shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany serial numbers? Process of authentication?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jewelerman|1318449026|3038757 said:
What! i don't know if i can wait that long! Doesn't Tiffany know that its NOT a good idea to keep Price Scope posters waiting on important matters like this! ;(

Here here!

Any chance of an early answer????

cheers--Sharon

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1320193804|3052119 said:
What! i don't know if i can wait that long! Doesn't Tiffany know that its NOT a good idea to keep Price Scope posters waiting on important matters like this! ;(

Here here!

cheers--Sharon

As it happens, YES - though it's not the definitive sort of an answer I would have hoped for. Tiffany's has declined to provide a valuation report for the necklace, as they have nothing like it currently in stock, and thus cannot quote me a replacement value.

I did ask if it would be possible to check the archives, just to fulfill my curiousity: they said, sure, but checking the archives costs 1K ... and a $500 deposit just to initiate the process.

I'm curious, but I'm not THAT curious! I'll enjoy it for what it is, and if any of you ever stumble across anything similar in an art history book or a vintage magazine ... well, I'll be eternally grateful for the tip!

Now ... and I should probably start a separate thread for this ... I just need to figure out where to find YG 2-3 mm bezeled turquoise earrings! Any suggestions? :devil:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1320251902|3052590 said:
canuk-gal|1320193804|3052119 said:

Here here!

cheers--Sharon

As it happens, YES - though it's not the definitive sort of an answer I would have hoped for. Tiffany's has declined to provide a valuation report for the necklace, as they have nothing like it currently in stock, and thus cannot quote me a replacement value.

I did ask if it would be possible to check the archives, just to fulfill my curiousity: they said, sure, but checking the archives costs 1K ... and a $500 deposit just to initiate the process.

I'm curious, but I'm not THAT curious! I'll enjoy it for what it is, and if any of you ever stumble across anything similar in an art history book or a vintage magazine ... well, I'll be eternally grateful for the tip!

Now ... and I should probably start a separate thread for this ... I just need to figure out where to find YG 2-3 mm bezeled turquoise earrings! Any suggestions? :devil:

it costs 1k to check the archives!??!?!

did T&Co say that it is a T&Co piece?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope. But they didn't say it wasn't, either: they said (in a rather rote way which makes me think they get this a lot) "What we provide is valuation, not authentication." And if they can't provide valuation, apparently, they provide nada.

So it's still a mystery. Good thing I like an air of mystery, I guess ....

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Isn't that a bizarre answer! You'd think for older pieces like this, they'd be more helpful. I suppose they get so many requests they had to quit doing it.

When I worked there a woman brought in a magnificent evening purse from, looked like, the 1920s to 40s -- 18K gold mesh with blue sapphires all along the flap & a diamond accent design. I don't know what they charged her, but they did take it to authenticate for her. That was around 8 or 10 yrs ago.

Well, Circe, I still say if Betteridge says it's Tiff, you can pretty well take that to the bank. It was a good try! Now for those earrings....

--- Laurie

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well I value it as "magnificent." :razz:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just went back and re-read the whole thread... how backed up can they be if they're only "valuing" items currently in stock :roll: I could do that for them at the pace of a piece a minute, I reckon :roll:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Because they are not the old Tiffany. Providing historical info is expensive & it's now all about profit with as little service as possible. They DO have that info in their archives, don't want to pay somebody to dig it out. Good heavens, they have original sketches for Schlumberger's pieces & others -- John Loring wrote a book about them & some of the sketches were reproduced, framed, & hung in the rest room. While I doubt all their past designs are digitized, they're stored somewhere.

Guess you can't expect more of Tiffany now than you would of Kay's. :( Expediency is all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results