shape
carat
color
clarity

Designer Trunk Shows - Ever Met the Designer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinky

Rough_Rock
I was curious if many people out there go these things and have met the designers in person. What were your impressions - good or bad after meeting the designer behind the product?

I recently went to one, and was very excited to see all of the different rings and designs of this particular high end designer. I was also excited at the chance to meet the designer in person because I had long admired some their pieces. I happen to be looking at the counter at a time when there weren''t that many people. I got into a nice chat with the designer about some of his pieces and he was extremely nice. However, after inquiring about the pricing of 2 pieces and him finding out that I was more interested in purchasing a setting rather than a finished piece that included a center stone, he blew me off. Mind you by that time, there were some other customers around. But what I found rude was that I overheard him tell other sales people to move me away from the showcase because he wasn''t making a sale and there were other customers there. I stuck around because there was another setting I was really interested in and ready to buy once we talked some numbers, and it would have been a custom job to make the setting for my size stone. A nice saleswoman was trying to ask him about an estimate, when he blew her off in front of me. He said he needed to make sales and didn''t have time to even look at the piece to give an approximate estimate. This really rubbed me the wrong way. While I understand the need for him to make sales, I feel he was extremely rude and felt that he had bigger fish to entertain since I already had a center stone.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Jewel of NY

Rough_Rock
is there any way to share the designer''s name, without an etiquette violation? ''cause if it is Ritani, guess who wants to know before sending her job over to his people!!!!!

pinky

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to clarify, in case something was missed. I was there to look at this designer''s pieces including and more specifically his settings. I did find one that I was extremely interested in and was ready to put down money and an order for had he spent the minute to give an estimate or some kind of response in regards to making it fit for my stone, rather than blowing me off.

I totally understand the need for the designer to make sales and that these events are not inexpensive. However, I was there to make a purchase, but only after I get the right information I need to be sure I was making the right purchase (i.e. make sure it could be successfully done with my particular stone, etc). It would have been a 7k+ purchase. I don''t know about other people, but if I''m spending that kind of money (which might be considered small fish by some people''s standards but not for me), I want to feel good about the purchase and make sure I get my questions answered before shelling out the $. And, like I said, I waited around (away from the showcase) because I did realize there were other customers by the time I had my heart set on that particular ring. But after overhearing that big blowoff and rudeness, I no longer felt happy and decided my money should be spent elsewhere. For me, jewelry is and should be a "feel good" purchase, especially when it is a luxury item.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''ve BEEN the designer.

Feydakin sums it up nicely. Trunk shows are a PR stunt. The whole idea is to convince people, including the staff, that the designer is a brilliant artist and that the store is their select representative. It''s counterproductive for the designer to establish a relationship with you, this is what the salespeople are for and he would be a fool to step on their toes. The designer doesn''t set the prices so he has no real way of making a meaningful estimate but there should be someone on the sales floor who is trained to do this. When all goes well, the designer does this primadonna type performance in an area of the store that''s well away from the sales counters and customers who express interest are forwarded on to the sales staff who can show the inventory with the appropriate reverential awe.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
It''s been my experience that whenever I have meet designers (not just jewelry but in general)....I am usually very dissapointed. They rarely live up to the expectations that their creations suggest.. Maybe it takes away some of that "unknown" or mystery. I find it''s the same thing when you meet someone very famous - (singers, movie stars, etc).....suddenly they are just "people" - and some of the magic is gone. Anyone else notice this???

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I posted in Diamond Hangout my recent experience at a Michael Beaudry trunk showing. Though I was there 3 hours, I was not in front of his display case the entire time. There was a constant stream of people looking. A few times I couldn''t get close enough to see something I wanted, but a salesperson did eventually show me everything I wanted to look at.

It seems there was a post here a while back about someone (chinluvr ?) wanting to use h er own stone in a Beaudry setting. If I remember correctly, Beaudry would not stamp the inside of her ring with "Beaudry" if he did not supply the center stone. I don''t know Beaudry''s current policy on that issue.

Since I am on the hunt for that special ring, I have been trying to get to every trunk showing I can. I was really put off by the J B Star showing, rude, rude representive. Very pushy. And very vauge about costs. Beaudry was just the opposite.

reena

Ideal_Rock
if that''s acceptable/expected trunk show behavior, then please remind me never to go to one.

pinky

Rough_Rock
I guess each trunk show is different and handled different at each store. The reason I say this, is because if it is just the store''s sales people that are supposed to answer pricing questions, etc, this was not the case at all at this show. In fact it was just the opposite. The salespeople didn''t know the pricing for anything until talking to the designer! At least this was the case for most of the pieces. Most of the pieces in the case had different tags from store pieces apparently - meaning that he had brought his own and then there were a few pieces that were the store''s stock. So, basically everytime anyone was asking for the price of something, the salesperson went to talk to him to ask him. I guess there was also special pricing going on - and the price listed on the tag, was not the sale price for that day or if you place a special order.

Had the sales people had the empowerment to talk pricing and have all the info needed when making a sale to a customer, I think the trunk show would have been very different.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Judi has a point. While a trunk show may have the stock and variety that you as a buyer are looking for, meeting the designer and having them just be human, and possibly less than perfect, takes the mystic out of the "name", and may emotionally diminish the beauty somewhat. It''s too bad.....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do not teach public relations at the art school here... The few artists I got to talk with a befriend (not jewelry designers) complain bitterly of how dounting facing sales is. And their public shows are not even as bussy and commercially intensive as jewelry trunk show. This seems to be hard on both sides...

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand that designers at a trunk show cannot waste time having a social chat with everyone who comes along. Some people are really not prospective customers. However, there are ways of being tactful and making it clear that you have to go on to another customer without being obnoxious.You can offer the person a business card and ask them to get in touch with you when you are not as busy. Also, you never know with whom you are dealing and they may be in a position to recommend other customers if they think highly of you or they may buy your merchandise at another time.

I had a similar experience with a dealer at the prestigious NYC Armory Antiques Show. His prices are very high. I asked the price of one piece of jewelry and then thanked him and walked away. I did not waste any of his time because I knew I was not a prospective customer.

As I was leaving his booth, I picked up a three page stapled together zerox about a particular designer from a stack just sitting here. I assumed they were there for educational purposes and were free as most dealers do this. He came running after me as though I was a shop lifter and asked for it back since they were short of them and I had not bought anything from him.

I last heard that his business is not doing too well.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Steve,

I don''t entirely agree with you about the point of the shows. In many cases the designers objective is to build his customer base. His customer is the store, not the consumers that attend the show. One of the results of an effective show is that the store employees get enthusiastic about the line and consequently sell more. The store increases their inventory of the line, give it better display space, and feature it more in their direct advertising. The salespeople get to ''feel'' a broader selection of the line than they may have seen before because the store buyers didn''t select certain items. A good show can convert a marginal customer into a superb one.

It''s almost impossible to pay for the shindig out of the sales made during the show itself but a successful trunk show program can be a very effective part of building a brand. The store, on the other hand, can make some decent money out of it. The customers are happy because there is a sale going on and it all feels special. I agree that they can be a bit of a carnival and this is not an environment that is suitable for every customer but some seem to really love it.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
After reading this thread I have to say I think this designer was just plain RUDE. No one has to act like this, and further more, I am very surprised that some of you in the business have chosen to make excuses for his RUDENESS. A consumate professional makes everyone attending feel welcomed. If the designer cannot do this, then he/she needs to consider staying home so as not to ruin their image.
29.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/23/2004 7:56
6.gif
7 PM
Author: icelady
After reading this thread I have to say I think this designer was just plain RUDE. No one has to act like this, and further more, I am very surprised that some of you in the business have chosen to make excuses for his RUDENESS. A consumate professional makes everyone attending feel welcomed. If the designer cannot do this, then he/she needs to consider staying home so as not to ruin their image.
29.gif
Ice,

I wasn''t trying to make an excuse for his rudeness, merely to explain it. I certainly agree that this show was clearly not well done and the designer needs work on his manners.

Neil

solange

Brilliant_Rock
There is a distinct difference between being rude and being tactful. There are some people who will just waste a person's time with no intention of buying.This is really inconsiderate but sometimes you can't tell and it is worth a few minutes of your time. There are certain shops that I will not walk into even though I am interested in buying because they are very indifferent or snobbish. I spend my money where I am treated well.

This does not mean that you have to have long conversations and waste valuable time. But you build a reputation by being accommodating--not by being insulting. The dealers on Pricescope have proven this over and over again. I am sure they have often waste their time with people who are working with several dealers at the same time and really do not know what they want.But that is part of the business.

There is nothing wrong with politely telling someone that you would love to spend more time with them but that you are really busy. You can also tell them to call the store for more information and you will be happy to work with them when you have more time. The chances are that if they are not serious, this was just a whim and you will never hear from them again. Or they may just turn out to be a great customer in the future. If you insult them you will never know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results