shape
carat
color
clarity

To those who own / have owned warm colored diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
How do you like your diamond? How does it behave in most of the lighting you encounter during an average day? Has anyone ever asked you if it is a "white diamond"? Dreamer Dachsie,if you are reading this, do you mind sharing why you decided to upgrade from your K color? I''m just curious to hear about everyone''s unique warm colored stones! Maybe hearing a description from people familiar with this range would be more real and helpful than strictly judging color from a screen.
Thank you!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Zappy! I have talked about color in a couple of threads, here are the links (it is a lot to retype
4.gif
)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-are-lower-colored-diamonds-such-chameleons.134453/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/golly-gee.132750/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-of-a-change-to-notice-a-difference-in-color.130380/

Some in here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-or-size-oh-no-she-dint.130571/

To answer some of your other quesions NO ONE ever commented on my Ks color, except if I pointed it out and compared it to their higher color diamond and they were suprised it was a K. All people saw was a big sparkly diamond! To me, most of the time the diamond looked like warm vanilla, but at its worst it took on a beige tone that I did not like, especially from the side.

I will say my G is very eye catching, my husband comments all the time that he notices my diamond more now than he used to. The striking white of a more colorless diamond is exactly that, striking.

Lower color diamonds are beautiful, no question, but if you would really like a higher color and are going lower *only* to save money or get the size you want within your budget, then I suspect you would be disappointed. You have to love the color for what it is, and not try to learn to like it. It is a different flavour of diamond, and no one will notice it except for you. So you have to love it!

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
I have an M. It's a nice looking diamond. In YG, or in a setting with emeralds, it really took on a yellow glow. In white gold, which is what it's set in now, it is ivory color. Nobody ever notices the tint. And this diamond tends to reflect light different ways and can appear to be more or less yellow depending on the lighting. It sometimes looks dark body color to me on overcast days. Keep in mind that I've been wearing an high F mostly and an sometimes, so today when I wore the M for the first time in a long time, it looked a whole lot different from what I was used to wearing. I like L and M color. They are light yellow or ivory enough not be an off-white white. I'm not a huge fan of any yellows darker than N, though. Too much body color, and stronger yellows don't look right on my skin tone.

Someone on here, AsscherHaloLover, I think, has a gorgeous L color Asscher. EricaR has one, also.

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 10:38:04 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Hey Zappy! I have talked about color in a couple of threads, here are the links (it is a lot to retype
4.gif
)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-are-lower-colored-diamonds-such-chameleons.134453/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/golly-gee.132750/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-of-a-change-to-notice-a-difference-in-color.130380/

Some in here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-or-size-oh-no-she-dint.130571/

To answer some of your other quesions NO ONE ever commented on my Ks color, except if I pointed it out and compared it to their higher color diamond and they were suprised it was a K. All people saw was a big sparkly diamond! To me, most of the time the diamond looked like warm vanilla, but at its worst it took on a beige tone that I did not like, especially from the side.

I will say my G is very eye catching, my husband comments all the time that he notices my diamond more now than he used to. The striking white of a more colorless diamond is exactly that, striking.

Lower color diamonds are beautiful, no question, but if you would really like a higher color and are going lower *only* to save money or get the size you want within your budget, then I suspect you would be disappointed. You have to love the color for what it is, and not try to learn to like it. It is a different flavour of diamond, and no one will notice it except for you. So you have to love it!

Dachsie, thank you for getting back at me! I actually started to become interested in the K color range because of you
1.gif
but then when you decided it wasn''t for you, I wondered why and feared that it might not be as white as I imagined. The idea of "creamy" and "ivory" sound wonderful to me, as long as it is not flat out yellow. Seeing that your old stone took on a beige tint at times, did your diamond have more of a brown tint than yellow?

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 10:52:59 PM
Author: HVVS
I have an M. It's a nice looking diamond. In YG, or in a setting with emeralds, it really took on a yellow glow. In white gold, which is what it's set in now, it is ivory color. Nobody ever notices the tint. And this diamond tends to reflect light different ways and can appear to be more or less yellow depending on the lighting. It sometimes looks dark body color to me on overcast days. Keep in mind that I've been wearing an high F mostly and an sometimes, so today when I wore the M for the first time in a long time, it looked a whole lot different from what I was used to wearing. I like L and M color. They are light yellow or ivory enough not be an off-white white. I'm not a huge fan of any yellows darker than N, though. Too much body color, and stronger yellows don't look right on my skin tone.

Someone on here, AsscherHaloLover, I think, has a gorgeous L color Asscher. EricaR has one, also.

HVVS, do you suggest setting an L or M in a white metal? I can't figure out if YG helps the color due to contrast, or if it makes it look more yellow
28.gif

I have seen asscherhalolover's L and it is beautiful! I like the SLIGHT color it shows, but I'm not sure if that kind of tint would bother me if it were on my finger though. I take into consideration, however, that asschers take on more tint than rounds.

I am surprised to hear that no one notices tint in Ms...I think I will be pleasantly surprised when I see them in person
31.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wear an L colored asscher and I love it, but I specifically seek out lower colors because I prefer them (my sweet spot is K-M). I''ve never worn anything whiter than an EGL J (so comparable to my GIA L) and I love them for what they are. Of course, I''m speaking of old cuts, I don''t own any modern cut diamonds and can''t comment on those cuts in lower colors as I haven''t seen them in person. An L is an L and will never be stark white and that doesn''t bother me one bit. It surprises me with it''s whiteness sometimes, and its warmth at other times. My asscher is a good size (3 carat) and is flanked by K colored side stones and I''ve never had anything but compliments on it. Whenever I point out the lower color (as a point of pride, lol, cuz I love to flaunt the warmth so people know that lower colored stones can be beautiful too!) I usually get blank looks. Everyone thinks the diamond is white and they don''t detect any tint in it (that would be different if I were holding it next to an F, of course, but on its own it looks white to everyone). My stone is set in platinum and I personally feel that lower colored diamonds look best in white metals, but that''s a matter of preference.

I think it''s important for anyone considering a low color to see some in person before deciding. They aren''t for everyone and it''s difficult to tell from photos. Like Dreamer_Dachsie said, if you go into it feeling like you''re sacrificing color for size, etc. then you may never really embrace the color. But it''s very possible a K will be the most beautiful color you''ve ever seen :)

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 12:14:20 AM
Author: ericad
I wear an L colored asscher and I love it, but I specifically seek out lower colors because I prefer them (my sweet spot is K-M). I''ve never worn anything whiter than an EGL J (so comparable to my GIA L) and I love them for what they are. Of course, I''m speaking of old cuts, I don''t own any modern cut diamonds and can''t comment on those cuts in lower colors as I haven''t seen them in person. An L is an L and will never be stark white and that doesn''t bother me one bit. It surprises me with it''s whiteness sometimes, and its warmth at other times. My asscher is a good size (3 carat) and is flanked by K colored side stones and I''ve never had anything but compliments on it. Whenever I point out the lower color (as a point of pride, lol, cuz I love to flaunt the warmth so people know that lower colored stones can be beautiful too!) I usually get blank looks. Everyone thinks the diamond is white and they don''t detect any tint in it (that would be different if I were holding it next to an F, of course, but on its own it looks white to everyone). My stone is set in platinum and I personally feel that lower colored diamonds look best in white metals, but that''s a matter of preference.

I think it''s important for anyone considering a low color to see some in person before deciding. They aren''t for everyone and it''s difficult to tell from photos. Like Dreamer_Dachsie said, if you go into it feeling like you''re sacrificing color for size, etc. then you may never really embrace the color. But it''s very possible a K will be the most beautiful color you''ve ever seen :)

Erica, I apologize, it was YOUR asscher that I remember!! When I read the name AsscherHaloLover, your ring popped in my head right away because it is an asscher. (Sorry AHL, I should check your ring out too!) It is gorgeous! I don''t think it would be the same if it were a whiter color, the warmth gives it more character. I was surprised, too, to see how white it can look in some of your pictures though!

When I started to see Ks and Ls as a possibility, I watched some of Wink''s videos and those really got me hooked! It seems like the lower colored stones in his videos shoot off colors that I''ve never seen come out of higher colors.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My diamond *never* looked yellow. I don't know the technical aspects of its color grading, but the color I disliked the most was a taupe or tan color, or beige as I mentioned. It just wasn't for *me*, but lots of people love lower colors. It was a stunning diamond.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Zappy! I''ve had people ask if my K was a yellow diamond, but that is because the room we were in was a yellow color. As soon as I moved it into a less yellow area away from intense lighting, they could see it''s true color (warm,winter white). However, I''d say most of the people that I show my diamond to don''t get to see it''s actual color because it is constantly changing color based on the environment. For example, right now, its body color is gray with intense flashes of white and colored light because my office is gray and has strong fluorescent lighting. In the car, my diamond is beige with tons of colored light because my car interior is beige with low/ambient lighting. In bed, my diamond is red because I have a red curtain on the window behind my head board. I don''t know what makes my diamond such a chameleon (and I don''t mean an actual color change chameleon). It''s not an ideal cut but does have a very good cut. Others on PS have noted that their lower color diamonds tend to absorb and reflect environmental color in the way I have described. When I do see the actual color of my diamond, mostly at home and outside, it''s amazing and truly romantic! But I don''t mind it changing colors all the time. It''s beautiful, unruly, unique, strange, and down right awe inspiring. Good luck with your search. I hope my post has not been too confusing.

brilliance4me

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 9:35:55 PM
Author:Zappy
How do you like your diamond? How does it behave in most of the lighting you encounter during an average day? Has anyone ever asked you if it is a ''white diamond''? Dreamer Dachsie,if you are reading this, do you mind sharing why you decided to upgrade from your K color? I''m just curious to hear about everyone''s unique warm colored stones! Maybe hearing a description from people familiar with this range would be more real and helpful than strictly judging color from a screen.
Thank you!
I have a K color cushion. I love it. I see alot of brilliance in my diamond. My friends didn''t notice the lower color. They did however immediately comment on how clean/clear the diamond was (even though I can see my inclusions with naked eye).

The warm color is especially noticible to me when go to local jewelry stores and place my k to there more colorless stones. I have a sweet spot for warm brilliance J-K. I think with any diamond the cut and pol/sym really make a difference.

I see sparkle in my diamond in most lighting conditions unless its cloudy outside.

My avatar has one photo of my stone and the photo attached is a reset photo of same diamond.

Well thats my take on it but Im no expert.

36with1.58cushioin.JPG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think J is a little low if you want to try to get away with having no tint - maybe on a round you can but even then there is some... in some ways the even lower colors like NOP etc. look more intentional in their color and thus less apologetic.

I think the bottom line truly is only in the eye of the wearer. if the wearer understands that the different shades of clear are ultimately irrelevant then they can benefit from the OTHER c''s like carat, clarity.... and cut and pay no bother to what color the diamond is. The only difference really is that the rainbows on the more yellow stones have a RICHER color spectrum - slightly more jewel toned imo because they overlay the yellow - and we''re talking *slight*. I prefer it and many others do as well. But if you don''t quite feel ambivalent or in love with the yellows, you won''t be happy with it. I think maybe some people try to convince themselves they''re okay with it and ultimately it bothers them because in their hearts they want clear (for a variety of reasons) but for others it just totally doesn''t matter so any "rude" comments that might come from people just sound like ignorance, maybe even an opportunity to educate - but nothing to be offended about because you can only be offended about the color of your diamond if you secretly don''t like it. And then yet more people genuinely embrace the color BECAUSE of the richness it brings, not in spite of it. Because the diamond has a bit more heft (and I don''t mean because you can go bigger) the diamond has visually - the greater substance it carries because the diamond itself is more visable and because of the richness in color it lends, particularly to chunky styles.

You can love it, you can hate it, you can feel it is irrelevant - but its best not to try to fool yourself into believing you can convince yourself to feel something that you don''t.

I don''t regret my J but I do wish I''d set it in unplated white gold. Next time ;-)

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 11:27:29 PM
Author: Zappy

HVVS, do you suggest setting an L or M in a white metal? I can't figure out if YG helps the color due to contrast, or if it makes it look more yellow
28.gif

I have seen asscherhalolover's L and it is beautiful! I like the SLIGHT color it shows, but I'm not sure if that kind of tint would bother me if it were on my finger though. I take into consideration, however, that asschers take on more tint than rounds.

I am surprised to hear that no one notices tint in Ms...I think I will be pleasantly surprised when I see them in person
31.gif

White or yellow kind of depends on the undertone of the diamond (gray, brown, just yellow, does it have blue fiuor, etc.) Sometimes a diamond looks better in white, or better in yellow. My M diamond was sent in a 6 prong Tiffany type with WG head and YG shank when I bought it. It showed soft golden ivory color much of the time. Next, I reset it into a bolder mounting that still had a wG head but a whole lot more YG and also emeralds, because people said set light yelloe diamonds K nad below in YG. Hated it. The M really looked yellow and rather disappeared into the ring -- you'd see the sparkle in there but were not sure what it was. Then I went to a remount event and found a 14k WG mounting with baguettes that are very white. The M looks great in there. It still has it's vintage ivory look, but that sets it apart from the mounting and all the bright white baguettes. I like the contrast. Many '20s through '40s vintage rings are like that: Very light yellow diamond with platinum or white gold and very bright white sidestones.

I thought those M /N /O /P diamonds looked rather disgusting when I first saw them. I was used to whites. But I like the light yellows now, if they are very well cut.

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Snicklefritz, the "chameleon" effect sounds pretty awesome to me...I would think it gives the stone extra character that icy white diamonds may not have.

Brilliance4me, your diamond is gorgeous! ..and honestly, I would have never guessed it was a K from that picture...

Cehrabehra, I think that if I saw just a bit of tint, it would not bother me. I will hopefully be seeing some in person in the next week or two and I will let you all know how it went!

HVVS, the metal color effect is so weird to me! I never would have thought it would change the look of a stone so much. Would you happen to have any pictures of that stone on PS?

Thanks to all of you for responding, it''s really giving me something to think about!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results