shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo-hunting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kucinta

Rough_Rock
Hi all
35.gif
... so I've been lurking on PS for a few weeks now, learning from everyone and admiring all the GORGEOUS rings here... and today I think I found something to contribute to the wealth of knowledge! We're starting the diamond/e-ring hunt again (this is our 2nd time getting engaged... it's a long story
3.gif
)... I have a 1.18 F VS1 oval that we're looking to upgrade to around 2 cts.

At first I thought I wanted a Ritani Endless Love, then I saw the Michael B Trois and the Flower Ring and fell in love with them. I emailed Bill (Pearlman) to get a quote.

Here's the Michael B Trois:

Attachments

• trois_band.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,200

kucinta

Rough_Rock
I was also considering a Leon Mege (I still am!) But today I grabbed a bridal mag at lunchtime and happened to see a gorgeous Doron Isaak ring on the back... I'd never heard of Doron Isaak before. So I went straight back to my desk and searched PS for Doron Isaak haha. But the only post I found was this one. There weren't too many pictures on other sites either. This is from his Unity Collection (posted by Matatora):

doronunity.jpg

kucinta

Rough_Rock
I emailed both Doron Isaak directly, and Calvin's Jewelry in Austin, TX. Calvin's was awesome, they responded almost immediately and I've been trying their patience with lots of questions all afternoon! Here are more pics of Doron Isaak's work, kindly emailed to me by Calvin's.

I found out that his rings have two standard heads - the "bright star", which is a double halo, and the "infinity", which is a single halo.

Here's the Bright Star:

brightstar.jpg

kucinta

Rough_Rock
Here's a platinum/rose gold Unity ring with a Bright Star head: (how do I post more than one pic at a time?)

You can have pink diamonds (as shown) or white diamonds for $1600 less. And it can be made in rose gold/platinum, or rose gold/white gold, or all white gold, or all platinum!!

unityDI2.jpg

kucinta

Rough_Rock
And here''s the one I loved!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
The unity ring with the infinity (single halo) head - Calvin''s said that Doron could set it with any shape of center stone.

unityDI.jpg

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Yummy eye candy!! All of them are sooo pretty!!! I love the Infinity...
30.gif

kucinta

Rough_Rock
My only concern is the thickness of the braided shank... in some pics it looks like an elongated, elegant braid, but in other pics (like the two-tone one above), it kinda looks like a fat braid, which I don''t like. Doron''s Director of Communication said that the nearest store that carries their stuff is in Greenwich, CT (we''re in NYC), so we might take a weeked trip out to see the rings.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Those are all beautiful and unique. Are you staying with the oval shape??? I love ovals in halos...Or oval three stones...Or oval solitaires...I just love ovals. Congrats on your engagement!

kucinta

Rough_Rock
Wow you guys are fast! Here I was, still trying to fix the font size. :) I'm glad you could see the pics ok. Miranda, BlingDiva - I've actually looked at your rings and
30.gif
them! Hahah. Yes, we're staying with the oval shape.

Here's a pic of my current (soon to be replaced... for luck, I told him lol) wedding set, I don't have a pic of the e-ring on its own in good light so I'll post one tomorrow. It's a simple prong set with tapered baguettes. The 2 wedding bands are prong-set RBs and they fit flush with the e-ring.

wenset2.jpg

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Here''s a Ritani Endless Love setting that has an oval and three-row pave''...

RitaniEndlessLoveOval3.jpg

kucinta

Rough_Rock
Oooh... I looked at a Ritani Endless Love, and it's really sparkly and delicate (the skinny band version), but I think I'd prefer a prong-set center stone.

I'm so excited, tomorrow before work, we're going to look at a few ovals in the 2 ct range at a wholesaler in the Diamond District - Josh from James Allen arranged for us to see a couple of stones (we bought from DCD the first time around, and are using the trade up policy)

Have to go now... am totally ignoring my bf haha.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Soon to be replaced for luck! Ha ha good one. I just tried to tell DH it was soon to be our 11 year 4 month anniversary and it was time to go bling shopping! He doesn''t agree that 11 yrs. 4 mos. is a big deal!

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Calvin''s is a Wonderful B&M. I lived in Austin for quite awhile and shopped there. Can''t wait to see what you choose. Your current set is lovely.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, thanks for the eye candy..there are some gorgeous rings in that bunch...

kucinta

Rough_Rock
DQ: Thanks! It''s good to have your feedback about Calvin''s. I was so happy about their responsivesness that I spoke to my bf about taking a weekend trip there, but they don''t have the Unity ring in stock, it''d be a custom order, so I wouldn''t get to try it. I feel like I need to try it before deciidng, because the shank is so unusual... in some pics I love it and in some I don''t... we might make a trip to Steven B Fox in Greenwich CT to see Doron''s collection once we''ve got the new diamond in hand.

We''re seeing a few ovals in the Diamond District at 9.45am today! Am so excited, I''m awake already.. and it''s only 7am!
9.gif

A few other rings with curvy shanks that I love:

Michaeel B''s Flower ring (this is just way out of our budget!):

44P18.jpg

kucinta

Rough_Rock
This Leon''s got a split shank rather than a "woven" shank, but I like how the two parts of the shank curve outwards:

LMgina.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I like the infinity (perhaps done by LM!). Actually, I like the simple current mounting with bags, too!

While the woven bands are fun and different, I''d personally worry that I"d get tired of it in time...so I''d definitely stick with something more classic: single or split shank.

JMO!
widget

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2006 8:15:29 AM
Author: widget
Hmmm...I like the infinity (perhaps done by LM!). Actually, I like the simple current mounting with bags, too!

While the woven bands are fun and different, I''d personally worry that I''d get tired of it in time...so I''d definitely stick with something more classic: single or split shank.

JMO!

widget

I agree with widget. I''d stick with a simple pave halo setting that will be more classic. Some of the settings you posted are beautiful but would seem trendy and not really practical for everyday ring wear.

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love the braided shanks, I like to call them "trellis settings." The ring I fell in love with and am still waiting to be proposed to has a trellis band. Back in November, I couldn''t find very many pictures of anything like it, but it seems like it''s really starting to take off in popularity!!
37.gif
1.gif
26.gif

I don''t think you could go wrong with any of those settings.

kucinta

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies: Widget, MrsS, girlrocks, SeattleS... I had the same misgivings about everyday wear... especially after I realized that the "braid" goes all the way under. SeattleS, your dream ring seems a lot more sensible (and probably more comfortable) because the trellis goes only halfway and then becomes a normal shank underneath...

This is the gorgeous one posted by SeattleS (3/4s of the way down, the pic itself won't link properly).

I guess we'll have to look at the actual ring! Doron also does something close to a Michael B Trois and I'm hoping it's less expensive - will have to find out.

Oh... and... we chose a rock this morning!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Bf will talk to JA today about the trade up, etc.
It's a 2.02 D VS2 ideal oval. D:64.8%, T:57%, VG, G, no flour. Ratio: 1.41. It was between that and a great eyeclean 2.08 D SI1, but the slightly smaller one was actually sparklier and had less of a bowtie because it was cut slightly deep. I believe the AGA guidelines for oval depth are something like 59-63, but I find that slightly deeper ovals have less bowtie. Here's a helpful table that I saved on my computer ages ago that has pics of the relative bowtie depending on depth/ L-W ratio - I can't post the pic from work.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~That''s great that you were able to choose a rock!!! I can''t wait to see some pics of it!!!
36.gif

kucinta

Rough_Rock
It's finally sunny here in NYC, so I went up on the roof of our building and took some pics... here's our oval in a temp. display ring!
9.gif
We ended up going with a different stone than the one with the specs I posted above... it's stil a 2.02 D VS2 ideal... but is longer and "skinnier" (10.57 x 6.71) than the one we originally looked at. It's also fairly deep (64.7) with a relatively small table (53) but has hardly any bowtie at all!
9.gif
9.gif

I figure a halo would make it look a little wider... After having considered some of the more unusual settings above, I'm leaning towards my first favorite... the Michael B Trois (wish it weren't sooo pricey though!)... it's that or a variation of Reena's Leon Mege beauty.

(ETA: I wish I knew how to take those beautiful fiery shots some of the girls here have posted... any tips?)

gwoval3.jpg

kucinta

Rough_Rock
And this one so you can see how high it''s sitting off my finger (the perspective/size is deceptive!)

gwoval4.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Kucinta, that looks like a very pretty stone. And no bowtie! Love your kitty cat avatar too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results