shape
carat
color
clarity

To Keep or Not to Keep... that is the question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
As promised, please see some pics of my new 4ct, 5-step, Asscher cut that arrived on Saturday.
36.gif

I have been staring at it for 33 hours now...trying to imagine it in a setting...which will probably be just a knife edge solitaire, or maybe tapered bullets or bags.. but keeping it simple.

The diamond is mesmerizing, yet my only hangup (and I know it sounds terribly silly) is shrinkage... How? I think it''s from trying on 3ct rounds for sooo long (love that 9mm+), then falling in love with the asscher cut. My current e-ring is a round -- which is a nice 7.43mm. I''m getting hung up on size, and it''s killing me since this stone is truly a work of art (well, art and nature).
I really don''t want another round, but maybe I should look at 5ct asschers to get the same "face up" as a 3ct round? Such problems, I know, but this is my first and last upgrade and I want to be 100% this is the stone for me. This one sure is a beauty, and unique, that''s why I love the asschers.. and from what I''ve learned they are hard to find in this size, let alone a "kicken" one... I''ll keep you posted on the outcome!

newasscher3.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For perspective, how about some hand shots?

cheers--Sharon

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your asscher is gorgeous!

It looks great in the size it is. I think 5 ct is a bit excessive!!!

What are your plans with your current round stone? Can you upgrade THAT to a 3 ct and also keep the asscher you purchased?

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I tried handshots -- but the stone is in one of those temporary holders and it doesn''t stay on very well...

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 8:26:59 PM
Author: MC

What are your plans with your current round stone? Can you upgrade THAT to a 3 ct and also keep the asscher you purchased?
My plans are to keep my current e-ring intact -- I still love it and it''s sentimental. I would never give up that stone.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a beautiful stone, but if it's too small today it's REALLY going to be too small in a week... a month... a year...

The sad thing about these diamonds is that they don't get any *bigger* over time!
39.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 8:30:42 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
I think it is a beautiful stone, but if it''s too small today it''s REALLY going to be too small in a week... a month... a year...

The sad thing about these diamonds is that they don''t get any *bigger* over time!
39.gif
Good point Dee*Jay.. but maybe once it''s mounted it will look larger? I had it in a temp setting at the vendor and it looked HUGE. But loose, not as big...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
For the record...no offense...there is NO SUCH THING as excessive!!
2.gif

And for another record...there is no such thing as the last upgrade. Really. Do what you feel is right...and if you are wrong...change it! As rare as that cut and size are, you aren''t going to have a hard time moving it!

That one is kickin! Everyone is going to say what a great "_ _ _ " you have! I would love to hear that...just once. But I was born with the wrong.....shape!!!
2.gif

DKS

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Oh. My. Gosh.

That is a STUNNING stone! The steps, the windmills, it''s just
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Definitely has my vote.

Also, I agree about the "last upgrade" concept. It puts SO much pressure on what is already a hard decision. Choose what you like best now, and don''t stress about the "forever" choice.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock

I have to agree with MC on this one. I'm sure a 4ct asscher will be just fine on your hand and it looks like a gorgeous stone. To me, there IS such a thing as too excessive...and to me, 5cts becomes either cartoonish or looks like one is trying to hard to show off. I think the size you have will give you plenty of finger coverage, yet still be classy and not fake/cartoonish looking. I know a lot of ladies here think there's no such thing as "too big", but I definitely think there's a cut off point where for daily wear it starts to look fake. As MC said, I think 5cts. is teetering on the edge of that.

Is this a RA? It looks like one... I think you're right about a simple setting. Why not see Leon and consider side stones like stepped traps or bullets? That'll give a touch more side coverage and might be just the right finishing touch (though honestly it looks perfect to me). There's a fav thread of mine here where the guy had his asscher set in the perfect setting for a gorgeous asscher. Check it out..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-asscher.22605/

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 8:41:18 PM
Author: BigDiamonds
Oh. My. Gosh.

That is a STUNNING stone! The steps, the windmills, it''s just
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Definitely has my vote.

Also, I agree about the ''last upgrade'' concept. It puts SO much pressure on what is already a hard decision. Choose what you like best now, and don''t stress about the ''forever'' choice.
Thanks BigDiamonds --- DH said I "was done for awhile" with this purchase !!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 8:44:56 PM
Author: surfgirl

I have to agree with MC on this one. I''m sure a 4ct asscher will be just fine on your hand and it looks like a gorgeous stone. To me, there IS such a thing as too excessive...and to me, 5cts becomes either cartoonish or looks like one is trying to hard to show off. I think the size you have will give you plenty of finger coverage, yet still be classy and not fake/cartoonish looking. I know a lot of ladies here think there''s no such thing as ''too big'', but I definitely think there''s a cut off point where for daily wear it starts to look fake. As MC said, I think 5cts. is teetering on the edge of that.

Is this a RA? It looks like one... I think you''re right about a simple setting. Why not see Leon and consider side stones like stepped traps or bullets? That''ll give a touch more side coverage and might be just the right finishing touch (though honestly it looks perfect to me). There''s a fav thread of mine here where the guy had his asscher set in the perfect setting for a gorgeous asscher. Check it out..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-asscher.22605/
Thanks Surfgirl ..Maybe I''m just caught up with the #''s.. since 5ct asscher really is the same mm as a 3ct round (according to the mm chart)... but a 4ct or 5ct round to me would be way to big on my finger, 3ct, just right! I''ll check out the thread - Thanks a lot :)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
omg my drool just hit the keyboard!!! that is phenomenal!!! i would love to see that stone in a leon setting with channel set step cut anythings! oh that is beyond sensational!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
That is one mesmerizing asscher
6.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

In terms of setting that baby I think it would look OMG amazing in a really simple platinum setting with trap sides OR if your really worried about the shrinkage factor what about a halo of (i think they are baguettes or emeralds) they melt seamlessly into the stone and give it an overall bigger presence. I think Daniel K does one not sure.

GL with your upgrade

Cyren

Rough_Rock
I think that''s a beauty--no need to go larger, it''s simply stunning.

If you wanted more finger coverage, can I suggest something like this?

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=210

or, simpler, witch I think really sets off the size of a stone like that and shows it off as the BOULDER it is

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=69

Without the pave--the tiny band would surely make a stone so beautiful and LARGE pop.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
wowsers that asscher is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hee hee i manage to get the ring on the finger in a temp holder...i even wore mine around the house with it, hahaa. it''s amazing what you can do when truly inspired!!! hand shots!

that is a really beautiful stone. however, i will second and third what other people have said here which is ... it doesn''t get bigger, it only gets smaller. if it''s bothering you now that it''s smallish, it will get worse. if this is your one shot, you MAY consider trying to find a 5c asscher and comparing the two. but yeah beautiful larger asschers are probably a lot harder to find than large well-cut rounds (and even those are somewhat scarce!).

one of my most favorite rings ever is the 5.5c cartier asscher that has been posted on here numerous times. i would love a 5c asscher, but not sure if i''d trade my round to get it. i love them both.

anyway, i think you should cover all your bases and make sure you are 10000% happy with this stone, size, look, etc. make it count if this is your one shot. make sure you are jazzed with the outcome.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a beautiful stone; if you think it''s too small now though you probably always will.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I think the smaller face of the diamond will bother you as you are already painfully aware that it is much smaller than even a 3 carat rb. If you are buying a 4 carat stone you obviously want size. I would hate to have shrinkage even before the ring has been set...not a great start. And, I dont think the cut will excite you if all you see when you look at it is a too small diamond.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 1:09:57 AM
Author: Mara
hee hee i manage to get the ring on the finger in a temp holder...i even wore mine around the house with it, hahaa. it''s amazing what you can do when truly inspired!!! hand shots!

that is a really beautiful stone. however, i will second and third what other people have said here which is ... it doesn''t get bigger, it only gets smaller. if it''s bothering you now that it''s smallish, it will get worse. if this is your one shot, you MAY consider trying to find a 5c asscher and comparing the two. but yeah beautiful larger asschers are probably a lot harder to find than large well-cut rounds (and even those are somewhat scarce!).

one of my most favorite rings ever is the 5.5c cartier asscher that has been posted on here numerous times. i would love a 5c asscher, but not sure if i''d trade my round to get it. i love them both.

anyway, i think you should cover all your bases and make sure you are 10000% happy with this stone, size, look, etc. make it count if this is your one shot. make sure you are jazzed with the outcome.
Hi Mara -- first of all -- I have learned so much from your posts -- thank you for replying...
I have been walking around the house with the ring on my finger -- but on my thujmb... as it still doesn''t even fit well on that finger... I have very small fingers -- and I''m just so nervous that I will bang into something or it will slide off. It''s also set like 2" above my finger so I couldn''t get a great hand shot... I''ll try to put the loose stone on my finger for a few shots today.

Also bringing in a 5ct asscher and 3ct round to compare them all (size wise)..

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 1:03:56 AM
Author: strmrdr
wowsers that asscher is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Storm -- thanks for posting -- again, your expert opinion means so much.. I have spent countless days/nights reading and learning all of your posts...I feel I have earned a degree in Asschers! Thanks again.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
I went through a smaller-scale version recently! First, that is one beautiful stone!!! Yet, the old shrinkage disease is deadly. I purchased an upgrade 7.3 mm square emerald cut in April of this year. I hesitated at the time of purchase because I was worried that it was not quite large enough for my "dream ring". I immediately developed shrinkage and have not enjoyed my stone nearly as much as it deserves. The B&M where I purhcased it does not have a good enough trade-up policy for me, so I started looking for an additional stone!!! Right after spending more than the value of my car on what was supposed to be my final DREAM RING. See my avatar? That is not the expensive dream asscher ring. That is a much less valuable, 8.7 x 8.7, M color RB that I bargain-hunted-for expressly to satisfy my craving for size. Between the cost of the 2 stones, settings, etc I could have had one heck of a ring. Shockingly, my DH has no crucified me for this expenditure. I do still love my sq. emerald, and honestly--side by side they do not look very different in size even though one stone is 7.3mm and the other is 8.7 mm.

I can only give you my ridiculous experience. I wish that i would have truly embraced my need for size. Ahhh, please don't crucify me with the psychology of my actions--I am a therapist and I am fully aware of my female macho needs as it relates to a large rock on my finger
emotion-14.gif
. I think you should a least look at the 3ct RB & the larger asscher if you can afford them........

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
First of all, that asscher is GORGEOUS! I don''t consider myself an asscher-girl, but I love that stone! Putting that aside though, if you are having doubts, I wouldn''t keep this stone. It may take some time, but you will be able to find a larger asscher that is just as stunning. Although Cyren did have a good idea that maybe the right setting would show off the stone. I couldn''t see the Leon links though, so I can''t chime in on them.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Asschers face up smaller than rounds, but I personally think that''s a good thing. Asschers, in my opinion, are sweet, delicate works of art that look their lovliest in "smaller" sizes (around 2ct and under). I work in an artistic environment and I see asschers everywhere.

But shrinkage, darling! I can''t imagine you getting shrinkage with one of the heaviest diamonds on this board!
30.gif

All joking aside, I don''t know if I''d go bigger than where you are on an asscher. They have a femininity to them that shouldn''t necessarily enter the "big and honkin'' rock" stage. If you really want something to cover your whole finger, maybe a round is the way to go. Though that is one kickin'' asscher you''ve got there. I''d hold on to it if I were you.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 9:52:08 AM
Author: tberube
Asschers face up smaller than rounds, but I personally think that''s a good thing. Asschers, in my opinion, are sweet, delicate works of art that look their lovliest in ''smaller'' sizes (around 2ct and under). I work in an artistic environment and I see asschers everywhere.

But shrinkage, darling! I can''t imagine you getting shrinkage with one of the heaviest diamonds on this board!
30.gif

All joking aside, I don''t know if I''d go bigger than where you are on an asscher. They have a femininity to them that shouldn''t necessarily enter the ''big and honkin'' rock'' stage. If you really want something to cover your whole finger, maybe a round is the way to go. Though that is one kickin'' asscher you''ve got there. I''d hold on to it if I were you.
Thanks tberube - you make a great point. I love a classic look - understated elegance... but I''m a closet "big honkin'' rock" lover.
10.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i dunno rube, i''ve seen some amazing huge asschers and i think that they are even prettier larger. well i''m a size whore like many of us PS gals so i''m biased, but i love that the larger the asscher, the better you can see the steps. smaller asschers just don''t do it for me. my coworker has a 1.5c one and it''s beautiful but you have to squint in to see the steps most of the time and for the first month i knew her, i thought it was a princess. sacrilege!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 10:57:57 AM
Author: Mara
i dunno rube, i''ve seen some amazing huge asschers and i think that they are even prettier larger. well i''m a size whore like many of us PS gals so i''m biased, but i love that the larger the asscher, the better you can see the steps. smaller asschers just don''t do it for me. my coworker has a 1.5c one and it''s beautiful but you have to squint in to see the steps most of the time and for the first month i knew her, i thought it was a princess. sacrilege!
I think we all know by now I''m NOT a size whore, but I totally agree with the bigger the Asscher, the better the visual of the cut.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I understand you wanting visual justifcation for $$ spent--it is natural to seek added value in a diamond--whether it is size, clarity, color or cut. That said, I tried on a 7.4 asscher this weekend--and it was definately too big (yes, yes even for me....LOL); but there is a happy medium and perhaps for you it is a 5 carat stone. How do you know unless you see for yourself? Check it out, make your comparisons and satisfy your heart and head. Since you are in the market, you should get exactly what you want!

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results