color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Here's a photo.

The color was described as an intense slightly bluish green. Cut in the US.
The vendor described the color as being much more intense than the photo implies, I guess we'll see when it comes. I've bought from this vendor in the past with good results, so fingers crossed that I'll like this too!

I"m hoping this will fit into the yellow gold mistral ring setting I have from sally.

brazilian-emerald-emerald-93ct.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I recently purchased this 0.61 ctw green diamond half-eternity band in 18k yellow gold from a local jeweler who is going out of business. I have been visiting this ring for about four years, and just couldn't let it go. I love the green sparkles, and the color goes great with my tsavorite cabochon pendant. :cheeky:

Green0214.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

I bought this sphene, I think I may have paid a little too much for it. Hope it looks good in real life. :cheeky:
Anyone knows if there's fake sphene or treated sphene?

ccsph06a.jpg

ccsph06b.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovinggems said:
I bought this sphene, I think I may have paid a little too much for it. Hope it looks good in real life. :cheeky:

Lovinggems, those photos look very photoshopped, I hate to say. As for synthetic sphene, sometimes green YAG (a synthetic gemstone) is used to simulate demantoid or sphene. Typically the former. Sphene is very doubly refractive though, and as far as I know, there is no doubly refractive simulant for sphene, so if you see double refraction, I think you should be okay. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck, I hope it turns out okay.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

tourmaline_lover said:
Lovinggems said:

Lovinggems, those photos look very photoshopped, I hate to say. As for synthetic sphene, sometimes green YAG (a synthetic gemstone) is used to simulate demantoid or sphene. Typically the former. Sphene is very doubly refractive though, and as far as I know, there is no doubly refractive simulant for sphene, so if you see double refraction, I think you should be okay. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck, I hope it turns out okay.

TL you're right the photos look unnatural, should have ask for opinions here first before bidding. I wonder if I can 'return' it before it's even shipped.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I got this from Litnon last week - total impulse buy but Michael says its a nice stone! Can't wait to get it :D

35490.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

oh and imo this thread should be stickied - I love it! :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deia said:
I got this from Litnon last week - total impulse buy but Michael says its a nice stone! Can't wait to get it :D

35490.jpg
BERRY YUMMY!!! :lickout:

I got a stone from litnon this week (not like i really NEEDED one but well...you know.....)

Also this year I have a very special project to finish before our anniversary. My husband's birthstone is an emerald.... :Up_to_something: . That probably means I should stop looking at other stones huh?

-A

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here are two green tourmaline rings I'm expecting to receive next week from JKT -- my own "Katie" style ring with a 10x8mm oval blue-green Tourmaline, and a bezel-set green-gold tourmaline with carved leafs on each shoulder -- these are my first JKT treasures and I am in such a high state of anticipation!

bothf1.JPG

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock

I've been on a big spinel kick lately. I picked this 1.82ct r/O heart not too long ago and don't think I've shared it before. I was worried it might be too orange but I like it. :bigsmile:

2010-07-10_002.JPG

2010-07-10_003.JPG

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Lovinggems said:
tourmaline_lover said:
Lovinggems said:

TL you're right the photos look unnatural, should have ask for opinions here first before bidding. I wonder if I can 'return' it before it's even shipped.

Seller and I cancelled the transaction before shipping so no reviews on the sphene.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovinggems,
That's good to hear. I think you may have saved yourself some potential grief by cancelling that transaction.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

tourmaline_lover said:
Lovinggems,
That's good to hear. I think you may have saved yourself some potential grief by cancelling that transaction.

Thank you TL for alerting me about it, think I will stick to known vendors for now. :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Was going to say that that sphene did look a little suspect. If you're going to go the route of ebay check exportgems. The one in my av is from them. They tend to have sphene thats pretty reasonable price wise and the cuts are decent to very good If you're going for a round, they tend to look best with portuguese or whats called a diamond cut.

I bought this :

I didn't pay a lot so we shall see what it looks like when it gets here. I've purchased from this seller once before, and the stone was way better looking than the picture :mrgreen: I got a good feeling about this one.

-A

170710bt1.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah..nothing like the lure of a new gem!

I"m waiting on pictures of a new tsavorite I might be buying. 6.5mm round from my favorite lapidary in what is promising to be an ideal shade of tsav green. I should be getting photos later today of how it turned out. SO EXCITED!

newbaglover

Rough_Rock

I am waiting for a purple spinel in asscher cut, a small green oval tsavorite, an oval purple tanzanite, and a yellow-green chrysoberil. All from Tan. They are my first gemstone purchases, so I am very excited to get them!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am waiting on this spinel from Tan. I have had this gem on my watch list forever and ever, and the color just speaks to me, even though the cutting leaves much to be desired. It lacks the orange I see in most Mahenge spinels (I see orange in almost everything), and I love the blue in it. I think this is a pretty rare color for spinel. I also asked Tan a million questions about it, so I hope it's like the video IRL. He said it was. It reminds me more of pink sapphire color than pink spinel which always seems to have a touch of grey or brown in it. I have never seen this color on Tan's website for spinel except in this one stone.

TL1_4pinkspinel.JPG

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I put myself on a gem ban but quickly broke it...and now I'm waiting for the rhodolite from Barry that I have a thread about, as well as this magenta sapphire from Tan. One of those blue/purple color shift spinels is also on my wish list...wanted one from Barry, but he doesn't have any material at the moment.

unheated-tanzanian-sapphire-6.1x3.6x2.9-vs2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ooo...I'm on a little bit of a ban, but for colored stones, I'm looking to get a periwinkle spinel sometime next week hopefully. Other than that I'm just trying to save up some for settings instead of buying more gems...

ETA: Jstar--I've regretted selling you that little spinel, pretty much since I let it go, so I've been on the lookout for something similar since then. :naughty: Speaking of, do you happen to have any pics of it floating around?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Awww, sorry, Freke! At least it went to a good home, right? I love it, but I'm also looking for more spinels since that's the only spinel I own. I don't have many decent pictures, but here are a few from my projects thread:

jstar-allrings.jpg
il_fullxfull.100930808.jpg
il_fullxfull.100930681.jpg
il_fullxfull.100930714.jpg
jstar-6670.jpg
il_fullxfull.100930779.jpg

ETA: I see one on Dan's site that looks very similar to mine/ours; is that the one you're getting?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

That would be the one! Lookie! Yours is on the right and mine is on the left. Obviously the vendor pic of yours was taken before he started doing more color correction.

And you're right--I am happy it went to a good home! One where I still get to see pics of it sometimes! Thanks for posting those!

Periwinkle comparison DS freke.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Very nice! Your new one looks like it has less of a tilt window. Although there was something kind of mesmerizing about watching the tilt window shift around as I moved the stone. It closed up in the setting.

Anyway, I lost another bit of willpower today and bought one of Uli's stones, a Songean liquid flower sapphire. His description: Strange color in this natural songean Sapphire, some thing with green and yellow and some blue, a light color change too. This sapphire looks different in every light condition. High clarity with tiny internal structures only visible under strong magnification. Untreated, 100% natural. 0.92 cts., 5.7 x 3.8 mm.

So now I'm awaiting the arrival of Barry's rhodolite, Tan's magenta sapphire, and this guy, who reminds me of the ocean:

SonSap0.92_1.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So um... :-o I'm not going to post a picture, just this:

violettourmaline.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Did you get that Arcadian?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild said:
Did you get that Arcadian?
Yep, :D Its not an especially gorgeous stone but I really like the color of it and of course I like what it is. Plus, I just really wanted one in purple with some copper for my collection, not to wear. I'll know more about it when its in hand of course. It may actually look nicer then the picture in the auction (ok I'm not going to bet on that but one can hope right?? :lol: ) But I think it will probably have quite a visible window..which is fine. Pricewise, under 200. No one bid against me!

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian said:

You should know better than to post that gem memo to super ebay power searchers :naughty: :twisted:

Nice stone Arcadian.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tourmaline_lover said:
Arcadian said:

You should know better than to post that gem memo to super ebay power searchers :naughty: :twisted:

Nice stone Arcadian.
LOL :tongue:

I'll post a pic (its from someone some of us usually buy from anyway ) but to stay within the pricescope rules I've removed their vendor name from the picture.

BTW TL, I got a rather large sized lavender spinel. I'm only hoping it looks like the vendor pics especially since its nearly a 3 ct stone. I'll know more about that one in 14 days.

-A

voilettourmaline.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The color of your violet tourmaline is beautiful, Arcadian!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I bought a Malaya garnet from Barry in March (it has a thread somewhere) and sent it to JKT to be set in a ring. I got it over the weekend and love it!

The center stone is 8.2mm and the side stones are peridot. The ring is 18 ct green gold. Here is one of her pics.

garnringf1.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results