didn't specifically notice anything labelled as bowenite while in NZ but then again I didn't really go jewelry shopping while there.

PS, the color of the topaz is gorgeous, just Tron blue!! How will your mum set it? How awesome that she also is interested in gems :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fabulous new additions Ricezo!
The blue topaz is truly mesmerizing. What an amazing colour!!
And that bead is such a sweet gift. I love it!! What will you do with it? And how will you set the dreamy moonstone?
Thanks for sharing

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Mochiko & Acinom!

The colour of the topaz is spectacular, I hope my mum loves it as much as I do. Actually , I hope that she hates it so I get to keep it! I think she'll probably take it back to her jeweller in Thailand in a few months and set it as a ring. Probably something chunky in a white metal, we have very different aesthetics when it comes to jewellery.

I took some better photos of the moonstone today, I love it! Im still tossing up between a ring or pendant - I need one more to complete the set! Pictured with my 6.9mm rounds.

_29710.jpg

_29711.jpg

_29712.jpg

_29713.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Wow, ricezo! :love: What beauties. I'm sure your mom will love the topaz. But I have to say, that moonstone! It looks great on your finger. I had to secretly laugh and smile when you said you might hold out for something larger despite it being 11mm. Good minds think alike! ;-) :naughty: But really though, I think it'd make a wonderful ring. Either way you can't go wrong! And the little present from Barry was very sweet. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Sparkliesluver! Haha you are right, it's definitely large and nice enough for a ring! I can't wait to set it but I have a long list of stones waiting to be set at the moment. I need to stop buying stones!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1430308826|3869573 said:
I took some better photos of the moonstone today, I love it! Im still tossing up between a ring or pendant - I need one more to complete the set! Pictured with my 6.9mm rounds.

Nice! Make it into a ring! The little ones can be earrings.

BaileyC

Rough_Rock

ricezo, I vote ring - those moonstones are gorgeous! :mrgreen:

I haven't been able to find moonstones with at least a little blue sheen for earrings, or a pair already made that I like in white gold/platinum! Most of what I'm finding is rainbow moonstone, and while those are gorgeous too, they won't match well to the ring I already have. Any advice you may have on where to look for a good matched pair would be welcome - you've done so darn well!!!! :love:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

There is a little dog in the tilt window of this crazy new stone from Gene.

oligoclasedogface.png

katharath

Ideal_Rock

VapidLapid|1430533598|3870923 said:

Ha!! That's cute. I definitely see it now that you mention it - I didn't notice it earlier on his site though!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Nice haul ricezo!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1430308826|3869573 said:
Thanks Mochiko & Acinom!

The colour of the topaz is spectacular, I hope my mum loves it as much as I do. Actually , I hope that she hates it so I get to keep it! I think she'll probably take it back to her jeweller in Thailand in a few months and set it as a ring. Probably something chunky in a white metal, we have very different aesthetics when it comes to jewellery.

Gorgeous moonstones. The blue flash comes through very clearly in the photos.
Your photos of all 3 stones reminds me a bit of the Disney "hidden Mickeys" :D (just went to Disneyland with a friend who has young children, so it was stuck in my mind)
If you do go for a pendant for the 11m, it might be nice to wear it on a longer chain. (also that way you can admire it while wearing it!!) :lol:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks TL, BaileyC, Lovinggems and Mochiko! I'm leaning towards a ring and earrings at the moment and yes they do look like Mickey Mouse!! :lol:

Vapid Lapid - I've never heard of or seen oligoclase before. It looks beautiful and so intriguing! And now that you've mentioned it, I can't stop seeing that dog face!! Please post lots of photos when it arrives!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VapidLapid|1430533598|3870923 said:

Vapid: I don't know if its because you've gone through so much, but you definitely have a strong spiritual awareness and receptivity. I immediately wonder if its not Murry checking in...

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock

This came in the mail today. Nothing special, but it wasn't very expensive and I was tired of my fiance' having all the fun. ::)

I got it on etsy from stonefeverjewelry. He was very quick, and had it to me in around a week even with a re-size. Its a blue/green bi-color tourmaline (the seller said it was brazilian) in a sterling silver bezel setting. It has some significant inclusions, but that was advertised up front. I've always thought of inclusions as "character" and a good way to tell its very likely natural. I'm a huge fan of teal indicolite tourmaline, and this fits the color bill perfectly. The blue and green are blended perfectly in normal lighting. Its a nice simply designed ring that I can enjoy without it being too flashy.

20150505_190342_richtone_hdr_.jpg

mir_20150505_200915.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

I LOVE your ring tourma-guy!! Great purchase!

upcyclist

Rough_Rock
Trade

On the dog-faced oligoclase:
ricezo|1430555702|3871021 said:
Vapid Lapid - I've never heard of or seen oligoclase before. It looks beautiful and so intriguing! And now that you've mentioned it, I can't stop seeing that dog face!! Please post lots of photos when it arrives!
It's a feldspar. See also: orthoclase, labradorite, sunstone, andesine (no comment, haha), bytownite...

On the bowenite:
ricezo|1430218677|3868876 said:
The carving appears to be an Asian design. I'm hoping to wear it as a necklace but I don't know how to thread the chain through as the clasp will get stuck! Wil take it to my jeweller!
If you wanted to stick with the simple threading, just ask your jeweler to thread it, then solder the clasp/jumpring on to the chain afterwards. Then it'd never fall off!

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock

ricezo|1430911613|3872868 said:
I LOVE your ring tourma-guy!! Great purchase!

Thanks! I'm enjoying it thus far. :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great find Tourmaguy!!!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This little guy is on its way to me. Jeff white vanadium beryl. It's the smaller of the two pieces in his picture of rough. 1.65 ct. His quick hand shot.

_29985.jpg

_29986.jpg

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock

I have these two pretties on their way from Litnon. The first is a Burmese Spinel at 0.86ct. The second is a Tanzanite at 1.47ct. Hopefully they are as vivid in person as they are in the pictures.

I'm going to have to cut myself off for the rest of the year if I keep these two. :oops: :lol: You all are bad influences. :tongue:

45012.jpg

41657.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results